00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kkolo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Collapsed lung=psych Dx

1,027 Views | 17 Replies

Collapsed lung=psych Dx 2017-09-12 10:55:43

Oh, hello there Newgrounders.

I didn't see you there.

I bet you don't know what this topic is going to be about.

So my and old friend of mine got pneumonia and collapsed a lung.

Serious business, sure, but nothing a hospital stay can't fix, right?

HAHAHAHAHAHA

You mean a medical jail facility?

So he's in there, and they put a tube in his lung to drain the fluid. He says "I would like to poop in the bathroom please. It's right over there"

The orderly goes "Here's a bedpan"
"You know what, that's fine. I'll just hold it"

So he waits for the nurse to leave, disconnects the tube to his chest, and walks to the toilet.

You know, like a human who can still control their bodily functions and has some dignity.

But in medical jail facility, you don't get dignity.

"Sir, your refusal to obey my medical orders shows you lack insight into the severity of your illness. I'm adding a diagnosis of "Oppositiona/Defiant Disorder" to your chart, and am prescribing you some psychotropic drugs to make you more compliant"

"I'd rather not take any drugs. I just want to breathe"

*Dr to nurse* (Crank up the suction. He'll beg us for meds when he starts hurting)

"Oh god my fucking lungs, fine, I'll take your goddamn dope"

"Good. If you didn't I was going to write you up as suicidally non-compliant and lock you in the ward"

My buddies still not out, either. He's been in there for a week, and when he tries to leave he says they send security to haul him back.

They've had him locked down for about a week, no joke.

No punchline, either.

If you end up in the hospital, kiss your freedom goodbye. It's worse than being in jail.
You commit a crime, you can get that off your record. They write you up as suicidal for not obeying their orders, you can lose your kids.

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature

Response to Collapsed lung=psych Dx 2017-09-12 10:57:15

but what if u have cancer tho?

Response to Collapsed lung=psych Dx 2017-09-12 11:01:25

At 9/12/17 10:57 AM, ClocknBallz wrote: but what if u have cancer tho?

Don't get me started on chemo.

That shit is the devil.

I honestly believe they use chemo to kill off cancer patients so they don't linger.

BBS Signature

Response to Collapsed lung=psych Dx 2017-09-12 11:04:30

At 9/12/17 11:01 AM, FUNKbrs wrote:
At 9/12/17 10:57 AM, ClocknBallz wrote: but what if u have cancer tho?
Don't get me started on chemo.

That shit is the devil.

I honestly believe they use chemo to kill off cancer patients so they don't linger.

ha dying people go bald.

Response to Collapsed lung=psych Dx 2017-09-12 12:58:04

We should seriously start to let suicidal people just be suicidal. They're not hurting anyone but themselves, so how is it anyone else's business?

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Collapsed lung=psych Dx 2017-09-12 17:00:06

At 9/12/17 02:10 PM, Sekhem wrote:
At 9/12/17 01:56 PM, Zornuzkull wrote:
At 9/12/17 01:51 PM, Sekhem wrote:
At 9/12/17 01:46 PM, Zornuzkull wrote: letting the mentally ill kill themselves off sounds like the right wing thing to do... am i wrong?
what right wing? a fantasy one that isn't religious/faith-based?
you know you dont have to be religious to be right wing right?
you don't, but name a prominent atheist in the gop - a single one

He's got a point. Although, there's a lot of Religious In Name Only republicans knocking around right now. Republicans kind of need religion to reign in their sociopathic economic policies.

Funny how they never want to raise taxes, but are all about paying huge tithes to go towards (supposedly) ministering to the needy.

it's been a long time since those rand/goldwater (they were both shunned pretty hardcore/embraced only by the jewish side of the gop like greenspan anyways) days

I think this is the main reason the Right doesn't want to fund healthcare: most of them could easily be pinned with a mental illness if universal mental health screening was funded.

Hillary's "Soft Power" concept was basically to overtly track "the mentally ill" via online surveillance and universal mental heath screening, so many Republicans held their nose for Trump.

The whole "Soft Power" strategy was extra creepy when you look up the details of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Collapsed lung=psych Dx 2017-09-12 19:22:32

wow, Funk, there are so many questions to ask about this.

First, it looks like an original composition on your part, but some things just don't add up.

You and your medically detained friend are in what country?

If it's the US, we have this thing called Informed Consent, which means a medical professional can give you any number of medications IF IT WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE, EVEN IF YOU CAN'T CONSENT AT THE MOMENT.

Think cardiac arrest, et cetera.

Second, provisions of the same act allow yourself to DECLINE ANY AND ALL MEDICATION AND/OR TREATMENT, which means your story about your buddy is pretty much BS, if it happened in the US.

Unless you're under a psychological hold which has been verified by law enforcement, you can refuse any treatment and can, in fact, check yourself out of a hospital even in your doctor doesn't recommend it.

It's called an "AMA self discharge," with AMA meaning Against Medical Advice.

So, what's the real story here? Did you or your buddy do or say something that would have caused health care professionals to worry about his state of mind?

If so, just admit to it.

Otherwise, stop painting going to the hospital as some fictional dark novella -- when you do that kind of shit, you can potentially scare younger folks to remain sick when the need treatment.

Threads to remember: Dickneck, Penicorns, SirTom93's School Incident, and EyeLovePoozy's thread about his job.

Response to Collapsed lung=psych Dx 2017-09-13 09:49:02

At 9/12/17 01:46 PM, Zornuzkull wrote: letting the mentally ill kill themselves off sounds like the right wing thing to do... am i wrong?

No, a right wing person would want to kill the mentally ill him/herself, and not let them rob him/her of that pleasure by committing suicide.

I believe that life is a right, and so is death.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Collapsed lung=psych Dx 2017-09-13 10:04:36

At 9/13/17 09:51 AM, MPPlantOfficial wrote: Speaking of which, didn't you create a thread back then saying you were gonna kill yourself that day?

I tried and failed. Waiting for a chance to do it again.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Collapsed lung=psych Dx 2017-09-13 10:27:35

At 9/12/17 07:22 PM, rottenray wrote: wow, Funk, there are so many questions to ask about this.

First, it looks like an original composition on your part, but some things just don't add up.

I have many short comings, but I feel I'm morally above copypasta

You and your medically detained friend are in what country?

The US

If it's the US, we have this thing called Informed Consent, which means a medical professional can give you any number of medications IF IT WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE, EVEN IF YOU CAN'T CONSENT AT THE MOMENT.

Think cardiac arrest, et cetera.

This is true, and used to justify involuntary psych treatment.

Second, provisions of the same act allow yourself to DECLINE ANY AND ALL MEDICATION AND/OR TREATMENT, which means your story about your buddy is pretty much BS, if it happened in the US.

You're about to post the exception. You know the truth as well as I do.

Unless you're under a psychological hold
So, what's the real story here? Did you or your buddy do or say something that would have caused health care professionals to worry about his state of mind?

Seems you already know it. If you attempt to check yourself out AMA for an illness, and the doc believes this to be somewhat suicidal, he'll slap a suicidal Dx on you to force you back into treatment for whatever illness you're refusing treatment for.

There's a psych Dx called "Oppositional/Defiant Disorder," which is the one they used against my friend. "Anosognosia" is another one they use against patients all the time. That one means you lack insight into the severity of your illness as a symptom of your illness. It was designed to describe injuries to the corpus callosum that result in seen objects in different eyes not resulting in recognition in different sides of the brain, but is now used against drug addicts who can't tell they're on drugs.

Most elderly patients have non-compliance issues simply as a matter of autonomy and power. Doctors generally assume patients will be noncompliant and have to be forced into treatment; there's no presumption of cooperation. Psych Dx's were pretty much tailored for use against the chronically ill to enforce compliance. For example, I commonly see in the medical record cases in which a patient with hypertension is non-compliant with heart meds. The Dr. considers not taking this medication to be self-harm, as it could result in a deadly or disabling stroke. In many examples the chronically ill patient actually does want to hurry up and die, and is justifiably depressed about being ill and dying. Dr. uses this depression psych Dx to justify an involuntary hold, and thus involuntary treatment.

If so, just admit to it.

Drs HATE when you pull your IV out. They're not easy to set up, and you can really hurt yourself if you're too rough. Pulling out your IV is also a common reaction to waking up in a hospital confused after being unconscious. He pulled his lung drainage tube out. He might have pulled his IV out too and didn't tell me.

He was also totally trying to sneak out for a cigarette while hospitalized for pneumonia. Nothing drives a doctor up the wall like smokers with lung problems who won't stop smoking. Normally they slap a nicotine patch on you. However, after three days I could see the appeal of absconding.

Otherwise, stop painting going to the hospital as some fictional dark novella -- when you do that kind of shit, you can potentially scare younger folks to remain sick when the need treatment.

I think the illusion that doctors can fix what's wrong with you is much more harmful than the truth that doctors are too busy worrying about paying off student loans and the price of malpractice insurance to give a shit about individual patients.

I'd much rather people find this out over the internet from a guy who works in medical billing than in the hospital realizing that not only will they not ever get well, but that they've also bankrupted themselves on diagnostic testing for diseases that can't be cured even if they were diagnosed.

There is no feeling in the world like being sick and scared for your life and finding out the doctor you've trusted to fix it can't, and wouldn't have an interest in curing you even if he could.

The doctors themselves have so little faith in their own abilities they build morgues in the basements of hospitals.

BBS Signature

Response to Collapsed lung=psych Dx 2017-09-13 12:16:20

At 9/13/17 12:00 PM, Zornuzkull wrote:
At 9/13/17 09:49 AM, DamnedByFate wrote: I believe that life is a right, and so is death.
euthanasia is topic for another day...

It's never too soon.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj2yJTAx6LWAhXFOCYKHYK4Bc8QtwIIMDAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymotion.com%2Fvideo%2Fxnu340_terry-pratchett-choosing-to-die_shortfilms&usg=AFQjCNH4vmcyDZC5i1Pd3MgfqmYEKDY4SQ

BBS Signature

Response to Collapsed lung=psych Dx 2017-09-13 13:00:28

At 9/13/17 12:24 PM, MemeFiend wrote:
At 9/12/17 07:22 PM, rottenray wrote:
Funk has got some deep-seated issues with doctors. He can't even handle getting novocaine at the dentist. I call bullshit until he gives us some proof.

Relevant.

At 9/13/17 12:42 PM, Sekhem wrote:
At 9/12/17 05:00 PM, FUNKbrs wrote:
single politicians don't precipitate change on that level in the u.s., so the rare 1/1000 libertarian who snuck into the gop and blew loads into his copy of atlas shrugged isn't going to mean shit

I don't know, GOP went from being the part of Abolition to the party of segregation in the 70's

BBS Signature

Response to Collapsed lung=psych Dx 2017-09-13 15:03:40

Remind me never to go to Tennessee. And especially never to get sick or injured. The healthcare system in Tennessee sounds fucking horrifying.
Luckily I live in more civilized part of the country, where I have never seen a patient not be able to sign themselves out AMA. Nary a once.

Response to Collapsed lung=psych Dx 2017-09-13 15:48:11

At 9/13/17 03:03 PM, thenoodge wrote: Remind me never to go to Tennessee. And especially never to get sick or injured. The healthcare system in Tennessee sounds fucking horrifying.

Seems like an accurate impression.

Most Drs would prefer to practice in a more civilized part of the country, so the state licensing board will put up with just about anything to keep medical practitioners in the state.

Luckily I live in more civilized part of the country, where I have never seen a patient not be able to sign themselves out AMA. Nary a once.

The stuff I see in these medical records, man. Human life is definitely not at all valued in the South.

To some extent it's a result of low wages creating an entire class of people who are entitled to treatment who will never be able to pay.

We need single payer so bad.

BBS Signature

Response to Collapsed lung=psych Dx 2017-09-14 08:52:50

At 9/13/17 08:27 PM, DarkRoxy wrote: do you live in a cave

I live in a mansion.

However, if you know of a good cave with reasonable rent, let me know.

BBS Signature

Response to Collapsed lung=psych Dx 2017-09-14 10:38:20

At 9/14/17 09:50 AM, DarkRoxy wrote:
At 9/14/17 08:52 AM, FUNKbrs wrote:

prove it

No, you can't come over.

stranger danger

BBS Signature

Response to Collapsed lung=psych Dx 2017-09-14 18:25:22

At 9/13/17 03:48 PM, FUNKbrs wrote:
Most Drs would prefer to practice in a more civilized part of the country, so the state licensing board will put up with just about anything to keep medical practitioners in the state.

The stuff I see in these medical records, man. Human life is definitely not at all valued in the South.

To some extent it's a result of low wages creating an entire class of people who are entitled to treatment who will never be able to pay.

We need single payer so bad.

Ya know, I didn't even consider that. A lot of the southern states (Kentucky, Mississippi, etc.) have an extremely high number of poor folks. Add the nation wide opioid epidemic to that, and you've got a real bad situation for a whole lot of people.
I'm guessing most people who went through the trouble of going to medical school would try not to find themselves working in that kind of scenario.
I live in the Philadelphia area and we've got some pretty kick ass hospitals in the city proper.
We've also been dealing with a major love for heroin since the 70's, so we laugh at the "epidemic." We call that Tuesday.

Response to Collapsed lung=psych Dx 2017-09-14 23:24:31

At 9/14/17 06:25 PM, thenoodge wrote:

Ya know, I didn't even consider that. A lot of the southern states (Kentucky, Mississippi, etc.) have an extremely high number of poor folks. Add the nation wide opioid epidemic to that, and you've got a real bad situation for a whole lot of people.

Doctors love to write people up as a polysubstance abuser, especially veterans who end up in private care for emergencies. If you're on pain pills for bad knees, benzos for PTSD, and they find out you drink, they'll write you up as a polysub even though everything you're on is legal. I've seen folks with broken bones get written up with poly sub as their diagnosis.

The ramifications of having that in your med records cannot be overstated. If your doc thinks you're a junky, it's going to affect the quality of care you receive for the rest of your life.

I'm guessing most people who went through the trouble of going to medical school would try not to find themselves working in that kind of scenario.
I live in the Philadelphia area and we've got some pretty kick ass hospitals in the city proper.
We've also been dealing with a major love for heroin since the 70's, so we laugh at the "epidemic." We call that Tuesday.

It seems like the shit came from the east coast, literally up the asses of folk musicians. There was a bunch of folkie oogles from Asheville NC that would come east through Nashville to Memphis, and they would all be on that shit.

Memphis was also more of a crack town. People talk shit about crackheads, but they're fucking industrious. Junkies just nod out, lay around and don't do anything. Fucking folk music ruins everything it touches

"Hey guys, I like traditional music... AND TRADITIONAL NARCOTICS"

It's mainly people who got used to snorting xanax and adderal that get into snorting pain pills, switch to H to save money, then end up snorting a hot batch of fentanyl that's causing the problem. And what's worse is that people actually prefer a hot batch of cut fentanyl to real heroin because it's stronger.

BBS Signature