New Topic Respond to this Topic
DarkRoxy
DarkRoxy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Calling all Bassists 2017-11-30 00:30:29 Reply

I'm buying my first Bass (no amp needed)

I have a small budget

I was looking at this

what do you think fam

BBS Signature
EagleGuard
EagleGuard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-11-30 03:29:09 Reply

At 11/30/17 12:30 AM, DarkRoxy wrote: I'm buying my first Bass (no amp needed)

I have a small budget

I was looking at this

what do you think fam

Epiphone is a pretty decent brand (part of Gibson), and the guitar I own from them is holding up very well after a few years of play. Honestly, if you're a beginning bass player, this one will probably be good enough.

That said, it's better if you can somehow test-drive it first to get a feel for the instrument. It might look great now, but you won't really know how it plays until you actually hold it in your hands. In addition, it's hard to tell what sound you'll get exactly with these pickups, so you might want to research that a bit more.

Ectisity
Ectisity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-01 19:15:58 Reply

It's a pretty decent bass for the price range. I would personally have upped my budget by at least a 100$, but if you're on a strict budget it's as good as it gets. The tone is pretty good and it's easy to play on. It's a good bass no doubt. Good choice for a beginner.

New Track - Colour Color Farge Coleur
Need good feedback? Consider checking out the Review Request Club
Ectisity - Leader of the {Review Request Club}

BBS Signature
Ghoti
Ghoti
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-01 22:23:29 Reply

I have a small budget

I was looking at this

what do you think fam

Epiphone is a good company. You can't go wrong.

Get this one instead.

The Ibanez Soundgears are out of this world bang for your buck.

I carry your heart. I carry it in my heart.

BBS Signature
Ectisity
Ectisity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-01 23:17:28 (edited 2017-12-01 23:19:07) Reply

Get this one instead.

Ah, yea I also want to recommend the GSR200. Was the first bass I got and I still have it as a secondary bass. It's as good as new after 8 years.

BBS Signature
ADR3-N
ADR3-N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-02 03:28:20 Reply

Came to this thread expecting you needed someone to do bass for ya. I snagged Ample Metal Ray 5. I'm a sucker for 5 strings. The bass you're looking at isn't bad for the price range, and it seems decent quality. I would check out the action and make sure it's okay if and when you get it.

DarkRoxy
DarkRoxy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-03 10:48:52 Reply

At 12/1/17 10:23 PM, Ghoti wrote:

I have a small budget

I was looking at this

what do you think fam
Epiphone is a good company. You can't go wrong.

Get this one instead.

I didn't really want to go in the Djent direction but if you insist

BBS Signature
DarkRoxy
DarkRoxy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-03 10:52:19 Reply

At 12/2/17 03:28 AM, ADR3-N wrote: Came to this thread expecting you needed someone to do bass for ya. I snagged Ample Metal Ray 5. I'm a sucker for 5 strings. The bass you're looking at isn't bad for the price range, and it seems decent quality. I would check out the action and make sure it's okay if and when you get it.

I have nothing against digital plugins but I can't get the sound I want using them.

BBS Signature
ADR3-N
ADR3-N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-03 11:26:24 Reply

At 12/3/17 10:52 AM, DarkRoxy wrote: I have nothing against digital plugins but I can't get the sound I want using them.

I was thinking along the same lines until I got AMR. Most of the sound of a bass is the FX, usually, although bass in general is just a godsend to my ears. As someone who likes not having to do 4 or 5 different takes or tune all day long, it does help me out having AMR. Not to mention, it's very flexible. Plus I don't have to buy a DI box to get a good sound.

What sort of timbre are you going for?

DarkRoxy
DarkRoxy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-03 12:04:17 Reply

At 12/3/17 11:26 AM, ADR3-N wrote:
At 12/3/17 10:52 AM, DarkRoxy wrote: I have nothing against digital plugins but I can't get the sound I want using them.
What sort of timbre are you going for?

I have no idea. I didn't even want to have bass in my future music, but a very good band I like told me to add bass. So I just do what I'm told basically.

BBS Signature
ADR3-N
ADR3-N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-03 12:19:45 (edited 2017-12-03 12:22:49) Reply

At 12/3/17 12:04 PM, DarkRoxy wrote: I have no idea. I didn't even want to have bass in my future music, but a very good band I like told me to add bass. So I just do what I'm told basically.

I personally would probably go for a VST then, if it isn't something you really want to spend a lot of time fooling around with. Unless you're passionate and actually want to play bass.

Specifically, what genre are you going for? What level are you at professionally? Does any of your music feature midi? Could you do whatever it is you want to do with midi or a midi controller? These are definitely things to consider when thinking about virtual versus phyiscal instruments. As someone who has had both, I can definitely say a physical bass is not as convenient for me -- or as pleasing to the ear, considering I'm a natural fumblefingers and it takes me hours of practice to do a simple run through of a song -- or multiple takes and splicing. Plus, I can change tunings in a couple seconds and save presets versus a few minutes on a physical bass -- or having to have more than one bass to swap out during live performances.

With AMR, I write it, tweak some velocities, and the bass track is 100% good to go, from head to DAW in an hour or two. I can also play it like a keyboard which is pretty awesome, and it emulates 5 strings surprisingly well. Definitely worth the price. It's all a matter of what you prefer.

so basically, VSTs are perfect for writing out demos without having to play something to see if it flows

Also, with respect to that band you like, there is some pretty good music out there that doesn't in fact have bass. ;)

it's just not usually my type though, no offense to anyone who does like it
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-03 12:43:34 (edited 2017-12-03 12:47:18) Reply

If you're determined to get it, make it your second, rather than first bass. It's a fair price to pay new, let alone secondhand -- but if you're feelin' like playing bass, then go right ahead!

Reason I say this is because I did get -- or rather, the fiancé did get his Fender Squier P-Bass secondhand for £40 (~$54), and all that while I'm still learning it. For a learner, it's a steal. Now I suppose you are getting that new -- if you're getting it, be sure you're gonna use it.

Orangebeef
Orangebeef
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-03 20:32:57 Reply

that's a real lame looking bass IMO but if it works then its worth it for a first bass. & if it visually reflects the genres you like.

The New Signature By Orange Beef

BBS Signature
DarkRoxy
DarkRoxy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-04 07:53:10 Reply

At 12/3/17 12:19 PM, ADR3-N wrote:
Specifically, what genre are you going for? What level are you at professionally? Does any of your music feature midi? Could you do whatever it is you want to do with midi or a midi controller?

Mathcore/Djent basicially

I make studio songs I don't do live stuff, it's a different process. I've done bass on midi before fine but like I said I do what the pros tell me, even if I don't agree.

BBS Signature
Ectisity
Ectisity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-04 18:42:15 Reply

At 12/4/17 07:53 AM, DarkRoxy wrote:
At 12/3/17 12:19 PM, ADR3-N wrote:
Specifically, what genre are you going for? What level are you at professionally? Does any of your music feature midi? Could you do whatever it is you want to do with midi or a midi controller?
Mathcore/Djent basicially

I make studio songs I don't do live stuff, it's a different process. I've done bass on midi before fine but like I said I do what the pros tell me, even if I don't agree.

It's all good to follow advice from someone you respect, but only telling you to "add bass to your songs" is a pretty vague piece of advice, and honestly there's a limit to how much a band knows about studio work. Bass is an essential element in all pieces of music, so if you don't have some sort of bass layer in your tracks it will feel empty. This is probably what they meant when they told you to add bass to your tracks. The thing is though, a physical el-bassguitar isn't the only ting that can take on the role of a bass in your tracks. Synth basses, midi basses, Cello's, Trombones etc., can also make up a bass layer.
As a beginner it will take you at least 1-2 years of playing before you can do a better job on a physical bass than with a midi-bass, so if your only intention is to add bass to your tracks, and you're not actually interested in playing bass, I would look for other options.

It's all well and good to follow advice, but it's absolutely meaningless if you don't get the reasoning behind it. My advice would be to polish up your skills and knowledge before starting to buy pointless equipment.

BBS Signature
DarkRoxy
DarkRoxy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-05 19:07:28 Reply

At 12/4/17 06:42 PM, Ectisity wrote:
It's all well and good to follow advice, but it's absolutely meaningless if you don't get the reasoning behind it. My advice would be to polish up your skills and knowledge before starting to buy pointless equipment.

