00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

punk563 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flash 2020 and the Future

123,810 Views | 261 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2020-02-23 03:03:00

smh adobe

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2020-05-10 09:31:05

At 3/28/19 08:15 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/27/19 10:06 PM, aidannibbles wrote: Tom. I have a question.

Will the old animations uploaded in flash format be deleted or still could view.
We won't be deleting any SWF files. You'll still be able to view them with our standalone player, which we'll be releasing soon.

Apologies for being a necromancer.

But there is a solution to run swf files in the browser and display them as HTML5 canvas.

https://github.com/ienaga/swf2js

I have tried it and it works pretty well. Almost naturally.

I don't think any standalone player is required if something like this can be successfully integrated to Newgrounds. ^^

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2020-05-10 10:38:02

At 5/10/20 09:31 AM, Debellator wrote: Apologies for being a necromancer.
But there is a solution to run swf files in the browser and display them as HTML5 canvas.

We’re doing this currently with Ruffle.rs, which is further along.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2020-09-09 20:06:17

Man, I was very worried about this news of the end of the flash, I love Newgrounds, I spend hours on it, and just thinking that he might not be very prepared for the death of Flash already breaks my heart.

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2020-09-10 13:09:16

At 9/9/20 08:06 PM, ABrazillianBoy wrote: Man, I was very worried about this news of the end of the flash, I love Newgrounds, I spend hours on it, and just thinking that he might not be very prepared for the death of Flash already breaks my heart.

I know how you feel. I've played a lot of flash and seen a lot of flash movies for as long as I can remember. Looking back on them brings back a whole lot of memories.

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2020-09-10 19:47:47

At 9/10/20 01:09 PM, Joeycool1210 wrote:
At 9/9/20 08:06 PM, ABrazillianBoy wrote: Man, I was very worried about this news of the end of the flash, I love Newgrounds, I spend hours on it, and just thinking that he might not be very prepared for the death of Flash already breaks my heart.
I know how you feel. I've played a lot of flash and seen a lot of flash movies for as long as I can remember. Looking back on them brings back a whole lot of memories.

Yes, Flash was part of the childhood of 96% of the people here at NG. Whether it's Pico School or Madness combat, you're already dead, I mean, you've watched or played a flash.

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2020-09-11 08:31:00

At 9/10/20 07:47 PM, ABrazillianBoy wrote:
At 9/10/20 01:09 PM, Joeycool1210 wrote:
Yes, Flash was part of the childhood of 96% of the people here at NG. Whether it's Pico School or Madness combat, you're already dead, I mean, you've watched or played a flash.

Exactly man... it's my first ever post here, even though I've used this site for a decade or more, and it's simply a FACT that these Flash-made things are a TON of people's actual childhoods... the things they came home from school to, and felt comfort with...

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2020-09-21 22:41:58

At 5/10/20 10:38 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 5/10/20 09:31 AM, Debellator wrote: Apologies for being a necromancer.
We’re doing this currently with Ruffle.rs, which is further along.

I'm super glad to hear that. Never understood the hate for flash, it fueled the creativity of thousands of people. thanks for the efforts since forever

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2020-10-11 14:18:31

LONG LIVE NEWGROUNDS! But seriously, why would Adobe do this.

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2020-10-15 11:25:05

Thank you newgrounds, Tom Fulps, and Flash for helping me get inspired to start my animation career. I had a ton of fun uploading animation to see what people thought of it, regardless of it being hated or loved. Also thanks so much for preserving all of that history- it means a lot!!

Keep on rocking in the HTML5 world.

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2020-11-14 23:20:28

will the Newgrounds Player still work after the flash support fully goes away?

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2020-11-15 09:05:36

At 11/14/20 11:20 PM, jasonkent91 wrote: will the Newgrounds Player still work after the flash support fully goes away?

Newgrounds Player will continue to work but the Flash runtime might have a kill switch that will de-activate at a later date. If this happens, Newgrounds Player users will need to update their Flash runtime to an older version that does't have the kill-switch (there are archives of the different versions). Ideally Ruffle will be pretty far along before that happens.

