TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-08 18:20:26 Reply

At 8/8/17 05:55 PM, Noodle wrote: The new search is fantastic!!
I pulled up the "advanced" option and was thrilled to see it had all my wishlist items!

Being able to filter by genre and whether or not it's been front paged is wonderful!!
I like the approximate length search for audio.
But I also wish that you could select a range (ie) between 1:05 and 1:35 or something like that?

The userpage mockup is great too!
People hated when YouTube took away the ability to really personalize your userpage. So Newgrounds upping the personalization is a great step. It will make profiles feel more like small personal websites! Something that I think people will be eager to share :)

Glad you're liking it so far! And that is the big hope with the new user pages - we're trying to have NG take a step into the background, which is why our navbar for games / movies / etc. isn't at the top. The pages will also render well on mobile, making it much more attractive to share stuff like blog posts on social media.

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
MysticSkillz
MysticSkillz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 36
Artist
Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-09 14:17:43 Reply

Tom when should we expect the new site update?

Check out my work at MysticSkillz

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician

At 8/7/17 03:05 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Coming next: New user pages and a new header bar, with new search and a logo variation for smaller spaces. Here's an in-progress mock-up, thoughts?

Looking good, but to be honest I think the downside to all the website redesigns is that silly bubble crop that kills most of the image. If you use it, at least make it a little bigger so it doesn't kill most of the image in the process, then it would look nicer. I I hate how facebook is using it now, and twitter, and most of my icon is gone and zooms into my face too much. It would be cool if most of the image wasn't gone.

Other than that I love the new logo and design as a whole, personalization is important. Google took that from youtube, and most websites you don't really have that at all. We used to have Myspace and that got taken away. Facebook doesn't let you use it. Twitter, to an extent, but I miss the old days of customization on most websites, that's why it would be cool to bring it back here. I certainly miss the custom stuff on NG like the custom banner, would love to have that back.

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician

At 8/10/17 12:23 AM, RealFaction wrote:
At 8/7/17 03:05 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Coming next: New user pages and a new header bar, with new search and a logo variation for smaller spaces. Here's an in-progress mock-up, thoughts?
stuff i said

On top of what i said, at a second glance, it actually looks pretty classy and more noticable, I notice the color around the ring, but I still think making it maybe a tad bigger would help, or maybe we would have to shrink our images a little...hmm...tricky. All in all, I think it looks great, and stands out. It kinda has that cyberpunk feel to it, reminds me of Blade Runner and E.Y.E. (fun game).

What if the new age of NG is cyberpunk? Would be an interesting new direction. Has already had some cyberpunk traces here and there in the design already. NG had the industrial machine layout age, but perhaps this is an evolved form turned into the cyberpunk theme. It is quite interesting. When can we expect this? Though I do feel the buttons are a little lacking, maybe different font to look more stylish and NG original. @TomFulp

I did a few different font examples to show you how it could be a little more stylish, I think the buttons would look better with a font like one of these (personally the middle two are my favorite and i think would fit best with such a font like that).

Best of July 2017 & Updates!

AxolotlAnimations
AxolotlAnimations
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-10 10:02:21 Reply

The mockup... it's amazing and finally looks like something. The old one was kinda weird.

When you're sad, just remember you're not allergic to chocolate. Unless you are. Then I got nothing to say to ya.

BBS Signature
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-10 10:50:35 Reply

Nice! The userpage looks a bit much too reminiscent of Twitter, tho

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 39
Writer

IDK, I've been seeing a lot of round user icons lately, and they really don't float my boat, seems like it's a waste of space. I get that round is nature's go-to shape, and square or rectangular is man's shape... but the internet is very much a synthetic thing, and square things fit easier on a monitor with 90 degree corners.
Maybe I'm just old school. Maybe I hate the fuck out of YouTube and all those other mainstream sites.

The new logo and Newgrounds title seem oversimplified. I like the contrast color between New and Grounds (keeps the noobs from spelling it like "NewGrounds", but I definitely prefer the font and (lack of) coloring the way it is now. I'd also prefer the site name to be as large as the tank icon, the current masthead looks a little... apologetic looking, almost iffy, with the space above and below it. Shout out NEWGROUNDS, and do it loud.

The new tank icon is lame. OK, it holds up in lo-res, but it's more... iconic looking, no passion at all, looks like it got pulled from a generic emoji style sheet. Might work better with Tankman with his back turned, wetting on the side of it. Barring that, either of the 2 previous tank designs would work well.

So, yeah, I can stomach the new layout, which looks like many other social sites, but the masthead and tank icon have got to stand out, even if it is meant for some shitty pocket computer, that can be traced by the Feds and any podunk, militarized police force. Put a tiger in that tank Tom, don't go quietly into that good night.....

At 8/10/17 10:02 AM, AxolotlAnimations wrote: The mockup... it's amazing and finally looks like something. The old one was kinda weird.

Hey skrub. you want normal, go someplace else. There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion. I like weird, I NEED weird.

When this site first started, the web was chock full of diversity, now it's a big bowl of commercial dog shit, that propagates white noise, feedback, safe investments and an ever encroaching world of ARTLESSNESS. Big corporations hate art, because it makes people think, feel and love like humans. All the big tech companies want to do is make money for themselves and their stockholders, not remind people that they are mindless cattle, clicking whatever the algorithm shows them

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.
If I'm not here, you can find me racing on GTA: Online, gamertag: VicariousE

BBS Signature
MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-11 21:28:19 Reply

The search function is fantastic, nice job.

If I had to make any suggestions it would be if the results would show up in chronological order, and that the search word, or phrase was highlighted when you clicked one of the results.

great work

Fungasm
Fungasm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-13 22:11:42 Reply

Love how the new userpages look. few suggestions that might help. Add a gradient behind the name so it can read better against the user's banner image. Also I was trying to design a more simplistic tank, but that's pretty hard to do since the old one is so iconic as it is. I was thinking maybe make use of pico and have his head be the symbol. In my eye I compared it to how simplistic say the twitter logo is. Or maybe even just the tankman's face, and leave the tank solely on the site. Would it be a weird suggestion to get rid of the tank just for iconic purposes off-site? You could also have swapping icons be up there. or maybe depending on what color you choose for the site as you mentioned, a different character logo appears there. like if you choose a pink theme, you get nene. etc. Sort of in the same vein as how each character represented a different part of the site, darnell for music, but with the layout colors. Idk. just throwing suggestions~

Dunso
Dunso
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 17
Melancholy

The preview is looking great in pretty much all respects, but I must agree with what some others have already said about the circular user pictures. It does look stylish and all good on paper, but in the end it's not something I would call user friendly. On sites that do use it I find it difficult to find a picture that looks good with a lot of cut off. And you know somehow, circles are just not Newgrounds to me. I suggest square with rounded corners. Maybe not as striking, but less of a hassle to use.

Other than that it looks great, I'm really looking forward to it!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer

At 8/13/17 10:11 PM, Fungasm wrote: Love how the new userpages look. few suggestions that might help. Add a gradient behind the name so it can read better against the user's banner image. Also I was trying to design a more simplistic tank, but that's pretty hard to do since the old one is so iconic as it is. I was thinking maybe make use of pico and have his head be the symbol. In my eye I compared it to how simplistic say the twitter logo is. Or maybe even just the tankman's face, and leave the tank solely on the site. Would it be a weird suggestion to get rid of the tank just for iconic purposes off-site? You could also have swapping icons be up there. or maybe depending on what color you choose for the site as you mentioned, a different character logo appears there. like if you choose a pink theme, you get nene. etc. Sort of in the same vein as how each character represented a different part of the site, darnell for music, but with the layout colors. Idk. just throwing suggestions~

We should give the gradient a shot and the idea of multiple logos is really compelling... I could see NG swapping its main logo on a daily or weekly basis (rotating through existing logos when it runs out of new ones) and instead of users getting stuck with a logo based on their color choice, maybe they can just choose from the big assortment that's available... Interesting stuff to think about!

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer

At 8/14/17 05:08 AM, Dunso wrote: The preview is looking great in pretty much all respects, but I must agree with what some others have already said about the circular user pictures. It does look stylish and all good on paper, but in the end it's not something I would call user friendly. On sites that do use it I find it difficult to find a picture that looks good with a lot of cut off. And you know somehow, circles are just not Newgrounds to me. I suggest square with rounded corners. Maybe not as striking, but less of a hassle to use.

Rounded square icons have been a recurring discussion point, although comparing them side by side, the circles tend to win out for looking nicer.

BBS Signature
AndoGDTunes
AndoGDTunes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-14 17:29:09 Reply

New user pages are gonna be sick!!!! it looks so cool!!

AndoGDTunes
AndoGDTunes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-14 17:34:44 Reply

just had an idea!!!!

what if you could choose whether you have circle icon or a square Icon?????

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-14 17:37:50 Reply

At 8/14/17 05:34 PM, AndoGDTunes wrote: just had an idea!!!!

We could toss in stars too in case the Star Syndicate makes a resurgence.

