00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mirenamak just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Don't let Google know you saw shit

2,399 Views | 35 Replies

I watched a guy burn to death a little less that 4 months ago.

His name was Jared Mclemore, and yes, there's video if you wanna google it, because he posted it on FB live.

Thing is, because the event was so well documented, the internet immediately knew I was there and my entire ad feed was swamped with mental health bullshit. Worse, now all my Google image searches for funny memes started coming up as mental health bullshit too.

So, I change all my ad settings, stop logging into my google account when I search, etc.

FB was pretty chill about letting me exclude mental health bullshit from my ad feed, but I eventually had to switch to duckduckgo.com as my primary search engine because it got to the point where I couldn't even look up even basic ass memes without a flood of mental health bullshit.

So I've been using duckduckgo.com for a while, but I figured maybe the heat would chill out and I could start using google again.

FUCKING NOPE.

Google is still 100% with the shit on my searches, flooding me with the most bullshitty "stop avoiding treatment" search results even for dumb shit like cat memes.

I mean, I get it, in the course of two years it's well documented that I've been in a serious car wreck, had to tourniquet a friend's gunshot wound and rush him to emergency services (The most fucked moment was pulling into a Family Dollar out in bumfuck with a van full of guns that weren't mine covered in another man's blood and having to scrub my friend's blood off of me in the bathroom), and watched a guy burn to death.

That's enough polytrauma to justify PTSD, not even counting my fucked up ass childhood, and I get that.

But apparently Google isn't going to let up. I'm still a little weird over it, sure, but not nearly as bad as I was. In a year or two, I should be fine.

My point being, if you go through something traumatic that could justify a mental illness, and google finds out about it through your search history, even if you actively change your settings, delete cookies etc it's going to permanently effect your search results.

It's pretty fucked up.

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-06 13:08:46

Boycotting Google, 4 years and counting.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-06 14:27:49

At 9/6/17 01:15 PM, MPPlantOfficial wrote: Was also about to say: "You should consider giving these mental health things a try."

But thing is, this is your way of dealing with all the things you've been through and getting flooded with these mental health ads is pretty fucked up.
It's like constantly getting offered a pill when you're choosing the natty way.

PTSD doesn't respond well to medication according to the the literature. Basically talking about it a lot and establishing an internal narrative that makes sense is the main treatment to resolving the surreal/dissociative symptoms I won't deny I've been having. PTSD sufferers who use medication generally just become dependent and it delays recovery while causing substance issues.

Thing is I probably already had PTSD before any of this from childhood shit that I'm not gonna disclose, so from the research I've done I'm probably more on the C-PTSD end of the scale.

Posting about it a lot on a forum I've been on for years is about as good as I can do as far as taking control of my recovery. The therapy they've been offering the other witnesses is online based anyways. Family's in the process of writing me off as a nutter even as we speak, because they think I need teh relgioin. You know, for a condition in which family support is the #1 protective factor for rapid recovery. I'm fairly certain growing up in a speaking-in-tongues, foot-washing, slain-in-the-spirit Pentecostal church based on a Middle Eastern Zombie worshiping apocalyptic death cult is part of my problem, not part of my solution.

I've got a 5K deductible, so intensive treatment really isn't an option. I'm not buying a doctor a fucking used car to mark time while my brain heals itself naturally.

Have you tried different browsers or a different device altogether?

See, and this is the fuckt part.

I don't research this stuff on my home comp. I only use my work machine, because when I'm bored at home I can game. I made the mistake of logging into FB and posting my work address to get a record from scottish band The Bucky Rage delivered to me. Google apparently cross referenced my search history with my FB account, put 2 and 2 together, and things got exponentially worse. Before that it really wasn't as bad.

Having somewhat concrete proof Google tracks me across locations and devices is really not helping the PTSD induced paranoia I'm probably experiencing.

When I get on duckduckgo.com, I don't get those results, so I have a control group to compare to.

At 9/6/17 01:02 PM, Sekhem wrote:
nah

https://myactivity.google.com/myactivity

you can clean your google account

Literally the first thing I did. Guess how effective it was? I don't even log-in when I search at work.

At 9/6/17 01:08 PM, DamnedByFate wrote: Boycotting Google, 4 years and counting.

Seems legit.

BBS Signature

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-06 15:07:41

At 9/6/17 02:33 PM, Sekhem wrote:
At 9/6/17 02:27 PM, FUNKbrs wrote: Literally the first thing I did. Guess how effective it was? I don't even log-in when I search at work.
well, computers aren't magic

they only serve ads based on cookies, synced account data, or perhaps through third-party tracking extensions

there's not a secret black box that google stores undeletable data in so they can serve you ads about mental illness

Google is already well known to location track to coordinate it's map search results and weather report functions.

All they have to do is cross reference the my IP address to maps searches for directions from my IP, and bang, I've just snitched to Google where the physical address of my address.

Also, Google's intention to track mental health online has been well documented for a few years.

BBS Signature

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-06 15:40:57

Facebook does it too. I'll be talking to someone in a private message on FB, and then all of a sudden, all my facebook ads / sponsored posts are about what we were discussing.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-06 20:59:11

What you have to do is google these things, in this precise order, one after another:

"how to make a bomb"
"how to access arms"
"mind control"
"microscopic robot cameras"
"Underground gamma ray machines"
"How to be extremely subversive and dangerous"
"How to join black government operations"

once you do this, nothing will happen whatsoever.... inside your house. Stand at the NW diagonally positioned corner of your house immediately after you search these things and have one pinecone, exactly 5 and three fourths inches long to throw at the black van that you will see roll up, precisely thirty seconds after your last search. You MUST hit the back left tail light, so practice your throwing champ. They will stop the van, you have 15 seconds to run and enter the back of the van, good luck with your new job on the hidden islands. If you miss a step or mess up haha, good fucking luck punk, no, the amount of time between the searches does not matter and don't scroll around or click any links from the searches. P.S. if you don't want to get shit canned in the first week (which will result in immediate death) I would start practicing E.S.P., Psychokinesis, and telepathy right about now buddy. Be safe have fun!!!

In seriousness, this is annoying, but it should just be fuel to motivate you to stay strongly attached to the path of a healthy recovery from these things on your OWN terms. It is good to be aware of the powers that google has because guess what, there is a potential for inhumane treatment and it is our responsibilities to be able to out do anyone trying to use leverage in a negative way. Humans should not be disposable, and they should not be play things for the market to eat up, and they won't be. Love will prevail peace be with youuu <3

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-06 23:13:03

At 9/6/17 03:40 PM, SevenSeize wrote: Facebook does it too. I'll be talking to someone in a private message on FB, and then all of a sudden, all my facebook ads / sponsored posts are about what we were discussing.

This is a big reason why I don't text over the phone. Why should I make it easy to use text searches on my most basic daily conversations? You don't have to read too many court cases to know that text messages are the best kind of evidence to have in a criminal or civil proceeding. It makes "he-said/she-said" drama no longer hearsay, but accurately admissable evidence.

The case law in divorces heavily relies on texts to prove infidelity, for example.

If they tap my phone line, at least I know that know artificial intelligence language processing software will have little chance of cracking my impermeable Southern accent. The way I speak is barely even English, honestly.

At 9/6/17 04:02 PM, MemeFiend wrote:
If you think I'm paranoid, just remember that CNN recently threatened to dox a 15 year old kid for wrong think. Don't be so sure that Google and Facebook won't do the same.

Dude, no kidding. I know a guy who got depressed and make a few FB posts about blowing his head off get a spooky "welfare check" of two officers sent to his house just a little while later. I don't know if @zeroknight is an NG user or not, but he's a brain surgery survivor, and if anybody's on the crazy list, its him.

NG rather famously called in a "welfare check" on sirtom93 for example, preventing his arson attack against a school. And that's NG, run by people I've been dealing with for years and who I know are generally cool dudes.

BBS Signature

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-06 23:29:19

I.. I don't understand. What are ads?

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-07 02:00:19

Stop using Gmail and Facebook. Or accept being traced.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-07 03:08:35

At 9/6/17 03:40 PM, SevenSeize wrote: Facebook does it too. I'll be talking to someone in a private message on FB, and then all of a sudden, all my facebook ads / sponsored posts are about what we were discussing.

they can read your private messages too?

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-07 10:13:44

At 9/7/17 02:00 AM, satanbrain wrote: Stop using Gmail and Facebook. Or accept being traced.

I know, I know, all this is in the legal disclaimer no one reads before we all click.

At 9/7/17 03:08 AM, KieranMaster wrote:

Dude, it's all in the disclaimer.

Yes. It wasn't so bad when all my ads were for drones I couldn't afford but was actually interested in buying. Drones are pretty fucking sweet.

At 9/7/17 03:42 AM, MPPlantOfficial wrote:

The TRUTH is every time a person accesses Google, they send a random invisible guy to stand behind you and read your messages. That explains why Google has so many employees. #FACTS, bitchuz

Dude, I got in a car wreck, all my ads turned to car dealerships. I search google for shirts, all my ads turn to shirts.

This isn't a crazy conspiracy, this is the same business model they've been using since Google started.

I'm not over here peddling red jellybeans. How the fuck else do you think Google turns a profit, other than by selling highly targeted ads, charity?

BBS Signature

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-07 10:42:34

Tinfoil hats never go out of style.

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-07 11:17:30

At 9/7/17 03:42 AM, MPPlantOfficial wrote:
At 9/7/17 03:08 AM, KieranMaster wrote:
The TRUTH is every time a person accesses Google, they send a random invisible guy to stand behind you and read your messages. That explains why Google has so many employees. #FACTS, bitchuz

I'm a dreadfully boring person. I feel bad for whoever has to read my google searches.

My text messages are pretty hot though. Whoever reads those might be entertained.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

At 9/7/17 10:42 AM, UVSoaked wrote: Tinfoil hats never go out of style.

They're also inexpensive and rain repellent.

However, if you don't believe your whole life is controlled by invisible radio waves, take a hammer to your wifi server and see if your life changes.

if I was on Strava, my numbers would crush yours.

BBS Signature

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-07 20:59:53

At 9/7/17 11:24 AM, FUNKbrs wrote:

Bring it, bruh.

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-07 21:50:19

If you're using Firefox, there's a few folders that don't clear themselves after clearing cache, possibly even after re-installing.

But yeah, next best thing to controlling money is controlling information, and the public is losing the war on the latter (has already lost the war on the former).

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-07 22:47:57

At 9/7/17 09:50 PM, VicariousE wrote: If you're using Firefox, there's a few folders that don't clear themselves after clearing cache, possibly even after re-installing.

But yeah, next best thing to controlling money is controlling information, and the public is losing the war on the latter (has already lost the war on the former).

I wouldn't exactly say the public is losing the war on information, things will still find their way out, and there are still people fighting in favor for it.

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-08 00:23:14

At 9/7/17 08:59 PM, UVSoaked wrote:
At 9/7/17 11:24 AM, FUNKbrs wrote:
Bring it, bruh.

I do 75 miles (120k) a week just on my work commute as a baseline, not counting weekend trips.

I always ride on the weekends, and I make 100+mile round trip bike camping run from Memphis, TN to Holly Springs, MS about once a month.

If I was cool with letting a phone geo track me, I would bury you on strava.

BBS Signature

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-09 01:01:18

At 9/8/17 12:23 AM, FUNKbrs wrote:
I do 75 miles (120k) a week just on my work commute as a baseline, not counting weekend trips.

I always ride on the weekends, and I make 100+mile round trip bike camping run from Memphis, TN to Holly Springs, MS about once a month.

If I was cool with letting a phone geo track me, I would bury you on strava.

Well, I'm more of a runner... Just got a road bike about 2 weeks ago for cross training. And in the end, it's all about quality over quantity for training. Commuting doesn't really do much for progression unless you actually treat it as a workout.

Also, why not get a bike computer that can, at the most, measure your distance and power? You don't need a phone for "tracking."

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-09 05:27:43

At 9/9/17 01:01 AM, UVSoaked wrote:

Well, I'm more of a runner... Just got a road bike about 2 weeks ago for cross training. And in the end, it's all about quality over quantity for training. Commuting doesn't really do much for progression unless you actually treat it as a workout.

Running's bad for your knees. You know it, your shoes know it, and your knees definitely know it. And as a dude who goofs off on the internet until the very last minute before I have to leave, believe me, my commute is a workout. I'm always out there shaving my time.

Also, why not get a bike computer that can, at the most, measure your distance and power? You don't need a phone for "tracking."

My current bike has mounts for a computer, but for me biking is about getting away from computers. There's only so much measuring can do for you when gains are the end goal, not numbers. Focusing on short term numbers too much makes you do dumb stuff like water restrict to cut weight and buy stupid-expensive ultralight equipment for no reason.

BBS Signature

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-09 10:47:52

Use adblock. Stop letting Google track you everywhere. There are addons for that.

ive been using adblock for a few years now

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-09 10:49:25

At 9/9/17 10:47 AM, KieranMaster wrote:
Use adblock. Stop letting Google track you everywhere. There are addons for that.

Same.

Been around since 2004. (as a lurker that is!)

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-09 21:05:14

What adblocker do you use?

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-09 21:15:43

At 9/9/17 09:05 PM, OneThousandMeeps wrote:
What adblocker do you use?

adblock plus

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-09 21:18:40

At 9/9/17 09:15 PM, KieranMaster wrote:
At 9/9/17 09:05 PM, OneThousandMeeps wrote: What adblocker do you use?
adblock plus

I used to use that, but now I use Adguard

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-09 21:23:16

At 9/9/17 09:18 PM, OneThousandMeeps wrote:
adblock plus

whats the difference? they are all the same

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-09 21:35:05

At 9/9/17 09:23 PM, KieranMaster wrote:
At 9/9/17 09:18 PM, OneThousandMeeps wrote:
adblock plus

It's green, and looks good next to grammarly.

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-09 21:36:27

It's green, and looks good next to grammarly.

whatever man

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-09 21:45:31

Google ain't got shit on me.

I turn water into water

BBS Signature

Response to Don't let Google know you saw shit 2017-09-09 21:57:05

At 9/9/17 09:44 PM, Zornuzkull wrote: they still have my porn history...

your dodgy porn history