00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Proximothegr81 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Day Dreamer: Psycho

411 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Day Dreamer: Psycho 2017-09-15 23:29:22

A dark haired boy stands at the cash register of a nearby fuel station staring out the window, his brown eyes not registering the sun beaming through, or the birds passing by. His features are illuminated by the Sun, his high cheek bones, his prominent chin and strong nose, but his eyes stare blankly. Glossed over.

The day had been slow and Mainichi Yumi had slipped away again. His daily duties falling away along with his sight. From this central space between his ears, the shelves of the store didn't exist, nor did the person fueling up their sports car outside. Mianichi loved slow days. The kind you could slip away from the waking world. The days when you could simply Day Dream.

A small flat screen plays in the background, unheard by Mainichi.

A news caster for the local metropolitan area is reporting on a string of recent comas, aneurysms, and dementia. Many of which had struck of the brightest scientists and politicians, among dozens of citizens. Notably, the politicians in question were ones opposing the advancement of science for various political and religious reasons. The scientists were some of psychologies brightest, as well as leading technology entrepreneurs.

News Anchor Female - "This year we have experienced a massive spike in cases of mental health related to comas and aneurysms. It seems that last years dementia and schizophrenia 'outbreak' may have just been the beginning of what could be a new trend in mental health disorders. The families of these victims report that their loved ones did not show any signs before the symptoms began, and several different families told us that the symptoms of dementia and psychosis were not present as early as the day before. For more information as to what may be causing this recent trend, we go to neurologist professor at the state university.

The screen cuts to a middle aged man with a white button up. His beard dark and his hair unkempt.

Neurologist - "I have attempted to see the autopsy reports to little avail. It seems whatever is truly going on in this city may be being covered up. The recent string of comas, aneurysms, and other neurological conditions are not normal for adults in this age range. I have been told from an inside informant that parts of the brain have turned to mush as if cooked in a microwave. I believe something else is causing these symptoms, perhaps climate change, or chemical warfare we have yet to experience. I'm not certain as to the true cause but I know the government is covering it up! This political climate stifling scientific growth is what's to blame! The politicians in po-"

The screen cuts back to the news anchor shuffling papers.

News Anchor Female - "In other news, an up and coming entrepreneur is making waves in the business sector with his insight into technologies that will shape the future. Brokers are counting on him as every investment in the past few years he's suggested has led to massive returns. Find out more about this business mogul tonight at 6."

Response to Day Dreamer: Psycho 2017-09-19 21:53:51

Fingers snap twice.
"HEY ASSHOLE! Are you going to ring me up or not?!" A female voice cuts through Manichi's day dream of building a plane on the road outside and taking off.

Manichi shakes his head, coming back to reality. "Huh? Oh yea, sorry it's been pretty slow today. Guess I zoned out." He slowly brings his stare up from the counter as he grabs the Arizona tea and 3 Musketeers bar to scan.

The girl in front of him is familiar, possibly from his campus. She has soft cheeks with dark hair, she may have dyed a purple into it but the color only showed when the light touched it. A band t-shirt, blue jeans and a purple hoodie gave her a punk rocker look that was only accentuated by her stern gaze and pursed lips. The look was one that people in a hurry tend to have, but on her it said she didn't have time to even care.

Manichi's paused for a second before he recognised who she was. "Hey you're in my Advanced Psychology AP course! You gave that presentation on Prosopagnosia last week. Sorry I can't remember names very well, it's...Mary?" He scanned the last item with a beep.

The girl paused, her stern face loosening slightly in realization that Mainichi was in fact a fellow class mate. "Yea, my name's Mary Ainsworth, and for the record I only did Prosopagnosia because our professor wouldn't let me do Lucid Dreaming. Bitch said there wasn't any scientific basis or study in it." Her lip snarled slightly.

"Well you did awesome. I knew it was about facial recognition but man, you really blew it out of the park with that case study. It made me realize how crazy it would be living with someone like that." Manichi trailed off seeing a shift in Mary's body language. "Um, sorry. I don't want to hold you up. Your total is $3.19."

Mary seemed to be reminiscing something when he told her the total and she gently shook her head, as if shaking away a memory. She pulled a crumpled wad of dollars from her pocket and paid. Gathering her things in the plastic fuel station bag and turning to leave she stopped. "Hey, be careful day dreaming so much. You might get lost in there and not come back." She opened the door to the outside which let out an electronic chime overhead.

