• 31 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Inferno-Leo
Inferno-Leo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist

What are your opinions on your own art? Do you think you've improved, got worse, etc etc?

Goldsickle
Goldsickle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-26 01:32:45 Reply

I am learning too damn slowly.

Inferno-Leo
Inferno-Leo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-26 01:57:12 Reply

It just takes patience. Kinda ironic of me to say that considering I have terrible patience

CLXcool
CLXcool
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-26 01:58:34 Reply

I feel like I'm learning something, but at times it feels like I'm going backwards. Kinda wished people would point out with constructive info on what is good and what isn't about my work.

Inferno-Leo
Inferno-Leo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-26 02:13:43 Reply

At 12/26/17 01:58 AM, CLXcool wrote: I feel like I'm learning something, but at times it feels like I'm going backwards. Kinda wished people would point out with constructive info on what is good and what isn't about my work.

Well I looked at your art and you just mainly need to work on proportions more.

cuteboy99
cuteboy99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-26 02:15:59 Reply

At 12/26/17 12:31 AM, Inferno-Leo wrote: What are your opinions on your own art? Do you think you've improved, got worse, etc etc?

I don't like to brag about my skills but I feel I am doing really great and that nobody can draw better than me!!!

Oddlem
Oddlem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy

I feel like I improve at a steady pace, but the thing I have the most trouble with is just liking what I do. Like over the years, it's improved and all of that in terms of technical things, but I'm kind of in this weird inbetween point of where I want my art to be. Like compositions! I really want to make art with lots of symbolism centered around a story, and though I feel like I've gotten closer than what it used to be (boring illustrations of a character doing nothing lel) I'm not where I want to be. I still do way too many boring stills meant for aesthetic, rather than the story behind everything. But yeah, like I liked the direction my art was going in a reaaaaaly long time ago when I look back and how much passion showed in my stuff compared to now.
But on top of it all, I feel like no matter how much I study or practice that I just don't get better in those specific aspects. And it gets frustrating as heck. It's even worse that I get uncomfortable with male anatomy, which makes studying that a huge pain. I do like drawing feminine dudes, but I needa know the details underneath to understand things more. So I end up just studying females, so then boom
everyone's got hips when they shouldn't have hips

tl;dr
My brain hates me.

Inferno-Leo
Inferno-Leo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-26 02:52:30 Reply

At 12/26/17 02:39 AM, Oddlem wrote: I feel like I improve at a steady pace, but the thing I have the most trouble with is just liking what I do. Like over the years, it's improved and all of that in terms of technical things, but I'm kind of in this weird inbetween point of where I want my art to be. Like compositions! I really want to make art with lots of symbolism centered around a story, and though I feel like I've gotten closer than what it used to be (boring illustrations of a character doing nothing lel) I'm not where I want to be. I still do way too many boring stills meant for aesthetic, rather than the story behind everything. But yeah, like I liked the direction my art was going in a reaaaaaly long time ago when I look back and how much passion showed in my stuff compared to now.
But on top of it all, I feel like no matter how much I study or practice that I just don't get better in those specific aspects. And it gets frustrating as heck. It's even worse that I get uncomfortable with male anatomy, which makes studying that a huge pain. I do like drawing feminine dudes, but I needa know the details underneath to understand things more. So I end up just studying females, so then boom
everyone's got hips when they shouldn't have hips

tl;dr
My brain hates me.

I used to know how to draw guys decently but I've gotten so rusty because I haven't drawn them often. I have more fun drawing females than males. I'm not a patient person but I know when it comes to drawing it can be frustrating when you're struggling with something. You just have to keep trying as many times as it takes until you eventually manage to succeed. There are some skills that I recently picked up while experimenting and studying other people's art. Idk how you can deal with being uncomfortable with male anatomy, but I have a feeling you'll eventually get used to it and be able to study it. I mean there's alot of nsfw stuff on this site so you're bound to go numb to it. Not only do I want to get better drawing in this anime style but I want to learn how to draw backgrounds better too.

