00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MatthieuxDancingDead just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flash games no longer work in Firef

1,092 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

As of today, Flash games on Newgrounds no longer work on Firefox. They worked just fine a day or two ago.

I go into Plugins --> Flash --> Always Activate and even Preferences and disable "Block dangerous and intrusive Flash content"

I disable all other extensions and add-ons.

Yet any page that should have Flash content instead has a great big blank space where the Flash content should be, and right-clicking confirms the Flash element isn't even present there. What gives?

Flash games still work fine on Chrome, it's just Firefox they no longer work in, as of today.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

At 10/4/17 03:41 PM, NeonSpider wrote: As of today, Flash games on Newgrounds no longer work on Firefox. They worked just fine a day or two ago.

I go into Plugins --> Flash --> Always Activate and even Preferences and disable "Block dangerous and intrusive Flash content"

I disable all other extensions and add-ons.

Yet any page that should have Flash content instead has a great big blank space where the Flash content should be, and right-clicking confirms the Flash element isn't even present there. What gives?

Flash games still work fine on Chrome, it's just Firefox they no longer work in, as of today.

Update both your flash plugin AND your firefox to the latest versionn.

Even then you might have to manually select "allow flash to run" everytime.

Best place toupdate your flash is on this page

https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads.html

AAAAND if that doesn't work, contact Tom or liljim

Response to Flash games no longer work in Firef 2017-10-04 20:03:38

At 10/4/17 03:45 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: Update both your flash plugin AND your firefox to the latest versionn.

Even then you might have to manually select "allow flash to run" everytime.

Best place toupdate your flash is on this page

https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads.html

AAAAND if that doesn't work, contact Tom or liljim

I'm going to have to conclude, at least in this particular case, it isn't Newgrounds-specific, as Flash now no longer seems to work on any site.

And I am latest version of Firefox and Flash plugin, although Firefox did do a recent update, so maybe that update broke Flash?

Anyone else having any problems where you can't view Flash content anymore, and you use Firefox?

It's annoying because both Firefox and Chrome seem to be breaking things lately, but what exactly they break or how to work around it differs.

Response to Flash games no longer work in Firef 2017-10-06 10:28:34

At 10/4/17 08:03 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Anyone else having any problems where you can't view Flash content anymore, and you use Firefox?

I'm using the latest version of FireFox myself, and Flash seems to be working fine. Could it be that you're trying particular submissions hard-coded for HTTP, that don't work after the switch to HTTPS? Or other browser plugins that have an issue with the change?

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Flash games no longer work in Firef 2017-10-07 19:56:05

At 10/6/17 10:28 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 10/4/17 08:03 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Anyone else having any problems where you can't view Flash content anymore, and you use Firefox?
I'm using the latest version of FireFox myself, and Flash seems to be working fine. Could it be that you're trying particular submissions hard-coded for HTTP, that don't work after the switch to HTTPS? Or other browser plugins that have an issue with the change?

Nah it's unrelated to that, although that can cause other, different problems, yes. I'm having the same problem on all other Flash sites (not just Newgrounds) so it's just Firefox and Flash on my end then.

Could be I just gotta wait it out and some future update fixes it or who knows. I use Linux so the features aren't 100% between the Firefoxes on the different OSes, although they're pretty close most of the time.

Could be too it'd work if I downloaded/used a 32-bit version of Firefox with the 32-bit Flash plugin rather than my 64-bit version of Firefox with the 64-bit Flash plugin. Regardless in this case it seems to be on my end and not Newgrounds, but it could potentially affect other people as well.

Response to Flash games no longer work in Firef 2017-10-07 23:43:23

I'm having the same deal with Opera, but it's telling me my plugin is outdated. I just select to run it anyway. The problem sounds like Flash itself.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash games no longer work in Firef 2017-10-08 14:21:03

At 10/7/17 07:56 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Could be too it'd work if I downloaded/used a 32-bit version of Firefox with the 32-bit Flash plugin rather than my 64-bit version of Firefox with the 64-bit Flash plugin. Regardless in this case it seems to be on my end and not Newgrounds, but it could potentially affect other people as well.

I'm using 64-bit versions of both of them too, so doesn't seem like 64-bit is an issue... unless it's different for Linux in particular, of course. Good to know it's not a local issue anyway. Hope it gets fixed soon.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash games no longer work in Firef 2017-10-08 16:30:07

At 10/8/17 02:21 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 10/7/17 07:56 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Could be too it'd work if I downloaded/used a 32-bit version of Firefox with the 32-bit Flash plugin rather than my 64-bit version of Firefox with the 64-bit Flash plugin. Regardless in this case it seems to be on my end and not Newgrounds, but it could potentially affect other people as well.
I'm using 64-bit versions of both of them too, so doesn't seem like 64-bit is an issue... unless it's different for Linux in particular, of course. Good to know it's not a local issue anyway. Hope it gets fixed soon.

...and it's working now, so I dunno what the deal was.

I do make sure to be as specific as possible, and I do state when it's something on my end (and not Newgrounds) but still could be potential problems other people could also have (obviously if they use the same software).

I do know there's some problems on the 64-bit Flash stuff that the 32-bit Flash supposedly doesn't suffer (for example various "wrong wmode" errors). Also I can't right-click without it crashing, in the 64-bit Flash plugin in Firefox anyway (and I think this also is supposed not to be an issue on the 32-bit Flash plugin and 32-bit Firefox)

Problem is it's people aren't taking Flash as seriously anymore, so they keep introducing all these bugs they don't care to fix, and some of which have been known about for a few years now even.

Be nice if we had a (good) reimplementation of Flash in JavaScript or something, to not be at the mercy of random browser updates breaking Flash now and again. Also Firefox will pull NPAPI entirely at some point (right now it only allows it for Flash and it's pulled for everything else), and who knows how long Chrome will support their Pepper Flash.

Could go the way of Shockwave (*.dcr) and Java Applet (*.jar, *.class) web browser games at some point, where the plugins aren't supported anymore (at least in most browsers) and any web games using those become unplayable going forward.

Also it would be smart of anyone using Unity to export to HTML5 and *not* use the *.unity3d web player plugin format.

But that still leaves Flash content (*.swf, *.swc, *.swz) vulnerable as there's not really any export from Flash to HTML5 option is there? swc or swz may seem weird to you, but some "swf" files are actually misnamed swc or swz files and all three are valid Flash files. Easy way to tell is look at the first byte of the file -- if it's C it's a swc file, and if it's Z it's a swz file (and F is swf).

Response to Flash games no longer work in Firef 2017-10-08 17:12:53

THE APOCALYPSE IS EARLY

Nah but seems like it's just a problem on your end, hope you got it fixed in the end

Response to Flash games no longer work in Firef 2017-10-09 03:47:50

At 10/8/17 04:30 PM, NeonSpider wrote: ...and it's working now, so I dunno what the deal was.

Good to hear! Though weird indeed.

Also I can't right-click without it crashing, in the 64-bit Flash plugin in Firefox anyway (and I think this also is supposed not to be an issue on the 32-bit Flash plugin and 32-bit Firefox)

That sounds like another maybe OS-specific bug? I've never had any right-click problems either!

Problem is it's people aren't taking Flash as seriously anymore; there's not really any export from Flash to HTML5 option is there? swc or swz may seem weird to you, but some "swf" files are actually misnamed swc or swz files and all three are valid Flash files. Easy way to tell is look at the first byte of the file -- if it's C it's a swc file, and if it's Z it's a swz file (and F is swf).

That's true, and interesting to know about the extension! As far as I can remember I've only seen SWF, and the ShockWave format... which would be SWF, wouldn't it? I wonder what the link between the two really is, since the extension name's derived from the other, now unsupported format...

As for ways to convert Flash to HTML5, there are actually a few tools for that, most notably Google's Swiffy and Mozilla's Shumway (though both no longer actively supported). Flash CS6 can export as HTML5 too. I've never tried either, but the latter sounds like the best option, as long as you still have source files you'd then be able to port anything from any older version of Flash.

BBS Signature