00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

nuggetior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What do you look for in a top-down?

351 Views | 4 Replies

If you open up a 10/10 top-down shooting game, what would you expect? What are the key elements that get your attention? Do you look for a certain game mode?

There's an ugly chimpanzee in my bathroom and won't stop yelling the f word

Response to What do you look for in a top-down? 2018-01-10 16:34:14

Realism. Blood sprouts, wounds, hanging gore..

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to What do you look for in a top-down? 2018-01-11 15:17:19

Depends on the size of the game. If it's supposed to be a short shooter, it should be really playable, that is - probably have some fun action elements. I really enjoyed pixel purge:

It it's a bigger game then it should have fun content in general, not just mechanics. Creativity is the way.

Response to What do you look for in a top-down? 2018-01-13 21:37:56

Whatever you do don't just spam the player.

Also, if you absolutely have to have some follower or "zombie" type of enemies, use them extremely sparingly. Nothing is more annoying in a top-down game than one which spams the player and all the enemies are these mindless homing-in-on-the-player types. Ideally though, avoid "zombie" or homing type enemies, with an exception of maybe a boss or something.

Also go easy on the effects. Player controls locking up, extreme lag, and such is how you make a very poor game.

Ideally, program the game extremely efficiently as well. I know it's a lost art and maybe means nothing to most programmers these days (because they lack the skills to pull it off) but it'll make a huge difference if you know what you're doing.

In everything you do, think "Will this make the game run like crap?" If so, don't do that.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to What do you look for in a top-down? 2018-01-14 04:29:00

Something like Hotline Miami