I assume the reason behind it is because real bass sounds different than midi bass, depending on what you're making.

BBS Signature
Ectisity
Ectisity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-05 19:34:38 (edited 2017-12-05 19:35:28) Reply

At 12/5/17 07:07 PM, DarkRoxy wrote:
At 12/4/17 06:42 PM, Ectisity wrote:
I assume the reason behind it is because real bass sounds different than midi bass, depending on what you're making.

There are so many different kind of basses and different ways to play a HUGE variety of sounds. There's no definite "bass" sound out there, that's why there exist so many different types of basses. A sampled midi bass is made out of authentic real bass sounds played by a real bassplayer on a real bassguitar. The sound will be exactly the same as if you had it yourself and played it. The reason why a reall bass trumps a midi bass is because there a lot more advanced techniques that midi technology can't truly grasp, ut you wont be using them anytime soon if you're just starting out.

It's your decision in the end, but I really think you could learning a bit more about your alternatives and the instrument before spending money on something you don't need.

Ps. Also, if you're going to get any good sound out of you're bass, you need a good bass amp + A direct input to connect your bass to the recording system. A decent amp will cost you at least 200$, and a good one, almost twice as much.

BBS Signature
DarkRoxy
DarkRoxy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-05 19:49:02 Reply

At 12/5/17 07:34 PM, Ectisity wrote:
There are so many different kind of basses and different ways to play a HUGE variety of sounds. There's no definite "bass" sound out there, that's why there exist so many different types of basses. A sampled midi bass is made out of authentic real bass sounds played by a real bassplayer on a real bassguitar. The sound will be exactly the same as if you had it yourself and played it. The reason why a reall bass trumps a midi bass is because there a lot more advanced techniques that midi technology can't truly grasp, ut you wont be using them anytime soon if you're just starting out.

It's not exactly the same I've already compared the two. I had my friend plugin to my interface and play simple stuff and I can hear the difference. On top of that his bass is mid grade and my preamps are not that good.

Ps. Also, if you're going to get any good sound out of you're bass, you need a good bass amp + A direct input to connect your bass to the recording system. A decent amp will cost you at least 200$, and a good one, almost twice as much.

I have digital amps for now.

BBS Signature
Ectisity
Ectisity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-05 20:14:52 Reply

It's not exactly the same I've already compared the two. I had my friend plugin to my interface and play simple stuff and I can hear the difference. On top of that his bass is mid grade and my preamps are not that good.

May I ask what bass libraries/vst's you've compared with?

BBS Signature
DarkRoxy
DarkRoxy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-05 20:30:33 Reply

At 12/5/17 08:14 PM, Ectisity wrote:

Logic comes with bass libraries and amps which I mainly used. But the best one I've used ironically is the plugin Real 8's bass setting, which are really a 8 string guitar samples, you can hear nuisances and stuff the other one I've tried don't do.

It all still sounds fake to me, but that's just my opinion.

BBS Signature
Ectisity
Ectisity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-05 20:49:38 Reply

At 12/5/17 08:30 PM, DarkRoxy wrote:
At 12/5/17 08:14 PM, Ectisity wrote:
Logic comes with bass libraries and amps which I mainly used. But the best one I've used ironically is the plugin Real 8's bass setting, which are really a 8 string guitar samples, you can hear nuisances and stuff the other one I've tried don't do.

It all still sounds fake to me, but that's just my opinion.

Most of the libraries that come with logic are of really low quality, that's why they are free, and real 8 isn't a bass vst, the bass setting on it is just an eq'd version of the lower strings on the 8 string, it isn't a bass. Check out spectrasonics Trillian, Ample Metal Ray 5 or some of Scarbee's bass libraries if you want a proper bass vst/library.

But pick what you think is best for you. It's your music, so I can give advice about what I would prefer personally, but it's up to you.

BBS Signature
ADR3-N
ADR3-N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-07 09:18:12 Reply

At 12/5/17 08:49 PM, Ectisity wrote: Most of the libraries that come with logic are of really low quality, that's why they are free, and real 8 isn't a bass vst, the bass setting on it is just an eq'd version of the lower strings on the 8 string, it isn't a bass.

Can confirm. Every free bass I've tried has been pretty much junk for djenting.

Check out spectrasonics Trillian, Ample Metal Ray 5 or some of Scarbee's bass libraries if you want a proper bass vst/library.

@RealFaction mentioned Scarbee to me not long before I found Ample Metal Ray 5. If you want to hear something recent I've done with AMR ... lemme find a link. Not djent, but the main reason I chose AMR was the 5 strings, specifically. Made that whole song in a day. Still a demo that could probably use work. All the instruments are MIDI.

But pick what you think is best for you. It's your music, so I can give advice about what I would prefer personally, but it's up to you.

Yeah. I will say though, if you do get a physical bass, you will need lots of other equipment, such as a DI box, pedals, pre-amps, etc. The choice will still be between physical and digital. I decided to just go digital because I can do studio work in the coffee shop if I wanna, and it sounds reasonably good. Pitch bends, humanizing, FX slides and slaps are really all I need. If you were going with something like @Ceevro's singalong this year though I'd for sure recommend physical bass. @MetalRenard for sure feels the same.

Ceevro
Ceevro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-07 11:28:48 Reply

Physical bass doesn't necessarily need a whole pile of extra stuff.

I work out of Garageband, and the only hardware I need is a 1/4" to 1/8' adaptor and a lead cord. I just plug directly into the side of my mac, and all the amps and pedals are built-in. I know most people don't work out of GB, but for us live-recorders, it's actually quite good.

And I also used to work in a guitar shop, so I can tell you that basses can be pretty cheap. $400 will get you something quite reasonable. $200 will get you something playable.

DarkRoxy
DarkRoxy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-07 16:08:54 (edited 2017-12-07 16:15:38) Reply

At 12/7/17 11:28 AM, Ceevro wrote:
I work out of Garageband, and the only hardware I need is a 1/4" to 1/8' adaptor and a lead cord. I just plug directly into the side of my mac, and all the amps and pedals are built-in. I know most people don't work out of GB, but for us live-recorders, it's actually quite good.

How are you doing that, my 2011 macbook only has a 1/8 output

BBS Signature
DarkRoxy
DarkRoxy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-07 16:14:47 Reply

At 12/7/17 09:18 AM, ADR3-N wrote:
At 12/5/17 08:49 PM, Ectisity wrote: Most of the libraries that come with logic are of really low quality, that's why they are free, and real 8 isn't a bass vst, the bass setting on it is just an eq'd version of the lower strings on the 8 string, it isn't a bass.

Also they are not free, they are included with Logic, which you have to pay for.

BBS Signature
Ectisity
Ectisity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-07 16:26:28 Reply

At 12/7/17 04:14 PM, DarkRoxy wrote:
At 12/7/17 09:18 AM, ADR3-N wrote:
Also they are not free, they are included with Logic, which you have to pay for.

They are considered free because you pay for logic itself and not the content that come with it. Anyways, my point is that they are bad regardless of if they're free or not.

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-07 18:57:34 Reply

I use a Line 6 UX2 to record my guitars and bass and a scarlet 2i4 to record vocals. I could do everything with my UX2 if I wanted. A UX1 is only around £100 and it comes with tons of stuff.
My bass was under £200 and is relatively good (Ibanez) for the price. It has some cool features such as on-board bass and trebel boost/cut.
Guitars are a different matter - I'm definitely a guitarist and not a bassist so I spent most of my budget on a good guitar.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Veteran REAPER user. Click below for the song that got me 2nd place. :)

BBS Signature
Ceevro
Ceevro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-08 09:17:15 Reply

Get a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor. They cost six bucks at any electronics store.

DarkRoxy
DarkRoxy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-08 17:04:42 Reply

At 12/8/17 09:17 AM, Ceevro wrote:

yeah but how are you recording through a output

BBS Signature
Ceevro
Ceevro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Calling all Bassists 2017-12-08 19:04:03 Reply

At 12/8/17 05:04 PM, DarkRoxy wrote:
At 12/8/17 09:17 AM, Ceevro wrote:

yeah but how are you recording through a output

Macbook pros and iMacs have an input. It's marked with an X by the output.