00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BWWAA-LORD-OF-DUCKS just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Classical Musi; Who's the Scariest?

1,165 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

For orchestral music, I say Gustav Mahler. For piano works, I say Lowell Liebermann. How about you? Who's the scariest composer?

I've been a member WAY too long... but now I write classical music! Check me out! k thx bye ;)

BBS Signature

I gotta say Mussorgsky, he's got some really eerie pieces mainly Baba Yaga from his "Pictures in an Exhibition" suite and of course, Night on Bald Mountain, which I've had to pleasure of playing the bass part for in an orchestra and it is just as aggressive and menacing a piece to play as it is to hear.

You can't forget Stravinsky, I never listened to him a whole lot, but the Rite of Spring is pretty much the poster-child for chaotic orchestration, not sure if it's spo0ky so much as flat out nuts though; a similar thing can be said about Shostakovich, some of his works can be chilling at times.
I'd say Prokofiev as an honorable mention, Dance of the Knights and Battle on the Ice sound like the kind of big imposing pieces you'd see in films, although I don't know much else about him.

Response to Classical Musi; Who's the Scariest? 2017-12-19 10:30:51

Earle Brown, the scarily genius in experimental classical and jazz music. Some of his most mind blowing work is Twenty-Five Pages, where 25 pages of sheet music for piano can be played randomly at any given time. Brown was also the creator of open form music, somewhat I was influenced from some of its style. Novara.

At 12/18/17 02:56 PM, Tyguy80s wrote: For orchestral music, I say Gustav Mahler. For piano works, I say Lowell Liebermann. How about you? Who's the scariest composer?

Woah, I have some studying to do. I have to agree though, how dare I say scary and orchestra in the same sentence with mentioning The Rite of The Depths of Hell. Mahler wasn't really atonal, but I guess how dramatic his music was. Mahler was dramatic and intense, not outright scary. I love Schonenbergs Verklerte Nacht. I haven't heard of Mussorgky, Brown, or Skrjabin. I love Shostokovich in general. His Viola Sonata is eerie as heck.

Thanks for sharing!

I've been a member WAY too long... but now I write classical music! Check me out! k thx bye ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Classical Musi; Who's the Scariest? 2017-12-19 15:45:05

At 12/19/17 06:18 AM, etelik wrote:
At 12/18/17 02:56 PM, Tyguy80s wrote:

:: And then there is Alexander Skrjabin...

To explain how fucking scary and crazy he was, one has to delve into the believes of hinduism. Basicaly the whole world is the dream of the Godhead (Brahman), who sleeps for 3 million or something years. While his sleep he dreams up the whole universe we exist in, while perfectly playing the role of everyone existing, and he does it so well that he himself forgets that he dreams. But he wakes up eventually and thus the universe we know it ceases to exist, until he goes to sleep again. Now Skrajbin the crazy mofo wanted to write a musical piece so epical and colossal, that the Godhead would awake early, thus destroying everything we know. He wanted to achieve that by a composition performed by 2000 people in a specialy for this purpouse built cathedral at the foot of the himalayas. The whole opus should be a week long event...

Uh, yeah I think that wins...
Also, where did you read about that piece? because a quick search of Scriabin brought me nothing of the sort, however I did find out that the man was apparently less than 5ft, had synesthesia and was even convinced that he was God himself, going as far as to attempt walking across Lake Geneva and writing poetry about his supreme Godliness.
Scriabin's life, it seems, was just as, if not more wacky and perhaps disturbing as his music.

Response to Classical Musi; Who's the Scariest? 2017-12-20 19:26:03

At 12/20/17 02:22 AM, DarkRoxy wrote: Hans Zimmmer

...and the fact that Inception's theme is used in every "motivational" video on YouTube accompanied with the Muhammad Ali "I'll show you how great I am!" speech. BTW I love that speaking, but those motivational videos are sorta cheesy :) Interstellar's organ track is eerie indeed.

BBS Signature

Response to Classical Musi; Who's the Scariest? 2017-12-20 22:18:43

OP said classical, not Zebra presets.

Response to Classical Musi; Who's the Scariest? 2017-12-21 00:09:49

At 12/20/17 10:18 PM, I0TA wrote:

As much as I agree with this statement, I think it's too limiting to set that boundary like that. Music's WAY better when you creatively expand the so-called "confines" of song structure and harmony.

In other words, Hans Zimmer isn't a classical era composer. However, he comes from the realm of contemporary orchestral music. Even if it's film scoring... actually yeah film scoring is the only sub-genre of orchestral music your average consumer is film-miliar with these days apart from video game music.

Modern film composers are usually inspired by the likes of Schonenberg, Stravinsky, and Mahler anyhow. It should be a fine addition to the thread. Hans Zimmer in the pan for 10mins. ocassionaly stir every three minutes until golden brown...

...I like puns...

BBS Signature

Response to Classical Musi; Who's the Scariest? 2017-12-21 00:25:38

At 12/21/17 12:09 AM, Tyguy80s wrote: As much as I agree with this statement, I think it's too limiting to set that boundary like that. Music's WAY better when you creatively expand the so-called "confines" of song structure and harmony.

Hans Zimmer is the David Guetta of film score scene.

Response to Classical Musi; Who's the Scariest? 2017-12-21 00:37:01

At 12/21/17 12:25 AM, I0TA wrote:
At 12/21/17 12:09 AM, Tyguy80s wrote: As much as I agree with this statement, I think it's too limiting to set that boundary like that. Music's WAY better when you creatively expand the so-called "confines" of song structure and harmony.
Hans Zimmer is the David Guetta of film score scene.

ROFLMAO! I just learned that David's the Hey Mama DJ. I happen to really like that song BTW. The music video's slutty though, what you'd expect in a pop music video. Nonetheless, there's a time and a place for that kinda music. You can learn a bit/ review penultimate foundational concepts from pop music in terms of song writing. Even if it's just a basic rhythm from a melody or something.

I get what your saying though. Hans isn't really classical music, he's a contemporary film scorer and the reason his stuff's popular is because 1.) it's conforms to a lot of song structure and themes/motifs in popular music and 2.) big Hollywood conglomerates "the man" says it's good.

Trying to stay open-minded in terms of musical inspiration. That being said, that three-keyed piano makes a bold statement.

BBS Signature

Response to Classical Musi; Who's the Scariest? 2017-12-21 00:41:07

At 12/21/17 12:37 AM, Tyguy80s wrote: I get what your saying though. Hans isn't really classical music, he's a contemporary film scorer and the reason his stuff's popular is because 1.) it's conforms to a lot of song structure and themes/motifs in popular music and 2.) big Hollywood conglomerates "the man" says it's good.

Trying to stay open-minded in terms of musical inspiration. That being said, that three-keyed piano makes a bold statement.

If it made you feel better, being naked in the dark and reading this, I was inspired by Hans Zimmer, that was how I started writing music nearly 15 years ago. I also have had brief interaction with him on Vi-Control. Nonetheless, Zimmer is still a Zebra preset pusher.

Response to Classical Musi; Who's the Scariest? 2017-12-21 03:50:09

At 12/21/17 03:47 AM, DarkRoxy wrote:
At 12/20/17 10:18 PM, I0TA wrote:
So what, all his music is based on classical.

I'm ought to post Tupac on here cos you said all music is based on classical.

At 12/21/17 03:53 AM, DarkRoxy wrote: I said his music, can you not read?

But his music is not classical, can you read?

This is wat Hans was before the BRAAAAAAAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5eUSgr4RQ0

IM NOT SURE IT WAS CLASSICAL