Outside is a recent model red sports car being fueled by a clean cut middle aged business man in a grey suit. Smoke drifts from a cigarette hanging from his mouth. He eyes Mary and smirks. It's the kind of smirk a shark would give someone swimming in the ocean, as if to say "I could eat you alive." Mary walks the other way towards the sidewalk with a look of disgust.

Response to Day Dreamer: Psycho 2017-09-20 23:19:33

The man outside ogles Mary until she turns off to another block down the sidewalk, with a click of the fuel pump handle he flicks his cigarette. Putting the pump handle back, he let's out a sigh. "It's good to be rich, but I would ruin her." He smiles wickedly again and turns towards the fuel station.

Manichi ogles the car with a look of wonder when the door-bell chimes. Dee-Doo. As the man saunters to the counter, Manichi doesn't hesitate to ask, "What do you do and how do I do it?!" The man smiles, noticing Manichi's interest in the car and replies, "Oh that thing? That's just a fun toy I play with when I need to get out of the office. The real fun though happens at my business firm. Wake Industries."

Manichi's eyes light up as he realises who he's talking to. "Holy, you're Mensch Butzemann! Wow, I don't want to sound like a fan boy but you're awesome. How do you know what technology is going to profit?!"

Mensch smiled again, a wave of stone face covering his true expression. "I guess you just have to know the right people." He swiped his platinum credit card with the definitive schlick of a guillotine. "Speaking of which, do you know that girl who just left? I'd love to get to know her." His eyes were focused on Manichi, reading every movement of the boy's body language.

Manichi was good at faking reality daily, and felt this would be a good time to use this skill. He cocked his head to the side and looked puzzled. "I wish, I don't even have time for a girlfriend but if I did..." He bared his own devilish smile. If he knew her, sure he'd be romantic, but he'd also do all the dirtiest things he'd seen online.

Mensch ponders Manichi for a second, sharing in the implications of the boy's statement before letting out a sigh. "Ah well, perhaps I'll see her around. You take care, and check out our website if you're interested. Sometimes we hire interns." The dashing business man pivoted on his heal and headed for the door. Not stopping for a second before firmly closing the fire red door to his sports car.

As the car pulled away, Manichi breathed a sigh of relief. "I'm a good person right?" He said.

Response to Day Dreamer: Psycho 2018-05-23 23:39:34

Later that night Manichi sat in front of his computer, hunched over and breathing heavily.
An audible slurp is heard as Mary looks up at him from under the desk. Drool glistening from her to him in the illumination of the screen.

"Are you ok? That was an awfully big load Manichi-kun, have you been saving up for me?" She says with a look of drunken lust from his pheromones. "I'll admit, I didn't think a boy like you would last that long, but alas maybe I should go..."

Manichi pants one last time and rapidly shakes his head to and fro, clenching his fists. When he opens his eyes, Mary is gone, another figment of his imagination running wild.

As he pulls up his pants and slips a spent condom off into the trash, the computer screen shows Wake Industry's "Career" page up and mostly filled out. Manichi had stopped at the last question: "Why do you want to intern at Wake Industries?". He could have quoted the business mission statement "To bring waking life to new heights through technology and innovation." but it seemed too cliche. He could have quoted Mark's interview where he said "I've always dreamt big, and since creating Wake Industries, I can finally share my dreams with the World." but in truth, the answer was simple and naive. Manichi took a breath, typed "I want to see where my dreams take me." and pressed submit.

The screen refreshed, momentarily going white within the browser.

"Application processed!"
"Expect a response within 7 days."

Manichi's heart pounded slightly in his chest. If for some reason he was accepted as an intern, even as a 'Gopher' as in go-fer coffee, he would be able to quit the fuel station and maybe someday be rich. Yea that would be the day.
He leaned back in his chair placing his hands behind his head.

Mary stood in the doorway in a sheer nightgown which draped over her hips. "What's wrong trailblazer? Feeling a bit anxious? Maybe I could help with that, if you have anything left that is." She saunters over to him as he swivels his computer chair towards her, unzipping his pants.

7 days.