00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FloofGaming just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

N G A D M Semifinals 2017

5,340 Views | 76 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to N G A D M Semifinals 2017 2017-10-01 23:01:35

At 10/1/17 10:49 PM, steelside wrote: Alright, moment of truth for me.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/768190

Welcome to the Semifinals arena! Vincit omnia veritas.

oh hey ethansight how's that song coming along?

isnt the deadline soon?

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

That was...... close. I can't believe I let johnfn go through this stress the other times! Well here it is, in the key of 9 o clock!
Just gotta think of a different title

At 10/1/17 11:59 PM, ethansight wrote: That was...... close. I can't believe I let johnfn go through this stress the other times! Well here it is, in the key of 9 o clock!
Just gotta think of a different title
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/768197

And there's our team! Fashionably arriving at the last possible minute, as always.

The final track of the round has an extra 72 hours (3 days) beyond the deadline to finish and submit, after which time the 10% penalty will become an instant disqualification. @etherealwinds knows the drill, and I'm sure that he will grace us with his presence as soon as may be.

Judging will commence in short order. @Bosa, @ADR3-N, @Samulis, @SkyeWint, and @TaintedLogic — time to put on our executioner's hoods and decide who gets to keep their head, and whose is going on the chopping block! Isn't democracy a beautiful thing?

At 10/2/17 12:09 AM, ChronoNomad wrote:
The final track of the round has an extra 72 hours (3 days) beyond the deadline to finish and submit, after which time the 10% penalty will become an instant disqualification. @etherealwinds knows the drill, and I'm sure that he will grace us with his presence as soon as may be.

Just woke up to this unfortunate piece of news. Might I ask, is the 10% penalty really necessary, if say Finn would be alright with giving EW an extension?
As the scribe, I'm getting kinda tired of writing about walkovers and the like, especially if they're preventable. And having compiled the averages for the last rounds, I know very well, just like all of you that 10% is insurmountable. I honestly don't see the difference between that, and a disqualification, nor do I see the need for a distinction between them :p

This late in the competition, it's just very lackluster if the finalists will be decided upon a technicality, and not a competition. Also, I seem to recall the judges mentioning there could be no changes to the rules in the midst of the competition. Well, curiously I also recall that late tracks were granted another chance earlier in the competition, nor have I heard of the 10% penatly earlier (and it's not listed in @ChronoNomad's post about the competition rules).

Thus, if it's a question of fairness and the spirit of the competition, would it not be more fun if the late track could be accepted, naturally only on @FinnMK's terms?

What do you others think? (Perhaps mainly the semifinalists/judging panel, to keep things small and relevant to the people involved).

At 10/2/17 01:24 AM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: What do you others think? (Perhaps mainly the semifinalists/judging panel, to keep things small and relevant to the people involved).

I'm perfectly okay with it, especially since @etherealwinds has stated he hasn't even started the piece that he will eventually submit. If he was using the additional time to finish a piece he already started, 10% would be understandable, but the circumstances don't look like that.

As LSD pointed out, if a penalty were to be applied, 10% seems exceptionally harsh. FinnMK scored over 9 on every song he's submitted, meaning that unless his recent track is his worst one by far*, etherealwinds loses immediately, even if he created the greatest song mankind had ever seen. That doesn't seem quite fair.

gimme ma deathmatch
i just wanna rematch jordi ok

* spoiler alert: its not.

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Having spoken at length with @etherealwinds on Discord, I have determined that his circumstances are indeed quite extenuating. Without going into too much detail, I would like to grant him a two-day extension without strings attached. Two days is the number that we arrived at during our conversation, and I want everyone here to respect that.

I am asking @FinnMK for his permission in this regard as his opponent. No more need be said beyond that. Thank you.

Response to N G A D M Semifinals 2017 2017-10-02 10:42:26

Permission granted. We fight on even grounds!

Response to N G A D M Semifinals 2017 2017-10-02 11:32:06

At 10/2/17 10:42 AM, FinnMK wrote: Permission granted. We fight on even grounds!

I applaud your tremendous sportsmanship, sir.

There you have it, folks! @etherealwinds has been granted a two-day reprieve. He has until tomorrow, 11:59pm EDT to complete his track and submit it to the thread. After that, the battle shall commence in earnest.

Response to N G A D M Semifinals 2017 2017-10-03 17:10:40

Sorry for the late submission, but here's my semi-final song. I wish everybody the best of luck.

BBS Signature

At 10/3/17 05:10 PM, etherealwinds wrote: Sorry for the late submission, but here's my semi-final song. I wish everybody the best of luck.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/768413

Welcome to the Semifinals! Everyone has gathered at last, so I'll go ahead and re-summon our Hands of Fate...

@Bosa, @ADR3-N, @Samulis, @SkyeWint, and @TaintedLogic! Every track is accounted for, so LET'S DO THIS!

And here's this round's playlist, too.

Response to N G A D M Semifinals 2017 2017-10-04 23:02:21

Just sitting here waiting on that @etherealwinds win...

Response to N G A D M Semifinals 2017 2017-10-04 23:22:20

At 10/4/17 11:02 PM, FinnMK wrote: Just sitting here waiting on that @etherealwinds win...

haha hush you :) @1f1n1ty has already placed his bets on you!

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M Semifinals 2017 2017-10-07 23:54:40

Just popping in here to let everyone know I'm done with the round of scores on my part. Someone, please poke me to release my reviews when the time is right. Past two rounds I lost about half of them when my laptop crashed right in the middle of typing them up. :/

But I will say it's been a great ride and a lot of good tunes!

music producer freebies // Januarylist // Februarylist // Take My Cymbals // Get ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M Semifinals 2017 2017-10-08 00:42:49

Holy shit these tracks are good.

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~Kermit the Frog

BBS Signature

At 10/7/17 11:54 PM, ADR3-N wrote: Someone, please poke me to release my reviews when the time is right.

Will do! I'll send you a quick PM once the results have been posted.

At 10/8/17 12:42 AM, TaintedLogic wrote: Holy shit these tracks are good.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

We are right on schedule, folks. Just a few more loose ends to tie up and we'll be good to go!

Response to N G A D M Semifinals 2017 2017-10-08 12:07:35

Did somebody say results?