00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MutantZulu81241 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How to make Spyro awesome again!

841 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

So, here's my idea: A Spyro game that would basically play like the classic titles on the surface. However, the gimmick of this entry is that the levels are actually divided into segments, each playable using a different character. Aside from Spyro himself, you'll play as Hunter, Bentley and Sheila, each change marked by a special beacon activated by the triangle button.
Story: The story itself is as simple as it could possibly get. A mysterious entity known only as the Ancient King is enroaching upon the realms and Spyro, somewhat hesitantly tagged along with Hunter, Bentley and Sheila as well, is tasked with finding special artefacts known only as the Crystal Cores. These Crystal Cores are said to allow passage to Ancient King's realm. Sensing an opportunity to kick some butt again, he once again departs on a grand adventure. However, he naturally won't be without opposition and there will cultists on his way, determined to stop Spyro and co. from collecting all of the Cores in order to stop the Ancient King on his tracks.

Characters:
Spyro: The hero himself. He once again glides, jumps and flames around the levels. Being basically the only hero capable of swimming, riding whirlwinds and activating power-up gates can make him quite versatile. Also tends to question about the true nature of the Ancient King a lot but that's an another matter entirely.
Hunter: The cheetah with attitude, this eager feline has swapped his iconic bow and arrow set with a crossbow, ready to show those cultists to not mess with his friends. Wth his trusty crossbow, he's able to hit distant targets with ease. Additionally, he's able to use his quick speed to his advantage, being able to go against fast moving conveyor belts for example and leaping in order to grab protruding objects on the walls and ceilings.

Bentley: The powerhouse of the team, this educated, fur covered master of the mountain enters the fray with his trusty club, handy for smashing any determined cultist barring his way to paste. His strengh is useful for moving heavy objects around as well as destroying walls that other characters cannot break.

Sheila: This smart talking, eager kangaroo from the alps (NOT the down under so don't ask) is ready to use her massive feets and strong arms to her advantage. Being a kangaroo, she's able to jump stupenduously high and her strong arms (fore-legs) can pack quite a punch. She's also flexible enough to perform a version of Spyro's Horn Dive move.

Well, there you have it. Quite a crew, huh? Now, as mentioned before, levels are typically divided into separate sections, each tailored towards a particular characters. So, let's say you've been playing as Bentley for a while. You'll come across a ledge too high for him to reach. That's your cue to change over to Sheila and indeed there's usually a Beacon nearby that lets you do just that. However, it's usually worth it to go back just in case there's a hidden area or something that your currect character can now access for goodies. An iconic example occurs in one of the early levels. There's a watery segment about halfway through and there's a somewhat conspicuous looking locked door placed at the wall. Surfacing on the other side, there's a Beacon that switches Spyro with Sheila as this is now her segment. However, high jumping on one of the pillars in the room reveals a hidden floor switch. Activating that drains all the water of the pool you've just been in as Spyro. Entering the now empty pool with Sheila and activating the floor switch there lets you access the now opened secret area. Typically these hidden areas would maybe contain a few enemies alongside a Crystal Core.
Well, that's all for now. Got any question? Feel free to ask away!

Response to How to make Spyro awesome again! 2017-10-03 00:52:18

Switching characters on the fly just doesn't feel like Spyro. It sounds more like a puzzle platformer. While a DK64-esque character switching mechanic would make things less stale, levels would still need to be accommodated for all playable characters. So I just don't see it working out.

The animal buddies in Spyro 3 had only one level of their own and it was the level they were introduced in. In this hypothetical Spyro game I think we should branch out on that.

Let's say you're in a sewer world. There's an important item behind a high-pressure pipe that's pumping out gallons and gallons of toxic waste, making it impossible to reach. The sewer could branch out into several different paths and at the end of each path is a valve; once all the valves are shut off you'll be able to get through the pipe.
Spyro could basically act as a vehicle to get to a certain point in each branch of the sewer; eventually you'd reach a point where an animal buddy shows up to grab hold of the reigns. Spyro would of course still be the main character and star of the show, but his buddies would be given more of a spotlight than what they were given before.

Furthermore, I'd say don't limit it to just Hunter, Sheila and Bentley. Throw the rest of the gang in there too. They don't all need equal spotlight. They just need to all play differently.

I'd be satisfied with just a Spyro remade trilogy. I'd buy a Hero's Tail remake day 1. A spiritual remake of the GBA games would be neat too. And heck, I'd give an Enter the Dragonfly remake a chance.

At 10/2/17 08:44 PM, BoxerBraydog wrote: This is actually a pretty good idea, man. However, I would change Bentley's name...I think the creators of bentley from the sly cooper series would take legal action or something stupid like that lol.

Bentley the Yeti was from the third Spyro game, dude. Not to mention Bentley isn't an uncommon name. They're more likely to be sued by the car company tbh.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to How to make Spyro awesome again! 2017-10-03 14:43:18

^ Chdonga

So, how's that any different from my proposition? Yes, levels with branching paths could be an option here and yes, my proposition is just that and might need perfection if it ever reaches planning stages. The important thing to note is that once you switch characters, the previous section of a level will become inaccessible using your new characters barring a short backtrack or 2. The level I posted would be good example of what I'm after here.

Response to How to make Spyro awesome again! 2017-10-06 00:07:55

At 10/5/17 05:03 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote: Sounds like you just pitched year of the dragon with different collectibles.

The difference's here that in Year of the Dragon, the extra playable characters were only found in their own separate section of the levels, entered through a bonus portal. Here, the levels themselves are divided into sections playable by certain characters if that makes sense to you and this switching is in fact mandatory in order to reach the goal.

Response to How to make Spyro awesome again! 2017-10-06 11:14:56

At 10/6/17 02:06 AM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
At 10/6/17 12:07 AM, BronzeHeart92 wrote:
Here, the levels themselves are divided into sections playable by certain characters if that makes sense to you and this switching is in fact mandatory in order to reach the goal.
So donkey kong 64 with spyro characters then?

I suppose yes. Except this one obviously isn't stuffed with various collectibles. Well, there's obviously the crystal cores but that's basically it.

Response to How to make Spyro awesome again! 2017-10-23 04:45:46

I think the way to make Spyro awesome again is to not make him look how he has looked currently. That's a start, at least.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature