New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Gamer
2018 Resolution Support Group 2017-12-27 19:05:34 Reply

I'm sure that, like me, a lot of you will set New Year's resolutions and fail to see them through. If you would like to get serious about your 2018 resolutions, mention what your goals are in this thread and come back with regular progress updates throughout the year to let us know how you're doing.

At the end of every month, I will make a post asking everyone who shared their goals to check-in with their progress. If your goals are trackable, let us know how far you've come and what's still left to do. If your goals aren't easily trackable, let us know how they're going and what you've done to try and accomplish them so that we know you're still working on it.

Your goals might be ambitious and life changing or a simple bit of fun. Regardless, if you want to achieve them and support other members of the community with their goals, this is a place to do it!

There are still a few days before we see the new year, so until then I'd encourage you to have a think about what goals you can set that could potentially improve your life in some way. Once you have some goals, let us know what they are.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Musician

Just finished typing up a message to @jackho that touched on this subject and then came to General to see this. Maybe this is a sign that I need to stick to my word and get shit done.

My only "new years resolution" is to actually finish an original written & recorded piece of music and share it with the world on the big scary internet where people can tell me I'm bad. I've played multiple instruments for 12+ years now and have never developed a song any further than "this is a neat idea". It's really starting to get to me and I hope if I can finish at least ONE, even if I'm not completely satisfied with it, it'll get the ball rolling and I'll really be able to put in more effort to improve.

RYM

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Artist
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2017-12-27 20:02:00 Reply

my resolution is to go bald and completely pile into the entire Skrewdriver discography

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Reader

Absolutely solid thread Dean.

At 12/27/17 07:14 PM, Oolaph wrote: Just finished typing up a message to @jackho that touched on this subject and then came to General to see this. Maybe this is a sign that I need to stick to my word and get shit done.

Well shit, now I've gotta commit as well. My primary goal is to upload something to Newgrounds in 2018. It'll probably be a very shitty game, or a very shitty game song. Either way it will be very shitty, but it will exist and I'll have made it.

Here's some secondary goals, these ones just for fun. I may add more before the new year.

-Watch 100 films.
-Beat or complete at least 30 games.
-Read however many books I set as my goal for the 2018 reading thread (probably 25 again).
-Write up reviews of most of the above

I should also learn to cook but I'm not sure how to quantify that one, I may add a writing goal too, like 100k words across the year. There's more abstract ones that I might put into words later.

NG Reading Thread / Monthly Book Club • Enlist in the Elite Guard today!

BBS Signature
NuclearWorm
NuclearWorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2017-12-27 23:03:20 Reply

2017 WAS SHIT GOOD RIDDANCE

have 2 jobs, give up meat completely, be 90 lbs, move out, draw more, make more friends, be more sane, be more confident, be less apologetic, get laid, be less depressing, wear crazier make up more, kick some mofos in the nuts, and maybe move outta fucking canada to some place warmer

I got a vendetta 2018 aint goin know wot hit it

Zymbot
Zymbot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2017-12-28 05:31:08 Reply

I suppose I could make a resolution to leave the house once in a while, and make some friends....

Nah.

2018 Resolution Support Group

MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Reader

My resolution is to go to therapy and stick to it, maybe go to some support groups

other than that, I don't mind my weight, I'll just lose weight as and when I can or feel like it

and I'll think I'll try actively to do more things that I enjoy, that I ACTUALLY enjoy, not things that I feel I have to do to have a good life

FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2017-12-28 07:25:09 Reply

I wanna start smoking and drinking really seriously.

I pledge this every year, and find myself at some point sober and not smoking, nor craving alcohol or a cigarette.

It's like I really have to force myself to want to be one of the cool kids.

I think I'm the only dude on the planet that does not enjoy opiate or amphetamines recreationally.

I need some addictions to help me fit in guys. Somebody help me out here.

My psychobilly band Los Psychosis.Me playing Psychobilly accordion.
HATE.
Because how else do you explain 1.2 million years of perpetual war?

BBS Signature
satanbrain
satanbrain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Melancholy
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2017-12-28 12:12:12 Reply

I resolve to not make any resolutions.

"Compassion is the vice of kings: stamp down the wretched & the weak: this is the law of the strong: this is our law and the joy of the world."

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2017-12-28 13:28:24 Reply

Maybe 2018 will be the year I get a 4K display.

Resolutions...Get it?!?

nosferaytu
nosferaytu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Artist
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2017-12-28 18:19:50 Reply

Drink more water and get more PUSSY, you feel?

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Gamer
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2018-01-01 05:21:01 Reply

Happy New Year! If anyone else is wanting to join in, get those resolutions listed.

Been having a think about some of the things I'd like to do this year and gone for some simpler goals than I usually would:

Take up a new hobby and create something with it. I'm still undecided on what the hobby will be, but thinking about something like hobby level electronics. That would give me something new to learn and allow me to potentially build some cool hobby projects. I'm bad for starting projects and never finishing them, so I'd like to actually finish something for once.

Read more. Once @Jackho gets the 2018 reading challenge thread up I'll post my specific goal in there and use the thread for tracking it. I have quite a few "classic" books sitting about that I haven't read, so will try and work through some of them. Ideally I don't want to just blitz through the books, I'd like to actually take the time to try and appreciate them and understand why they're held in such high regard. I also have a lot of comcs/graphic novels piling up that I'd like to get started on.

My last resolution is a pretty stereotypical "be healthier" goal. I'm going to try and put together a weekly meal plan and try to stick to it as much as possible, the idea being to cut out junk food almost completely. I don't have any intention of joining a gym, but I also want to get back into the habit of home workouts. By spring/summer (when it warms up a bit) I'd like to take up running/jogging and make that a regular thing for me.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Reader
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2018-01-01 05:36:21 Reply

I'll think I'll give up masturbation, and find a woman to do it for me

MPPlantOfficial
MPPlantOfficial
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2018-01-01 05:39:52 Reply

Ehh what the hell. Might as well shoot for the moon.

My resolution is to create the best game of 2018 and receive positive critical acclaim. (even if I've only previously completed 3 or 4 games before)

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile

1.To be less dependent on my use of electronic devices as source of entertainment, so that I could grow a little closer to reality
2.to have more interest in reading books,magazines and news
3.get into the habit of drawing again
4.Getting a ps4 slim/Blu-ray DVD player contradictory as it is to my first resolution
5.watch more movies
6.while not something to consider as normal/anything to look up to maybe watch a whole show in it's entirety just to say that I watched it even though that serves more of a hobby reserved for weeaboos,enthusiasts and nerds.
7. To learn how to drive
8.Lose the anxiety

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Musician
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2018-01-01 12:29:40 Reply

At 1/1/18 08:42 AM, argile wrote: 1.To be less dependent on my use of electronic devices as source of entertainment, so that I could grow a little closer to reality
4.Getting a ps4 slim/Blu-ray DVD player contradictory as it is to my first resolution
5.watch more movies
6.while not something to consider as normal/anything to look up to maybe watch a whole show in it's entirety just to say that I watched it even though that serves more of a hobby reserved for weeaboos,enthusiasts and nerds.
7. To learn how to drive
8.Lose the anxiety

I only posted my "main achievement goal" for 2018, but we actually share a decent number of goals here, maybe I should've put some of these down too. I haven't really drawn anything in years, and this Christmas I bought a bunch of sketching/inking supplies for my younger sister and it really brought back that urge to draw again. Got myself a sketchbook & pencils to do some regular sketching and get back into the swing of things, and still haven't opened it. I should probably get on that.

I also don't drive, and I get really guilty when I need a ride somewhere but I STILL haven't bit the bullet and gotten my license, makes me feel like a shitty leech a lot of the time. That should really be moved to the top of my to-do list.

What aspect of watching movies/tv shows makes it a goal for you? Is it something you feel like you're missing out on? I don't watch a lot of films or series either, and sometimes I'm stuck on the outside of a conversation because of it but I don't force myself to keep up with video entertainment because it's just not one of my main interests.

@Jackho & @Dean I think I'm gonna jump in on this year's reading challenge as well, so see you dudes there.

RYM

BBS Signature
littlbox
littlbox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Filmmaker
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2018-01-01 12:58:05 Reply

You guys all have really good resolutions!

This year, I have a few parts to my New Years' Resolution:

A) Make at least four videos a month - I've been making videos for the internet for a little over seven years. However, I never could stick to just one type of video. So this year, I've decided to go all out and make every kind of video I can possibly think of, hoping that one type will just stick.

B) Maintain a constant internet presence - I'm pretty manic when it comes to this; I have moments of internet activity followed by months of inactivity. There's no real reason - I just get busy and forget to check up on my favorite websites. This year, though, I'm going to make sure I do at least one thing a day on some website, whether that be Newgrounds, Youtube, or some other platform. I hope I can meet some people along the way.

C) Start getting an income from the internet - Getting money from making videos and music I love has been my dream, and I'm hoping the two above steps will really help me reach this goal. Even if, by the end of 2018, I'll be getting $1 a month, I'll consider it a success.

Looking forward to this year! :D

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Artist
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2018-01-01 13:32:43 Reply

At 12/27/17 08:02 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: my resolution is to go bald

completed this one already
i got a shaver device and did my entire head, then finished it off with a Schick razor
thinking i might turn it into a mohawk like De Niro's in taxi driver

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Musician
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2018-01-01 13:49:19 Reply

At 1/1/18 01:32 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 12/27/17 08:02 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: my resolution is to go bald
completed this one already
i got a shaver device and did my entire head, then finished it off with a Schick razor
thinking i might turn it into a mohawk like De Niro's in taxi driver

while i admire the cleanliness of a naked and pure shaved head, i go for a 1.5mm buzzcut. Easier 'cause you can ignore it for two weeks at a time.

RYM

BBS Signature
kylexthexpostman
kylexthexpostman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2018-01-01 15:29:22 Reply

I mean, dude, I'm just trying to quit smoking.
And I'll strangle anyone who gets up in my way. Please help me.

Dude, STFU.
My audio tho
My art tho

BBS Signature
SoundBounce
SoundBounce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Artist
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2018-01-01 15:38:57 Reply

I have two resolutions for this new year, 1: Improve my artwork and post something at least once a week. 2: To study for school more often as i very regularly end up procrastinating.

Mattykins9
Mattykins9
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2018-01-01 15:47:30 Reply

My new years resolution this year is to end 2018 with the ability to go full-time at game development or at least reduce my regular job commitment to part-time.

I woke up this morning to find my newest game front-paged so I think we're off to a pretty good start :)

kylexthexpostman
kylexthexpostman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2018-01-01 15:50:18 Reply

At 1/1/18 03:38 PM, SoundBounce wrote: I have two resolutions for this new year, 1: Improve my artwork and post something at least once a week. 2: To study for school more often as i very regularly end up procrastinating.

that's a decent resolution. let me be your hypeman, I'll call you once a week just screaming at you to do better and be better. I promise, dude, we got this.

Dude, STFU.
My audio tho
My art tho

BBS Signature
Pinochetisbae
Pinochetisbae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2018-01-01 15:57:59 Reply

At 12/28/17 06:20 AM, SamPercy wrote: My resolution is to go to therapy and stick to it, maybe go to some support groups

other than that, I don't mind my weight, I'll just lose weight as and when I can or feel like it

and I'll think I'll try actively to do more things that I enjoy, that I ACTUALLY enjoy, not things that I feel I have to do to have a good life

Helping ourselves mentally with therapy is a great goal and I hope you achieve it. Also no matter your weight as long as you're ok with it and no upset about it, you already achieved that what a lot of people can't and that is confidence in your own image. Hope you have a happy new year and achieve your goal!

Pinochetisbae
Pinochetisbae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2018-01-01 16:00:09 Reply

At 1/1/18 05:39 AM, MPPlantOfficial wrote: Ehh what the hell. Might as well shoot for the moon.

My resolution is to create the best game of 2018 and receive positive critical acclaim. (even if I've only previously completed 3 or 4 games before)

Thats an awsome goal hope you achieve it. Can't wait to play it!

Pinochetisbae
Pinochetisbae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2018-01-01 16:05:28 Reply

At 1/1/18 08:42 AM, argile wrote: 1.To be less dependent on my use of electronic devices as source of entertainment, so that I could grow a little closer to reality
5.watch more movies
7. To learn how to drive
8.Lose the anxiety

Number 8 will be kinda hard but possible with hard work. Talking to new people is a great start, talk to as many as you can be it at school or work or around town but take it at your own pace nice and steady and don't stress about over how you get done just roll with it and your anxiety should go away over time. Hope this helps.

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2018-01-01 16:15:19 Reply

At 1/1/18 12:29 PM, Oolaph wrote:
At 1/1/18 08:42 AM, argile wrote:
What aspect of watching movies/tv shows makes it a goal for you? Is it something you feel like you're missing out on? I don't watch a lot of films or series either, and sometimes I'm stuck on the outside of a conversation because of it but I don't force myself to keep up with video entertainment because it's just not one of my main interests.

Most of the time I don't even watch the kind of stuff my peers watch because I know how different tastes are to their's while I do listen to the one guy telling me to watch Blue excercist and all other kind of anime I prefer stuff with more substance.I like watching movies/tv shows because like any craft or medium it can be seen as art,social commentary,a otherworldly experience and if done right it can be a piece of visual story telling.i've been using Netflix for the past few years to go past what's available on television.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Reader
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2018-01-01 17:56:24 Reply

The reading thread is up if anyone else has book related resolutions and wants to hop in.

★ Reading Challenge 2018 ★

At 1/1/18 12:29 PM, Oolaph wrote: What aspect of watching movies/tv shows makes it a goal for you? Is it something you feel like you're missing out on? I don't watch a lot of films or series either, and sometimes I'm stuck on the outside of a conversation because of it but I don't force myself to keep up with video entertainment because it's just not one of my main interests.

For me it's that even when I enjoy something I don't feel like doing it until I'm doing it. Movies are some of my favourite shit ever but even with something so passive and effortless it's still easier to say "nah, be arsed" than to put something on, but once I do it I'm glad I did, and setting a goal gives that extra bit of push.

All I'm likely to be doing is mindlessly browsing the internet instead anyway, idk how many times I've been planning to watch something and even had the video open and ready to go, and then just wasted the day browsing until it was too late for the film.

Most people wouldn't have heard of the films I'm most interested in watching, and they'd virtually never come up in conversation anyway, so it's pretty useless if the goal was to have more things to talk about.

NG Reading Thread / Monthly Book Club • Enlist in the Elite Guard today!

BBS Signature
Kieran
Kieran
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2018-01-01 18:23:10 Reply

At 12/28/17 07:25 AM, FUNKbrs wrote: I wanna start smoking and drinking really seriously.

we dont want you to get cancer Mr.FunkBrs

Kieran
Kieran
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to 2018 Resolution Support Group 2018-01-01 18:26:27 Reply

well, mine is to:

Get enough money to move out

get my license and buy a car