00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is This Copyright Infringement

341 Views | 6 Replies

...or is it considered as it's own standalone thing? Basically, I wanted to badly cover (as in using the wrong notes and adding in unnecessary tidbits) of My Heart Will Go One using only an ocarina, so that I could put it in as background music in an animation. o:
Does this infringe on copyright even though I'm making it something different? Or would it still violate it?

I feel as though copyright is kind of a tricky thing to understand. ;w;

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

From the audio guidelines:

"COVERS and REMIXES of existing songs are accepted if you have permission from the original artist or the original song is public domain. We can not accept covers of songs you've heard on the radio or anything else that you don't have rights to."

And from the game/movie guidelines:

"You must have rights to the music in your submission, or be using music that grants rights freely. Your favorite song from the radio can't be played here."

Since the song in question is from a major record label I would say it's a no-go, unfortunately. From the sounds of it I doubt your cover would get you in any legal heat but NG's own rules need to err on the side of caution. You should check the audio portal and try to find something suitable to use instead.

Response to Is This Copyright Infringement 2017-10-21 14:45:10

At 10/21/17 02:01 PM, Jackho wrote: From the audio guidelines:

"COVERS and REMIXES of existing songs are accepted if you have permission from the original artist or the original song is public domain. We can not accept covers of songs you've heard on the radio or anything else that you don't have rights to."

Ahh, okay that makes sense. ;w; Thank you! I remember remixes not being allowed but I wasn't sure about covers... I probably should have read the rules over first now that I think about it. lol

So with that said, I guess the thread can be locked since that answered my question perfectly. ovo

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Copyright Infringement 2017-10-21 16:23:40

I think it's worth noting, that by playing it intentionally badly and changing up a few things, you could argue that it's parody, but yeah, the safest bet is to just use something you know you have the rights to use.

Response to Is This Copyright Infringement 2017-10-21 17:21:04

At 10/21/17 04:23 PM, artistunknown wrote: I think it's worth noting, that by playing it intentionally badly and changing up a few things, you could argue that it's parody, but yeah, the safest bet is to just use something you know you have the rights to use.

Yeaaaah, that's why I wasn't sure at first. .w. I ended up just making some bootleg sitcom theme instead, which I think worked out a lot better anyway so hey.

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

At 10/23/17 12:54 PM, Louisetheanimator wrote: I'd say it violates it so don't go for it as you could get in trouble for it. Possibly try something of your own creation or use public domain music?

This has already been solved, I stated earlier that I ended up using a different song after someone had answered with pretty much the same thing.

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Copyright Infringement 2017-10-23 15:32:21

OP requested lock

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature