00:00
00:00

N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE

2,420 Views | 64 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

This is it, folks. The end is in sight. We've come a long, long way with our 2017 Newgrounds Audio Deathmatch and have finally arrived at the Grand Finale! Whether you've been keeping up with us all along, or you just happened to stumble upon this thread and the NGADM for the first time, you can view all pertinent information HERE.

The formula remains the same: one brand spanking new track from our Semifinalis winners over the course of a two-week deadline. Starting completely from scratch. All new ideas, no remixes or covers, etc., etc. — you guys know the drill! Wrap it all up within a fortnight and post it right here in the thread. That's it.

Our new deadline is October 22nd, 2017 by 11:59 pm.

We are very pleased to announce that all of our judges were able to score the tracks this time around, and we must remember how much effort has been put into this contest by our Hands of Fate: @Bosa, @ADR3-N, @Samulis, & @SkyeWint. Many thanks to @TaintedLogic for being both a judge and my Co-Emcee throughout the contest. And don't forget about your Emcee, @ChronoNomad...er, well...me. We've all put a ton of time and effort into the 2017 NGADM after all.

More thanks must be given to @Ceevro for creating our excellent NGADM 2017 artwork, which can be found at the bottom of this post. He wears the hats of both an artist and a musician, so go check out his work!

Likewise to @LucidShadowDreamer who has played the part of Scribe and given us in-depth breakdowns of each round. A truly talented musician who has an amazing way with all things piano!

Thanks to YOU, for being here right now, taking the time to read this and follow the Newgrounds Audio Deathmatch! We really couldn't do it without you.

And we absolutely cannot forget everyone who entered this positively enormous contest, from the height of the Auditions, where we had a whopping 235 participants, on to the Round of 64, followed by several versus rounds that have finally culminated in the final two! And, without further ado, I will announce that final pairing...

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
@FinnMK

VS

@johnfn & @ethansight
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

As you will see in the follow-up post, these were indeed some very high scores. @etherealwinds and @steelside put up one hell of a battle, and I am sorry to see them exit the arena. I am proud to be a part of this year's NGADM, and I think that I can speak for everyone when I say that we are very much looking forward to what comes next. The level of music submitted to this contest has been nothing less than unparalleled! When the music is this good, everybody wins.

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-08 12:04:32

Scoring data incoming...

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-08 12:30:13

Oh man etherealwinds v Finn was close! That's like the third super close top bracket in a row

Congrats to everyone

finish this Finn I believe in youuuuuuu

hey man, you uh you got something on your face right there, lemme just... ok, there we go, MUCH better, you are looking GOOD AS NEW

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-08 12:32:53

daaaaaaaaaayum son

hahaha I'm okay with that. Finishing on my highest score yet (same score as Gladiolus) so I'm happy enough. Looks like I got third again! :D

AND @johnfn is in the final again. 2013 is this you? good luck @finnmk and @ethansight and @johnfn!

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-08 12:43:02

Oh damn. So close between EW and Finn! I'm sorry to see you knocked out, Jordi, but now we can finally spend some quality time together. Congrats to everyone! And good luck to Finn and FRED. Still enjoyed Steelside's third round track Simple the most so far! :)

hemlo yes i am the do durgs

johnfn made me this signature because i placed 6th in ngadm and only 5th and up got cool signatures but lets face it this is better

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-08 12:55:42

I will be much more decisive next time. This past round was way too close!

Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature

you are all great musicians and stuff. no but 4 real

except you, @1f1n1ty. how dare you root against us

okay good luck finn! :o

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-08 13:15:20

Well this is pretty bananas. For the first time in this competition I had been very confident that I wouldn't make it through. I still think Jordi's Chapter II: Believe is better than Oh Mama Hey!...but I digress.

Thanks for the good battle @etherealwinds - hecka close margin.

