00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up

1,513 Views | 31 Replies

And so comes the fourth installation of Art Forum Battle Royale... is what I'd like to say. However it seems the battle royale has taken something of a four year hiatus.

I would like to change that. This thread is to gauge interest and drum up interest over the period of a few days.

>>>What the Art Forum Battle Royale is.

The former Art Forum Battle Royale.
The Art forum Battle Royale is a group collaboration where multiple people draw an ongoing comic interacting/reacting with other characters and/or the environment.

>>> The Premise

This year the art forum battle royale will take place in the areas surrounding the Four Hearts Salt Refinery. Players (Your character) will contest, and battle for, control of the salt factory. You can make friends, you can make enemies, you can make friends with your enemies to betray your friends. Then betray your frenemies.

Areas in the map include, but are not limited to: the Four Hearts Salt Factory, The Salt Mines of Tomb-Blar, The Endless Sea of Salt, and The Plains of Salinity.

>>>The would-be rules:

I would very much prefer a laissez faire approach to this. However a few rules are necessary.

These rules are subject to change pending opinions.

1.You must put effort into your drawings. No stick figures. If you've only been drawing for a short time I would also prefer you observe rather than participate. If you are unsure feel free to ask where you think you fall under. I want to stress however there is no actual rule against participating if you really want to.

2.No Edgys. That isn't to say you can have a dark or grotesque character, or even a broody and miserable one. Just no characters along the line of "Dank Bill, evil dark night blood vampire one-winged dark angel brother of Hank Hill" or "One-Tap the elite dual-deagle wielding Call of Duty first-person headshoot man."

3.No invincibility. Self explanatory. If your character can survive impalement and or a shot to the forehead that's fine. But you'd need illustrate it in an interesting way beyond just spouting "Wubbo Lubbanium E Dubania Dubere!~" and magically rematerializing.

Keep in mind you are very much allowed to introduce another character too.

4.Uhh idunno normal forum rules too. So no characters with shit vomiting dick nipples.

Feel free to post would-be characters and/or ask questions. Again, this is just a thread to gauge interest and not the real-deal. It will be open participation: you do not have to sign up or announce your participation. I would, however, ask you express your interest and at least commit to a reply until you or someone else kills your character.

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-03 12:22:44

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-03 13:15:03

I, THE ALMIGHTY SHAUN, CLAIM THIS SALT FACTORY FOR MY PEOPLE

GAZE UPON MY MAGNIFICENCE

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-03 13:20:46

REMINDER: This is not the official thread, but the thread I made to test the waters and see who will show up for the real thing. I'm afraid I was a bit too vague in the announcement.

At 1/3/18 01:15 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I, THE ALMIGHTY SHAUN, CLAIM THIS SALT FACTORY FOR MY PEOPLE

GAZE UPON MY MAGNIFICENCE

*fears u*

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-03 13:42:52

At 1/3/18 01:20 PM, Spedmallet wrote: REMINDER: This is not the official thread, but the thread I made to test the waters and see who will show up for the real thing. I'm afraid I was a bit too vague in the announcement.

WHOOPS

BBS Signature

At 1/3/18 12:22 PM, Spedmallet wrote: Callout to some of the lads from the last thread:

@JackDCurleo
@TurkeyOnAStick
@Havegum
@LoboF
@123mine123
@Daker777NG
@Tofelium
@ZaneZansorrow
@omega88x
@iceimp
@LegolaSS
@fxscreamer
@Luwano
@TaraGraphika

Thanks for doing this. Might take a week until I can participate, so keep it going everyone. The angry bean shall return.

Edit: I just noticed that you repeatedly said, it's not the thread yet, so... instead of keep it going, get it going well everyone.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-03 14:17:54

I remember this being alot of fun:33

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

At 1/3/18 02:17 PM, Flowers10 wrote: I remember this being alot of fun:33

Get the lead out my good lad, I'd love to see your contributions

At 1/3/18 01:54 PM, Luwano wrote: Thanks for doing this. Might take a week until I can participate, so keep it going everyone. The angry potato shall return.

Edit: I just noticed that you repeatedly said, it's not the thread yet, so... instead of keep it going, get it going well everyone.

One week actually sounds good to me. I will post an official start date after some more responses

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-03 15:40:29

Bill was on his way to the office when he was attacked by a salt water crocodile. he caught the beast and has now been wrestling it for about an hour. he cant hold on for long anymore though....

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-03 15:49:14

At 1/3/18 03:40 PM, Flowers10 wrote: Bill was on his way to the office when he was attacked by a salt water crocodile. he caught the beast and has now been wrestling it for about an hour. he cant hold on for long anymore though....

No!!! SHHH! Not yet. Actual thread in a week. I'll link anyone posting in here when a date is set.

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-03 15:52:05

At 1/3/18 03:49 PM, Spedmallet wrote: No!!! SHHH! Not yet. Actual thread in a week. I'll link anyone posting in here when a date is set.

patients is not in my move set mannn >,<

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-03 18:14:42

At 1/3/18 02:28 PM, CoolCatDaddio wrote: Color me interested, I shall return with a drawing when im done sleeping

don't worry, you have around a week of sleep time.

Aw heck while I'm at it:
@template88 @kehny @oddlem

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

At 1/3/18 12:22 PM, Spedmallet wrote: Callout to some of the lads from the last thread:

@JackDCurleo
@TurkeyOnAStick
@Havegum
@LoboF
@123mine123
@Daker777NG
@Tofelium
@ZaneZansorrow
@omega88x
@iceimp
@LegolaSS
@fxscreamer
@Luwano
@TaraGraphika

I'm glad you did this because that previous art forum battle royale was one of the funnest things I've done here and I'm excited that it's gonna happen again

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-03 19:06:09

LETS DO IT!!! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-03 19:14:16

sign me up fam

My tumblr yo.

My art thread.

If anyone wanna be drawing pals, add me on discord fam "daker#3361"

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-03 20:05:58

I'm in, but I didn't had much chance to practice in college so my art might be rusty

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-03 22:26:58

ooo it'd love to do this!

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-03 23:29:38

I see the last one was a great success that ended up in failure.

I'm so in.

yessss

At 1/3/18 06:58 PM, omega88x wrote: I'm glad you did this because that previous art forum battle royale was one of the funnest things I've done here and I'm excited that it's gonna happen again

Ayy. You were definitely an integral part of the last thread. Just keep your rules two and three in check. XD

At 1/3/18 10:26 PM, Kaisayshai wrote: ooo it'd love to do this!

oh hey, I haven't seen you before. Always nice to see a fresh face... account. Welcome! Looking forward to some of your future work

At 1/3/18 11:29 PM, kehny wrote: I see the last one was a great success that ended up in failure.

I'm so in.

yessss

oh man, it's Kehny-Bro. Good to see you lad

At 1/3/18 07:06 PM, 123mine123 wrote: LETS DO IT!!! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!
At 1/3/18 08:05 PM, LoboF wrote: I'm in, but I didn't had much chance to practice in college so my art might be rusty
At 1/3/18 07:14 PM, Daker777NG wrote: sign me up fam

And good to see so many other familiar accounts as well. Well everyone, if there is no objections over the course of today (the fourth)I will be setting the start date at 01/08/2018.

Come the fifth I will link everyone who has posted in this thread the date I will start the thread.

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

I'm a little on the fence about joining, college is starting back up next week and I have the magical ability to never finish what I'm supposed to do. .w . ;; Then again it's p late right now so I'll probably have more energy later and join in. Also it's great to have ya back mate.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-04 17:17:14

@TurkeyOnAStick
@Luwano
@Flowers10
@CoolCatDaddio
@omega88x
@123mine123
@Daker777NG
@LoboF
@Kaisayshai
@kehny
@Oddlem

Alright! So it is settled. I will start the thread on the 8th. Again I want to stress it's open for participation for anyone, then and later. Be sure to check back on the eighth and be ready to rumble.

and ayy, ty Oddlem-Fam

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-05 01:01:55

This sounds nifty. I actually used to participate in an OC brawl tournament on DeviantART back in the day and have been looking for something similar. So0oOo hell yeah, count me in. Can't promise what I puke out will be pretty, but I do promise to put in effort.

Is there any rule against having multiple weaker characters as opposed to one major character?
Character idea: an army of like 30 salt golems risen from the depths of Tomb-Blar. Given that they'd be made of halite and maybe some surrounding minerals, they'd probably sustain significant damage from a fist alone. Other than numbers, their only real advantage would be using loose salt in their surroundings to repair or bulk up.

Do we PM people involved in our panels or just go for it? Is there going to be a system for declaring/calling out the characters in your next submission so there's no overlap? Or is it just first come, first served? In the brawl I used to participate in, it was highly structured, with wins/losses being determined by dice rolls (though the details were worked out as desired). Idc either way, just want a feel for the procession.

(>'-')>

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-05 10:22:09

At 1/5/18 01:01 AM, Zhon wrote: Can't promise what I puke out will be pretty, but I do promise to put in effort.

That'd be all I could ask for.

Is there any rule against having multiple weaker characters as opposed to one major character?

Not at all: in fact I intended to do something similar with characters with weaker thralls. Just don't harass everyone at once.

Character idea: an army of like 30 salt golems risen from the depths of Tomb-Blar. Given that they'd be made of halite and maybe some surrounding minerals, they'd probably sustain significant damage from a fist alone. Other than numbers, their only real advantage would be using loose salt in their surroundings to repair or bulk up.

Maybe have a central character controlling them? I could just claim my character did it if you don't feel like it.

Do we PM people involved in our panels or just go for it? Is there going to be a system for declaring/calling out the characters in your next submission so there's no overlap?

Yeah just link that person and/or make a post that says something like "Making a response!"

Or is it just first come, first served?

It's Calvinball rules. But like I said, you can make a post saying you're making a response involving someone.

In the brawl I used to participate in, it was highly structured, with wins/losses being determined by dice rolls (though the details were worked out as desired). Idc either way, just want a feel for the procession.

No RNG! Just C-R-E-A-T-I-V-I-T-Y

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-05 11:35:03

Fantabulous. I'd be down to have your dude be the halimancer. For everyone's sake I'll keep a running count whenever I post.

(>'-')>

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-05 16:21:20

Hmmmmm........

steps back into the shadows

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-05 19:16:23

At 1/5/18 04:21 PM, LegolaSS wrote: Hmmmmm........

steps back into the shadows

*shines headlights*

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-06 18:31:24

Could be a nice change of pace. :D

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-07 09:18:33

Lets go

Support me on my Patreon!

Response to Art Forum Battle Royale Drum-up 2018-01-07 12:49:30

I'm interested in this, so count me in!