00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Neptuno84 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best 2D platformer?

1,054 Views | 17 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Best 2D platformer? 2017-08-18 12:17:45

What's the best 2D platformer you ever played and what makes it the best? Mine's definitely Trine 2. Awesome gameplay with amazing visuals and it's also pretty easy to play, which makes it a perfect game to relax with.

Response to Best 2D platformer? 2017-08-18 17:23:41

You could play ervery 2d mario :D
But i think Cave Story is better

Response to Best 2D platformer? 2017-08-19 02:14:21

Castlevania. perfectly designed gameplay, amazing music, intense and challenging bosses, this game has it all. it can be frustrating, but the satisfaction of beating a stage is great.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Best 2D platformer? 2017-08-19 04:09:41

Rayman was probably one of my most played PS1 games. Even after all these years I can still clearly remember the enemy designs, the sound effects, the level designs. It was just an all round great 2D platformer. I don't think I ever beat it though.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Best 2D platformer? 2017-08-19 17:57:09

At 8/18/17 05:45 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: Disney's Aladdin on SNES.

I hear the Sega Genesis/Megadrive version is better.

Speaking of Genesis: The original, 2D Sonic games are considered the best among all the Sonic games.

That and the original, 2D Mario games (but I like 3D better in this case).

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Best 2D platformer? 2017-08-19 18:36:35

At 8/18/17 05:23 PM, CaveDancer wrote: You could play ervery 2d mario :D

Cave story? How so? :D

Response to Best 2D platformer? 2017-08-19 18:37:40

First of all Aladdin is probably my favorite Disney movie of all time. The game does a great job of utilizing and expanding upon the movie's material in fun ways. The platforming is spot-on and the level design is excellent. It's an all around blast.

I checked it out and it looks pretty cool! But I'm more into modern games. :/

Response to Best 2D platformer? 2017-08-19 18:38:20

At 8/19/17 02:14 AM, Ultramartyr wrote: Castlevania. perfectly designed gameplay, amazing music, intense and challenging bosses, this game has it all. it can be frustrating, but the satisfaction of beating a stage is great.

Cool choice. I'm following a youtuber who plays this game everyday. Looks dope. :)

Response to Best 2D platformer? 2017-08-19 18:38:47

At 8/19/17 04:09 AM, Dean wrote: Rayman was probably one of my most played PS1 games. Even after all these years I can still clearly remember the enemy designs, the sound effects, the level designs. It was just an all round great 2D platformer. I don't think I ever beat it though.

And the humor! Rayman does the trick with humor for me :D

Response to Best 2D platformer? 2017-08-19 18:39:11

At 8/19/17 05:57 PM, Painbringer wrote:
I hear the Sega Genesis/Megadrive version is better.

Speaking of Genesis: The original, 2D Sonic games are considered the best among all the Sonic games.

That and the original, 2D Mario games (but I like 3D better in this case).

True about the Mario games.:)

Response to Best 2D platformer? 2017-08-20 01:04:19

At 8/19/17 06:36 PM, TilenM wrote:

I like the Charakters and the Story much more

Response to Best 2D platformer? 2017-08-20 08:07:49

Rayman Origins & Rayman Legends are godtier platformers. Great visuals & music, and lots of replay value.

At 8/19/17 06:36 PM, TilenM wrote:

Ehhh. Cave Story's not much of a platformer. It's closer to a Metroid/Castlevania style game with some platforming elements. There's a lot of backtracking involved and if you're expecting a pure platformer then you're gonna be confused by Cave Story.

But some other games in the vein of Cave Story would be Rogue Legacy and La-Mulana. Two very good games.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Best 2D platformer? 2017-09-17 12:39:05

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is so good that it's unreal.

Kirby's Adventure on the NES is great, too.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Best 2D platformer? 2017-09-20 16:54:00

Metal Slug. Played it in an arcade and loved it since. The graphics are great, its just so fun to look at. And you can shoot at different angles. The style is gung ho and the enemies have that German look. Plus the tank parts are great as well.

Response to Best 2D platformer? 2017-09-20 19:28:14 (edited 2017-09-20 19:28:21)

yeah metal slug is excellent, super meatboy is a really great platformer and a shit load of fun.

cave story is my personal favorite platformer, although it does have rpg like elements and you have to navigate around in a non traditional way, it has really amazing controls and is the one game that stands out the very most to me, although you could argue that its in its own classification of game type due to it being primarily a platformer in its mechanics, an rpg in its gameplay elements, and really more even like a shmup in the more action stages.... the last level of that game (the secret hell level) is so fucking crazy and amazing... i dont think i was ever able to beat it.

of course classics like super mario world i have probably logged way more hours playing than cave story, and SMB2 really had an awesome feel to it and may be one of my favorite mario games, among the other ones that were not seemingly developed by main mario developers like super mario land 1 and 2, which spawned the wario land platformers, wario land 4 was my absolute shit on the gba.

Who can forget alien hominid? I think it is a great homage to the era that it came from as well as the games that inspired it. I would play that over and over and I loved the PDA level editor a shit load as a kid... battleblock theatre looks like it was even more gameplay like the level editor from alien hominid, but as I aged I grew a pessimistic view on video games, or at least my use of them, so I never played this game.

I guess my favorite game ever is smash brothers melee for the competitive scene, but I might be wrong to consider a fighting game like this a platformer because of the platformer mechanics, especially considering the fighting mode/competitive scene that has sprouted out of the game is why it is my favorite.

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Best 2D platformer? 2017-09-21 04:28:00

Ori and the Blind Forest

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Best 2D platformer? 2017-09-21 13:38:24

Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 can never get enough of playing with that groovy character. Shooting lasers is fun like hell.

Best 2D platformer?

Response to Best 2D platformer? 2017-09-24 18:08:53

I really enjoyed Super Meat Boy. Controls are tight, graphics are amazing for what it is (which is originally why I bought it, couldn't get enough of the art style) and it was addictive af

I'm contemplating buying The End is Nigh, looks like a slower version of Super Meat Boy, but more difficult.