• 50 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer

Please post your stories in the story thread. Any comments/questions/concerns, etc... should live in this thread.

Click on my signature to check out my Youtube Channel. The Dom and Fro Show!
Check out My Blog

BBS Signature
KungFuSpaceBarbarian
KungFuSpaceBarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Writer
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-29 16:46:05 Reply

At 8/29/17 04:00 PM, Fro wrote: Please post your stories in the story thread. Any comments/questions/concerns, etc... should live in this thread.

interactive stories cool? :D

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-29 17:01:07 Reply

At 8/29/17 04:46 PM, KungFuSpaceBarbarian wrote:
At 8/29/17 04:00 PM, Fro wrote: Please post your stories in the story thread. Any comments/questions/concerns, etc... should live in this thread.

Man interesting question... They show up in the games portal but really do fit better in this category. I'm thinking they should be included as well.

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-29 18:26:12 Reply

At 8/29/17 05:01 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Man interesting question... They show up in the games portal but really do fit better in this category. I'm thinking they should be included as well.

Try and excuse my ignorance, but what exactly do we mean by an interactive story?

Check out My Blog

BBS Signature
KungFuSpaceBarbarian
KungFuSpaceBarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Writer
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-29 18:49:37 Reply

At 8/29/17 06:26 PM, Fro wrote:
At 8/29/17 05:01 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Try and excuse my ignorance, but what exactly do we mean by an interactive story?

Sorta like a choose your own adventure book. Here's an example of one I made before: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/698081

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-29 18:52:24 Reply

At 8/29/17 06:49 PM, KungFuSpaceBarbarian wrote:
Sorta like a choose your own adventure book. Here's an example of one I made before: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/698081

Neat, would it take for of a flash submission then?

Check out My Blog

BBS Signature
KungFuSpaceBarbarian
KungFuSpaceBarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Writer
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-29 19:31:46 Reply

At 8/29/17 06:52 PM, Fro wrote:
At 8/29/17 06:49 PM, KungFuSpaceBarbarian wrote:
Neat, would it take for of a flash submission then?

Yeah I guess it would fall under games since it gets posted on the games portal

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-29 19:41:54 Reply

At 8/29/17 07:31 PM, KungFuSpaceBarbarian wrote:
Yeah I guess it would fall under games since it gets posted on the games portal

I'm ok with accepting it as a story if it gets linked to the story thread.

Check out My Blog

BBS Signature
TaintedLogic
TaintedLogic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Musician
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-29 22:09:42 Reply

This sounds awesome! Are there any length requirements? Not sure I can squeeze what I usually consider to be a "story" into a single forum post.

"Reflect on your evils, lest they reflect on you." ~A Magic card lol --- Formerly "TheDoor6"

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-29 22:22:22 Reply

At 8/29/17 10:09 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: This sounds awesome! Are there any length requirements? Not sure I can squeeze what I usually consider to be a "story" into a single forum post.

Just make sure to post them back to back. So it's easy for me to read without searching. I'm also ok with it being saved to a blog post like your news page or personal blog.

For history purposes though it's best to stay in the story thread.

Check out My Blog

BBS Signature
TaintedLogic
TaintedLogic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Musician
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-29 22:49:25 Reply

At 8/29/17 10:22 PM, Fro wrote: Just make sure to post them back to back.

Okay, cool! Thanks for the clarification.

"Reflect on your evils, lest they reflect on you." ~A Magic card lol --- Formerly "TheDoor6"

BBS Signature
Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-30 16:05:55 Reply

Does it have to be original or can it be derivative?

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-30 16:16:37 Reply

At 8/30/17 04:05 PM, Psychopath wrote: Does it have to be original or can it be derivative?

I rather it be something you wrote specifically for this competition, but if you have something you've been working on and/or haven't posted it in a writing competition on newgrounds then it doesn't really matter too much.

I think one of the best things about these competitions is writing something new and getting the creative juices flowing. To each their own though. At the end of the day I won't know if it's something you've written in the past or if it's original. :P

Check out My Blog

BBS Signature
Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate

At 8/30/17 04:16 PM, Fro wrote: I think one of the best things about these competitions is writing something new and getting the creative juices flowing. To each their own though. At the end of the day I won't know if it's something you've written in the past or if it's original. :P

Last questions, can I post a link to some music for an atmospheric effect and how many times can I enter the competition? What if I write more than one story, does it work like a bingo lottery where I increase my chances the more I add to the pile? Can I collaborate with somebody? If I and my colleague win with our collaborative piece, do we split the prize money?

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer

At 8/30/17 05:22 PM, Psychopath wrote:
Last questions, can I post a link to some music for an atmospheric effect and how many times can I enter the competition?

Linking to music would be just fine.

We've only ever allowed one entry per competition and I'd like to stick to that rule.

What if I write more than one story, does it work like a bingo lottery where I increase my chances the more I add to the pile? Can I collaborate with somebody? If I and my colleague win with our collaborative piece, do we split the prize money?

I'd be alright with you collaborating with someone. As I don't do the payment part though we can perhaps get a little more input from Tom.. I don't know how to do the @ thingy, it's been awhile since I've used the forums frequently. Is it as easy as saying, @TomFulp

Check out My Blog

BBS Signature
Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-30 18:06:33 Reply

At 8/30/17 05:59 PM, Fro wrote:
Last questions, can I post a link to some music for an atmospheric effect and how many times can I enter the competition?

We've only ever allowed one entry per competition and I'd like to stick to that rule.

Would a collaboration be considered the single entry for both individuals or can they publish their own separate stories after the collab, like it technically falls under the one entry rule as 1.5 entries?

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-30 18:24:59 Reply

At 8/30/17 06:06 PM, Psychopath wrote:
Would a collaboration be considered the single entry for both individuals or can they publish their own separate stories after the collab, like it technically falls under the one entry rule as 1.5 entries?

That would count as your one entry for both people. No additional ones would be considered in the contention after that.

Check out My Blog

BBS Signature
Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-30 19:14:07 Reply

At 8/30/17 06:24 PM, Fro wrote: That would count as your one entry for both people. No additional ones would be considered in the contention after that.

Is there any prohibited language?

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-30 19:26:48 Reply

At 8/30/17 07:14 PM, Psychopath wrote:
At 8/30/17 06:24 PM, Fro wrote: That would count as your one entry for both people. No additional ones would be considered in the contention after that.
Is there any prohibited language?

Not within creative reason.

Check out My Blog

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-31 09:53:04 Reply

At 8/30/17 05:59 PM, Fro wrote:

I've told someone else that multiple entries would be fine, although people who do multiple entries tend to not submit winning quality entries. Maybe it could be allowed for every category except writing, since writing can add up to a lot of material to read?

What if I write more than one story, does it work like a bingo lottery where I increase my chances the more I add to the pile? Can I collaborate with somebody? If I and my colleague win with our collaborative piece, do we split the prize money?
I'd be alright with you collaborating with someone. As I don't do the payment part though we can perhaps get a little more input from Tom.. I don't know how to do the @ thingy, it's been awhile since I've used the forums frequently. Is it as easy as saying, @TomFulp

For collaborations, it's up to the team to determine how they want to split the prize money.

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-31 10:08:12 Reply

At 8/31/17 09:53 AM, TomFulp wrote:
I've told someone else that multiple entries would be fine, although people who do multiple entries tend to not submit winning quality entries. Maybe it could be allowed for every category except writing, since writing can add up to a lot of material to read?

I really don't mind the reading material. Yesterday I was thinking about how every other category allows multiple entries except writing and was also wondering if we should allow it.

Our reasoning was always that people who submitted multiple stories could have put their time and effort into the one story and probably come out farther ahead. Basically what you just said about people who submit multiple entries usually not being winning quality.

Check out My Blog

BBS Signature
Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-31 14:42:12 Reply

Alright, so you can submit more than one project and it does technically operate on bingo logic. Good to know.

MinecraftGirl2
MinecraftGirl2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-31 16:19:34 Reply

Hey I was just wondering where you could post the story, is there a specific link or somthing or tag like with are you have to put with the story or can you post the story underneath this post? i really would like to know because i write alot of stories here on NG and i would love to show off my writing skills in this contest. (epsecially because it's helloween themed ^_^)

i would like some help with this because this is the first time wanting me to enter a story for a contest just for fun. i would really appreaciate if some things like i said before could be a bit more explained for me.
if you read this thanks already i appreaciate it and i hope to hear from you soon ^_^
~N

btw, sorry for reacting on the other post i wanted to delete it when i saw it, i felt stupid it's the second time i react on a post soooooo that happend. sorry for that hope you forgive me for doing that.

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-31 16:27:13 Reply

At 8/31/17 04:19 PM, MinecraftGirl2 wrote:
btw, sorry for reacting on the other post i wanted to delete it when i saw it, i felt stupid it's the second time i react on a post soooooo that happend. sorry for that hope you forgive me for doing that.

No problem, mistakes happen.

Just post it in the story thread when you're done writing. It should be written in the body of a post. Usually best practice is to write it in a newspost or word processor program, copy it over, and make sure the format looks good.

Check out My Blog

BBS Signature
MinecraftGirl2
MinecraftGirl2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-31 16:31:57 Reply

At 8/31/17 04:27 PM, Fro wrote:
At 8/31/17 04:19 PM, MinecraftGirl2 wrote:
No problem, mistakes happen.

Just post it in the story thread when you're done writing. It should be written in the body of a post. Usually best practice is to write it in a newspost or word processor program, copy it over, and make sure the format looks good.

Ok thank you ^_^

so not so different from what i write normally. i'll try to do my best for this and i hope you enjoy my story in the future.

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-31 17:01:24 Reply

At 8/31/17 04:31 PM, MinecraftGirl2 wrote:
Ok thank you ^_^

so not so different from what i write normally. i'll try to do my best for this and i hope you enjoy my story in the future.

I look forward to reading it!

Check out My Blog

BBS Signature
Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-08-31 23:57:29 Reply

Ahh! The writing contests live on! Just saw the Halloween one pop up. Perchance I'll brew up something with a dash of spinetingle and hint of unsettling existential dread...

Self-published fiction: Mostly Lies

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-09-01 10:09:52 Reply

At 8/31/17 11:57 PM, Zerok wrote: Ahh! The writing contests live on! Just saw the Halloween one pop up. Perchance I'll brew up something with a dash of spinetingle and hint of unsettling existential dread...

Sounds just horrible.

I'll love it

Check out My Blog

BBS Signature
AssassinOnTheHill
AssassinOnTheHill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-09-06 18:02:09 Reply

Would withdrawing a submission to edit it or submitting a new one in place of it be against the rules?

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer
Response to Hall-17 Writing Contest Discussion 2017-09-06 18:09:49 Reply

At 9/6/17 06:02 PM, AssassinOnTheHill wrote: Would withdrawing a submission to edit it or submitting a new one in place of it be against the rules?

I would just wait until you absolutely knew what you were posting was going to be the final version, but I'm a very nice guy to get along with so if this were too happen let me know and I'll make sure one of my moderator friends deletes your post and you can repost.

Please, please, take your time and make sure it's the final product though. People who are patient and do all of their edits ahead of time usually place well above those who rush. It wouldn't influence my vote one way or another, but it just seems to be the pattern.

Check out My Blog

BBS Signature