00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zpredojev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Daily Diary of an Uber Driver

3,456 Views | 62 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Day 1:

----------

Trip 1: My first time

My first customers as an Uber driver. I picked up three students at the grocery store. I popped open the trunk and let them throw their groceries in.

Student 1: Can we put our groceries in here?
Me: Absolutely, of course.
Student 2: Good, if you said no we’d be shit out of luck.

Everyone enjoys a small chuckle and I tell them that they are my first customers ever. They were really excited and suggested making it a memorable trip.

We talked about classes, the fires that were going on throughout the state, my job, and what my partner is going to school for. While they didn’t do anything especially fun or exciting I couldn’t have asked for a better group to take for my first trip.

I discover that my back door is on child lock mode and I jump out to open the door for one of the students. I take a look at the door, but figure I can fix it another time. I don’t know why I thought that was a good idea since I was going to keep driving, but perhaps I was having first drive nerves.

They tip me a $1.00. I’m super pumped. Money earned - $7.80.

----------

Trip 2: Kidnapped

I pick up a middle aged couple going on date night. Spouse number 1 gets into the car first while the other spouse, spouse number 2 is still getting something from inside their house. I note that the car in their parking lot has an Uber sticker in it and I figure they’re going to end up drinking tonight.

I quickly remember the child lock and tell spouse 1 about the situation. They think it’s funny not to tell the other spouse about it and slides to the side where the door opens fine. Spouse 2 gets in.

We have a minute of casual conversation, but they immediately start talking to themselves. I calmly listen. They basically pretend like I’m not there. They were talking about someone they know going back to jail. Most of the information they were sharing back and forth would only make sense to someone who knew the situation, but I’m still finding it kind of funny. They use the phrase “half-breeds”. I’m pretty sure it’s a racial term in their context.

We reach our destination, and spouse 1 gets out of the car. Leaning into the window they tell spouse 2 that I’m going to kidnap them and maybe they’ll see each other later. When the door doesn’t open there’s a few moments of pure from the spouse still locked in. I think it’s great and play along a little. I get a head nod/smile from spouse 1 when they come back and open the door.

I fix the door this time, wanting to avoid giving someone a heart attack.

They tip me a $1.00. Money earned - $5.00

----------

Trip 3: They took my job!

I pick someone up from work and start taking them home. They live kind of far away, but I don’t mind the trip as it got us out of town. We talked about both of our jobs a little bit. I find out that they had applied to the current job that I have. They obviously didn’t get it and I did. What are the damn chances? The rest of the ride is kind of awkward. I’m pretty sure they wanted to punch me in the face.

My first ride with no tip. Money earned - $5.11

----------

Trip 4: Money defines me

Very close to where I dropped off the customer who I robbed of a possible career, I pick up two very wealthy people from an expensive hotel. The ride is perfect because they are getting dropped off only a couple of miles from where I live. Score.

We talk for about 30 seconds. They immediately start stroking each other’s ego by talking about how much money they spend. Rich person 1 talks about how rich person 2 should open up this credit card because of all the amazing benefits you get from it. Rich person 2 asks what the annual fee is to which rich person 1 responds $1,500. Rich person 2 says that isn’t so bad. You can tell he’s actually horrified by the amount.

Rich person 1 talks about how there is one small downfall, the $250,000 a year you need to spend on it for it to stay active. Rich person 2 states they could easily do that. They can’t actually.

More and more conversation from rich person, including spending money at a sushi place that was absolutely terrible. They’ve had so much better sushi everywhere else ever. They make sure to mention that it’s $300 a person.

I get them to their location, a mediocre/cheap restaurant in town. Rich guy 2 reaches into his wallet and hands me $2.00. I suddenly realize I should have stroked their ego the entire trip and maybe they would have given me more. I doubt it.

They tip me $2.00. Money earned - $11.16

----------

Daily total: $29.70

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-19 12:55:57

Casually going to follow this thread and say a prayer you're able to make more than you spend on gas. Dig the narrative style here. :)

I also see you ran into a pair of the money-is-my-self-esteem people. I'm fortunate enough never having had to deal with them past arm's length, and never for very long at that. Least you got a good tip out of it though. @littlemisfortune more often than not is stuck waiting on them at work.

Usually, the more you can get anyone talking, the more memorable and enjoyable the ride will be, and the more guilty they'll feel if they don't leave a tip, but anyway, be safe and come home whole. Excited to see more stories. :P

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-19 16:23:03

At 10/19/17 12:55 PM, ADR3-N wrote:
Excited to see more stories. :P

Great. I'm going to flush them out here and in a word document until I have a couple of weeks worth. I'll probably move them onto my blogger blog where I can link referral links and whatnot. I'm sure I'll keep posting the rough versions here as well.

I have last night's to catch up with and whatever I get tonight.

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-20 00:20:31

Day 2:

----------

Trip 1: I'd be driving if...

I pick up my customer and start heading towards our destination. They are very talkative and likes to give directions. I turn the volume down on my phone as they want to take a specific way and I really don't mind.

We literally talk about everything. We talk about our kids, we talk about what war our grandfathers fought in, etc... etc... I mention I just moved from Pennsylvania, he asks where from and I have to mention that I lived about 20 miles from Penn State/State College because it's probably the only place I could mention where people would know 3,000 miles away. We talk about the Penn State scandals and how they're approached/talked about in the local communities. They tell me how they've just left from a meeting, they don't tell me what it's about, but they follow it up "That's why I'm having you drive and not me."

I realize I just picked them up from AA. I'm happy they are getting the help they need. They reinsure me that nobody died, even though the car ended up flipping. They are one of the friendliest people I've ever met. I think they're embarrassed to tell someone about the situation as I stop about a block away via request. They mention they didn't want the person they're meeting to know that they got a ride.

They tip me $5.00. I'm reminded that the rich folk only tipped me $2.00. Money earned $12.63

----------

Daily total: $12.63

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-20 00:23:57

Day 3:

----------

Trip 1: And they're gone...

They cancel within 5 seconds of requesting. I'm 6 minutes away, but don't get the cancelation fee because I have to be within 5 minutes for them to have to pay me something. I'm frustrated because I've been waiting about 45 minutes for a ride.

I earn $0.00

----------

Trip 1 for real: What's your job?

I pick up an individual dressed very provocatively. They mention that they just woke up and that they forgot they had work. It's 6 in the evening. I assume they're a stripper. I don't mind it, but there's no mention of what they do for a living like most other riders.

They are pretty quiet the entire ride. They yawn a lot and I can tell they don't want to talk so I stay quiet. After a couple of minutes they point out the squirtle I have attached to my dashboard. I try to cover it up as something my daughter would do. (In a joking manner) They say, "Nice cover up." We chuckle and return to silence. There's no more conversation.
We reach their destination. They work at an ice-cream shop.

I don't get tipped. I earn $3.75

----------

Trip 2 and 3: Lost my keys

I drive through a sketchy part of the neighborhood. Realizing my pickup is directly in front of the police station I'm assuming the worst. I'm wrong. A nice individual who somehow got their keys locked in their office, forgetting about them until it's too late, needs a ride home to get their spare. It's a 20 minute ride so I bunker down. We talk a lot about the places where we came from. They are from out of the country, but have now been in the United States longer than they haven't been. They love to give directions and like usual I let them take over.

They mention they work for apple. Their phone is an android, an older model, so I'm quite skeptical. We talk about normal things you talk about when nobody really has anything to talk about. The weather, our kids, Penn State gets brought up again... I get pinged for ride while I'm driving them. I go to accept it, but they mention they were thinking I could give them another ride to their car after they get their spare from their house. I'm sad that I have to deny more first passenger, but it's getting late and his car happens to be in the direction of my house so I agree.

10 seconds later I have to deny another ping. I deny again and mention that I hardly ever get that many requests at home time because I actually never have. I'm hoping that butters the customer up for some sort of tip since I will end up driving them for 40 minutes by the time I'm done. I wait in their driveway, their house is beautiful with a great ocean view. I'm less skeptical about the Apple job. Their car is also beautiful, new, shiny, expensive... I guess just because you work for Apple, on the Siri team, doesn't mean you can't own an android right?

They don't tip me. I earn $22.49

----------

Daily total: $26.24

Driving for Uber sounds pretty fun! Though was wondering if you were actually earning anything until the 'Daily total: $29.70' point in the first post... something about hyphens before numbers make them look negative, ya know?

Interesting twist with the potential stripper ice cream shop worker, and seems like the moral of the story so far is twofold: better not judge by appearance, and if you want to get rich, don't tip!

