00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I miss the music visualizer...

1,036 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I miss the music visualizer... 2017-09-30 00:48:51

When I came back to listen to a song on NG I realized something.

I kind of liked being able to watch a piece of software react to sound input. It's strangely relaxing.

But unfortunately now that's gone. The new music UI also looks a bit like Soundcloud's so I kind of wish there was something added to spice things up a bit.

I dunno, I just wish I could bring that back. It also might give NG a nice touch over Soundcloud.

Response to I miss the music visualizer... 2017-10-01 00:04:52

I miss it to.

Response to I miss the music visualizer... 2017-10-04 03:35:16

Yeah but for me this way the music loads more quickly.

Response to I miss the music visualizer... 2017-10-04 06:08:47

You can still see it in playlists. Although I do miss the spinning disc with the album art.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to I miss the music visualizer... 2017-10-04 11:33:11

i miss it to

Response to I miss the music visualizer... 2017-10-04 11:44:26

I don't like the new player at all. It doesn't load quicker for me, more like the opposite. I can't tell the second from it, which is annoying, and very unhelpful for say reviewing. I liked the visualizer, and the spinning discs. For a while the playlists didn't work either!

I really hope this is just some kind of temporary thing. I have yet to check if the loop algorithm is the same/worse/improved.
I think it would be nice to have an option, in the very least.

Response to I miss the music visualizer... 2017-10-04 14:39:31

wait that's gone now?

just call me "Jay", thanks.

ask me questions i guess

Profile Image by https://twitter.com/Momochii_art

Response to I miss the music visualizer... 2017-10-04 21:23:07

You're right. I personally believe that the people behind ng seem to care more about the game and movie portal than they do about the art audio portals. Just my 2 cents.

That makes sense. Movies and games are pretty much what this site is known for. Music and art is fun but i guess theres not as much demand for it :/

normalgeist-villsvin

Art - Music - Podcast

Response to I miss the music visualizer... 2017-10-05 11:36:33

At 10/4/17 05:35 PM, BoxerBraydog wrote:
Where have you been?

I don't use this site anymore lol

just call me "Jay", thanks.

ask me questions i guess

Profile Image by https://twitter.com/Momochii_art

Response to I miss the music visualizer... 2017-10-05 11:58:52

At 10/5/17 12:03 AM, Mr-Stuff-Guy wrote: I was wondering what happened to it. How come it was removed?

There was an issue with the player so they nuked it and replaced it with an *cough*inferior*cough* alternative

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

At 10/5/17 11:58 AM, Gimmick wrote: There was an issue with the player so they nuked it and replaced it with an *cough*inferior*cough* alternative

An issue other than it being made in Flash?

Unless there's anything security-related with it, it would be awesome if they could at least keep it as an alternative for those who prefer it over the new. Simple account settings toggle between HTML5/Flash. Even after the new player catches up with the features of the previous (I hope): great nostalgia perk.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to I miss the music visualizer... 2017-10-06 10:55:35

At 10/6/17 10:26 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 10/5/17 11:58 AM, Gimmick wrote: There was an issue with the player so they nuked it and replaced it with an *cough*inferior*cough* alternative
An issue other than it being made in Flash?

It stopped working due to the change to HTTPS. And Flash is insecure, but this new HTML5 player is so much worse at playing audio, somehow. Unlike the previous player which managed to run smoothly on my craptop (esp. if I turned visualizations off), this one always stutters whenever I do any task, even something like scrolling down, and there are no visualisations, no time markers, nothing. I don't think it's a browser limitation because the Youtube HTML5 player doesn't have that problem on my system.

So yeah, you can see why I'd label it an inferior alternative. While I don't know anything about HTML5 development, I sure do know that it can be done better than this.

BBS Signature

Response to I miss the music visualizer... 2017-10-06 13:56:21

At 10/6/17 10:55 AM, Gimmick wrote: It stopped working due to the change to HTTPS. And Flash is insecure, but this new HTML5 player is so much worse at playing audio, somehow. Unlike the previous player which managed to run smoothly on my craptop (esp. if I turned visualizations off), this one always stutters whenever I do any task, even something like scrolling down, and there are no visualisations, no time markers, nothing. I don't think it's a browser limitation because the Youtube HTML5 player doesn't have that problem on my system.

So yeah, you can see why I'd label it an inferior alternative. While I don't know anything about HTML5 development, I sure do know that it can be done better than this.

Ah, good to know.

As for the performance, I've had similar issues with the very-similarly-looking SoundCloud player, so maybe there's some common denominator there... they have the same kind of waveform display, at least. Do hope they keep working with this one.

BBS Signature

Response to I miss the music visualizer... 2017-11-01 14:15:07

At 10/6/17 01:56 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: As for the performance, I've had similar issues with the very-similarly-looking SoundCloud player, so maybe there's some common denominator there... they have the same kind of waveform display, at least.

Try out the performance of the Audio Jungle one, I'm thinking it will be different... (I found it to load extremely fast too. Perhaps their audio is of a very low quality to load so fast.) But you got to search for something though, like this https://audiojungle.net/search/house because their tiny player that's seen on the homepage is a disaster.

At 11/1/17 02:15 PM, ThePhenomenon wrote: Try out the performance of the Audio Jungle one, I'm thinking it will be different... (I found it to load extremely fast too. Perhaps their audio is of a very low quality to load so fast.) But you got to search for something though, like this https://audiojungle.net/search/house because their tiny player that's seen on the homepage is a disaster.

Loads immediately - and not just one waveform per page but a big selection of them. Both those and the tracks load instantly as I scroll/play. Considering there's no lag with the browser I assume it's thanks to the script too, not just server speed. Very nice!

Seems like something worth taking after if possible.

BBS Signature

Response to I miss the music visualizer... 2017-11-02 14:16:38

At 11/1/17 02:58 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Seems like something worth taking after if possible.

Perhaps @TomFulp should see this.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to I miss the music visualizer... 2017-11-03 08:30:02

At 11/1/17 02:58 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 11/1/17 02:15 PM, ThePhenomenon wrote: Try out the performance of the Audio Jungle one, I'm thinking it will be different... (I found it to load extremely fast too. Perhaps their audio is of a very low quality to load so fast.) But you got to search for something though, like this https://audiojungle.net/search/house because their tiny player that's seen on the homepage is a disaster.
Loads immediately - and not just one waveform per page but a big selection of them. Both those and the tracks load instantly as I scroll/play. Considering there's no lag with the browser I assume it's thanks to the script too, not just server speed. Very nice!

Seems like something worth taking after if possible.

The current player is waiting for the entire song to load so it can generate the wave form. An update is in progress where all the wave forms are pre-generated so songs will play instantly like they did before. The new player will also have the missing features such as time and volume. The upcoming update is addressing a bunch of other audio-related quirks around the site, will hopefully be done soon, sorry it has been as long as it has been.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

At 11/3/17 08:30 AM, TomFulp wrote: The current player is waiting for the entire song to load so it can generate the wave form. An update is in progress where all the wave forms are pre-generated so songs will play instantly like they did before. The new player will also have the missing features such as time and volume. The upcoming update is addressing a bunch of other audio-related quirks around the site, will hopefully be done soon, sorry it has been as long as it has been.

Awesome news. :) Sounds like it'll be just as good as the above, and the previous, albeit without all those flashy visualizations that now in retrospect really were pretty cool to have around... think I'll miss the spinning disc the most though. Having a custom cover image spin along with the song made it feel like the real deal somehow. Hope all of that might come back at some point...

BBS Signature

Response to I miss the music visualizer... 2017-11-04 01:18:21

At 11/3/17 09:06 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Having a custom cover image spin along with the song made it feel like the real deal somehow. Hope all of that might come back at some point...

That sounds easier to implement than the whole waveform shtick tbh

BBS Signature

Response to I miss the music visualizer... 2017-11-04 05:21:15

At 11/4/17 01:18 AM, Gimmick wrote: That sounds easier to implement than the whole waveform shtick tbh

Yeah it doesn't sound impossible. I hope! :D

BBS Signature

Response to I miss the music visualizer... 2017-11-04 05:25:01

At 11/4/17 05:21 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 11/4/17 01:18 AM, Gimmick wrote: That sounds easier to implement than the whole waveform shtick tbh
Yeah it doesn't sound impossible. I hope! :D

I mean it's just a rotating image, how hard could that be?

4 years later...

BBS Signature

Response to I miss the music visualizer... 2017-11-04 07:33:03

At 11/4/17 05:25 AM, Gimmick wrote: I mean it's just a rotating image, how hard could that be?
4 years later...

If all it takes if four years!! :D I'll be waiting right here in the foyer.

BBS Signature