00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

This and That

306 Views | 1 Reply

This and That 2018-01-07 01:16:47

Hello everyone!

A while ago @FightingSeraph shared a Go Nagai quote on war: "I guess this is one of the reasons why Japanese people, who have been raised for the last 60 years reading comics that some people abroad have labeled as hyper-violent, chose not to be involved in war after 1945 and have stated in their very constitution that they renounce war, as opposed to a country like the US, which has strong censorship against violence in animation and programs for children, but has been at war for most of its recent history."

....and this quote reminds me of something I once said:

The only reason the United States Government hates me is because I can't make weapons for them.

Discuss.

"If you don't stand up for yourself... everyone will walk all over you." -Donald Trump

BBS Signature

Response to This and That 2018-01-07 14:08:26

It's hard to beat ol' Go Nagai's manga when it comes to being ultra violent - nice guy in person, by the way.

Japan is a much different culture than the US. They are still very much.... How can I say... a feudal, or samurai, based culture, but instead to feudal lords it's to heads of business and corporations. And that has served them well since the end of WW2. They didn't need to invade other countries to become rich. They were able to become a wealthy country based on the quality of their products - similar to Germany. Though, Japan is currently facing tough times.

The other difference is that after WW2 the US military industry shot off, and has had a very strong lobbying connection in politics ever since. It's practically ingrained itself into conservative ideology, along with gun rights - In Japan, gun control is incredibly strict, so no firearm industry. And unlike Japan, the US is a Christian based country, so it has strong thoughts about violence and sex in the media, and in public, which seems rather contradictory to it's insatiable appetite for those things - though they are often called by different names, and justified accordingly. Such as war is not about invading, and killing numerous innocent civilians, but bringing freedom to those people, while trying to control their natural resources, and making money off all the destruction.