00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Soundcloud

1,259 Views | 11 Replies

Soundcloud 2017-08-16 11:53:00

So, I've been using Soundcloud a little and I noticed that one of my tracks keeps getting likes. I see them in my notifications but there's only one like showing up on the actual track and for a while it was two, but dropped down to one despite my notifications showing that there should be maybe about four.

The likes are always from someone with no tracks, but hundreds to thousands of followers for some unknown reason and just a few minutes ago after a brief Google search I discovered people have been buying likes with money.

Basically, I want to know if there is any point to using a website with such a obviously broken community that is so focused on likes and followers to the point that it seems likes are taken away if some kind of response isn't given. I thought Deviant Art had a poison user base, but this really takes the cake in my opinion.

I am not trying to turn everyone into skeletons*

*subject up to debate

Response to Soundcloud 2017-08-16 12:48:25

Tragedy of the commons destroys all poorly moderated "communities". I've found it darn near impossible to connect with real people on SoundCloud. Also, other musicians scrambling for likes and "exposure" creates a poor atmosphere in general.

BBS Signature

Response to Soundcloud 2017-08-16 12:59:10

I've seen no real evidence of any moderators. much like Newgrounds, people put other people's music up as their own, even well known songs. Unlike Newgrounds they get away with it as far as I've been able to tell. I'm really considering not using Soundcloud at all after this became apparent since I've found only one other musician I didn't know about prior to joining Soundcloud.

It's been a real disappointment.

*subject up to debate

Response to Soundcloud 2017-08-16 21:56:19

At 8/16/17 12:59 PM, sargos97 wrote: It's been a real disappointment.

SoundCloud's CEO just stepped down because that company has been managed like a 3 year old handles learning a swear word. They an example of exactly how not to operate a media distribution company.

Their blog is filled with the most incredibly presumptuous, self-aggrandizing tripe I may have ever read, which I've noticed is often a hallmark of a company that honestly has no idea what the fuck they are doing at all. I'd be willing to bet money that the latest VC cash infusion they received to save their asses will end up accomplishing nothing.

Good riddance to them.

Response to Soundcloud 2017-08-17 22:48:19

i stopped using Soundcloud a long time ago because there's just no exposure there. here, o don't have a lot of fans, but if i upload a song it generally gets 300+ views over the course of a couple days, along with ratings and reviews. on SC I'd be very lucky to get 10 views in a week. NG throws new material at the top of a list so it's bound to get clicks. SC you're buried from the get-go unless you're already established on the site. it's garbo.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Soundcloud 2017-08-18 06:08:50 (edited 2017-08-18 06:10:26)

Ultramartyr

I've noticed this too. I'll generally get 30 or so listens here on Newgrounds while most of my stuff on Soundcloud only has maybe two. Even though I don't get much feedback here on this site there is at least a sense of people listening to it. It feels like there's more of a point of putting it here.

Sorry if this is put up a bit goofy, I don't use this part of the site very often.

*subject up to debate

Response to Soundcloud 2017-08-19 13:35:03

Ah, the monthly soundcloud-sucks thread. Yeah, those are bots, OP. Happens to the best of us. It's another reason why I quit using SoundCloud. There was next to no real engagement.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Soundcloud 2017-08-19 14:31:09

At 8/19/17 01:35 PM, ADR3-N wrote: Ah, the monthly soundcloud-sucks thread. Yeah, those are bots, OP. Happens to the best of us. It's another reason why I quit using SoundCloud. There was next to no real engagement.

I noticed what responses other people were getting consisted of meme trash. I sort've made up my mind this morning to stop using Soundcloud since it's been more annoying and disappointing than fun.

*subject up to debate

Response to Soundcloud 2017-08-19 19:14:46

Soundcloud is nice for a dumping ground if anything, and as far as I know the only community I've ever seen were the Soundclown guys. Gonna say what others have also been saying, unless you've already got a following you shouldn't expect anything to come from it.

Response to Soundcloud 2017-08-20 04:27:53 (edited 2017-08-20 04:38:47)

At 8/17/17 10:48 PM, Ultramartyr wrote: NG throws new material at the top of a list so it's bound to get clicks. SC you're buried from the get-go unless you're already established on the site.

This is what keeps me coming to this site. I've been part of several internet 'communities' for books/art/animation/whatever.
They are all the same: established users at the top of the page, new people get buried. Feels pointless to comment on those sites. The guy with 50k views and 100 comments is probably not even reading what I write.

But here, I know posters appreciate the view and feedback. This site really is different. The way the portal page is organized is pretty great.

Response to Soundcloud 2017-08-20 06:58:30

At 8/20/17 04:27 AM, Furious-Monkey wrote:
But here, I know posters appreciate the view and feedback. This site really is different. The way the portal page is organized is pretty great.

The way they handle it has led me to a lot of really cool art or music. I feel like its almost unique to Newgrounds since I've seen it nowhere else.

*subject up to debate

Response to Soundcloud 2017-08-20 07:15:55

I agree with you. Soundcloud comunity is broken. I think there is 40% of accounds only likebots.