00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How was your college life?

1,480 Views | 25 Replies

I've only got 2 more years to graduate high school and go to college, I'm assuming that I'd start drinking and smoke weed once I get to college, maybe join parties and try my pickup lines that usually works on high school girls. But yeah, how was your college life? Were you social, or were you an anti-social guy/gal who still hasn't changed from your high school period.

BBS Signature

More like doing coke and spending the rest of your life trying to remain sober.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/teacher-filmed-snorting-cocaine-classroom-sick-article-1.3662481

"Cox, who was hired at Lake Central in August 2016, said she started using drugs four years ago as a college freshman."

I made the Newgrounds Mobile app, but it's gone now.

Response to How was your college life? 2017-12-22 09:34:05

When I first went to college I went away to a small private school to dorm, figuring I was gonna live the fun college life with parties, girls, social life, etc. None of that happened, so I went back home to school near me and started commuting. I didn't live my fun life IN the college itself, but that time period where I was commuting was the best period of my life because I was just a stupid college kid with no financial obligations so I'd go to school, go home/hang out with friends, play gigs with my band, chill with girls, go out on road trips with ppl etc.

Now that I've graduated and I'm working it sucks balls. All the people my age are all matured and don't wanna do any of that ambitious stuff anymore, they just wanna work their stupid fuckin jobs go home and buy shit/pay for bills. People talk about not having time in college, that's bullshit. I had a shit ton of free time when I was in college. Now I have no time at all.

Response to How was your college life? 2017-12-22 14:56:14

Newgrounds was my university life. Nothing has changed since high school in that matter.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to How was your college life? 2017-12-22 15:03:46

At 12/22/17 02:09 PM, JosephStarr wrote: lol I got a job, enjoy racking up debt for some useless degree that most employers don't give a shit about.

This.

My degree that I worked my ass off for for 5 years is basically toilet paper. Employers don't give a flying fuck, all they care about is experience. I'm 23 with no experience but a degree and the people that have way better jobs than me never went to college and just used that time to gain experience.

Just a thought.

I'm just shy of my second semester of college so I don't know if I count, but this year has been great (or at least, much better than the past couple of years). Basically, depending on what kind of college you go to and if you go full-time or not, most of the teachers there are much more lenient than in highschool. I had an English teacher who straight up made class non-mandatory for a month and a half for our finals, and even before he cancelled class a lot of the time for things like fishing. Depending on the kind of person you are, you might react to these types of teachers differently. I got really salty since I'm paying for this class, but others I'm sure were happy that they didn't have class for so long.

There's also a lot of interesting people in college, and I found it a lot easier to make friends since there's more people with common interests which is great. Late night drive to taco bell? Sure. Late night drive through a large winding road while listening to loud music? No problem. College friends are great.

About the drinking... I still don't really drink since I find the smell to be nasty, and I don't smoke since that would murder my lungs. The people I hang out with also don't really do it (from what I know of, or at least not often), so that stuff kind of just depends on the group you're with.

That all aside though, I can say with great certainty that college is a lot better than highschool by far for tons of reasons. No petty stuff, people don't care if you wear anime-trash tights, no teacher to reprimand you for not being able to come into class. That also means that you need to be independent in college, and only rely off of yourself to get things done. No random student is going to remind to "hey, you need to go take a challenge test to get into the ___ class in approximately 4.5 days" because you're the only one who has to worry about it. I'd recommend getting used to writing things on sticky notes to remind yourself of stuff to get into the habit, because one forgotten thing can be trouble.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

At 12/22/17 04:10 PM, lapis wrote:
At 12/22/17 03:26 PM, Oddlem wrote: even before he cancelled class a lot of the time for things like fishing.
That's a bit extreme tbh. I'm sure that if someone did that at any of the universities I've been to they'd be in for a rollicking by their supervisor.

Like you said, you're paying (presumably a lot) for that class.