CoolCatDaddio
CoolCatDaddio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Writer
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-26 03:15:45 Reply

At 12/26/17 01:58 AM, CLXcool wrote: I feel like I'm learning something, but at times it feels like I'm going backwards. Kinda wished people would point out with constructive info on what is good and what isn't about my work.

no one can help you until you have the very basic's down, which you dont, sorry

you need to start like everyone else and draw from life
https://www.quickposes.com/en/gestures/random
use that website to draw bodies, faces, hands, animals, etc...
and just keep doing it until everything pieces together

here's a really good guide that I found useful

https://hubpages.com/art/how-to-draw-learn

You can lead a horse to water, but that horse is a actually a donkey and he wont listen to a word you say because he is rebellious

BBS Signature
CoolCatDaddio
CoolCatDaddio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Writer
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-26 03:26:08 Reply

I think my minimalism is ok
Im excited to see where the next level of my art progress takes me
Im hoping to try different things as I get better, but Im still striving to get better at all things

my next studies are going to be painting soon

You can lead a horse to water, but that horse is a actually a donkey and he wont listen to a word you say because he is rebellious

BBS Signature
CoolCatDaddio
CoolCatDaddio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Writer
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-26 03:28:47 Reply

At 12/26/17 02:39 AM, Oddlem wrote: tl;dr.

that sucks dude
but if it makes you feel better, You're one artists with the best improvements around here

BBS Signature
Oddlem
Oddlem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-26 04:49:55 Reply

At 12/26/17 03:28 AM, CoolCatDaddio wrote:
At 12/26/17 02:39 AM, Oddlem wrote: tl;dr.
that sucks dude
but if it makes you feel better, You're one artists with the best improvements around here

Thank you! ;;

Also for your previous post on painting, I really recommend reading through this page. I found it really helpful since I feel like it goes more indepth than other tutorials I've found. ovo

MalikJack
MalikJack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-26 14:00:52 Reply

Honestly I'm excited and scared. I just got into digital art this year and already I have a million things I wanna do. It's just a matter of getting good enough to express whats in your mind adequately. Sometimes its super frustrating but most of the time its fun. I may not be satisfied but I'm happy with how far I've come and are going.

PieSaus exists in all living beings but only the chosen can harness its awesome power.

squidwardtesticles
squidwardtesticles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-27 15:59:49 Reply

At 12/26/17 12:31 AM, Inferno-Leo wrote: What are your opinions on your own art? Do you think you've improved, got worse, etc etc?

Getting better at sketching every day. Still can't color and shade worth a damn.

Irken-SpazZ
Irken-SpazZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Art Lover
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-28 13:42:12 Reply

Considering i've only properly been trying to learn for the past month i'm happy with where i'm at but know i've got a lot to learn and improve on still. Feel like i'm over critical of my stuff at times and i think that hinders my growth.

On a side note is there a specific place i have to go to get scouted? Or is it just a case of asking around.

Inferno-Leo
Inferno-Leo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-28 15:28:23 Reply

At 12/28/17 01:42 PM, Irken-SpazZ wrote: Considering i've only properly been trying to learn for the past month i'm happy with where i'm at but know i've got a lot to learn and improve on still. Feel like i'm over critical of my stuff at times and i think that hinders my growth.

On a side note is there a specific place i have to go to get scouted? Or is it just a case of asking around.

That’s good to hear and it’s probably natural for an artist to be over critical of their own drawings, even I do it sometimes. About scouting, don’t ask to be scouted on here, it’s against the rules. You just have to keep posting art until someone who thinks you’re good enough scouts you. You can probably better your chances by posting some of your art in the art forums or reviewing someone else’s art. It’s very tedious but thats’s how it is.

nosferaytu
nosferaytu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-28 16:56:26 Reply

Personally, I really enjoy my art. The style I've developed is one I find to be original and very much my own, something I get this satisfaction over when I doodle or whatever in between the rigorous pieces I got for art college. I kinda wish I was able to develop it further since I'm not certain about how to stretch it out further while keeping it consistent. I'm learning though, headed towards something I like and that's what's important. I'll have to utilize my break time between school to make more stuff.

At 12/26/17 02:39 AM, Oddlem wrote: tl;dr
My brain hates me.

Hey man I relate a lot actually. I really struggle when it comes to making pieces of art. Not just a character, but something that has some sort of working background and really comes together as a whole. But I envy you're ability to pump out artwork, especially since I see a lot of improvement in what you're making. I know you'll get there. Hell, I'm still a little bummed we never followed through on that collab. You're a talented and hardworking person and I got mad respect for that.

BBS Signature
NuclearWorm
NuclearWorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-28 18:47:42 Reply

egh... I guess I improved since i was like....16. I don't like my work much at the moment, but I don't feel like i have any passion for this. Only use it as a distraction most of the time.

Quisty
Quisty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-28 19:38:52 Reply

I can make something wonderful and creative but then I make mediocre things. I need more practice with Photoshop and Flash. I do have a good eye for colour and textures. My backgrounds are always unique and my art has a softness to it. I just need more practice and patience to excel more

Syrupmasterz
Syrupmasterz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-28 23:18:25 Reply

OOOOH boy looking at my old art I've gotten WAAAAY better. I'm a little hard on myself while working on stuff, and I can honestly say that I take prolonged breaks from drawings when I can't get them to look the way I want.

However, whenever I finish a project I'm happy with how they look, even if they are old drawings. :P

BBS Signature
xu53r
xu53r
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-29 05:11:32 Reply

The struggle never ends.

BBS Signature
OrangeWedge
OrangeWedge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Animator

I'm very satisfied with my abstract/psychedelic artworks but very frustrated by my inability of drawing decent characters.

I'd like to draw characters inspired by this style: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZOwyMdAAe8/

...but i constantly fail.

BBS Signature
CaveDancer
CaveDancer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-29 15:28:14 Reply

I'm trying to become better, but somehow it doesn't seem like i got any better :(

NonS3XualActionFig
NonS3XualActionFig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Animator
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-30 20:25:09 Reply

my art skills are literally the only thing I'm happy with in my life. I wish I was dead otherwise.

BBS Signature
ADR3-N
ADR3-N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-30 21:48:31 Reply

Honestly, I think it's all shit, and I haven't progressed very much since about 2009. Then again I only do about a portrait per year these days and I've shifted focus to music. I'm better at music than art.

FloorAesthetics
FloorAesthetics
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-31 01:55:40 Reply

Probably a 4 on the scale of decency but I know it'll get better. Especially now because I've got myself into a sort of routine this time.

Xenoryt
Xenoryt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-31 06:37:56 Reply

From my reviews, my pixel art is really fucking shitty, so that's how I feel.

"She's a rebel, she's a sai-aint!"

BBS Signature
MPPlantOfficial
MPPlantOfficial
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-31 10:02:22 Reply

I think it's crap to be honest but I also think its good enough just for the purpose of creating game assets so it being crap isn't necessarily a bad thing. I do feel bad when looking at highdef images of wizards or medieval soldiers in full chainmail armor with so much care and detail for each link of the chain (you know what I'm talking about)

Jomoko
Jomoko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2017-12-31 20:54:50 Reply

I think I'm mediocre on my best days and awful on my worst. But I think I'm slowly getting better. I have little understanding of anatomy or proper coloring or color theory, perspective, composition or expressive faces and often feel my art looks too rigid. But, I feel that, fairly consistently, each new piece I actually post is better than the last.

A very good signature.

Binsu
Binsu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Animator
Response to How do you feel about your art? 2018-01-01 03:51:33 Reply

Well I'm definitely improving, then again I've gone from using Paint to Krita to FireAlpaca and currently the Clip Studio Free Trial.