00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Daily Diary of an Uber Driver

3,461 Views | 62 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-24 22:49:42

At 10/24/17 02:51 AM, Fro wrote: New stories posted. Question to everyone. Would everyone like to see a better breakdown of each trip? Perhaps something like this?

Tip: $1.00
Miles: 10
Time: 23 minutes
Trip Earnings: $40,389.93

@ADR3-N @Cyberdevil @SevenSeize @RemileOduen @Template88 @normalgeist @The-Great-One @OneThousandMeeps

Not a bad idea. I do wonder though. What made you want to get into Uber in the first place? How did you find out about it? Perhaps you should do this break down for the end of the week with a full recap. Don't let us influence you too much though, when you recount stories it won't come naturally and you'll become either too analytical or too stoner. It will either be all figures... or...

I took an old lady to get groceries... she got Spaghetti O's... I like Spaghetti O's... she called me a dear. She tipped me 25 cents... I'm hungry now.

If you want to break it all down for us then do so. I'm enjoying this as is, and so are others from the looks of things.

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-24 23:05:51

Day 6

Trip 1: Running errands

I jump in the car, turn on my app, and head toward the downtown area. I have a couple of errands to run including dropping off a phone charger to my girlfriend's brother and returning a redbox. I had such a good day in rides the day before that this is really my main goal, but anything that I happen to get in the meantime would be ok. I get pretty close to where the redbox drop off is when I get pinged for a ride. The redbox will have to wait.

I pick up who I think is a student from a restaurant downtown. They have me pick them up in a really bad spot. A one way, one lane street that is usually filled with cars wanting to get through. I think they realize this because as soon as they are aware that I'm there they pick up all their belongings and quickly sprint to the car.

We exchange our normal hello's, how are you doing today's, but that's all. They are typing frantically on their laptop. The sort of typing you do when you are behind on a project. They're extremely focused on this so I don't try to start up any conversation.

We end up in a gated community. I have to be careful because there are tire spikes and trapped doors around every corner. She realizes that my car may die if I try to navigate this labyrinth and they tell me that they'll walk the rest of the way because it can be a hard complex to navigate. They get out and I wonder how important the person I just dropped off was because of the frantic, yet efficient work they were doing in my car along with the heavily booby trapped apartment complex. VIP perhaps or maybe just a young college student with anxious parents.

No tip. I earn $3.75

----------

Trip 2: Errands can wait

I change up the order of my errands since I am now closer to my charger drop off than I am the redbox. I pull into the driveway and get pinged immediately. I accept it and toss the charger on the front porch before running back to my car. There's one errand down, another to go after this trip.

I pull into a side street not far from my location. My rider is on the ground level looking up at what I assume is their partner on a 2nd story porch. The partner smiles and waves goodbye, but you can see the sadness in their eyes. A child is wrapped around the partners leg with the same expression.

Remember how Uber doesn't tell you how far the trip is going to be? I remember. They get into my car and we introduce each other. I hit the start trip button like usual. "Oh shit..." The estimated time reads 2 hours and 10 minutes. "So... where are we headed?" They tell me their destination, which I had assumed based off of the time it was going to take to get there. I quickly text my girlfriend where I'm headed. I'm afraid that she'll be upset because it's my night to make dinner and she's been doing more of the household chores then she should be. I haven't been pulling my wait at home and am struggling balancing my 2nd job with my other duties.

Like the amazing person she is, she doesn't mind. She just tells me to be safe and is looking forward for when I get home. I turn to my rider and make sure he's aware that I've never been to where we are going so he could feel free to speak up if he knows a better way. It's a really hot day so I ask him if he rather me close the windows and turn the air conditioner on. The windows being down isn't really cooling me off as I'm just getting bombarded by warm air. He wants the windows down because it's a beautiful day. The customers always right. I'm sweaty and am reminded that I didn't put deodorant on today because I hadn't planned on being around people for more than a couple of minutes while I ran my errands.

They ask if it's alright that they do some work on their laptop. I guess I have another VIP on my hands. I tell them it's no problem and try to find something decent on the radio. I can't find any good music and end up just turning it down. The wind is making it basically impossible to hear anyway. It's not long that we hit traffic, but it's only for about 10 minutes. It's the only time we hit any traffic and the rest of the ride is actually quite beautiful.

About half way through the trip I notice their done typing and have put their laptop away. We start talking a little bit about the normal stuff. We talk a lot about the weather and what it was like where we were from before we moved to this state. They have some friends from Ireland who got really upset when they came to visit because they thought it was always supposed to be sunny and hot on the west coast, only to find out that it can be cold and rainy half of the year.

I ask them about their job, they're in research something. I tell them I have no clue what that was. I'm not quite sure if they do either, but they do manage a basic explanation. "I basically help customers email their customers." Sounds slightly more interesting than my desk job, but pays a lot more.

We finally get to their apartment after making great time. It's really beautiful and quiet in their neighborhood. It looks like a neighborhood from Full House. I call my girlfriend and let her know that I'm safe and on my way home. I stop to get gas making sure to turn off my Uber app. It would be amazing to get a ride from my current location back to where I need to go, but I really can't afford taking the risk of going out of my way in an area that I don't know.

On the way home I turn on some rap music and make a fool of myself the entire way home. I'm actually in a pretty good mood despite driving my day away. I make it back in time to return the redbox and make dinner. Lasagna soup.

They don't tip, but I earn $84.71

----------

Daily total: $88.46

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-24 23:21:08

New stories. I should be able to write at least most of the next day's tonight. If I finish at a reasonable time I'll even post them tonight.

The general opinion is that the totals don't really matter too much. That being said, I'm not going to talk about the cost of gas anymore. I already keep track of it in an excel sheet and it doesn't really add to the value of these stories.

@ADR3-N @Cyberdevil @SevenSeize @RemileOduen @Template88 @normalgeist @The-Great-One @OneThousandMeeps

----------

At 10/24/17 02:45 PM, OneThousandMeeps wrote:
How about once a week you tell us the totals for the week, and optionally the totals since the beginning.

This seems to be the general census. Thanks, I think I'll do that.

At 10/24/17 05:01 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 10/24/17 02:51 AM, Fro wrote: Trip Earnings: $40,389.93
That I'd like to see sometime. XD But no, current breakdowns are fine IMO. As @OneThousandMeeps mentions it'd be fun with a weekly breakdown though. Or monthly. Yearly. However long this thing goes.

Oh god, I hope I'm not doing it a year from now, but who knows.... it's kind of addictive.

You mentioned you were looking for typos

I'll update all this on the word document. Grammar and spelling are my biggest weakness.

All in all another day of entertaining trips! And no particularly rich folks this time. Looks like tips aren't so common.

They aren't, but to be fair I haven't really gone out of my to earn anything yet. I may mess around with trying to do that to see if they pick up at all.

At 10/24/17 09:18 PM, ADR3-N wrote:
No opinion one way or the other, but a breakdown at the beginning before the narrative would grab my attention.

I'll think about that. It may reveal a little too much about the trips before people get to read about it. For example, if they see I only have two trips, like above this post, and make close to $90, they'll figure out that I had a super long ride before they even read about it. Thoughts?

I saw. Sucks you got no tip. I'd be interested to know, is it the young people or the old that are the worst about that? Years ago, I can remember nobody would think twice before tipping a ride. Today, a lot of people take that for granted.

It seems like the majority of the tips I've gotten come from middle aged couples. (Within my age group) I guess 29 might not be middle aged, but I think the people who relate to me the most fall in that age group and therefor tip me more often.

At 10/24/17 10:49 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
Not a bad idea. I do wonder though. What made you want to get into Uber in the first place? How did you find out about it?

I've taken what you've said about the book very seriously and plan on writing all of this information to only be available in the book version. I'm going to use this as a way to get some of the rough ideas out with feedback, but I'm going to write a very short bio about myself and the reasoning behind everything for sure. I mentally wrote it on the walk back from work today and hope to get it into a word document by the end of the week.

Perhaps you should do this break down for the end of the week with a full recap. Don't let us influence you too much though, when you recount stories it won't come naturally and you'll become either too analytical or too stoner. It will either be all figures... or...

Noted...

I took an old lady to get groceries... she got Spaghetti O's... I like Spaghetti O's... she called me a dear. She tipped me 25 cents... I'm hungry now.

I am hungry now.

If you want to break it all down for us then do so. I'm enjoying this as is, and so are others from the looks of things.

People seem to be enjoying it the way it is. I'm going to keep writing it this way and when I post a weekly update it won't really be attached too any of the stories.

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-24 23:41:26

At 10/24/17 11:21 PM, Fro wrote: I'll think about that. It may reveal a little too much about the trips before people get to read about it. For example, if they see I only have two trips, like above this post, and make close to $90, they'll figure out that I had a super long ride before they even read about it. Thoughts?

Well, there's always the off chance you ran into a philanthropist. Might not be too likely, but you can always append it to the end, on the other hand.

It seems like the majority of the tips I've gotten come from middle aged couples. (Within my age group) I guess 29 might not be middle aged, but I think the people who relate to me the most fall in that age group and therefore* tip me more often.

Well I'll be. I'd thought it may have something to do with tipping becoming a seemingly foreign concept to our youth, but it's entirely possible that people are more likely to tip within their own age group. Then again, I don't really expect the elderly to ride with Uber over a common taxi, so the sample size naturally would be smaller. I'd be interested in stats on total trips and total trips by demographic, if you ever wanted to start doing that. Might learn something.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

A couple of particularly entertaining/relaxing trips this time. If you are interested in typo notes (still not 100%?): pulling my wait / customers always right / their done. Also noticed you added in a She there, on topic of that non-gender mention thing. Looking forward to the next batch.

At 10/24/17 11:21 PM, Fro wrote: People seem to be enjoying it the way it is. I'm going to keep writing it this way and when I post a weekly update it won't really be attached too any of the stories.

Sounds good!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-27 10:13:39

I'm still driving and still writing. I've actually wrote everything up to date besides a couple of trips from a few days ago. I didn't want to post anything out of order so those few trips are snagging me.

Yesterday I completed my 15 trips during the week to get my $60 bonus. They are running a promotion this weekend where I get $100 when I make 20 trips. I get until the end of Sunday starting today so I'm looking at trying to get 7 rides a day Friday through Sunday.

Then I'm going to use my extra trips to take Halloween off and spend it with my family. I missed it last time and I hate not seeing my daughter trick or treat.

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-28 02:36:00

Day 7

----------

Trip 1: Falafel?

This is my first Monday night experience. They’re running a promotion where you get a $60 bonus if you can make 15 rides from Monday to Thursday night. I plan on staying out the majority of the night if need be so I can stay on pace for the bonus. I start the app up in my house and sit for a little. When about 15 minutes go by and I don’t have a ping I head to my sweet spot downtown.

I get to a familiar red and get pinged for a pick up back almost exactly back to my apartment. The name paints a picture of what I believe the person should look like. When I pick them up I’m approached by a member of not only the opposite sex, but with a completely different pronunciation of their name then I had thought.

I ask them how their day is going and they state it was bad. They’re going to a Falafel house for dinner that I’ve never heard of, but I’ve driven by 100 times now. I drop them off with little interaction after a couple of attempts of conversation. After they get out of the car I ask myself a very important question. “Do I even know what a falafel is?” I don't.

No tip this time. I earn $3.75

----------

Trip 2: Donut Date

Since I never did make it to the downtown area I decide to head back the same road. I get exactly to the red light again and get pinged for another ride. It’s not downtown, but it’s very close at a donut shop next to a grocery store. I park the car and start to text them that I’ve arrived. As soon as I get half of my text started they appear not too far away from me. It always seems to happen like that. The mention how cool my car handles are because they’re higher up on the door then other vehicles. They love my car and are comparing it to how sturdy the older models are.

After debating about whether or not I should, I decide to tell them that somebody actually hit my car the other day while I was stopped at a red light. They pulled out of a parking lot and side swiped me. I got out of the car and there was only the smallest scratch on my car. The other person’s car was smashed in to the point that liquids were leaking out of their hood. They seem not to be bothered by the talk about being in a car accident while being driven in said car, but I figure not to take that risk again.

We talked a lot about driving from one coast to another. They are also from the opposite coast and have recently made about the same trip as I have, minus 700 miles. They ask me which route I take and I hate to admit it to them, but I really have no clue. Basically whatever the GPS told me I drove. I’m actually terrible with directions. I play it off as it’s been too long and I can’t quite remember. I mention a few states that I came through and they now know what route I took. “You must have taken highway insert number here!.” “Oh yeah, that’s right”, I answer.

I have a mini panic attack because I think I’m about to drive down the wrong way of a one way street, but my eyes are playing tricks on me. The one way street is after my turn. I drop these guys off and decide to head back to where the rides kept generating from. They don’t share their donuts from the donut shop.

No tip, I earn $5.39

----------

Trip 3: New Life

I pick up an older customer and they have a younger child with them. It seems to be a grandparent/grandchild type relationship, which I shortly find out it is. The grandchild mentions how cool my car is and that it’s really neat where the handles are located. (This is the 2nd time tonight that it’s mentioned.)

They say that another uber driver canceled on them and that they’ve been waiting for someone to answer for about thirty minutes. I’ve refused to accept rides, which automatically send someone to the next driver, but I’ve never downright canceled on someone yet. It’s a very rude concept to me. They’re going less than a mile to nearby hotel so I find it odd that they just didn’t walk. “Are you guys just visiting the area?” I ask, thinking maybe they don’t know the area well enough to walk back.

They’re visiting the child’s mother, who just had a little baby girl. I ask the grandchild how they liked being an older sibling. They don’t respond. I realize the idea that they’re now a sibling probably hasn’t sunk in. “The man is asking you a question” the grandparent snaps. They finally answer, “Oh, it’s good.” By the time we finish this little exchange we are already at their destination. The grandparent stresses how much they appreciate the ride and not making them wait.

They don’t appreciate it enough to give me a tip. I earn 3.75

----------

Trip 4: Awkward Cupcakes

I turn around in the hotel parking lot and am pinged for a ride back at the grocery store parking lot. I’ve found my sweet spot for sure. I see my fare off to the right in front of the grocery store. I pull up and they step up to the door. They take a bit to get into the car and I realize their hands are full. “Of course they are you idiot, they just got done shopping at a grocery store.” I quickly grab the door and apologize for not realizing they had their hands full. They have Halloween themed cupcakes in their lap, nothing else.

All of the communication is forced, but in a completely different way than any other ride. It’s like they want to talk, but need to be prompted. I bring up a subject such as weather and they go off on a little bit of a tangent about the weather. When they’ve flushed out all of their ideas they are awkwardly quiet again. I notice they have a random face twitch the entire ride.

It’s an extremely short ride that lasts a couple of minutes too long because of having to follow a student driver for half of the trip. This time I get off of my butt and help them with their stuff.

I get tipped $3.00. I make $6.75

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-28 02:39:14

Trip 5: Blah, Blah, Blah

I head back in the direction that I just came from and get pinged again. This passenger is up on the campus. I drive up and park my car. They’re dot is way off of any road so I decide to send them a text message. They respond that they live a little off of the road and they’ll have to walk to me.

I can tell they’re coming because I can hear them from quite a distance away. Four people pile into my car, one up front, with the other three squeezing into the back seat. We have really quick introductions and their focus turns on each other. They are so loud that I feel like my head could explode at any moment. It’s overwhelming in every sense of the word. The passenger sitting in the front talks to me the entire time and is extremely friendly, but I’m very hard of hearing. I feel bad because I have to ask what they’ve said several times during the trip. I seriously didn’t know people so close to each other could scream so loudly.

The volume of the conversation finally goes down a notch, but they literally never stop talking. There’s always four people talking at once. One of them is taking turns in the conversation with me, but the other three all talk at the same time so I’m not sure who’s listening. The front seat passenger finally here’s a subject from the back that they’re interested enough in to stop pretending like that want to talk to me. Something about all the famous people they know and how they’ll get them into the concert. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

I drop them off at the club. They’re nervous they’re too late to get in. I’m nervous that if they are I’ll get stuck taking them back up to campus.

They don’t tip. I earn $7.78

----------

Trip 6: Drink it away

I head back downtown and get pinged for the grocery store again. I’m picking up someone around my age. They have a single bottle of liquor and nothing else. We introduce each other and for about 30 seconds there’s silence. I tell them that I just dropped off four of the loudest people that I’ve ever heard. He says he thinks he saw them just go into the grocery store and that they were still all talking to each other. I know this isn’t the same people that I just dropped off a mile away, but I just agree with them.

They are short with all of their conversation and I quickly find out they're just not up to talking. When I mention that the GPS is being a bit jumpy they responds with a very sarcastic tone, “Well nothing is a perfect science.”

I get it, shitty day. Go home and drink your liquor. That’ll make things better tomorrow.

No tip, I earn $3.75

----------

Trip 7: Awkward Chinese

I decide to go home, but don’t turn the app off soon enough. Another pick up for the same donut shop. I get there and quickly see that they have their hands full. Not losing my opportunity this time I jump out and open the door for them. They have several containers full of Chinese food.

This trip is just as awkward as the customer with the Halloween cupcakes, but for the opposite reason. This person is talking my error off about things, but keeps repeating themselves. They ask me about how I liked the area that I lived in at least three times during a five minute trip. I answer the same exact way each time.

I wonder if they’re forced conversation is happening because I’m not talking enough, but realize there’s no breaks in between their words. I couldn’t bring up an interesting or even slightly different topic if I tried. They’re nice enough, but I’m happy when they’re out of my car and I get to turn my app off for the night. I’m lucky that my last drop off is a one minute drive back to my apartment.

No tip, I earn $6.52

Day 8

Trip 1: What are the chances?

I drive down to my usual downtown area and this time I don't get a ping at my lucky red light spot. I park in a parking space about dead middle downtown. Nothing's going on, but I've learned to be patient. Driving around for a fare can be a waste of gas so I've learned to keep the car off and sit still where the people are. I open up one of the games I've been playing on my phone and start chatting with some of the players in my alliance. One of the players only lives a few hours away and I make a joke about coming to pick him up for a ride. He messages back that he'll request a ride and expect me to be there soon. My phone immediately pings throwing me off a little bit.

The ping is followed immediately with a text message of where they're standing. This is awesome because the map can place people in weird places and it's not uncommon to be looking for someone on the right side of the road when they're really on the right. I'm there in a few minutes, taking a couple of roads that I've never been on before that are actually really convenient.

I pick my customer up and decide that tonight I'm going to go out of my way to have conversations with people. Not only so I can have more subject to talk about in my writing, but also because I'm socially awkward as hell and there's no better way to practice then with people who I may never even meet again. I may even get more tips, who knows?

"So what are your plans for tonight?", I say out loud. This sparks conversation for the entire trip. "Hm, is it really that easy?", I think to myself. We talk about good beer and local bars. They've been to this area before, but not for awhile. They had a few weeks of vacation to use and decided to spend it here. They tell me where they are from, the same exact location where my friend is from in the game. What are the chances?

We talk about great spots in our state to visit and have vacations. There's enough to do that you never really have to leave. I mention that the last vacation that I've been on was my week stay in Cuba, horseback riding and smoking cigars.

I note to myself that they're alone and wonder if there's a partner waiting for them when they get home, but doubt that they would vacation without them. They're heading to a local club because one of their favorite bands are playing. I've never heard of the club or the band, but I make it sounds like I have.

I don't get a tip. I earn $4.64

----------

Trip 2: Donut Snob

This time I head back to the usual grocery store parking lot. I've decided I get rides quicker from this lot and have a higher chance of taking students back to the campus area, which is nice because if I decide to go home it puts me back in the location where I live. I never make it to the parking lot this time....

I get a ping at my lucky red light, going the other direction this time. Looks like the customer is at the same donut shop that I picked multiple people up at the last time I drove. Or is it? I zoom in to the map and they actually show up on the right side of the road this time. I second guess which side it really is, but since the dot shows them in a hotel parking lot I decide to go with the map. The maps wrong.

I'm on the opposite side of the street and I see my fare in the parking lot of the donut shop. I wave to them so they know it's me. They see me, but they're oblivious. It takes me about a minute to cross the street because of traffic and when I do they walk into the middle of the road instead of letting me pick them up off to the side or in the parking lot. It's frustrating, but I'm lucky nobody turned into the road behind me.

Having a conversation with this couple is difficult. One is a professor and the other is a "friend" who is visiting. They're having a night out that I assume is going to end with a night in somewhere. They think they're better than me and it's hard to talk to them so I only converse when there is a good opportunity. I ask if the one is a student because they are talking about the campus, but they laugh at the back of my head. "Yeah, me a student." The one tells me that they are a professor. I tell them that I also work for the university and that I'm the one that decides whether or not the room and office they use get's scheduled for maintenance this year. They are nicer the rest of the trip.

They don't know where they want to go, just down town. Since they don't know and refuse to tell me where to drop them off I decide to drop them off a little sooner than I would most people. They can walk an extra block.

I don't get a tip, I earn $4.38

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-28 02:48:30

Trip 3: Pumpkin Carving

Not too far into my next trip I get pinged for a residential area next to the beach. I make the mistake of painting a mental picture of what sex they are by their name only to be corrected when they show up to the car. Two people get into my back seat after they shortly discuss if it's rude if they both sit in the back. I rather everyone sit in the back personally.

Trying to redeem myself from my last interaction I start in with, "So what are the plans for tonight?" They answer with, "going pumpkin carving." *chirp chirp*

"So is the night as simple as pumpkin carving or is it a special event?", I ask. Now they're responsive. Woo, hoo! I started a conversation successfully twice tonight! They tell me that this is their one night a week where they get together with a bottle of wine and hang out. I think about telling them about how in college we use to have "Guys Night" by watching the manliest B movie possible with junk food and beer, but slowly people starting inviting girls over and suddenly we simply stopped doing it. I decide they could probably care less so I keep internal.

I tell them instead that I have a costume party to go to this weekend and have no clue what I should go as. They tell me that I should go as sexy office equipment. "You'd make a sexy paperclip or post-it note.", one of them tells me. I agree, I'd make a damn sexy post-it.

They said they once had a theme to go to a party as white trash. They decided to go in a garbage bag full of cheap beer cans, blackened teeth, and the most rednecky hat they could find. I tell them that I'm from a small town in the middle of the woods and they've just described the general population. I have them laughing really hard now.

They give me the last few directions because the app doesn't think the roads to their apartment exists. I pull into their driveway and tell them to have fun carving pumpkins. They tell me to get started on my costume.

Damn, no tip. I earn $3.81

Trip 4: Friends?

This time I actually make it back to the parking lot. I'm looking for one or two more rides tonight before I head home. I'm hoping for two quick ones. I park the car and open up my game to let my friend know that as soon as he mentioned requesting a ride that I got one from someone who was from the same exact town he's from. That's all the time that I had, my phone is telling me I have a new ride.... 10 feet from my car....

I look over and there is a younger individual with who I assume is a grandparent. The younger one is looking at their phone. They have a cart full of groceries so I step out and ask if their name. They look extremely confused that I'm there to pick them up in less than 10 seconds. I let them know that it was just extremely convenient timing.

I pop the trunk and help them load their groceries. I figure the grandparent figure is probably cold so I ask if they want me to put the windows up. The younger individual, in Spanish, asks their now confirmed grandparent if they'd like the window up and they respond yes. I put the window up and they're impressed that I understood what was being said. I don't speak Spanish, but I knew the word they used for their grandparent and knew the word for yes. The rest was simple enough to figure out.

The younger person and I click immediately. They are a student on campus and I mention that I work and live on campus. They are extremely interested and we both chat each other’s ears off like we've been good buddies for a while. They also work as a student worker on campus and are very professional and proud about it. Their position requires them to do the hiring and because my last job was an assistant store manager in a retailer we have a ton in common. We talk business so much that we ran out of time on the ride to finish our conversation. I stop the car, popped the trunk, and help them get their groceries out.

I'm less than a mile from my house and decide to call it a night.

No tip. I earn $6.42

----------

I took a night off of driving. I've been tired and also wanted to flush out some of these writing before I started to get really behind. (I still have another existing day to write and won't be able to go to sleep tonight until I at least take notes on them.

I now only have Saturday and Sunday to make 20 trips to get a $100 bonus. I'll drive all day tomorrow if I have to. That $100 could help me out tremendously... :( That being said, this is the first time in 4 months where I've had a positive cash flow. Instead of losing money I've gained $10 to my name. I know that sounds like very little, which it is, but before today I was losing somewhere around $200 a month. When bills are paid down I'll get some breathing room.

I ran into the individual in the last story again, but I had too much social anxiety to say hi to them and whatnot. Oh well, I know where they live now and I walk by every day on my way to work so there may be chances in the future.

I stopped doing the daily total at the end of the posts because I figured they didn't really add anything to the story and they just took up more time. Something I don't have enough of. (Or enough organizational skills to use the time that I do have properly)

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-28 10:30:07

At 10/28/17 02:48 AM, Fro wrote: I stopped doing the daily total at the end of the posts because I figured they didn't really add anything to the story and they just took up more time. Something I don't have enough of. (Or enough organizational skills to use the time that I do have properly)

I liked knowing if you came out ahead or behind. But I get how all those totals are time consuming!

I had no idea how uber worked. I've enjoyed reading this!

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

At 10/28/17 02:48 AM, Fro wrote: Instead of losing money I've gained $10 to my name...

With the accountant I'd have thought them finances would've been better! :O Good to hear it's shaping up! And another good batch of stories. That car accident story seemed to only enforce the notion that your car was pretty much invincible, might've lent the passengers even more confidence. XD Some typo things: passenger finally here’s a subject, stop pretending like that want to talk to me, The maps wrong, people starting inviting, ask if their name, popped the trunk.

As for what a falafel is, if you haven't yet researched the topic let me enlighten you: it's a deep-fried ball usually made from ground chickpeas, served in plural with cold sauce (as they're usually a bit dry) and potentially vegetables/rice/stuff. Middle East origins. Worth trying if you happen to like vegetarian food!

BBS Signature

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-30 00:22:04

Day 9

----------

Trip 1 for real:

I get past my lucky red light and figure I should park downtown until I get my first ride. I get pinged shortly after the red light and have to reroute as I literally just passed the customer on the side of the road.

It takes another minute or two to turn around and they seem frustrated with the wait time. Three of them pile into my car, smelling strongly of weed. They’re heading up to the campus, one of my favorite rides to do because I’m so familiar with the area, it’s a quick easy trip, and it usually runs me into a good area for rides going back down to town.

They’re talking about subjects that I would be interested in, but I’m kind of burned out from driving so much. I just listen and I only say anything to them if they ask me a question. I’m sure I came off as rude, but I kind of had the “I don’t give a shit” attitude going on.

I drop them off really feel like just calling it a night right then and there, but I continue on.

I don’t get tipped, I earn $6.94

----------

Trip 2: Tapped Out

I’m not lucky enough to get a student going back down town, but I decide to park in the grocery store parking lot this time. I park just long enough to grab a scrap piece of paper and jot down a note about what my first ride was like. I get pinged for a pickup in a residential area very close to my current location.

I pick up two people from an apartment who are headed to a local pub. In this pub you pay for a glass and get to go to the wall of close to 50 beer taps and pour your own beer. Leave it up to a business to find a way for a customer to pay more and do all of the work themselves. They two joke about this in my car and they would prefer not to go here, but they’re meeting some friends. They mention that there is a car wash nearby literally called, “Do it yourself.” It’s cheaper than any automatic car wash, because obviously you’re doing it yourself. This pub actually costs more though.

I’m a beer guy so we talk about the subject for the little, but not even this gives me the energy to hold a conversation for very long. I can’t wait to get them out of the car so I can get home and get some rest.

I don’t get tipped. I earn $4.42

----------

Trip 3: Karaoke night

I should have tapped out after the last trip. I look down at my app and notice a message that says “long trip”. I never noticed this before, but realize it’s always been there. It’s too late as I my finger was already on its way to hit accept by reflex. Shit… now I’m heading somewhere far when I just wanted to go home and be done. It’s too late now, I’m committed. I could cancel on them, but I can’t do it in good faith.

I get there and pick up two individuals who are probably about ten years older than I am. They thank me so much for picking up a long ride at this time at night. They tell me that they were literally just in an Uber driver’s car who kicked them out because they couldn’t make a trip that far and they explain that this is actually the 2nd time this person has done this to them. On the outside I’m expressing how terrible that is, but on the inside I’m telling myself, “Hahahahahaha, get the fuck out of my car, hahahahahaha.”

I’m taking them to a Karaoke place about 40 minutes away. This wouldn’t be so bad, but the chances that I get someone who wants to come back the other way this time at night is slim to none. Also, the trip consists of driving over a windy mountain range of death. They tell me that they’re going there because the person that runs the Karaoke place in town is sick this night. Why couldn’t of it been last week?

I’m told to drive off course so we can pick up one of their friends. No problem, it’s already going to be a long trip so I might as well milk it for every dollar I can get. I pick up their friend and off we go. They’re actually really refreshing and fun to have in the car. Their cheerful mood is calming my nerves and they make me laugh the entire trip. I hope I’m still this childish when I’m older. I know I will be.

Their conversations involve a lot of funny personal stories and even one that involves a woman teacher hitting on one of the individuals when they were in high school. They hated it because the teacher was in their 70’s at the time and the flirting use to involve them leaning over the person’s desk so their breasts were touching them. One of the riders mocks the person by using an old lady voice threatening to touch them with their “saggy titties.”

We finally get there and they help me navigate a little because they know the area better and one of them also drives Uber. They promise they will tip me because they understand how much it sucks to make this drive so late at night. I’m thankful.

I’m luckily right next to a gas station and basically fill up my car with 90% of what I made on this trip, but I was basically running on a quarter tank of gas anyway.

They tip me $5. I earn $37.74

----------

Trip 4: A good ending

I want to just make the trip home, but I know if I make one more this week I get a $60 bonus. I set my app to only accept trips going towards my address. My phone is completely quiet until I’m about half way home. I get pinged off into a small town that I’ve never been too before. I never really figure out the name of the town because it’s so small and I see no signs. I pick an individual up and they tell me that someone is still inside. I turn the car off to save on gas and we wait for a few minutes. They ask me if I have a mint and I instantly am reminded of the article that says I should have gum or mints in the car for customers. I thought this was crazy. I’ve never asked someone for a mint in my life.

I must be in a better mood though because I turn into customer service mode. “I’m so sorry I didn’t bring any with me tonight.” It sounds like I’m truly sorry. They tell me it’s no big deal. I hope their breathe is alright though because I’m sure they have plans for after their date.

The other person gets into the car and they tell me they’re going to a dive bar that they’ve never been to before. It’s a very short trip and I’m really thankful. One of them makes the comment on how they could have probably just drove themselves or walked, but I tell them jokingly, “Well I’m sure happy that you didn’t.” It’s not really a funny joke, but they both laugh pretty hard. Maybe they’re a little drunk already.

I drop them off, turn off my app after it makes a “cha ching” sound effect notifying me that I made my weekly $60 bonus. Thank goodness. There’s a really good $100 bonus coming up if I can give 20 rides in three days, but I’ve been so burned out that I decide sometimes money just isn’t worth happiness.

No tip, but I earn $3.94 and a $60 bonus.

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-30 00:38:57

This week's earnings: $289.91
Last week's earnings: $270.18
Lifetime earnings: $560.09

I didn't make my $100 goal this weekend. I was simply burnt out and need to rest. In fact, I slept until 1:00 P.M. today. It was amazing and I feel refreshed for a new week. I'm taking Tuesday off to go trick or treating with my daughter and my goal is to do 20 trips during Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. It's going to be hard doing 7 trips a day, but I should probably make up a little for the $100 I missed out on.

----------

At 10/28/17 10:30 AM, SevenSeize wrote:
At 10/28/17 02:48 AM, Fro wrote: I stopped doing the daily total at the end of the posts because I figured they didn't really add anything to the story and they just took up more time. Something I don't have enough of. (Or enough organizational skills to use the time that I do have properly)
I liked knowing if you came out ahead or behind. But I get how all those totals are time consuming!

Just for you I'll update weekly. I'm not going to get too much into the details, but you can basically take 20% of whatever detail I give you to expense and another 20% of what I earn for taxes. They don't take the taxes out so I'm being proactive by putting that into an account by itself just to be safe during tax season.

So the totals that I give above are what uber paid me. You do the math to know how much I truly get to take home. :P

I guess it's not terrible for two weeks worth of work. It's going to help me catch up, but I think I would rather a part time weekend job so I could avoid all of the miles I'm driving.

I had no idea how uber worked. I've enjoyed reading this!

Theirs still a ton I don't know. Someday I'll end up dropping someone off in an area that accepts "uber eats" and I'll have to go to a restaurant or pizza shop and pick up their food. I've heard it pays basically the same as dropping someone off and there have even been times when the customer cancels for some odd reason, but the money already goes through to the driver AND they have a large pizza. That would be awesome.

At 10/29/17 05:45 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 10/28/17 02:48 AM, Fro wrote: Instead of losing money I've gained $10 to my name...
With the accountant I'd have thought them finances would've been better! :O Good to hear it's shaping up!

Trust me, it is amazing that I came from losing about $500 a month down to about $300 a month and finally to earning a positive income. Moving across country was so expensive and the cost of living is triple what it was were I came from. I could literally stop driving today if I could come up with about $5,000. Anyone have an extra $5,000 laying around?

That's the remaining debt that I'm paying off from moving expenses. It was several thousand more than that not too long ago. As soon as the debt is paid off I'm retiring from driving. It's going to be quite a while till I get to do that though.

And another good batch of stories. That car accident story seemed to only enforce the notion that your car was pretty much invincible, might've lent the passengers even more confidence. XD

More accident stories to come shortly.... dun dun dun!

Some typo things: passenger finally here’s a subject, stop pretending like that want to talk to me, The maps wrong, people starting inviting, ask if their name, popped the trunk.

Thanks, noted!

As for what a falafel is, if you haven't yet researched the topic let me enlighten you: it's a deep-fried ball usually made from ground chickpeas, served in plural with cold sauce (as they're usually a bit dry) and potentially vegetables/rice/stuff. Middle East origins. Worth trying if you happen to like vegetarian food!

It's probably worth trying, but I don't get out to eat very often so when we do we like to go for sushi. Anything that we end up liking less than that and it may be a waste of our bimonthly date time. :P

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-30 05:17:44

At 10/30/17 12:38 AM, Fro wrote: Uber Eats and Tax %

Good knowing! Uber Eats sounds like a fun spin-off thing.

Anyone have an extra $5,000 laying around?

Well HMM savings, but you know...

That's the remaining debt that I'm paying off from moving expenses. It was several thousand more than that not too long ago. As soon as the debt is paid off I'm retiring from driving. It's going to be quite a while till I get to do that though.

I thought in the first few posts the Ubering project was mainly for experiment/fun/self-improvement/practice, but the further it goes the more the honorable mission behind it is revealed; with great ardor and perseverence! With all these bonuses it seems attainable within all too long though!

These stories are getting me inspired though, if Uber becomes a big thing here in Sweden it seems like a fun extra. Just driving around. Meeting weird people. I love driving.

More accident stories to come shortly.... dun dun dun!

Assumable not all too devastating ones either since you're still writing! *hyped*

It's probably worth trying, but I don't get out to eat very often so when we do we like to go for sushi. Anything that we end up liking less than that and it may be a waste of our bimonthly date time. :P

Also possible to make at home. ;) But yeah, I can't say it's much competition against sushi! Best spend that hard-earned money on that which is 100% certainly savorable.

Another few interesting trips btw, though you do sound pretty tired at this point! Typo stuff: as I my finger, use to involve, been too before, hope their breathe...

BBS Signature

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-11-02 10:18:02

I just wanted to let anyone who may still be reading know that I am still writing, but I've been sickly. By the time I go to my actual job, do household chores, and drive for the night I'm too exhausted to do anything other than take notes. I've resorted to writing on my lunch break at work, but they're still coming.

I think a good goal is to stop writing after my first 100 trips unless I don't think I have enough content to edit it into a book.

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-11-03 00:53:33

At 11/2/17 10:18 AM, Fro wrote: I just wanted to let anyone who may still be reading know that I am still writing, but I've been sickly. By the time I go to my actual job, do household chores, and drive for the night I'm too exhausted to do anything other than take notes. I've resorted to writing on my lunch break at work, but they're still coming.

I think a good goal is to stop writing after my first 100 trips unless I don't think I have enough content to edit it into a book.

Hope you'll recover soon) I'm also recovering from a sickness right now, and it SUCKS to go a job when your throat burns and head is almost cracking.

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-11-03 18:16:08

Day 10

----------

Trip 1: Signs of things to come

I start early in the morning trying to get ahead on my trips for the day. I have the task of completing 20 trips in the next two days to get a $100 bonus. I don't make it very far from my house before I'm pinged for a ride. I'm hoping this is a good sign for things to come. I'm directed to drive on a back road on the campus and am a little nervous that the GPS has me going to the wrong spot as it doesn't realize a lot of the campus roads exist. To my surprise, this road leads to a little area on campus that I've never been to before. It seems to be a small apartment area that is really isolated from the rest of the campus. Here I see an Uber car parked in a spot and am hoping that I'm not too late. The car is empty so I must have beaten someone to the punch.

A student gets in and I ask where they are headed. They're going to a popular tourist part of the beach. This is the only conversation that we have until we get near the location. I'm just honestly too tired to try and force a conversation with someone this early in the morning. I witness a lot of cars pulling out in front of people and even cutting me off. The people in this area are extremely bad drivers. I know each area has a population of bad drivers, but I've never seen such a high percentage. We get about a block away and I ask if they want me to drop them off as close to the beach as possible. They state that right where we are is fine. I'm a little confused because it's about a five minute walk, but it's a beautiful day and the walk is through a nice wooded park area. I'm hoping this is the reason they want to get out of my car early and not because I was so anti social.

No tip, I earn $5.72

----------

Trip 2: Cook Off

I'm pinged before I really make it more than a few blocks. I'm excited, today should be a good day if I'm getting two rides and haven't been on the road for 15 minutes yet. I pick up someone from a residential area next to the beach. They have a stack of wood in their hands so I get out of the car and open the trunk for them. We get in the car and I ask, "What's the wood for?" They tell me that there is a Chili Cook Off going on at the boardwalk by the beach. This sounds awesome. I'd love to take the day off and attend a Cook Off, but sadly nobody is paying me to eat. This statement doesn't really tell me what the wood is for, but they seemed to not want to talk so I let it be. No more than a block away I'm making a routine stop at a stop sign and look to my left. BAM!

There's glass flying through the air and what was left over from the hood of a car slamming onto the pavement. "What the hell was that?!", my passenger asks me. They can't see the car accident from the back seat because of some trees blocking their view. Two cars have just collided within 50 feet of my car and are slowly regaining control of their swerving vehicles. We take a look to make sure everyone is alright. They seem to be good as they get out to inspect the damage. There's a lot of it. We continue on our trip and even with the excitement we can't spark up any conversation. We get to the beach and I help them get their stuff out of the trunk. I forget to tell them good luck.

No tip, I earn $3.78

----------

Trip 3: Shifty

I'm pinged again already before I even have time to put my car into drive. The rider is so close that it instantly tells them I'm within a minute distance. What the app doesn't know is there's a detour that is going to make this minute trip more like a 7 minute trip. I'm forced to circle back the way I cam from even though it's not the most convenient way to go. I'm passing what should be a car accident scene, but everyone is gone already. I only see a pile of glass in the middle of the road. There's no way that they could have followed the proper procedures required when there's a car accident of this nature and gotten away so quickly.

I show up and apologize for being so late. They make sure to tell me it's all cool. I looks surprised that the map has me going about two or three blocks away. It literally took me longer to get to this customer than it would have for them to walk to their destination. It seems fishy to me that I'm driving so close to our current location, but I figure that they are probably new to the area so they didn't know the layout too well. I ask them where they are headed and they tell me the name of a local breakfast place. They're going to the right spot. The trip lasts for about two minutes. The rider is slightly confused that it went so quickly so we double checked with each other that they were in the right spot. They were, I drive off and get pinged again. I think to myself that nobody must drive my area in the morning.

No tip, I earn $3.75

----------

Trip 4: The Uber has Landed

I notice that the trip says long trip, but I don't mind today because it's so early in the morning. The quick trips have been nice, but the long trips really add a lot of money to the day. I end up in a residential area not too far from my current location. I pull into my passengers drive way and give them a couple of minutes. They get in my back seat and let me know that we are heading to the airport. This brings up a few thoughts. I've know how terrible it is to drive in an airport area and this makes me a little nervous that it'll be packed. I also know that there are going to be a bunch of people requesting rides away from the airport, but I'm not too confident driving in a town that I'm not from. I decide that when I get there I'll set my destination back home so I don't have to drive around a city that I'm unsure of. I open my glove box and toss the paper on my dashboard that says I'm allowed to temporarily park at an airport for passenger pick up and drop off.

It's a very quiet ride, but we do talk about things every now and then. I offer them an aux cord just in case they want to listen to their own music over the radio, but they turn my offer down. We finally talk about some of the reasons that we moved out here. We were from an area that wasn't good for a family situation. Without going into much detail, the people where we came from thought poorly of African Americans, which made life hard for us as my spouse is African American and obviously our daughter is too. We talk a lot about race and other subjects. We end up having a lot in common and it's a pretty enjoyable conversation.

Once we get to the airport it's not as busy as I was thinking it may be, but it doesn't stop my stomach from twisting in knots. I don't mind flying at all, but I'm a slightly anxious person. My body was literally getting prepared to get on an airplane and was getting butterflies even though I knew I wasn't going to fly. I pull off in an open spot right next to their terminal. It's at this time I notice they have two things of luggage that I never noticed from when I picked them up. I run around and open the door for them to try and make up for not doing it at the beginning of the trip. I turn my app off and relocate myself away from the airport so I can give my spouse an update on my location and regroup.

No tip, I earn $38.90

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-11-03 18:19:28

Trip 5: Who's this?

After regrouping I turn my app on and set my location towards home. I don't make it about a quarter of the way there when I get pinged for a ride. I take the exit and quickly realize this is the same exit that I took when I picked up the Netflix employees. It's a beautiful area and seems to have a lot of wealthy individuals. Like usual, the downtown area is packed full of cars and I'm stuck at a red light. I decide it's a good idea to text the person that I'm on my way, but there is a bit of traffic so it may take a couple of minutes.

Actual Text Messages
Me: Hi, there's a little bit of traffic, but I'll be there to pick you up soon.
Rider: Who is this??
Me: Your driver :)
Rider: Oh yeah, lol

I'm expecting a teenager after that interaction, but too my surprise it's a middle aged adult. They immediately ask me if it's alright if they finish their toast in my car. I tell them that it's no big deal, but they still explain to me that it isn't stinky or messy. We are basically heading back to the same exact town that we just came from. Uber's set a destination choice fails me again!

They are extremely friendly and we talk most of the way. In the middle of a conversation they say something odd that I don't understand. They apologize and told me that they're sending a message to someone on their watch. "Rich people.", I think to myself. I try to stay quiet the rest of the trip because I'm not sure if they're talking to me or talking to their watch, but it's obvious that they are trying to do both because they keep accidentally sending the wrong message to their watch person. After that conversation is over they tell me that they're going to a birthday part for a 4 year old. I ask if this is their grandchild and instantly realize that they probably aren't at that age yet. It's not their grandchild, but they don't seem offended by the age comment.

We get to our location, they finish their toast, and I decide that since I'm here already I'll just drive around this city for at least one trip.

I get a $4.00 tip, earning $13.36

----------

Trip 6: Out of my world

I parked my car and wait for my next ride. It's only about five minutes before I'm pinged for someone about ten minutes away. A couple of minutes later a car backs out of a driveway into the road at the last minute. Luckily the horn is enough to get them to slam on their breaks. If I wouldn't have used it they would have totaled my car. I'm wanting to get back to where I'm use to driving so I can be more focused on the road. I pick them up and my basic introduction is answered with nothing except "Yes." I believe we have someone who doesn't really speak English well so as you can imagine this trip is quite boring. The worst thing is it's a 20 minute drive in the opposite direction. We have complete silence other than the radio playing in the background.

I begin seeing NASA signs and before I know it I'm pulling into a parking lot outside of a large NASA building. I ask them if anywhere is alright and to my surprise they speak. Short and to the point. "My friend there." I drop them off by another person and they walk in the direction of the building together. I really want to drive back in the right direction before I go farther in the opposite direction. I set my destination for my home address and get back on the road.

No tip this time, I earn $16.40

----------

Trip 7: Lunch Time

I make it back to the town where I picked up the toast eater at and get pinged for another ride. This time I pick up an individual around my age from a nice residential area. They are going to the downtown area for lunch. Right on queue my stomach gurgles and I realize for the first time how hungry I am. I've been driving most of the day and didn't think about what to do for lunch. We end up driving by a really nice golf area. I can't catch the name of the sign, but it sounds like it should be a place that I've heard of before. There are a ton of woman way to young being flirted on by men way too old and with way too much money. It's an entertaining thing to watch as we drive by and I kind of chuckle to myself.

We have the normal casual conversation. Mostly about the area that we live in, the weather, but we don't get into anything very interesting. They're really nice and they're probably someone I would be friends with in real life. There's a ton of people all over the street so what was actually a really short trip took quite a bit of time. While stopped at a stop sign I get pinged for another ride about 15 minutes away. I can't see in what direction yet, but I'm trusting the app to have it be on my way home. I decide to text my next fare that I'll be there soon, just dropping off my current rider. I figure they're less likely to cancel on me if there has been some sort of interaction. They tell me to take my time and give me some basic driving instructions. I drop my current fare off at a nice looking restaurant and get on my way.

I don’t get a tip. I earn $6.14

----------

Trip 8: Lost...

I'm really happy because this pickup is located fifteen minutes in the right direction for me to get home for lunch. When I get closer I take a look at their directions. Their direction tells me to take the road before the one that the GPS tells me to. I go with their directions because I figure they know better than I. Also, they live in the middle of the woods and chances are they live on a road that the GPS doesn't know even exists. Sadly, their turn is about 10 feet on the other side of a blind corner, on a road that I'm going 65 on. I miss it and am forced to take the road the GPS suggests. I follow it up to where it says the customer is located. It's an extremely steep one lane road. I'm almost hit by a car coming around the corner in the other direction, but luckily we both slam on our brakes and slowly make it by each other. When I get to "their location" there is literally nothing but trees in every single direction.

I end up texting them, apologizing, that I missed the turn and was very confused and lost. They give me some basic instructions on the text and I think it's simple enough to get turned around, but it's a horrible mess. Twenty minutes later I'm still trying to escape the maze of back roads. The GPS is no help because it thinks I'm driving through trees and it just keeps telling me to get back on a road. I do eventually make it back to the highway that I pulled off of and I ask for more clarification. I have to back track about 10 minutes, wait until I can do a legal U-turn on a road that's so busy that it takes me another 10 minutes to turn. I'm about to break down and just want to cancel the ride, but I assume I'm the closest person to this rider in the next 20 minutes. They've been waiting this long and I didn't have the heart to cancel on them now.

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-11-03 18:20:41

Trip 8 continued...

I get back to the correct turn and just hope that I'm on the right road this time. It's a steep dirt road that leads to a bunch of trees. Back in the woods there's an RV and I see a person walking towards my car. Thank god it was them or I would have just turned everything off and went home for the rest of the day. I apologize multiple times and they aren't even the least bit upset. I know I would be a little bothered if it took someone an extra thirty minutes to show up, but they honestly couldn't care for a second. If they did care, they did an awesome job at not showing it. We have about a 20 minute ride and I'm lucky enough that they want to end up in the town that I live in.

They are from out of the country on holiday and wanted to spend the day shopping and going to the beach. We talk a lot about the comparisons between their country and mine, but other than that it's a pretty quiet ride. When we get into town I drop them off at a local coffee shop and thank them for their patience with me. Since the app has my destination set for my house I decide to keep it on just in case anyone is going that direction. I make it home pretty quickly without any pings, stuff my face with lunch, take a shower, and lay down for about 30 minutes.

They tip me $3.00. I earn $22.13

----------

Trip 9: Son of a Beach

I get back on the road and park in my favorite spot at the grocery store. I turn the car off, immediately get pinged, turn the car back on and head to a spot on the beach. It's a very close drive, but it's at a tourist spot that has no parking available so I'm hoping they're ready when I get there and there isn't a lot of traffic behind me. I actually find a spot on the side of the road where cars should be able to get by me so I park. Immediately after parking my phone rings. They ask me to cancel the ride because they no longer need one. This counts against my cancellation rate and I rather them cancel the ride, but I get pinged for another ride while on the phone and simply don't care that much.

I tell them no problem, cancel their ride under "user requested cancellation."

I earn a nice view of the beach.

----------

Trip 9 for real: Kids to the Beach

I end up at a hotel that I once dropped off a grandparent and grandchild with who were visiting because of a newborn in the family. I pull over to the front entrance and am a little nervous because there is a family of four, but two of them are too young to ride in a vehicle without a car seat. I'm too nervous to say anything so I let one of the parents and two of the children in the back seat while the other one sits up front with me. Once we start driving the kids kind of go to the back of my mind. They remind me of my daughter and the family is really nice. I know I could get in trouble, but only if I get caught so we keep to the back roads and avoid all of the traffic. They're from out of the area and aren't sure where they really want to go or eat, so I recommend they get dropped off by the board walk. There's a lot of seafood places to eat and the whole area is very kid friendly. When they ask for a specific restaurant I kind of tell them that I'm not really impressed with any of them. They seem a little upset, but I'm an expensive eater so I think a lot of places are mediocre in comparison to what they could be. (Not expensive as in rich guys talking down the $300 a dish sushi they had, but nonetheless)

The parent who is sitting up front comments on the Squirtle that I have attached to my dash board. He asks me if people still play that game on their phones and I admit to him that I haven't played it in over a year. I do say that I play the old Gameboy games every now and then, but in reality it's been about a year since I've played those as well. I say that my daughter loves to watch Pokemon with me and I get to use that as a valid excuse to keep watching them. My joke works, they laugh.

We get to the beach and I pull off as soon as possible because I know a lot of police will probably be circling the area. They get out and before I make it more than a couple of feet back onto the road I'm getting pinged for another ride.

No tip, I earn $5.44

----------

Trip 10: A Pro?

My new rider is getting picked up at a really nice hotel. Something that would take me a couple of weeks of driving to be able to afford one night in. I send a text that I'm parked out front and they can take their time. I keep thinking that their name looks really familiar and am mentally going through all of the passengers that I've given a ride to up to date. About five minutes have passed and I can't put a face to the name. Out walks the same exact person that I had given a ride to the breakfast place this very morning. Our eyes meet, they grin as to say, "Hey, I know you!" We have some casual conversation and I ask him a little bit about himself. This time I notice that he has a basketball hoody on and his face seems a little familiar. I ask them if they're on vacation and they tell me they're just passing through, but needed a day off.

They are heading about the same exact amount of distance during this trip. About three blocks, back to the same area that I had picked them up this morning. They are on speaker phone with someone and I have to hold back my laughter.

Rider: I can't make it today, I stopped in "this town."
Phone: In Mexico?!
Rider: Nah, you're thinking of "other town."

The other town is not in Mexico either.

I drop them off and look up the name and basketball team. I just gave a ride to a professional basketball player and had no clue.

No tip from the guy who can afford a two minute drive, I earn $3.96

----------

Trip 11: Taking a Dive

I pick up a couple from a hotel next to the beach. They ask me if I'm from the area and I have to tell them that I'm pretty new. They wanted to ask me for a recommendation for any dive bar. Nothing fancy at all, just nice people to talk to and cheap alcohol. I sadly don't know of any, but it brings up the conversation of where I'm original from. I tell them that on every block there is a church with a bar in the back and a gun shop in the basement. They say it sound exactly like the town that they were originally from. Their form of communication is blunt and to the point. I have to remind myself this is how I talk normally and it's very common from the areas that all of us are origi

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-11-05 08:16:31

A rich person finally tips! :D And some pretty intense/entertaining stories in this batch - they're getting longer and longer too, accidents, watch convo, the pro... whatever happened to Trip 11 though...?!

Some typo stuff: way I cam, I looks surprised, I've know how terrible, too my surprise, apologize and told, birthday part, parked my car and wait, where I'm use to, way to young, I'm original from, it sound exactly...

At 11/2/17 10:18 AM, Fro wrote: I think a good goal is to stop writing after my first 100 trips unless I don't think I have enough content to edit it into a book.

Sounds like a reasonable goal! The first 100 trips could be a fun theme too.

BBS Signature

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-11-06 10:16:33

At 11/5/17 08:16 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: A rich person finally tips! :D And some pretty intense/entertaining stories in this batch - they're getting longer and longer too, accidents, watch convo, the pro... whatever happened to Trip 11 though...?!

I wasn't sure if I was writing longer or if this was just the longest day that I've ever had driving? Maybe a little of both?

I just realized trip 11 got cut off. I was having troubles with character limits and didn't realize that I cut that story off. I'll finish it during lunch time today.

I'm also really behind on the writing. I knew it would happen eventually, but stories are most likely to come out at a slightly slower pace from here on out. I think I'm at least three days behind. As long as I keep my notes going and don't get more than a week or two behind I'll remember the stories though.

Some typo stuff: way I cam, I looks surprised, I've know how terrible, too my surprise, apologize and told, birthday part, parked my car and wait, where I'm use to, way to young, I'm original from, it sound exactly...

Thank you.

At 11/2/17 10:18 AM, Fro wrote: I think a good goal is to stop writing after my first 100 trips unless I don't think I have enough content to edit it into a book.
Sounds like a reasonable goal! The first 100 trips could be a fun theme too.

"100 Trips That Changed My Life", eh too wordy for a title. :P

At 11/6/17 10:16 AM, Fro wrote: I wasn't sure if I was writing longer or if this was just the longest day that I've ever had driving? Maybe a little of both?

Oh, yeah, the particular segments don't seem to be getting longer overall (though this might've had a couple of the longest ones so far too), it's just the overall doses that seem to be growing per post session.

I just realized trip 11 got cut off. I was having troubles with character limits and didn't realize that I cut that story off. I'll finish it during lunch time today.

Ah! Mystery solved!

I'm also really behind on the writing. I knew it would happen eventually, but stories are most likely to come out at a slightly slower pace from here on out. I think I'm at least three days behind. As long as I keep my notes going and don't get more than a week or two behind I'll remember the stories though.

Always harder to catch up when you know you need to, but good luck with that; looking forward to a probably even bigger dose whenever that time comes! Was honestly a bit easier to read when posted in shorter segments, less time; more spontaneous entertainment so... hope you catch up soon. :P

Thank you.

NP!

"100 Trips That Changed My Life", eh too wordy for a title. :P

Hah! Something like... 100 Uber Trips, The Uber Debut - First Hundred, 100 Wild Rides, 100 Drive Days, 100 Uber Days, The 100 Trips, The Uber 100, Uber 100, Uber Driving 101 (would have to expand the selection a bit with that one though)?

BBS Signature

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-11-06 15:23:11

I pick up a couple from a hotel next to the beach. They ask me if I'm from the area and I have to tell them that I'm pretty new. They wanted to ask me for a recommendation for any dive bar. Nothing fancy at all, just nice people to talk to and cheap alcohol. I sadly don't know of any, but it brings up the conversation of where I'm original from. I tell them that on every block there is a church with a bar in the back and a gun shop in the basement. They say it sound exactly like the town that they were originally from. Their form of communication is blunt and to the point. I have to remind myself this is how I talk normally and it's very common from the areas that all of us are origi

----------

I pick up a couple from a hotel next to the beach. They ask me if I'm from the area and I have to tell them that I'm pretty new. They wanted to ask me for a recommendation for any dive bar. Nothing fancy at all, just nice people to talk to and cheap alcohol. I sadly don't know of any, but it brings up the conversation of where I'm original from. I tell them that on every block there is a church with a bar in the back and a gun shop in the basement. They say it sound exactly like the town that they were originally from. Their form of communication is blunt and to the point. I have to remind myself this is how I talk normally and it's very common from the areas that all of us are originally from. The people where we live now are actually very nice, but love to put on a show of a fakeness.

I drop them off at a place that doesn't look like it's even a place of business. This assures me that we are probably at the right place if they want a dive bar. I've met my goal for the day so I head home.

I get tipped $3.00, I earn $7.35

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-11-06 15:49:23

At 11/6/17 03:23 PM, Fro wrote: I get tipped $3.00, I earn $7.35

A tip! :D Nice way to conclude the day.

BBS Signature

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-11-07 02:19:26

You already have a great title in your thread. I like the idea of stopping at the 100th trip. How about this?

100 Trips: Diary of an Uber Driver

or maybe "Sisterhood of the Traveling Uber"

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-11-07 03:20:06

At 11/7/17 02:19 AM, The-Great-One wrote: or maybe "Sisterhood of the Traveling Uber"

Definitely this one. It's funny. The second one can be the tag line on the cover. ;)

@Fro, are the earnings you're recording net or gross, btw?

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-11-21 15:35:04

I think it's obvious to me at this point that I probably won't continue writing these. I feel too far behind and can't remember the majority of the rides anymore.

That being said, I'm doing well with it. I'm getting my bills paid down and made enough that I could take it easy driving for a couple of weeks.

I made my first $100 trip with the help of a $15 tip. On the way home I took a new route and followed the ocean line four 2 hours. It was awesome, almost touching.

Somebody gave me a 4 out of 5 for the first time without telling me what I could to do improve. I now have a blemished 4.97 rating. I'm assuming it's because I no longer have the interest to talk to people while driving. I still really enjoy doing it, but I don't feel like prying conversation out of people. "Hello, how are you." Then nothing except common "Is this drop of point ok? Windows down or up? Music ok? Etc...,"

My partner just got accepted to Uber and made more on their first day then I think I did in my first couple of days added together. If both of us start attacking these bills I should be done driving within another 2 months or so.

The whole point that I started driving was because I was losing money so quickly. I was losing at least $500 a month because bills outweighed my income levels. Since then I've paid down enough to make about $10-$20 biweekly, it's a great improvement and has taken a lot of stress out of my everyday life. My partner has also found a part time job, 8 hours a week that pays $30 an hour. This is great as I no longer go days without eating. (Seven, I'm sure this would make you sad)

There's also a shift happening at work where the three people in my department, including me, are being shifted up a pay grade and they're feeling the bottom position because the top position is moving on. We new it was coming for awhile so we've been doing the jobs of the new positions for months now. I'll have a pay raise and new title with the same exact job that I've been doing, so I can't complain.

Things are looking up, that's for sure.

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-11-21 16:08:08

At 11/21/17 03:35 PM, Fro wrote: won't continue writing these.

Aw man, was hoping to read at least a hundred of these. :P

Things are looking up, that's for sure.

Great to hear things are looking up though! Been fun while the words lasted! Is the book idea still an idea? Retrospective recollections? Potential highlights within and without the first hundred? Maybe a collaborative work featuring both you and yours, with alternating, random writings on memorable trips?

BBS Signature

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-11-21 16:18:14

At 11/21/17 04:08 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Great to hear things are looking up though! Been fun while the words lasted! Is the book idea still an idea? Retrospective recollections? Potential highlights within and without the first hundred? Maybe a collaborative work featuring both you and yours, with alternating, random writings on memorable trips?

I guess if people were still interested in hearing the stories I'd still continue writing.

I thought the idea of missing so many trips in between would turn people off from the adventure. Maybe if I keep writing them here short style like I have been, but if I'm going to try and do a book I write only about the really cool drives so I don't feel overwhelmed by writing.