To be fair, I'm not in a university yet since I'm planning on doing a community to university transfer program to save money. So it was only about ~200 dollars but still... money is a thing.
So because of that I never really reported it since I wasn't sure they'd do anything. :/ Is it still worth a try though, even under these circumstances? Finals are over with and half of my essays still aren't graded as well.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to How was your college life? 2017-12-22 16:44:45

It was not too bad, kinda fun but then got bored of it but it is all good

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to How was your college life? 2017-12-22 17:02:06

At 12/22/17 02:09 PM, JosephStarr wrote: Oh, and you assume you're going to start doing drugs and drinking alcohol as soon as you get there? Why?
To fit in? To be "cool"?
because you think risking alcoholism and drug habits is the fun, trendy thing to do?

Well that maybe one of the reasons, but I'm just a guy who is really open minded, so I tend to try anything new, knowing or not knowing the consequences. I guess I'm one of those guys who does trendy things at times, I use to hate everything trendy or just be a negative person in general, but I guess I changed my ways, I just thought to myself what was the point of hating everything all the time? At this point, I only hate trendy things that are actually stupid and deserve to be hated, like that "cash me ousside" girl, I don't necessarily hate her but I definitely dislike her.

If so, you're doomed to be a lame suck-up with no money for the rest of your adult life.
(and this is coming from somebody that is drunk and high pretty much constantly.)

I mean I said I was gonna drink and smoke weed, but I didn't say I planned on doing it regularly. I'll probably do it only when I'm invited to, other than that, I don't really think I'll become an alcoholic or a drug addict, luckily for me I get bored of shit fast, there are cons to that of course.

BBS Signature

Response to How was your college life? 2017-12-22 17:31:04

At 12/22/17 08:36 AM, OneStep wrote: I've only got 2 more years to graduate high school and go to college, I'm assuming that I'd start drinking and smoke weed once I get to college, maybe join parties and try my pickup lines that usually works on high school girls. But yeah, how was your college life? Were you social, or were you an anti-social guy/gal who still hasn't changed from your high school period.

After college you need to get a job and marry your girl friend and giver her 15 kids

Response to How was your college life? 2017-12-22 20:03:32

That traditionalist approach where you just go through 4 years of full-time schooling in college right after high school to mostly party on the weekends and kill yourself over exams just doesn't cut it in the modern economy. If you're not willing to work after high school (to gain work experience) and go to college simultaneously (to gain educational experience which can assist with promotions connected to your work experience, plus income boosts--credit hours per semester are up to you), then you're doing it wrong.

Compared to high school, in college, the vibe is different. You're on your own, generally. If you're in academic trouble, most professors and even adjuncts will not waste time trying to reach out to your parents. They'd just give you an F and you can either take it or leave it.

Compared to the workforce (which I recommend being in simultaneously, not waiting until after you graduate), the vibe is also different. Again, if you get reprimanded, written up or fired, your boss will not call your parents. How much or how little time you spend on the interview circuit is only a decision you can make.

I work for a large company everyone here has heard of. Last night meant a lot to me and I spent almost 10 minutes talking to my CEO 1-on-1, a rarity. Before I sent her a follow-up e-mail this morning, I consulted with my boss (who had left when she approached me, and he's a director), because I'm not the kind of person who will go over my boss' head without making sure he/she is in on everything, and CC'd on all executive correspondence.

I'll be watching my work e-mail closely over the time I have off, and yeah it's a bit of vacation time, but it's the last I have for this year.

Up north I go.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to How was your college life? 2017-12-22 21:24:36

Best years of my life. I was learning animation from my tutors, and studios were way more willing to listen to "hi I'm an animation student, can you give me advice/work experience/whatever" than they are to "hi i'm a random someone, can you give me advice/work experience/whatever", just because being an animation student let them know that I was committed to that shit and might actually be good enough at it for them to take me on. I took on side projects alongside my assigned work, doing some storyboard revisions for an environmental charity, making a short film for BBC Radio 4's website, snagging a week's work experience at a studio that would go on to hire me on two different projects once I graduated, all of that was above and beyond what was asked of me by my course. I also met my wife-to-be in my first year, and fell in love with a new city where I could break free from all the expectations everyone back home put on me and just focus on what I wanted for myself.

I love that city, and I still love the friends I made there and cherish all of my memories of that time and place. One day maybe I'll get to call that city home again, but as it stands I'm still living with the woman I love (until March at least), and I'm still working in animation, and that's some grade-a good shit right there.

And for people complaining that "my degree is worthless cos I have no experience", I'm sorry no one told you that it didn't have to be an either/or choice. They need to make that clearer cos that really is the difference between the people who go on to use their degrees and the ones who go straight back home and end up back in retail or food service. The people who think just the degree is enough have either been misled or outright lied to, and it's not fair to them that they got told the finish line was in one place when it was actually in the next ball park along.

Response to How was your college life? 2017-12-22 22:28:11

I've lost thousands of dollars, didn't stay in what I wanted to do, realized I can't do what I wanted and now I'm failing art school...

never smoked weed, went to parties, got drunk or picked up gurls.

I cry a lot now tho

Don't bother getting mad at me. Im not important enough

Response to How was your college life? 2017-12-22 23:11:22

I always lived in off-campus apartments with my gf/wife so we mostly avoided the whole dorm experience thing. We also hated college kids as neighbors so we looked for landlords who also didn't typically rent to college students. In fact in my first apartment my upstairs neighbor was the Dean of Students at my college.

I also worked weekends and summers so I didn't really participate in college parties and those sorts of shenanigans.

I would commute in for my first class, hang out in the library between classes if I had a long enough gap and either went home or to work after my last class each day.

I don't think I missed out on anything special not living in a dorm - not only was it cheaper by far to rent a place away from campus but I also saved being kept awake all night by rowdy roommates/neighbors and on groceries since a lot of dorms don't even let you have a hotplate to heat up food - you have to eat at campus for every meal and the meal plans were expensive.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

At 12/22/17 03:31 PM, JosephStarr wrote: And another question:
Are you planing on going to college for education, because your parents/teachers pressured you into thinking it's the right thing to do, or because you think college is just one giant frat party like the movies depict it as?

Of course my parents think it's the right thing to do, but if I really have no choice and it's practically the end of the line, I'll probably go to college. I was already planning things for the future, like starting a business hoping to be the next Mark Zuckerberg or Elon Musk, sounds stupid and unachievable, but I'd rather be a broke ass living in the streets knowing I tried, rather than I work a boring ass job to survive, only to get to the boring ass job next day.

If it's because of pressure then fuck that. That's all.

Most of the pressure is coming from my dad who thinks you'll be a loser if you don't go to college, when his father and himself was able to prove that wrong. My grandfather is a millionaire, he started from scratch, he was an orphan at the age of 7 and lived with his uncle working in a car workshop, but that's still not enough to convince my dad. My dad isn't a millionaire, but I'm telling you he's making a shit ton of money compared to those who did get a college degree. He basically made a fake diploma and that was back in the day where he was able to easily fool the employers, he later told them that he didn't have a diploma, but they kept him knowing he was still doing a fine job anyways.
He later did get the degree, he went to college and the college was covered by the company he works for. He needed his company to pay for it since it costs 6680$ every month, it's Saudi and shit like schools here are expensive if you're a foreigner. So I guess you're right about them not giving a shit about the degree. Anyways, this just shows how ignorant most adults are, specifically the once who grew up on the 80s, my dad has evidence on him and in front of him to prove you don't need college, I mean he said I should make up a "revolutionary" business idea after I graduate 12th grade, so he can change his mind to make me go to college.

And if it's because you think it's all fun and beer then what are you? Twelve? Ofcourse some douchey frat party movie isn't going to show what college is actually like. Who wants to watch a movie where the main character sits around writing essays, pulling their hair out studying, working fast food and retail to pay off student loans, and then living their 20's and 30's as a manager at I-hop? Nobody, people that watch college movies want to see pretty white people act like complete drunken assholes and do gross-out humor.
Any stories you hear from people that actually went to college saying it was fun are only talking about when it was fun. Probably because nobody wants to talk about years of studying and back breaking exams and the crappy retail job they got out of it. So instead they talk about the other 10% of the time it was actually fun which really had nothing to do with the fact that it was at college.

I guess so. By the way, you never really told me how was your college life, did you not have that 10% of fun? Were you miserable your in your journey there? At the moment, that's what I'm concluding from all this.

BBS Signature

Response to How was your college life? 2017-12-23 02:53:46

The change in atmosphere in college made me a better student. I went from Cs to As in my first semester and graduated with a 3.5 GPA. I didn't party, unless you count sneaking into the art studio at 2 AM to pull prints with your buds partying. I made lots of great friends in college. I learned a lot about myself and about the world. I got the chance to explore things I never would have without college. It was one of the best periods of my life hands down. My only regret is that I spent too much time on things other than college. Seriously.

As for my degree... It actually was useful when I used it, but I decided to switch careers a few years ago. From my experience, the vast majority of employers want to see a degree on paper, and want to know that you've performed well in at least one similar job.

(>'-')>

Response to How was your college life? 2017-12-23 07:07:26

At 12/22/17 08:36 AM, OneStep wrote: Were you social, or were you an anti-social guy/gal who still hasn't changed from your high school period.

Pretty much that, though did get some new friends. I didn't live in a dorm so I missed out on the potential party part, but not sure we have that culture here anyway, It was just a lot of studies. A lot more freedom, though no longer free food. A lot more work. Overall not sure how much I actually benefited from it, but it does look good on mah list of merits...

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to How was your college life? 2017-12-23 08:59:10

Relax it's the same thing . The only differences it's the subjects :P

In the days of Kings and Queens I was a jester . Treat me like a God or they treat me like a leper ^~^

BBS Signature

Fucking ideal.

Made a lot of friends.

Learned a lot.

Had a lot of sex.

Smoked a lot of weed.

Drank a lot.

I carry your heart. I carry it in my heart.

BBS Signature

Here are some positives and negatives about college in general. I base this off of a public university, so it might be different on a private university, (especially a Christian affiliated college) but for the sake of argument, we’ll stick with a public school, doesn’t matter which.

Positives:

You have a lot more leeway and freedom with classes and your professors. Professors as a whole tend to be more laid back and more reasonable than teachers in middle and high school, provided you don’t completely slack off of course.

Student debt aside, it’s a time period where you have the most financial freedom and least responsiblity to society as you will have in your life. Having said that, experience is a big thing in today’s workforce, especially in the higher up careers, so you might need to take advantage of that, which means you probably won’t be partying down Animal House style too often.

On the subject of responsibility, you’ll usually have a lot more leeway with things like drinking, weed and hijinks as long as you don’t go too overboard with it. Campus police don’t really interfere with students over things like frat parties and sometimes weed possession unless they get way too out of hand, a “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy if you will.

You’ll learn far more about people and cultures, considering that most universities in America are highly ranked in general, a lot of people from all around the world come to study there. Furthermore, with more students around, (numbering in the thousands, if not tens of thousands) you don’t usually have to worry about not fitting in with certain cliques or groups.

Negatives:

If you aren’t smart, talented or even lucky enough to get a scholarship, you will have to pay student debt in the future, which can takes years or even decades to pay back, especially if you choose a crappy major that has limited career prospects.

This will often be a young adults first time away from their parents for a long time, so that means that you need to remember things like tests, essay papers and the like. As I said before, professors may be more lenient on things, but overall, you’re on your own.

This is exaggerated by the media a lot, but SJW backlash is a thing and it does exist. It depends on the school and the student clubs, but aside from ultra liberal campuses, (Cal-Berkeley, Reed College to name a few) they usually aren’t actively interfering with conservative speakers and vice versa. More or less, if you don’t mess with them, they shouldn’t bother you.

Bottom line is, as long as you know what you’re getting into and if you’re willing to learn about the world, then college can be a great experience and can help you in the future.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to How was your college life? 2017-12-24 02:33:13

I say fuck college. Go backpack South America or some shit. That's what I did. Totally worth it.

Response to How was your college life? 2017-12-25 18:14:32

Well, a lot of it WAS spent on Newgrounds...

I mostly just studied and hung out with friends.

Response to How was your college life? 2017-12-25 18:56:42

Pretty ok. I'm still in university right now.
For the most part, the experience is pleasant until you reach things like group projects; when some of the group members won't cooperate. It's a pain.

Response to How was your college life? 2017-12-26 00:28:55

I perfected my 'psycho stare' look there. Good times.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to How was your college life? 2017-12-26 00:42:17

1. The best part of my life (tbh not saying much). But learning/explaining/becoming a caretaker of subjects that I genuinely care about is one of my greatest pleasures in life....ha. To a certain degree, I looked forward to tests and projects. And honestly, I got a bit depressed when I wasn't in school. I was there for the education, not the byproducts of student life. Of course finding work afterwards, preferably relevant to your line of work (else why would you spend all that money?) is just a necessary byproduct of living. And it is true, especially with the technology and information available today, that you can find equally or nearly good learning resources for free. The opportunities, networking, and hands-on activities- not so much.

2. You don't need to go to college to experience cool parties, drugs, or sex. If this is a major incentive for going, then forget it. Classes/studying won't always be interesting, but you're not going to have a good time if you foremost don't have a desire to learn and are motivated to work like hell. Note: some areas of study will require a larger minimum amount of work than others. But the more you learn, the more questions you will have than answers. Ultimately, your line of study is as difficult as you make it, and you're only doing a disservice to yourself when you're not seeking out some challenge.

3. I was heavily pressured to attend college ripe out of high school, not on my dime- and ended up dropping out my second semester. I worked retail for many years, took classes at community college when I could (to save $$) and went to university back later in life than most of my friends, when I was much more appreciative of my privileges and educational opportunities. I would presume most people aren't mature and aware enough to realize what they want to do at 18. If this is you, don't spend (your parents) money on a university- take a few classes at a community college if anything for a fraction of what it would cost at a university. Find work; save money. Travel if you can, discover new hobbies. Take a few years to learn about yourself and what interests you the most with you in life.

4. I would argue that just having a plan is more important than what you end up putting on your resume. Work experience always matters. Diplomas matter for many positions. While being overqualified is a real risk, just showing that you had the persistence to achieve a degree is meaningful to employers (you're more likely to land higher positions and better pay). You should ask yourself a.) does my prospective future line of work require a degree? b.) is it financially worth it for me to pursue a degree? c.) how much do I really like this subject to pursue a degree in this field, and would I be willing to go further (graduate school) if necessary? Related to c.) if you like the subject enough then surely you like sharing the subject with others...and educators are always in demand.

5. if you're not seeking out research and internships through your school...why?

6. I'll again admit that I'm more financially privileged than many. The fortunate circumstances I was born into is better than I deserve. While I did have a job and payed for much of my schooling, my parents were and to this today are a backbone, and quite frankly if I didn't have these fortunate circumstances I probably never would have further pursued school after I first dropped out. Despite all this, I'm a low-maintenance guy. I have friends that complained about debt, but they still got decent jobs, and live lavish lifestyles with many unnecessary, nice things, so...Be smart with your money, start off at a community college, find part-time work, seek-out scholarships.

BBS Signature

At 12/26/17 12:42 AM, S3C wrote: 1. Wise stuff

A surprisingly rich and reflective guide! Well-said, though if you're fortunate to live in a place where studies aren't hella expensive - or have a superfluous wealth to do whatever you wish with, I'd say just going for whatever's interesting, rather than whatever's most beneficial/will most further your future career would be the optimal route. Society's a bit constrained that way, forcing people onto paths of profit instead of the path they really want to traverse, but life's short, so live and learn what you are truly interested in, if you have the luxury to figure out what that really is; studies are a stepping stone.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature