00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best of July 2017 & Updates!

13,642 Views | 46 Replies
Respond to this Topic

If you're a Supporter, we just launched a new search beta in the supporter forum. This is an opportunity for you to try our new site search and let us know what results you think could have been better, what advanced search options you would like to see or what bugs you find. Meanwhile we'll be keeping an eye on performance and working on the auto-suggestions that will appear as you type.

Last week we experienced a big uptick in marketing spam. As a result we've added more aggressive spam-protection to our blog and forum systems. Please PM me if you make a non-spam post that appears to get auto-deleted. Include the contents of the post if possible, or any URLs you were trying to link to.

Your votes are in and the Best of July have been determined!

Top Five Animation

The top-ranked entry based on original material and winner of $250 is @Sexual-Lobster!

Top Five Games

Runner-up Animation

6. Adventures with Robotnik (and Kairi) - Green Soup and Seeds
7. Meanwhile at Nintendo...
8. Deadpool's Biggest Fan
9. Back to the Fuhrer
10. Sonic Funeral
11. Airsoft Guns
12. Yotam & Fantasia 16
13. Toll of the Lost 1
14. Asuna vs Yuuki
15. Childhood trauma
16. Purgatory Dreams - Tape One
17. School Girls Love Tentacles: Card 1
18. School Girls Love Tentacles: Card 2 (cinematic)
19. BLADE RUNNER 2049
20. Vineyard Institute: No Evil 026

Runner-up Games

6. Spank 18
7. Finding Jack's Treasure
8. Abandoned Hunting Escape
9. Crypt Shyfter: Moonbright
10. Faraway: Puzzle Escape
11. Pretentious Game 5
12. Exit/Corners
13. DarkTower
14. Crypt Shyfter: Mon Magma
15. Goats vs Cats
16. DATABITS(DEMO)
17. Phantom Reverse #6
18. Friend Clicker
19. CH8: Cyber Origins
20. Shekateka

The voter of the month and winner of honorary Supporter status is @Zyrrixxy!

Congrats to the winners and thank you everyone who participated in July! Including those who participated in the Ludum Dare 39 game jam, which brought a lot of cool games to NG.

Coming next: New user pages and a new header bar, with new search and a logo variation for smaller spaces. Here's an in-progress mock-up, thoughts?

Best of July 2017 & Updates!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-07 15:15:18

Wow! Congrats for the winners in this month!

About the update page, looks great, I can't wait!

2015 - 2020 Iori Licea. Making Fun For Everyone! ^w^

BBS Signature

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-07 15:19:58

At 8/7/17 03:05 PM, TomFulp wrote: Coming next: New user pages and a new header bar, with new search and a logo variation for smaller spaces. Here's an in-progress mock-up, thoughts?

I think it's nice you're finally considering a cleaner, more modern approach to design compared to the current layout. The way the stats are laid out reminds me of Twitter. Nonetheless, by the way it looks, it does seems to be better organized this way and less cluttered. I support this.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-07 15:54:59

I'm digging the new aesthetics, flat colors with accents seem to work pretty well. I really miss the discrete city background on forum posts from the pre-2012 era, tho :(

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Ooooh, the new tank logo looks sick.

I really like the flatter look. Pulling away from textures and gradients is a good direction. It almost makes me think, though, that the star and the mail glyphs in the top right are too "dynamic" looking for the new design. In any case, I love it.

EDIT: I didn't want to neglect the new NEWGROUNDS logo either. It looks really nice. I'm excited to see this new branding in the wild.

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-07 16:28:20

I like the new two-tone 'Newgrounds', and I don't mind the more rounded font... not a big fan of that more stylized tank design, however. I think the one you're using now, sans tankman, would be better.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-07 16:41:04

At 8/7/17 04:28 PM, RobertClock wrote: I like the new two-tone 'Newgrounds', and I don't mind the more rounded font... not a big fan of that more stylized tank design, however. I think the one you're using now, sans tankman, would be better.

The one we're using now doesn't scale down well - all the details get blurry / muddy. Putting the NG tank in small spaces has always been a tricky one.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-07 17:12:55

I think the username should have a solid color background, or be situated where there is one. It would make the username easier to read and would prevent it from blending in with the background.

Also, some coloring options would be great. It would make the profiles more personalized, and would please those who have been upset with every YouTube profile redesign since 2011 for its lacking customizability.

It looks good overall, hype ^^

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-07 17:28:39

At 8/7/17 05:12 PM, GreenSoap wrote: I think the username should have a solid color background, or be situated where there is one. It would make the username easier to read and would prevent it from blending in with the background.

I've been concerned about that too... Kinda waiting to see how much of an issue it is.

Also, some coloring options would be great. It would make the profiles more personalized, and would please those who have been upset with every YouTube profile redesign since 2011 for its lacking customizability.

We are planning to let people set their color! I'd like it to even impact the color for "NEW" in the site logo :)

BBS Signature

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-07 17:51:21

At 8/7/17 03:05 PM, TomFulp wrote: Coming next: New user pages and a new header bar, with new search and a logo variation for smaller spaces. Here's an in-progress mock-up, thoughts?

When's the expected date to when the new design is up? It looks real slick!

I really don't know what to put on here.

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-07 18:10:20

Congrats to all the winners! Ludum Dare was pretty rad and there was a buncho cool games.

Also the search is pretty awesome, I'm glad that being able to search by license in the audio portal is rolling out soon too along with it from what it looks like.

