00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Twinspurr just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION!

31,027 Views | 503 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey all! This year's animation challenge is a big deal, huge prizes and a fun theme but with some very specific parameters - so I set up this forum thread for you to share your WIP's and ideas, as well as help each other out with program knowledge and technical questions! Best of luck to you all!

THEME:

“Spooky Dance party!”

Animate a single spooky character busting out a funky dace, in a looped animation. You are limited to ONE character, but the choice of character is your own, it can be a skeleton, a jack-o-lantern, a vampire, a quadruped, beast, or slime. It can be an existing spooky-type character, or one of your own design, as long as it’s ONE character and the rest of the rules are followed - a monster with two heads counts as one character. I’d encourage you to work with an original design however, and not someone else’s IP. Also feel free to dress them up in a funky dance outfit!

DEADLINE:

October 25th 2017

RULES:

Submit by deadline, Wednesday, October 25th
Max 1 entry per person
No sexually explicit, gratuitously violent or inappropriate material

PROGRAMS:

Check out this video at 8:54 for a list of animation program suggestions (both free and paid), I’d add that flash is now called animate CC, and OpenToonz is added it the list of free animation apps. You’re welcome to use ANY animation program, desktop or mobile is fine, as long at all of the rules and following specifications for the challenge are followed, such as framerate, aspect ratio, background color etc.

TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS:

Animate at 30FPS, you can use doubles or tweens, you can use duplicated or tweaked frames, but just make sure that the timeline plays and renders at 30FPS. The length of the dance must be looped from either frame 60, or frame 120.

Think of it like this: The character you animate will be dancing to a music track of 120 BPM - when animating at 30 frames per second, the ‘down’ beats of the song will be at every 15 frames. Therefore, your entry must be a dance loop of the duration of either ONE or TWO bars of music – ONE BAR going like so: 1, 2, 3, 4 (animated over 59 frames and looped infinitely from frame 60) or: 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4 (animated over 119 frames and looped infinitely from frame 120). That means your entry will either be a total of TWO or FOUR seconds of looped animation. The choice is yours, if you want to be more ambitious with less time or try animation for the first time, the first option may be best, if you want to make a big impression and alternate the dance step over a longer timeframe, the latter may be the way you go.

LAYOUT:

Your video must be a 16:9 ratio stage, with your character central to the video frame, they mustn’t at any point touch or go past the top, bottom, or sides of the video frame. You MAY have a very light shadow under the character if you want them to feel more tangible, but keep it subtle. Your character may move around slightly in the frame, but must always return to their central position when the loop repeats.

The entire background must be FILLED with one of the following FLAT colors shown here, namely:

#df4f8d - Pink
#e8912d - Orange
#e4d741 - Yellow
#81cb40 - Green
#3fcca4 - Turquoise
#2f76c6 - Blue
#6842e6 - Purple
#ad43e6 - Mauve

You can convert the above Hex color codes into RGB using this tool: http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/color/hex-to-rgb.htm

your background MUST be 100% filled with one of the above 8 flat colors. No white or black backgrounds, no environments of any kind.

You may NOT include props or objects around the stage, except for things included in your characters costume or design such as a hat or cane for example. You may NOT have more than one character in the scene. You may NOT add a gradient or any details to the background, only the flat colors previously shown may be used and must fill the entire background, and you may not add lighting effects or overlays.

VIDEO UPLOAD:

The final video you produce may loop your animated character a number of times but the final video mustn’t be longer than one minute in length, and must not have any opening title or closing, no text or visuals, NOTHING other than the animation you are submitting. Audio doesn’t matter, you can either have or not have any audio you wish.

You must upload your final video you YouTube.com as a PUBLIC video. Your render must be minimally 1280x720 resolution, recommended 1920x1080. In the title of your video, you must include either the full word “COTMBEGINNER”, or “COTMOPEN”, all one word, at the beginning of your video title – depending on which category you want to enter.

SUBMISSION:

PLEASE NOTE: You may only submit ONE email with your submission, anyone who sends more than ONE email will be automatically disqualified. This email address is NOT for asking questions or making requests, and anything other than a single submission laid out as I’ll explain next, will be disqualified and not read.

To submit your entry, send ONE email to animationchallenge@jazzastudios.com, from the email address you primarily use, and include in the beginning of the subject line the full word “COTMBEGINNER”, or “COTMOPEN”, along with the title of your animation, and your name.

In the content of your email include the following points laid out as follows, with a new line for each point: Your full name, the name you wish to be credited as (you may use an alias, if you want to use your full name just write “as above”. Your age, software used, the link to your entry, and lastly, a short description of what you made highlighting anything noteworthy from a technical or creative standpoint.

DO NOT ATTACH A VIDEO FILE TO YOUR EMAIL! Just link to the public YouTube video as shown.

When you’ve filled all that out, click send – but make sure it’s 100% accurate as anyone who sends more than ONE email will be automatically disqualified.

JUDGING:

Entries will be judged on the following factors

Quality, technical execution of the animation
Creativity and originality concept
Ambition of the animated motion and techniques demonstrated

PRIZES!

Open Category 1st PRIZE:
- A Wacom Mobile Studio Pro (13") Tablet
- An item of your choice from the Jazzastudios.com Shop
- A front page feature on Newgrounds.com
- 1 Year Supporter Status on Newgrounds.com

Open Category Runner-Up:
- A Medium Wacom Intuos Pro Paper Edition Tablet
- A signed copy of the art book '21 Draw - The Illustrator's Guidebook'
– A Stillman & Birn Epsilon 9×12 Sketchbook

Open Category Finalists:
Jazza's Animation Foundation from the Jazzastudios.com Shop
Eligible for the 'Community Prize'

The Community Prize:
- A Medium Wacom Intuos Pro Tablet
(Winner chosen via poll by community votes)

Beginner Category 1st PRIZE:
- A Small Intuos Draw Tablet
- A signed Copy of my new book, Draw with Jazza Creating Characters
– A Stillman & Birn Epsilon 5.5×8.5 Sketchbook
- 1 Year Supporter Status on Newgrounds.com

Beginner Category Runner-Up:
Jazza's Animation Foundation from the Jazzastudios.com Shop

When submitting an artwork to the challenge of the month by following the competition specifications and entry guidelines, participants acknowledge that they have read and agreed to the terms and conditions.
GOOD LUCK!

follow me: TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 07:59:35

My brain just farted.....

Tips?

Any tips for beginners? Like any software ideas or anything you think might help.

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 08:16:33

At 10/5/17 07:59 AM, CartoonyCartoons wrote: My brain just farted.....

My brain farted too, the only animation software that I'm using is Flipnote Studio 3D on my New 3DS XL!...

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 08:19:33

Question.

If one could not currently draw digitally, could one submit an animation created on paper?

(I lost my tablet stylus. And moved. It's gone forever)

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 08:25:01

At 10/5/17 08:19 AM, SilverDirt wrote: Question.

If one could not currently draw digitally, could one submit an animation created on paper?

Due to the background needing to be a specific colour I don't think so :(

At 10/5/17 08:25 AM, CartoonyCartoons wrote:

But... But I want to enter! I haven't entered since November LAST year! Don't let technical difficulties keep me down *cries*
What if I printed the specific color... Then found a cardstock that matched it closely enough... And edited it post production digitally to be the exact pigment... Would that qualify?
Or I could animate it traditionally, then cut it out, and digitally paste each frame onto the correct colored background... That'd be messy.

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 08:28:42

You can but you'll have to jump through a few hoops. like scanning all created frames to your pc and using moneyjam ( a stop-motion animation software ) to turn it into and animation. hope it helped

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 08:30:21

At 10/5/17 08:09 AM, LiamKaneko wrote: Tips?

Any tips for beginners? Like any software ideas or anything you think might help.

Just have fun! As software you can watch jazzas video on free software and trials. Also you can watch some of Jazzas old animation tutorials if you don't know where to start.

Yeah since my drawing tablet won't arrive until December,you can have my idea:
Penny Wise dancing with a balloon(is a balloon classified as a character?) with "Careless Whisper" playing in the background.

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 08:34:19

At 10/5/17 08:28 AM, SilverDirt wrote:
At 10/5/17 08:25 AM, CartoonyCartoons wrote:

But... But I want to enter! I haven't entered since November LAST year! Don't let technical difficulties keep me down *cries*
What if I printed the specific color... Then found a cardstock that matched it closely enough... And edited it post production digitally to be the exact pigment... Would that qualify?
Or I could animate it traditionally, then cut it out, and digitally paste each frame onto the correct colored background... That'd be messy.

Try either creating an image of the colour and printing it out on home paper or buying a similar colour, then scanning it in when you've drawn the frames. Then you'll have to put them all together. It'll be a bit messy ,but if you wan't to participate it's worth a try

Can someone explain the 16:9 ratio layout? Like the square area of the character will be dancing in should be 16:9 with the entire screen (9 being the character, 16 being the screen) ?

Can someone also suggest some good free animation apps in IOS? I only have an iPad to work with.

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 08:56:10

Are we aloud to zoom in on our OC for emphasis? As long as we return them to the center of the frame. I think I may have broke something, way I suppose to erase the intire forum to ask questions?

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 09:03:07

At 10/5/17 08:56 AM, Sheppeh wrote: Are we aloud to zoom in on our OC for emphasis? As long as we return them to the center of the frame. I think I may have broke something, way I suppose to erase the intire forum to ask questions?

I don't think that is allowed, but I'm not a 100%

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 09:05:44

someone please help! I want to enter but I can only do 3D animation! Is that allowed??? I can't tell!!

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 09:08:40

At 10/5/17 09:05 AM, Dinokitty wrote: someone please help! I want to enter but I can only do 3D animation! Is that allowed??? I can't tell!!

3d animation and stop motion are not allowed, sorry :/

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 09:08:43

Can I draw frames with Ps and then make an animation with them in Sony Vegas? Because I don't actually have any other programs...

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 09:13:07

At 10/5/17 08:56 AM, NewJorrik wrote:
Try either creating an image of the colour and printing it out on home paper or buying a similar colour, then scanning it in when you've drawn the frames. Then you'll have to put them all together. It'll be a bit messy ,but if you wan't to participate it's worth a try
You could draw with a mouse, i've done that in the past and you can get pretty good results.

I am absolutely rotten at drawing with a mouse though, and the lack of pressure sensitivity will simply drive me mad.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 09:15:42

At 10/5/17 09:08 AM, FirDrawsStuff wrote: Can I draw frames with Ps and then make an animation with them in Sony Vegas? Because I don't actually have any other programs...

That is perfectly fine, but if you want you can follow jazzas software guide to try your hand at the way pros work.

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 09:15:45

i have a question, wat is "ratio stage" at 16:9?
what dose it meens? (hope it is here i can arsk) :)

At 10/5/17 09:15 AM, 4everlot wrote: i have a question, wat is "ratio stage" at 16:9?
what dose it meens? (hope it is here i can arsk) :)

Aspect ratio is for resolution. 1920 by 1080 is 16:9 ratio. If you want to do a different resolution it will still need to follow the 16:9 ratio. As long as you use 1280 by 720 or 1920 by 1080 you do not need to worry about this.
And if you do want to change it just type "16:9 aspect ratio calculator" into google and it that will help you find a 16:9 resolution, but do not go under 1280 by 720 or you will be disqualified.

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 09:24:28

1 more question - can I use 60 fps instead of 30? Or is it definetly required to be 30fps?

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 09:27:43

At 10/5/17 09:24 AM, FirDrawsStuff wrote: 1 more question - can I use 60 fps instead of 30? Or is it definetly required to be 30fps?

30fps is required for this challenge. 60fps isn't a good way to animated anyway. Animations usually vary from 12 to 30 fps.

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 10:19:22

I think one way round this is to animate against a green screen then edit the required flat colour in - the only way to be sure

BBS Signature

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 10:23:59

Ok was wanting to get back into animation and making a little-looped dance is perfect!

At the moment my spooky character looks cute - just trying to figure out what dance moves it can make...considering something funny but would it terribly detract from the spooky?

BBS Signature

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 11:02:19

I think yeah you could, just as long as you can convert it digitally and change the background

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 11:05:39

Question

if we're using 30 fps and the allowed frames is 60 to 120, we have only 2 to 4 second loop?

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 11:13:23

At 10/5/17 11:05 AM, Jinastator wrote: Question

if we're using 30 fps and the allowed frames is 60 to 120, we have only 2 to 4 second loop?

No, your animation can be 59 to 119 frames before the loop starts and when it hits 60/120 it starts over. so every 2 to 4 seconds the animation will loop. You can loop the animation up to 1 minute.

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-05 11:14:35

Yay, I'm so in, good luck everyone! :D

Question

Is it allowed if you can change the background color like as in instantly change color of the background jazza have provided for each drop beat? (15 frames)

I want to know so I can set my mind on the final idea.