And now, this bold newcomer must face off against the legendary @johnfn and @ethansight. Good luck guys! No hitting below the belt. Let's have a fair fight. *ding*

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-08 13:24:56

At 10/8/17 01:15 PM, FinnMK wrote: Well this is pretty bananas. For the first time in this competition I had been very confident that I wouldn't make it through. I still think Jordi's Chapter II: Believe is better than Oh Mama Hey!...but I digress.

Thanks for the good battle @etherealwinds - hecka close margin.

And now, this bold newcomer must face off against the legendary @johnfn and @ethansight. Good luck guys! No hitting below the belt. Let's have a fair fight. *ding*

You're very sweet bro. I had anticipated that your track would get a super high score and I had a strong feeling I wouldn't quite be able to top it. I'm glad to have a lost to such a worthy opponent. :)

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-08 13:27:32

I'm extremely pleased to see all four of you get this far in the competition. Huge congrats to @FinnMK, @Johnfn, and @Ethansight. I'm very much looking forward to hearing your next concoctions. Godspeed!

"Reflect on your evils, lest they reflect on you." ~A Magic card lol --- Formerly "TheDoor6"

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-08 13:48:16

At 10/8/17 01:27 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: I'm extremely pleased to see all four of you get this far in the competition. Huge congrats to @FinnMK, @Johnfn, and @Ethansight. I'm very much looking forward to hearing your next concoctions. Godspeed!
four

FOUR

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-08 14:53:04

At 10/8/17 01:48 PM, johnfn wrote:
four
FOUR

FOUR?!

At 10/8/17 02:53 PM, FinnMK wrote:
At 10/8/17 01:48 PM, johnfn wrote:
four
FOUR
FOUR?!

"FORE!"

caution: golf balls

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-08 15:49:32

OMG I meant the 3 competitors and one team that competed in the previous round.

"Reflect on your evils, lest they reflect on you." ~A Magic card lol --- Formerly "TheDoor6"

BBS Signature

At 10/8/17 03:49 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: OMG I meant the 3 competitors and one team that competed in the previous round.

well thanks to all our 4.5 judges for the correction

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-08 18:09:15

At 10/8/17 04:07 PM, johnfn wrote:
At 10/8/17 03:49 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: OMG I meant the 3 competitors and one team that competed in the previous round.
well thanks to all our 4.5 judges for the correction

You're really lucky you live thousands of miles away from me, you know.

Nah, I'm just kidding. No hard feelings.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-08 18:11:56

At 10/8/17 06:09 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: You're really lucky you live thousands of miles away from me, you know.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

FLIGHT

hey man, you uh you got something on your face right there, lemme just... ok, there we go, MUCH better, you are looking GOOD AS NEW

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-08 18:56:06

Wait a second, how does the score thing work? Etherealwinds one was 9.42, while johnfn team was 9.19. I thought the higher one win eh?

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-08 18:57:51

At 10/8/17 06:56 PM, SnowTeddy wrote: Wait a second, how does the score thing work? Etherealwinds one was 9.42, while johnfn team was 9.19. I thought the higher one win eh?

I was against Finn, and Finn got a higher score than me, so Finn goes through :p
Johnfn and Ethan were against steelside.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-08 18:59:54

At 10/8/17 06:57 PM, etherealwinds wrote:
At 10/8/17 06:56 PM, SnowTeddy wrote: Wait a second, how does the score thing work? Etherealwinds one was 9.42, while johnfn team was 9.19. I thought the higher one win eh?
I was against Finn, and Finn got a higher score than me, so Finn goes through :p
Johnfn and Ethan were against steelside.

Oh fuck I kept forgetting that. Sorry man.

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-08 19:55:29

At 10/8/17 12:55 PM, Bosa wrote: I will be much more decisive next time. This past round was way too close!

Hey, who doesn't love close competition? Gonna start working on getting all those reviews out in the meantime.

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-08 22:00:28

Congratulations to the winners of the round!

And greatly fought, ethy and steely :3!!

I couldn't sleep, so I went ahead and wrote my post! Lemme know if there are any significant errors :D

#ExcitedForTheGRANDFINALE

https://lucidshadowdreamer.newgrounds.com/news/post/999033

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-09 01:04:58

Well, at least I had fun. I started out writing and producing on NG and while over the years my preferences in music have shifted, I honestly didn't expect my current style to get me anywhere near as far as it did on this site because of how, I don't know, "narrative-driven" I am when I write nowadays.

I feel like the tracks I wrote during this competition are a timepiece now. Going back to my audition, "What I See" and following the tracks "Never Told Her", "Far Away", "Simple", and "Make It Easy", I can actually go and relive what was, in all honesty, an exhausting mental torture of what I was and still kind of am going through.
@TaintedLogic mentioned in his review of my last song, "Fires", that I "really told a story" this time, but now that I look back I realize that telling a story was what I was trying to do this entire time.

I guess all I can do now is thank everyone and the judges for their time.

At 10/9/17 01:04 AM, steelside wrote: Well, at least I had fun. I started out writing and producing on NG and while over the years my preferences in music have shifted, I honestly didn't expect my current style to get me anywhere near as far as it did on this site because of how, I don't know, "narrative-driven" I am when I write nowadays.

it was a real delight to see you evolve as a musician and producer over the course of the contest. you wrote a bunch of great songs, i hope you're really proud of what you did.

*goes back to looping simple*

(it's also funny how you call it mental torture - you always seemed to bust out tracks with such ease, it seemed unfair :)

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-09 01:22:28

At 10/9/17 01:11 AM, johnfn wrote:
At 10/9/17 01:04 AM, steelside wrote: Well, at least I had fun. I started out writing and producing on NG and while over the years my preferences in music have shifted, I honestly didn't expect my current style to get me anywhere near as far as it did on this site because of how, I don't know, "narrative-driven" I am when I write nowadays.
it was a real delight to see you evolve as a musician and producer over the course of the contest. you wrote a bunch of great songs, i hope you're really proud of what you did.

*goes back to looping simple*

(it's also funny how you call it mental torture - you always seemed to bust out tracks with such ease, it seemed unfair :)

Yeah, Simple is one of the few tracks I've gone back and listened to several times since the weeks you released it. I liked it so much I actually pulled out my guitar and worked it out so I could sing it myself. I'd actually really like to do a cover of it if it wouldn't be weird for you, @Steelside, considering how personal your songs have been during this competition. Hope you're holding up alright and writing these songs have helped you get through whatever you are going through.

hemlo yes i am the do durgs

johnfn made me this signature because i placed 6th in ngadm and only 5th and up got cool signatures but lets face it this is better

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-10 12:03:21

Awesomesauce

Don't worry, I'm judging you.

......if you're currently in either NGADM or NGUAC. No pressure. :)

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-10 14:47:41

My finale idea is in motion. Get amped for some massive heavy hero rock...

there may be an epic hair metal scream in there

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-11 22:53:42

At 10/9/17 01:22 AM, McGorilla42 wrote:
Yeah, Simple is one of the few tracks I've gone back and listened to several times since the weeks you released it. I liked it so much I actually pulled out my guitar and worked it out so I could sing it myself. I'd actually really like to do a cover of it if it wouldn't be weird for you, @Steelside, considering how personal your songs have been during this competition. Hope you're holding up alright and writing these songs have helped you get through whatever you are going through.

Yeah simple is one of my favourite songs throughout the competition. Along with That Feeling (When I'm With You)

Response to N G A D M 2017 — GRAND FINALE 2017-10-12 00:34:51

At 10/10/17 02:47 PM, FinnMK wrote: My finale idea is in motion. Get amped for some massive heavy hero rock...
there may be an epic hair metal scream in there

*secretly praying for bfj + jgm to return as guest vocalists*