BBS Signature

At 7/26/17 01:36 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/26/17 01:31 PM, Kwing wrote: Was this inevitable, or did Apple successfully slander and suppress Flash to get it to this point?
Apple contributed a lot to the hate movement but this sort of thing was pretty inevitable as long as Flash remained a closed system. If the format could have become open it would have had a lot more support to remain in web browsers and Adobe could have still offered the premier tools to develop for it. In an ideal world, you would be able to make a game in Flash and release it directly to Xbox and Playstation, while also sharing your demo via an open source web player. All that never happened though.

apple always ruining things I swear.

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2020-12-15 14:03:23

At 7/26/17 05:43 PM, ma-d wrote: I've always seen Flash as a useful prototyping tool. I cant really think of anything that really can create stuff in the same way.

Its a mix of being able to draw, animations, drag and drop elements, chuck a bit of Actionscript on some symbols and you have something where the visuals would have been far more complicated to produce in a pure programming environment, but have the real time, random interaction elements that you cant get out of something like After Effects.

Same here. In 8 years since I moved on from flash, I never really came across another tech stack that was so good at rapid prototyping. Now I decided... fuck it... If I am going to go slow I am sticking with something that won't end up dead in 50 years.... C. Plain C.

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2020-12-26 08:31:55

Are there any updates as to what will happen to games that require flash which are already on newgrounds once flash is removed?

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2020-12-26 08:52:20

At 12/26/20 08:31 AM, LordofEverything wrote: Are there any updates as to what will happen to games that require flash which are already on newgrounds once flash is removed?

If Ruffle doesn't support them yet, players will have to launch them in our desktop player.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2021-01-01 14:35:52

At 12/26/20 08:52 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/26/20 08:31 AM, LordofEverything wrote: Are there any updates as to what will happen to games that require flash which are already on newgrounds once flash is removed?
If Ruffle doesn't support them yet, players will have to launch them in our desktop player.

where do i download the player ?

also will it play games from other sites or downloaded games

I'm desperately trying to find a way to save games from this sight, https://www.ferryhalim.com/orisinal/

but not being a flash creator I'm lost trying to do that.

i save the swf files but they don't play on GOM or KM player

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2021-01-02 01:30:19

At 1/1/21 02:35 PM, Phantom-pen wrote:
At 12/26/20 08:52 AM, TomFulp wrote:
where do i download the player ?
also will it play games from other sites or downloaded games
I'm desperately trying to find a way to save games from this sight, https://www.ferryhalim.com/orisinal/
but not being a flash creator I'm lost trying to do that.
i save the swf files but they don't play on GOM or KM player

I figured out the NGplayer and got it working - Is there anything like that for other pages like Orisinal

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2021-01-14 15:10:30

Dang now you cant play games here anymore :<

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2021-01-15 15:42:25

At 1/14/21 03:10 PM, GreatestPlan wrote: Dang now you cant play games here anymore :<

you can play games on newgrounds (not all of them).

most of the games were converted to HTML5 so you shouldnt worry

hello

BBS Signature

At 7/26/17 01:19 PM, TomFulp wrote: Yesterday Adobe announced they will end support for the Flash player in 2020. This means they will no longer make updates or patches for playing Flash content in a web browser and the individual browsers are onboard with removing Flash completely by the end of 2020. This means you will have no way to view an SWF file in a modern browser going into 2021.

A lot of people get confused by what this means, so I wanted to clarify a few things:

1. Adobe will still support Adobe Animate, their re-branded version of Flash. You can still use it to make animation but you will share it in video format vs SWF. Most animators are already doing this. Just about every animation you watch on NG is now an MP4 loading in an HTML5 video player.

2. No, people don’t need animation software that exports animation in HTML5 format. We just need animation to be in video format. We created Swivel for this many years ago and it’s super popular.

3. Newgrounds supports games in HTML5 format, which is becoming increasingly dominant. There is a big question of whether we will be able to preserve the 80,000+ games that were made in Flash. At the least, you could download and play them in an external player but we are hoping to have a solid web-based option by the time 2020 rolls along. Options include javascript that can interpret and run an SWF file, software that can convert existing swf files to javascript or something using WebAssembly, which is still maturing. A lot has been happening in this space but nothing is perfect at the moment.

4. The Audio Portal will be fine, with an HTML5 audio player.

5. The Art Portal has always been Flash-free.

A lot of people still don’t realize that NG has been transitioning away from Flash for many years now and 2020 won’t be as bumpy as some may think. The end of Flash won’t be the end of NG.

On the plus side, I got mentioned in NY Mag and was part of a Twitter Moment.

Some other things to note:

1. Flash was never the reason for bad advertising on the web, bad ad companies were. Most ads are now using HTML5 and the irony is they are larger files and often consume more resources than Flash did. We also have new problems, for example Flash-based ads were never able to steal focus from your browser and force the page to scroll back to the ad. HTML5 ads that do that have been cropping up on NG this past year and we have to chase them down. We’re also seeing more ads that do forced page redirects. This is why it’s a great idea to become a supporter, so you can browse NG ad-free and ultimately help us run less ads for everyone else.

2. Flash as a security threat was kind of a meme. Yes, Flash had vulnerabilities that needed to be patched and it was a bummer that it was a closed system. However your OS and your web browser also have vulnerabilities that get patched, as does all software. It became a popular thing to complain about but the reality is most people were getting their viruses and malware somewhere other than through an SWF file.

3. It really bothers me when people cheer the death of Flash. I totally get why it's time to move on but you shouldn't cheer the death of something that empowered so many people and brought so much joy to the web for 20+ years. I think it's a bandwagon that a lot of joyless people have jumped on, sorry if you're one of them.

Hope this clears up any confusion! If you appreciate our ongoing efforts around here, please become a supporter! For $3 a month you can browse ad free, get a ton of perks and contribute to the exciting future of NG.

In related news, this past week we unveiled Nightmare Cops at Comic-Con! This is the game I’ve been working on with @JohnnyUtah, @Spazkid and @Oney and it will be the first ever official Newgrounds game release for console and PC. It’s also the best game I've ever made and judging from the response at Comic-Con, it will contribute to keeping NG around for a good long time.

Check out the Behemoth Comic-Con Galleries: Preview Night, Day 1 & 2, Day 3, Day 4

You'll find never-before-seen pics of Nightmare Cops, along with our awesome Pit People arcade cabinets and the other cool games from the Friends of the Behemoth showcase: Salt & Sanctuary, Inversus, Rivals of Aether, Totally Accurate Battle Simulator and Oxygen Not Included!

I’m still in San Diego for a few days, to participate in a Power-up! Inside Video Games panel featuring the Behemoth. Both Castle Crashers and Alien Hominid are on display at the Fleet Science center as part of a gaming history showcase. Our panel is Thursday night so come by and say hi if you’re in town! Bring some questions about game dev and we'll do our best to answer.

You DONT even know how much you helped me avoid either a seizure or a heart attack or both.

P.S. Yea those that cheered for Flash Player’s Death are MORONS (sorry for the word but it’s true, it’s like those that want Rick and Morty cancelled for that video of Dan and the doll but he said sorry, what did he ever do to you ? Exactly what Flash is, Flash was the biggest part of my life, and now it’s gone. HTML5 made my browser so slow and it’s not even as good as they said it was, they just became a huge pain in the ass. Stickpage, God Bless that website other than this, was my childhood, now it’s a graveyard only those warriors of old go back there including me to play.

I thank god for Ruffle but they are fixing so many stuff since what they released is like an Alpha or something so it can’t play everything without having the A-something 3 player or something that is seen in Adobe Flash. Although you can’t play SWF games on the web, you can download the Flash 32 developer one, it’s allowed then you just browse for the file, perfect.

Thank you again for posting this. Helped me a lot and although I replied this too late, I read this a day after it was posted.

Response to Flash 2020 and the Future 2021-02-25 05:45:05

At 7/26/17 01:36 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/26/17 01:31 PM, Kwing wrote: Was this inevitable, or did Apple successfully slander and suppress Flash to get it to this point?
Apple contributed a lot to the hate movement but this sort of thing was pretty inevitable as long as Flash remained a closed system. If the format could have become open it would have had a lot more support to remain in web browsers and Adobe could have still offered the premier tools to develop for it. In an ideal world, you would be able to make a game in Flash and release it directly to Xbox and Playstation, while also sharing your demo via an open source web player. All that never happened though.

Why I prefer Android more