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-07 18:31:38

As long as the username has a decent stroke or dropshadow, then I don't see any real issues. I think the clean UI looks great.

Is there any designs as to how content on the userpages will be displayed yet?

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-07 18:41:44

OH MAN! That new user page looking siiiick!
What's the banner size going to be? I want to make sure I've got something ready day 1!

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-07 19:05:54

Mmm that profile page looks mighty tasty <3

It's a watered down version of what we already have and a shameless aping of Youtube's design, all the way down to where every feature is arranged. The upload button, the bell/star for interactions and your user account to the far right. The current header we have has all the options I need for my account, PMs, the dumping grounds, my projects, my settings, logging out and uploading all arranged in a horizontal row. You are effectively making the header less streamlined and more divided with this Youtube ripoff by keeping some options on the header and hiding the rest in a pop-up/drop-down menu. It even rips off the Youtube design down to cropping the user icon into a circle.

The more you inch closer to being Youtube, the less I care about this site.

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-07 20:00:16

No way! Thanks so much everyone!

Congratulations to the people and their submissions!! :D
I wish I can someday make a sumbission that gets popular... because, what is the humanity without an objective to chase in his/her whole life? :D
The new twitter-look-like profile looks great! You developers are doing an amazing work with those dynamic and comfortable UI :D
Salutations

Putting the "pro" in procrastination since 2000.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-07 23:56:29

New user page design looks fine, a bit like other popular websites, but I suppose that helps with ease of use.

Digging those advanced search options. Very uesful when you're looking for a specific submission but can't remember the name.

While I'm on the subject of searches, more specifically the audio portal. Searching by license is sweet, if you need something to use in a movie or game, cutting out things you can't use is a great first step. But I feel like we could do better. Incompetech (you know, where all the overused Kevin MacLeod music is from) has a system that let's you search by feel, like calm or epic or triumphant and what have you. It's very useful when you don't know what you want for a scene in terms of genre. It's a bit subjective, but I find it a great help. The trouble with implementing such a thing is there wouldn't be "feel" tags for any content older than the system, especially by inactive users, but this could be solved with volunteers sort of like converting all the old swfs to video format. Hell, the whole system could be community based with users supplying the tagging info, which would solve the subjectivity problem too. I know that this would be a huge undertaking, and I don't expect it to happen or anything, just throwing the idea out there.

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-08 01:07:39

The Shantae hype is alive and well! SHANTEA AIN'T GOIN' NO WHERE!

If you lived thru the pandemic this is your wake up call to stop being a shithead.

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-08 04:39:43

Those new look userpages are gonna be tight.

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-08 10:41:51

Congratulations to all the winners and the user pages looks great. I am looking forward to seeing it. Actually right now I am not a supporter but looking forward to being one, can someone please tell me how the advanced search works and looks like

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-08 11:50:27

i like the thought to make the user pages look more awesome!

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-08 11:56:07

The header bar looks great, though I'm not sure about changing the tank design. It's just so iconic of the site, but at the same time maybe it is time to modernize the design...

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-08 11:58:32

At 8/8/17 11:56 AM, KeedKayNein wrote: The header bar looks great, though I'm not sure about changing the tank design. It's just so iconic of the site, but at the same time maybe it is time to modernize the design...

I'm pretty non-nostalgic nowadays, not to mention the logo on the site currently is already different than the one we use on the shirts / traditional logos. We'll have to decide what we use where long-term... If everything is the same or if we have different large / small versions.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-08 13:57:17

Those new page headers are going to be sexy as hell. You should buy beer for everyone working on that.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-08 15:58:52

A new tank logo? Well, as long as it fits I guess...

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-08 17:55:25

The new search is fantastic!!
I pulled up the "advanced" option and was thrilled to see it had all my wishlist items!

Being able to filter by genre and whether or not it's been front paged is wonderful!!
I like the approximate length search for audio.
But I also wish that you could select a range (ie) between 1:05 and 1:35 or something like that?

The userpage mockup is great too!
People hated when YouTube took away the ability to really personalize your userpage. So Newgrounds upping the personalization is a great step. It will make profiles feel more like small personal websites! Something that I think people will be eager to share :)

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-08 18:20:26

At 8/8/17 05:55 PM, Noodle wrote: The new search is fantastic!!
I pulled up the "advanced" option and was thrilled to see it had all my wishlist items!

Being able to filter by genre and whether or not it's been front paged is wonderful!!
I like the approximate length search for audio.
But I also wish that you could select a range (ie) between 1:05 and 1:35 or something like that?

The userpage mockup is great too!
People hated when YouTube took away the ability to really personalize your userpage. So Newgrounds upping the personalization is a great step. It will make profiles feel more like small personal websites! Something that I think people will be eager to share :)

Glad you're liking it so far! And that is the big hope with the new user pages - we're trying to have NG take a step into the background, which is why our navbar for games / movies / etc. isn't at the top. The pages will also render well on mobile, making it much more attractive to share stuff like blog posts on social media.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-09 14:17:43

Tom when should we expect the new site update?

Check out my work at MysticSkillz

BBS Signature

Response to Best of July 2017 & Updates! 2017-08-10 10:02:21

The mockup... it's amazing and finally looks like something. The old one was kinda weird.

When you're sad, just remember you're not allergic to chocolate. Unless you are. Then I got nothing to say to ya.

BBS Signature