00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

job as a Photo Retouch-up?

310 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

job as a Photo Retouch-up? 2018-01-01 16:37:09

hello, i have a simple question i would like to ask, and ill try to make it short to not waste anybody's time

currently I am studying animation, but I am certain I'm not anywhere near capable of making a professional studio-quality animation. and I was hoping I could get your advice on artists/animators such as yourselves on what you relied on for income while you were studying animation and art to perfection?

I was thinking and I thought maybe Photo Retouch-up should be an easy thing to learn, as I already am really experienced in Adobe Photoshop.

is it worth applying for a job as a photo-retouchup rather than working at some grocery store while i use my free time to learn animation and art?
am i capable of photo-retouchup, or should study just a bit more before applying?
is there any good sites which i can find a job as one?
and if i am not capable, and you have a better suggestion, please do let me know. I want to one day be a professional animator like most of you guys and gals here

I would also love to hear your story on how you've risen to be an animator while keeping up with day to day struggles

here is my work so far

I don't fuckin know, you tell me

BBS Signature

Response to job as a Photo Retouch-up? 2018-01-01 16:38:20

and this one

BBS Signature

Response to job as a Photo Retouch-up? 2018-01-02 06:47:03

At 1/1/18 06:44 PM, GriffianSword wrote: I think your question is better asked on the animation forum. As for your stuff, while it's not my area of expertise by any means, it looks good.

I know, but i would then regret bringing up photo retouch-up in an animations forum .-.

I appreciate the complement ^^ thank you

so far I think ill try freelancing in some sites which I've found, hopefully things go well

BBS Signature

Response to job as a Photo Retouch-up? 2018-01-02 12:12:27

I think you'd have the most success making websites and logo's for local businesses, if that's within your abilities. Photo retouching is not a very common job, so I doubt you'll find much freelance work 'offline' so to speak.

For online endeavors, there are websites where you can list your services for people to buy. Online means there is a large offering of jobs but also a large offering of artists. You'll have to compete with artists from poorer countries as well, meaning they'll probably have very low rates.

I'd advise you to stay away from websites that offer jobs in contest form. While the reward is usually much higher than on regular listings, the chance of getting it is usually very low unless you're exceptionally good. It's a borderline scam where you deliver goods for free so they can select the cream of the crop.

BBS Signature

Response to job as a Photo Retouch-up? 2018-01-02 15:11:28

At 1/2/18 12:12 PM, MeMB wrote: I think you'd have the most success making websites and logo's for local businesses, if that's within your abilities. Photo retouching is not a very common job, so I doubt you'll find much freelance work 'offline' so to speak.

is there a lot of jobs regarding that? i will certainly look up quick tutorials to give me an idea of how to work in websites and logos if so.
does it mean i should look up jobs online or in my area?

I'd advise you to stay away from websites that offer jobs in contest form. While the reward is usually much higher than on regular listings, the chance of getting it is usually very low unless you're exceptionally good. It's a borderline scam where you deliver goods for free so they can select the cream of the crop.

a friend recommended me https://www.freelancer.com/
but ever since you mentioned extreme competition... im not too certain about how the site handles competition, i just recently joined

would be pretty great if i could work for different people across the globe and not have to rely on just people in my area
also i really appreciate the advice! you helped save me time digging too much into photo retouching. i should invest some time in graphic design, and logos

BBS Signature

Response to job as a Photo Retouch-up? 2018-01-03 07:59:09

I don't know if there are a lot of jobs in your area, but generally you'll be able to find some businesses near you that have a poor logo or website. You could actively contact them with an offer. Once you build up a portfolio of designs, people will be more likely to accept your offer or even approach you themselves. Building websites generally requires some knowledge of coding or WordPress or something similar.

I have no experience with Freelancer.com, but it looks okay to me. The rates probably won't be great due to the competition, but it's not what I meant with a contest site. A contest site like 99designs.com let's people host contests for artwork, let's say a logo. And they get to pick one or more winners from all contestants who will receive a prize. They can then decide to use that person's artwork. Meaning every other artists gets nothing at all, despite maybe several hours of work.

BBS Signature

Response to job as a Photo Retouch-up? 2018-01-04 08:11:52

At 1/3/18 07:59 AM, MeMB wrote:

Once you build up a portfolio of designs, people will be more likely to accept your offer or even approach you themselves. Building websites generally requires some knowledge of coding or WordPress or something similar.

that honestly sounds like it would require too much study in other programs which im not familiar with .-. not to mention build a portfolio out of my area of expertise. im more comfortable around photoshop and not too much into coding

I have no experience with Freelancer.com, but it looks okay to me. The rates probably won't be great due to the competition, but it's not what I meant with a contest site. A contest site like 99designs.com let's people host contests for artwork, let's say a logo. And they get to pick one or more winners from all contestants who will receive a prize. They can then decide to use that person's artwork. Meaning every other artists gets nothing at all, despite maybe several hours of work.

ah i understand. those do sound rather dumb and pointless unless you're really confident in your skills and expertise
im not "too" confident in coding, neither am i with contacting businesses in my location
ill have to rely on freelancing then, and try to cover as much areas of expertise as possible, including logo designs

thank you so much for your words of wisdom! i now know i cant rely simply on photo retouch-up alone

BBS Signature

Response to job as a Photo Retouch-up? 2018-01-04 14:25:00

At 1/3/18 07:59 AM, MeMB wrote: I don't know if there are a lot of jobs in your area, but generally you'll be able to find some businesses near you that have a poor logo or website.

aaaagh shiz. i just looked at freelancer more in depth. its full of people across the globe with a portfolio already built, perfect reviews, and they expect payments of like 10 dollars to 12 dollars an hour

even if i will get a job, no way am i searching through hundreds of people begging for a job, and going through boss's anger management problem because he's wife's divorcing him and he has to let it out on someone, just for 8 to 10 dollars an hour

fuck that xD

BBS Signature