BBS Signature
ZVCH
ZVCH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Animator
Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-14 20:38:38 Reply

Really excited for the new userpage updates

Blordow
Blordow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Artist
Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-14 23:25:17 Reply

I hope this will be the true art social hub, we need one, twitter is a joke, I never see my friends work on there anymore because it's flooded with politics and memes. All I wanna see is the people I follow making cool creative stuff, here's to hoping these updates will help in giving us a platform again to reach out and inspire people.

BBS Signature
PhantomCat
PhantomCat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Game Developer
Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-15 01:11:53 Reply

Unrelated, but the WALL ARTIST link for Rob's thing points to the wrong userpage. He's RobertClock.NewGrounds.com

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-15 05:46:08 Reply

At 8/15/17 01:11 AM, PhantomCat wrote: Unrelated, but the WALL ARTIST link for Rob's thing points to the wrong userpage. He's RobertClock.NewGrounds.com

Whoops! Thanks for the heads up.

AndoGDTunes
AndoGDTunes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-18 08:36:41 Reply

At 8/14/17 05:37 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 8/14/17 05:34 PM, AndoGDTunes wrote: just had an idea!!!!

good point @TomFulp lol

Rodauce
Rodauce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Writer

I. LOVE. IT.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer

At 8/10/17 09:54 PM, VicariousE wrote: When this site first started, the web was chock full of diversity, now it's a big bowl of commercial dog shit, that propagates white noise, feedback, safe investments and an ever encroaching world of ARTLESSNESS. Big corporations hate art, because it makes people think, feel and love like humans. All the big tech companies want to do is make money for themselves and their stockholders, not remind people that they are mindless cattle, clicking whatever the algorithm shows them

I agree the net has turned more and more to shit overall, much thanks to the corporate conglomerates like Microsoft and FB not just contributing that bland corporate culture but also just more and more flat layouts... though maybe that's turning. Maybe it's the belief that unless they evolve they won't sell, and progress will come to a halt, or maybe their design's just reflected by the current architectural standards (which have also been getting pretty dull) and social standards overall, but whatever their reasons it seems the design choices they make pave the way for everyone, and thus it turns out like it does...

I wouldn'y say all new design practices are bad though. Pages load faster and break less often. Standards and frameworks let certain parts of functionality be offloaded while sites focus more on their own thing, and the frameworks used seem to be getting more and more standardized too. jQuery and Bootstrap are everywhere, though there used to be hundreds of equally useful choices. Different layout elements have been tested and evaluated over the years and we now know what's best to use: where people look first, where they click; how they best take in content presented to them. Personal sites don't need to care about that stuff, but for a community usability it's a big thing, and I don't think it's all bad. Somehow the social giants don't seem to be making an improvement no matter how much they simplify, it's usually for the worse, but here there's still a balance. NG is still that place. Focus just seems to be shifting to submissions rather than layout, and IMHO it's great they streamline it. Less work required to maintain a complex and artful design = more potential to work on the stuff that really matters. It's still personal, with custom icons, mascots, logos, a totally different color scheme than most of the world white web... not conforming, just simplifying.

It's a shame the 'culture' carries over from other communities who just keep getting bigger, like the non-critical-thinking peer-pressuring like-mind from FB, and that with such a small share of the audience there's little room to change the psychological norm, pushin positive anti-conformist free-thinking influence elsewhere. But with the right content all's possible! Subconscious influence in dubious artistry accessible to all, with no layout barrier that keeps people out. I feel like that's how it's becoming.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer

At 8/14/17 05:37 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 8/14/17 05:34 PM, AndoGDTunes wrote: what if you could choose whether you have circle icon or a square Icon?????

Oh yeah, and clocks, locks, glocks, soup bowls... all kinds of custom shapes! :D Maybe you could have it so users can upload their own shape masks, with a transparent background or fill to mark that specific shape, against which uploaded user icons then get cropped? Sounds simple in theory but...

Would be awesome though!
At 8/13/17 10:11 PM, Fungasm wrote: ...like if you choose a pink theme, you get nene. etc. Sort of in the same vein as how each character represented a different part of the site, darnell for music, but with the layout colors. Idk. just throwing suggestions~

I love this idea too. The secret selection of characters and the color-choice algorithms required to attain them is what seems the coolest IMO. Sometimes less freedom just makes it all the more fun. A sense of secrecy.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer
Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-11-08 07:43:51 Reply

Super-belated Congrats to the winners this month! Looks like another good one.

At 8/7/17 11:39 PM, GiaanRG2000 wrote: I wish I can someday make a sumbission that gets popular... because, what is the humanity without an objective to chase in his/her whole life? :D

What indeed! :D May you chase that objective and someday reach it!