00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Do you think Nintendo...

805 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Do you think Nintendo... 2017-10-19 02:03:18

Is backwards compared to other console makers?

Aside from everything else they've been doing so far, the newest Switch update adds a recording feature for select games but this can only record 30 seconds at a time. Additionally, it's now possible to transfer save and user data to an another Switch console but doing so means that this data is no longer available on the previous Switch console. Aside from the fact that these two features really should have been available back when Switch launched, their method of implementation is just weird... Seems like Nintendo still wants to play by their own rules it seems...

Response to Do you think Nintendo... 2017-10-19 12:16:50

They're definitely not backwards, but they do take a very different approach than other console manufacturers. Never too concerned with how powerful a console they can make, but rather always trying to add something to complement or expand the experience. They target a much larger audience than others, they want kids, young adults, and your mum to play their games and own their systems. We get a lot of family friendly games, inoffensive with bright colours and cute characters, I think this leads to a lot of people mislabelling Nintendo as only making stuff suitable for children. There was some news recently about Nintendo being more open to mature games, and both Doom and Wolfenstein are literally just around the corner and are "core" games.

Nintendo has been around for a very long time, formed in the 1800's, they are at heart a toy company, and I think it shows.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you think Nintendo... 2017-10-19 16:34:42

Nintendo isn’t so much as a backwards (whatever that means) game company, as much as they are different, and they have been this way going back to the SNES, for better or worse. I think their biggest problem they had the last decade or so aside from being hard to work with with 3rd party publishers/developers, is that they tend to put too much focus on being a “family” console instead of the usual 18-35 demographic that PS/Xbox/PC goes for, and while there is nothing wrong with that necessarily, it does make some of the more mature offerings seem a bit awkward at best (Eternal Darkness, Madworld) and way off-base at worst (Bayonetta 2) for Nintendo.

Having said that, I do feel like there is an attempt to make the Switch more of a “mature” console while still keeping the family market, which I like better than going to the well one too many times with the Wii U. The jury’s still out on the Switch as a whole, so we have to wait and see if they can deliver on that.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you think Nintendo... 2017-10-21 02:28:01

At 10/19/17 11:13 AM, BoxerBraydog wrote: I do 100% think that Nintendo is completely different from the other companies. They seem to take a kiddie like approach to Consoles compared to PS3 and XBOX yet they still perfect it.

As well as that, they are absolute gods when it comes to hardware. Literally every console they've made has introduced a new way to play their games( That may even include the Virtual Boy, as well).

they're gods of gimmicks and riding two franchises to the ends of the earth, Mario and Zelda. no one likes motion controls anymore, that was a massively popular fad that's dead now, as evidenced by their almost complete abandonment of it with the Switch.

Nintendo is run by stodgy old Japanese men who live in the past and can't understand the modern gaming culture. they operate in a weird, nonsensical way, but since they have Zelda and Mario they could ship tuna fish cans instead of Switches and still profit.

i really don't like Nintendo.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Do you think Nintendo... 2017-10-21 12:29:15

I feel like Nintendo definitely tries to be different, especially with things like online multiplayer

BBS Signature

Response to Do you think Nintendo... 2017-10-25 13:52:38

Not really. If you think about it, Nintendo's consoles have never been solely about being the most powerful or streamlined, but rather something that differentiated them from their competition.

While everyone was jumping on the CD-bandwagon, Nintendo released the N64 which stubbornly used cartridges. Then came the gamecube, with its somewhat iconic "lunchbox" design. And while the PS3 and Xbox 360 were duking it out, there was the Wii which created a motion control-trend of its own... which may or may not have been a good thing. *coughkinectcough*

And in between all of these home consoles there were all the handheld consoles, which Nintendo has always managed to dominate. Even as Sega tried their Game Gear or Sony tried their PSP to get a foot in, the Gameboy and DS absolutely destroyed the competition. I mean, can you even think of a good handheld console that wasn't made by Nintendo? Not a decent one, but a good one?

And there was also the Wii U... I don't have much to say about that one, it's just a shockingly mediocre console.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about the Switch. Yes it does continue Nintendo's tactic of making themselves look different and has some interesting hybrid ideas behind it, but the thing is just so awkward and it doesn't really cut it as a handheld console, making the hybrid part rather redundant... But if the thing is good enough to house something like effin' BotW then it can't be a dud by any means!

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a fanboy by any means. I respect Nintendo and their ability to remain not only relevant but also strong in today's market, but I also realise that they are riding a strong base of beloved titles, nostalgia and economic security. Almost anyone could make ends meet with something like that. And their run hasn't been flawless either. The Virtual Boy is an infamous example of being too ahead of your time, with a design that is really backwards. The 3DS had a rocky start to it, but at least it quickly got its footing back. And they have mishandled a few of their most beloved series lately, like Star Fox and Metroid, although Metroid looks to be making a comeback of sorts.

I've always been a fan of Sonic myself. But it wasn't because his games were the best, but rather because of his character and design. Sega could've made it big if they'd stayed focused on the simple gameplay of the early 90's, but they were the victims of poor management, various trends and the simple fact that they tried to be Nintendo yet completely misunderstood what being Nintendo is about. They thought that being Nintendo was copying everything Nintendo did, but being Nintendo is to do something different to everyone else; not just jumping on bandwagons, but creating and/or perfecting them.

In a way Nintendo is a bit backwards, in that their consoles tend to be weaker than their competition. But it's the difference between fighting a body-builder and a martial artist: One looks imposing, the other is imposing. I'd rather not pick a fight with either of them, but if I was forced to choose I'd go for the big guy, because at least I know what he's going to do...

But those are just my thoughts. :D

Response to Do you think Nintendo... 2017-10-25 16:51:59

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'backwards'. The other consoles are more powerful then Nintendo but that's like saying you have the giant arm but then you don't know how to use it. Nintendo have been around for over a century and they seen to know how to sell toys. Then they entered the video game market. They must be doing something right.

I do shy away from the Nintendo console a bit but whenever I complete a game for it, I do feel more fulfilled playing on their console then the other consoles. it feels like I'm fighting and beating down a Sony console to be honest and the Xbox is a climb but usually worth it. I prefer Nintendo as a more gentle experience of gameplay and what the company represents.