Hope to see an exception in some future drive though, that proves there are decent rich people out there too. Entertaining reads so far. :)

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-20 13:44:43

At 10/20/17 10:44 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Driving for Uber sounds pretty fun! Though was wondering if you were actually earning anything until the 'Daily total: $29.70' point in the first post... something about hyphens before numbers make them look negative, ya know?

Interesting twist with the potential stripper ice cream shop worker, and seems like the moral of the story so far is twofold: better not judge by appearance, and if you want to get rich, don't tip!

Hope to see an exception in some future drive though, that proves there are decent rich people out there too. Entertaining reads so far. :)

I'm happy that you enjoyed reading. I know I've enjoyed writing it so far. It's become a nice night time tradition. Turn on the tv after the long day, write for 30 minutes or so and head to bed after we're done watching shows.

Good point on the hyphen! I never even realized it until I looked back just now. I'll write all future ones with a : instead.

This is one of the reasons I planned on writing it out here in the writing forum before I started putting it on my blog. If anyone else sees any mistakes, whether it be spelling or whatever, please let me know.

Also let me know if I accidentally slip in a he or she instead of a they or other generic name. I'm trying to keep details as vague as possible in the rare situation somebody stumbles upon their ride.

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-20 14:10:44

This is really neat!
Keep it going!

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-20 14:57:44

This thread is extremely interesting. These small peeks at everyday life of a random people are interesting by themselve, but when they are told in such a good language and with interesting observations and thoughts, it's really enjoyable to read.

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-20 15:20:34

its quite unreasonable but I wish i knew how far you were driving for some of these, because the amount you are making barely seems like it would cover gas costs.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-20 15:29:54

At 10/20/17 02:10 PM, SevenSeize wrote: This is really neat!
Keep it going!

Thanks, I'll have more tonight!

At 10/20/17 02:57 PM, RemileOduen wrote: This thread is extremely interesting. These small peeks at everyday life of a random people are interesting by themselve, but when they are told in such a good language and with interesting observations and thoughts, it's really enjoyable to read.

This statement really made my day. Thank you.

At 10/20/17 03:20 PM, Template88 wrote: its quite unreasonable but I wish i knew how far you were driving for some of these, because the amount you are making barely seems like it would cover gas costs.

I'll simply update the posts whenever I pay for gas. It usually costs about $30-$40 to fill my car up and I've used 1/4 tank of gas. I work within walking distance, bike almost everywhere, and the grocery store here delivers for free so we don't even drive there.

Also remember, I do get to claim gas, wear and tear, phone bill, car payment, car insurance, and a couple of other things on my taxes.

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-21 09:57:33

At 10/20/17 03:29 PM, Fro wrote: Also remember, I do get to claim gas, wear and tear, phone bill, car payment, car insurance, and a couple of other things on my taxes.

Nice! We have pretty strict regulations on that stuff over here. Have to get over certain costs to get any reduction at all, and at a level that 'normal people' just won't reach in a normal year. Curious if that's a feat for everyone who lives where you do, or a benefit of the Uber driving thing? Entrepreneur-type deductions maybe?

At 10/20/17 01:44 PM, Fro wrote: Also let me know if I accidentally slip in a he or she instead of a they or other generic name. I'm trying to keep details as vague as possible in the rare situation somebody stumbles upon their ride.

Was wondering about that vagueness, ice cream worker in particular... good to know. Eyes peeled for potential errs and new stories...

BBS Signature

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-21 16:24:07

Will be following
Keep on uberin' pal! :D

normalgeist-villsvin

Art - Music - Podcast

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-22 02:14:37

I don't follow threads much, but this one is a page turner. You should turn this into a book in the future.

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-22 12:29:02

Interesting stories. I think I'll keep reading as you post more.

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-22 14:18:33

Day 4

----------

Trip 1: The journey

I decide to start the driver app up in my house as I'm finishing dinner. Within five minutes I have a ping from about five minutes away. I jump in my car and start driving. I drive up to some apartments to see two college age kids. I'm hoping their going to the bus stop to go home for the weekend. They are, but sadly they are going to the bus stop in another town. An hour away... I didn't want to make a trip this far, an hour away, but I've committed to the ride and they were already in my car so there wasn't much I could do.

I say hello, they say hello and I try to have some small talk with them. They don't answer... "Rude", I say to myself. I try to start up some small talk one more time because I'm thinking they didn't hear me... nothing again. I turn around and realize they're both half asleep with headphones on. I feel better, but know this is going to be a terribly boring ride. One of the kids asks me if there's a bathroom nearby. I'm right next to a gas station so I pull in and we wait for about ten minutes. I wanted to get gas, but I literally pulled into the only gas station in a 3,000 mile radius that doesn't take any of my cards at the pump. While I do trust that nothing would happen to my vehicle as I walked inside to pay, I also realize that it would be good practice not to leave my car alone with strangers.

We finally get there, an hour long drive of complete silence from my passengers. I'm sure there's a language barrier, but it doesn't make the trip any less boring. We get to our destination. I park on the side of the building because the map takes me there, but they aren't happy with it. I can literally see the front door, it's about a 20 foot walk from the car, but another mile drive as I have to go around several blocks to find a road that connects the buildings. I'm not upset as I'm getting paid for driving and having them in the car, but I'm surprised that gaining 10 foot is worth another 5-10 minutes to them.

I want to go home and I'm nervous that another trip will take me farther in a direction I don't want to go so turn the app to "offline" mode and get some gas.

They don't tip me. I earn $42.12, but pay $21.26 in gas.

----------

Trip 2 – Uber and Chill

I'm about half way home and it's getting really late. I really want more rides in for the night, but don't want to go out of my way. I decide to take the risk and turn the app back on. I get a ping in about 5 minutes and pull off the highway. I pull into a nice quiet town, beautiful homes and big buildings surround me. The people here have money. I know this because the speed limits are low and there's a lot of watch children signs up. You don't see that in poor neighborhoods because the locals usually don't care about those people.

I see a huge red building to my left, with a big NETFLIX sign outside. "What the hell?", I say to myself. I knew NETFLIX had a physical office, or offices, but had no clue that it was this close to me. I realize I'm pulling into this buildings lot. I'm hoping to get free NETFLIX for a year or something as a tip.

Three very well dressed individuals come out and get into my vehicle. I quickly tell them I don't know the area that well and I'm out of my zone so if they have specific root they know is better to feel free to let me know. I follow the comment up with the dumbest question I've ever had. So, this is the NETFLIX? "Of course it is dumb dumb, what other NETFLIX do you know of?" That should have been their answer, but their polite and acknowledge that it is in fact, "The NETFLIX".

I have a ton of interesting questions, interesting to me, but they are too into their conversation to include me. Fair enough, I guess I was a little star struck because of the company. They take the entirety of they talk to each other about expensive meals and the qualifications of certain recruits for a specific job. Their meals consist of foods that cost $600 a head. The conversation reminds me of the rich folks I had given a ride to prior, but the difference here is these people are intelligent. Their conversation is fun and you can tell they aren't talking about these things to try and impress each other like the other folks.

We get to their hotel. They decide on Greek tonight. Good choice.

They don't tip me. I earn $6.04

----------

3 – Deceit on the receipt

I get back on the highway and make sure I at least get a couple of miles past the last exit I entered so I make progress to home. I'm only about 20 minutes from home now and get a ping. I accept, and within 10 seconds my phone rings. "Hi this is in I'm turn right in front of generic for so and so road grocery store, can you pick me up?" I answer back, "I'm sorry, my phone was reading directions and I only heard some of that. They repeat and I confirm to them that I'm getting them. Their call drops and my directions show that I missed the turn by about 5 seconds. A 4 minute drive turns into a 14 minute drive. I'm kind of pissed that they called so quickly into the drive and forced me to drive farther. I'm not compensated for time driving to a customer.

My new path is a windy forest road, but I finally pick them up. Person number one, the phone caller, is really drunk. Person number 2 is probably also drunk, but because they are clearly handling their alcohol much better if they are. They're going to a restaurant. I assume because they're coming empty handed from a grocery store that they had planned on getting food for dinner tonight. When realizing how drunk they were they changed their mind and decided to eat out.

They're really thankful and friendly. They talk to me the entire time and it's refreshing because I've been left out of conversations for the majority of the night. They express how they've been calling for drivers for at least an hour, but they've all canceled on them. They are out in the middle of nowhere, so I can see why. This also explains why they called so quickly to make sure that I was coming. I'm over any frustration.

I drop them off at the restaurant. They again thank me.

The promise to tip me for going out of my way. They don't. I earn $4.53

Part 2 of day 4 down in next post.

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-22 14:24:24

Day 4 Part 2

----------

Trip 4: Sketchy McSketchs

I'm back in my home town and even though I really want to go home now I decide to just pick up anyone on my way. I run the risk of getting a long trip out of town again, but I doubt that'll happen this late. I immediately get a ping and pull into a sketchy alley filled neighborhood. I see my pick up on the right. They're someone straight out of the 60's. Leather jacket, tight tight tight jeans. I believe that even though they are at least in their 40's they just got done playing in their rock cover band in their buddy’s garage.

They make sure to tell me that they usually walk, but they just felt like being lazy tonight. Including that statement, every other statement that comes out of their mouth sounds completely made up or over exaggerated.

There's a point where they lean off to the side and reach for their pocket. I'm hoping it's a cigarette and not a weapon. For a moment I feel like I'm about to get stabbed. I never do see what he grabbed, but I'm still alive.

The purpose of their trip is to back track and try to find the expensive silver and diamond bracelet last night. It was their grandfathers. I mention that it probably has a lot of sentimental value to it. They're only interested in the $ amount. It's a one of a kind from Bali so they can't just go to another store and buy one, even though they have enough money to do it.
I drop them off at a bar. I surely hope they find their bracelet.

They tip me $1.00. I earn $4.75

----------

Trip 5 – Bar Bros

I'm actually really close to home after that last trip. I get another ping pretty quickly. I pull up and park, waiting for about a minute before my riders come out of the house. Two individuals come out and they're heading to the bar.

It's a bar I've been to so we talk about the food and beer. The place has around 100 beers on tap and is decently priced for an expensive area. They're refreshing to talk to and seem like people I'd be friends with. We talk about our jobs mostly. I mention that I'm happy because for the first time in my life I have a good office job and it's been a relief that I'm not breaking my back for a company anymore. They're proud and talk about just getting very similar jobs as well. The thought that they are decent and friendly being relevant to their social status compared to me crosses my mind.

They don't tip, I earn 3.75

-----------

Daily total: $61.19
Gas: $21.26
Daily profit: $39.33

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-22 14:31:45

At 10/21/17 09:57 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Nice! We have pretty strict regulations on that stuff over here. Have to get over certain costs to get any reduction at all, and at a level that 'normal people' just won't reach in a normal year. Curious if that's a feat for everyone who lives where you do, or a benefit of the Uber driving thing? Entrepreneur-type deductions maybe?

That I'm not sure about that. I just plan on keeping track of everything and letting my accountant figure it out during tax season.

At 10/21/17 04:24 PM, normalgeist wrote: Will be following
Keep on uberin' pal! :D

Thank you. I will!

At 10/22/17 02:14 AM, The-Great-One wrote: I don't follow threads much, but this one is a page turner. You should turn this into a book in the future.

Perhaps I'll just do that. I'm already saving everything in a word document and I'm already 6 pages in. It wouldn't be that hard to have someone come back through and help me edit/proof read everything.

At 10/22/17 12:29 PM, OneThousandMeeps wrote: Interesting stories. I think I'll keep reading as you post more.

Please do. It's giving me motivation to keep writing.

----------

New stories posted, more in the works saved as notes right now. Off to typing the notes later today.

@ADR3-N @Cyberdevil @SevenSeize @RemileOduen @Template88 @normalheist @The-Great-One @OneThousandMeeps

If you guys don't want to be tagged when I post new stories let me know and I'll take you off.

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-22 14:50:20

At 10/22/17 02:31 PM, Fro wrote:

@ADR3-N @Cyberdevil @SevenSeize @RemileOduen @Template88 @normalheist @The-Great-One @OneThousandMeeps

If you guys don't want to be tagged when I post new stories let me know and I'll take you off.

I don't mind the tag. But I was stalking you and had read the stories already.

Friendly stalking, no restraining order needed.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-22 16:08:53

At 10/22/17 02:31 PM, Fro wrote: Perhaps I'll just do that. I'm already saving everything in a word document and I'm already 6 pages in. It wouldn't be that hard to have someone come back through and help me edit/proof read everything.

I'll be here if the time comes.

I'm totally fine with that.

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-22 16:49:47

At 10/22/17 02:31 PM, Fro wrote: That I'm not sure about that. I just plan on keeping track of everything and letting my accountant figure it out during tax season.

Ah, simple. :) Accountants are a rarity here too so I'll assume you do get tax reductions on more than we do, good knowing.

Tag much appreciated! I thought new posts would pop up as interactions if I follow the thread, but apparently such is not (always) the case. Another interesting day with interesting people! And seems the rich don't tip stigma still applies.

BBS Signature

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-23 01:42:27

At 10/22/17 02:31 PM, Fro wrote: Perhaps I'll just do that. I'm already saving everything in a word document and I'm already 6 pages in. It wouldn't be that hard to have someone come back through and help me edit/proof read everything.

I am still enjoying this quite a lot. I am working on an archive of sorts here on Newgrounds, because threads do tend to come and go. Would it be alright if I add this to it?

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-23 10:14:39

At 10/22/17 02:50 PM, SevenSeize wrote:
I don't mind the tag. But I was stalking you and had read the stories already.

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get to that part in our relationship someday.

At 10/22/17 04:08 PM, OneThousandMeeps wrote:
I'll be here if the time comes.

I'll definitely take everyone's help here, especially if it means getting some free help.

At 10/22/17 04:49 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Ah, simple. :) Accountants are a rarity here too so I'll assume you do get tax reductions on more than we do, good knowing.

He's not really "my accountant", just a good friend who does this stuff for a living for big companies and I have do my taxes every year. So wait yeah... maybe he his my accountant..

Tag much appreciated! I thought new posts would pop up as interactions if I follow the thread, but apparently such is not (always) the case. Another interesting day with interesting people! And seems the rich don't tip stigma still applies.

Wow, I just realized that you can follow a thread. I'll have to play around with that and see what it does.

At 10/23/17 01:42 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
I am still enjoying this quite a lot. I am working on an archive of sorts here on Newgrounds, because threads do tend to come and go. Would it be alright if I add this to it?

Absolutely! Maybe if when I do decide to edit and write a book about this the newgrounds archive can be a good historical piece on the history of it.

----------

Update:

I had eight trips on Saturday. I'm halfway through writing about them. I just had two on Sunday and plan on writing those during my lunch. If I can finish the Saturday today when I get home I'll be all caught up.

My true goal is about 100 trips in the first 30 days because of a sign on bonus. I need to make at least 15 trips this Monday-Friday to get a $60 weekly bonus that they're running for my area so you know they'll be at least 15 more stories this upcoming week. (I hope more)

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-23 10:36:46

At 10/23/17 10:14 AM, Fro wrote:
At 10/22/17 02:50 PM, SevenSeize wrote:

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get to that part in our relationship someday.

All good relationships do.

Ok, I'll stop derailing the thread.

Continue!!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-24 02:43:57

Day 5

----------

Trip 1: Not quick enough

They cancel on me. I wonder if they think 10 minutes is too far to wait. It’s alright though because I realize that I forgot my wallet, and there for my driver’s license, at home. I turn around.

----------

Trip 1 for real: Getting the car

Two college age kids get in my car. This is the same apartment complex that I picked up the college kids for the hour long trip the day before. I get a little nervous that this will be the same. They get and even look like the same kids. “Hello sir, thanks for picking me up.”

It’s only about a ten minute trip, which is good because I’m getting drunk off of their beer sweat. I know the smell, I’ve experienced it before. I ask what the agenda is today and they state they’re picking up their car down town and then are going to go eat lunch… well breakfast… they can’t decide which one it is because they haven’t ate yet, but it’s in the afternoon. I mentally recommend something with bread in it to help soak up the alcohol in their system.

They’re friendly, but one of them is clearly hungover and doesn’t want to talk too much. I’m hoping I don’t have to clean my car after this.

No tip, I earn $5.95

----------

Trip 2: Awww, dogs!

I drive to a residential area not too far from my own home. It’s a student who is heading up to the local university. We awkwardly both try to create small talk, but while the effort is there we just don’t have anything in common.
They see an opportunity to try the conversation up again. Two Bassett hounds are being walked by their owner. “Awww, looks at those dogs they are so cute.”

I’m a cat person, but I lie. “Yeah, their ears are so droopy!” The passenger is now talking about all of the dogs in their life with much excitement. I talk about all of the dogs that friends and family have like they’re the best things in the world. I also play off the fact that we don’t have dogs at home because it’s against my apartment’s rules, which it is.
I get pinged while they’re still in the car and I accept it. I drop them off and realize that my next pickup is a block away. Score!

I earn $6.82, no tip for pretending to like dogs. I'm a traitor with no honor.

----------

Trip 3: Running late

The campus is literally in the middle of the woods so the GPS has no clue that I’m even on a road. Still, I live here so I know the ins and outs even if the road doesn’t exist on my screen. I park where the green dot is on the screen and wait for a minute. I don’t see anyone so I start to text the customer to see where they are. Before I get halfway through my text I see someone frantically running towards my car. I close out the text, this is definitely my fare.

They get in the back seat and I apologize. “Sorry if I passed you up.” They swear that I didn’t pass them, they were just running late and didn’t expect me to be there so quickly. I’m not sure if they’re telling the truth so I add a little, “Hope I didn’t make you run.” They promise I didn’t, but they say they their bus is leaving in 15 minutes. The GPS says it’ll take 16 minutes to get there. I promise him it’ll only take 10.

I ask him where he’s going. No response. “Don’t fall for this again…” I look into the mirror and notice their headphones on. No big deal buddy, I didn’t want to talk to you either. As promised they’re there in time for their bus.

No tip. I earn $7.12

----------

Trip 4: Beach Day

I decide it’s time to go home for a break, but if I’m pick up anymore rides on the way then that’ll be fine. I get halfway home and I have another ping so close to my apartment that I can see my front door. I pick up three college students who are going to the beach. We start off with some nice casual chit chat, but they immediately start talking to each other. It’s nice to hear conversation after half of my rides being quite quiet.

A couple of times I try to join in the conversation. They point out a farmers market that we pass on the way and I mention that I’ve been there a few times. They don’t care, I give up. I drop them off at the beach and head back home. This time I don’t get pinged so I take a break.

No tip, I earn $6.12

----------

Trip 5: Rather have sushi

I pick up three individuals from a hotel next to the beach. They’re really talkative and cheerful. It’s a nice change of pace from the majority of the rides that I’ve given people so far. “Omg I can’t believe so and so didn’t want to come out with us tonight.” “Yeah they just want to stay inside and talk to so and so all night.” “I didn’t fucking go on vacation to stay inside, what a waste.”

This conversation is awesome. I look down at the phone and see they’re heading to a sushi place. I take this opportunity to get in on the conversations. “Yeah, so and so isn’t worth missing sushi either, what a loser.” It works. They love it. “Yeah, especially since so and so is married!”

I do an over exaggerated, “Ohhhhhhh!”, like I’m about to throw down on the Jerry Springer show. We’re all laughing. The rest of the trip is full of super over dramatic conversation that all kind of runs together now, but this is a trip to remember.

They don’t tip, I earn $5.29

----------

Trip 6: Date night

I pick up a couple from their hotel room. They’re going on a date downtown. I ask if their going anywhere specific, but they’re just going to explore. This reminds me of the great nights that I have with my partner whenever we visit a new place. We’ve gone to Vegas, New York, Philadelphia, Bolivia, and Cuba to name a few places. It’s really awesome to check out new areas, find some awesome place to eat, and just enjoy each other’s presence without any stress. It’s not something I get to do often.

They’re from the East coast like me. We talk about the time change and how it sucks missing the football games all of the time because we are used to them being on so much later in the day. These guys are having a really good time and they’re really fun to talk to. Since they don’t really know where to go I drop them dead center downtown and tell them no matter which direction they walk they’ll run into something great.

They tip me $1.00, I earn $4.75

----------

Trip 7: Let’s go home

I’m a very quiet person. I keep to myself most of the time and observe. These three college students I pick up are kind of the same. Except they don’t say a single word other than the original hello and how is everyone tonight statements.
I get a small yes when I ask if they’re all undergrad students. We are driving back to the campus, directly next to my house. Even my mention of living on campus can’t spark any sort of response. It’s a good time to end the night. Or so I thought…. my map turns all sorts of red color when I reach my destination. That can only mean one thing.

Same old, same old no tip. I earn $6.76

----------

Trip 8: Back at it

I see that the area is surging and decide to suck it up and do one more trip. This basically means there are way more riders than there are drivers in the area. The basic supply and demand translates into drivers getting paid more for the trip. I drive past my house, cry a little bit because I want to go home, wipe the tears away, and drive along.

I pick up two college students from their dorm room. They don’t speak English very well and the entire trip on of them is talking speaker phone to someone. I have no clue what any of it is about, but every phrase has so much emotion and it’s entertaining nonetheless. I drop them off at their destination. I popular, and delicious, noodle house down town next to the bus stop. They don’t invite me in so I shut the app off and drive home for real this time.

This trip is just as far as my last, but I make more than twice as much. No tip. I earn $14.92

----------

Daily Total: $57.73

New stories posted. Question to everyone. Would everyone like to see a better breakdown of each trip? Perhaps something like this?

Tip: $1.00
Miles: 10
Time: 23 minutes
Trip Earnings: $40,389.93

@ADR3-N @Cyberdevil @SevenSeize @RemileOduen @Template88 @normalgeist @The-Great-One @OneThousandMeeps

----------

Update:

I had eight trips on Saturday. I'm halfway through writing about them. I just had two on Sunday and plan on writing those during my lunch. If I can finish the Saturday today when I get home I'll be all caught up.

I feel like I lacked details on these and for that I apologize. Probably because I'm falling behind and am starting to get tired tonight. I'll revamp my document later, but here are the roughest of the rough drafts.

My true goal is about 100 trips in the first 30 days because of a sign on bonus. I need to make at least 15 trips this Monday-Friday to get a $60 weekly bonus that they're running for my area so you know they'll be at least 15 more stories this upcoming week. (I hope more)

Got 7 of my 15 trips done and on a Monday night! I'm going to take the day off to go to the beach and that should also give me time to finish up all of my writing. I have notes on everything so I shouldn't fall too far behind...

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-24 03:24:52

At 10/24/17 02:51 AM, Fro wrote: Question to everyone. Would everyone like to see a better breakdown of each trip? Perhaps something like this?

Nah, I think current breakdown is enough. I'm not really interested in these details, I'm enjoying the mood and description)

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-24 14:45:49

At 10/24/17 02:51 AM, Fro wrote: New stories posted. Question to everyone. Would everyone like to see a better breakdown of each trip? Perhaps something like this?

How about once a week you tell us the totals for the week, and optionally the totals since the beginning.

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-24 17:01:08

At 10/24/17 02:51 AM, Fro wrote: Trip Earnings: $40,389.93

That I'd like to see sometime. XD But no, current breakdowns are fine IMO. As @OneThousandMeeps mentions it'd be fun with a weekly breakdown though. Or monthly. Yearly. However long this thing goes.

He's not really "my accountant", just a good friend who does this stuff for a living for big companies and I have do my taxes every year. So wait yeah... maybe he his my accountant..

Sounds like maybe pretty good reductions on accounting fees too! :) Really is a good place to live!

Wow, I just realized that you can follow a thread. I'll have to play around with that and see what it does.

Yeah it's pretty useful! I've been subscribed to all the 'Top ### Users' lists ever since that feature was introduced... few years now I think. Noticed your posts did show up btw, I just skimmed past them somehow. Seems like getting tagged in/following the same thing doesn't give any duplicate notifications anyhow. All good.

You mentioned you were looking for typos; such earlier, but I'm guessing the recent stories weren't really revised yet? Could point out some grammatical wonkiness if you were unawares, like : They get and even look like the same kids? ... haven’t ate yet? ... if I’m pick up ... entire trip on of them is talking ... I popular, and delicious ...

All in all another day of entertaining trips! And no particularly rich folks this time. Looks like tips aren't so common.

BBS Signature

Response to Daily Diary of an Uber Driver 2017-10-24 21:18:14

At 10/24/17 02:51 AM, Fro wrote: New stories posted. Question to everyone. Would everyone like to see a better breakdown of each trip? Perhaps something like this?

No opinion one way or the other, but a breakdown at the beginning before the narrative would grab my attention.

Got 7 of my 15 trips done and on a Monday night! I'm going to take the day off to go to the beach and that should also give me time to finish up all of my writing. I have notes on everything so I shouldn't fall too far behind...

I saw. Sucks you got no tip. I'd be interested to know, is it the young people or the old that are the worst about that? Years ago, I can remember nobody would think twice before tipping a ride. Today, a lot of people take that for granted.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature