00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GodsPurpose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Allowed samples?

1,179 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Allowed samples? 2017-07-03 11:32:30

I have a simple question:

If there is a sample that was used by someone like skrillex in the past does that mean if you make a song with that sample in it, you cant upload it here?

Even if its completely original otherwise?

Even if its a different genre?

Because I'm making a song with the Ruffneck (FULL FLEX) Vocals....

They are from a sample pack so....

BBS Signature

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-08 13:51:59

bump

BBS Signature

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-08 14:30:16

At 7/3/17 11:32 AM, MkalluxMusic wrote: I have a simple question:

If there is a sample that was used by someone like skrillex in the past does that mean if you make a song with that sample in it, you cant upload it here?

Even if its completely original otherwise?

Even if its a different genre?

Because I'm making a song with the Ruffneck (FULL FLEX) Vocals....

They are from a sample pack so....

Which pack? Typically, buying a collection of samples will give you licence to use the material on it, so if that vocal came from a commercially available sample pack, Skrillex is unlikely to have any more claim over it than you do. As long as you have a legal right to use a sample, then you wouldn't be breaking any rules uploading a production containing it no matter who or how many other people have used it in theirs.

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-08 14:40:50

All samples used in Skrillex songs aren't liscenced by Skrillex. If the samples are from a sample pack it means you're free to use them for non-commercial purposes and, if the opposite hasn't been stated, commercial purposes

Just a random idiot

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-08 14:46:24

At 7/8/17 02:30 PM, BuzzkillSquad wrote: Which pack?

Urban & Dance vocals is what its from....

BBS Signature

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-08 17:08:21

At 7/8/17 02:46 PM, MkalluxMusic wrote:
At 7/8/17 02:30 PM, BuzzkillSquad wrote: Which pack?
Urban & Dance vocals is what its from....

Yeah, you should be fine with that

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-08 19:03:24

When I read the title I thought it was about those free samples you can get at the grocery store.

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-08 20:19:28

At 7/8/17 07:03 PM, Collio wrote: When I read the title I thought it was about those free samples you can get at the grocery store.

LMFAO

BBS Signature

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-08 21:58:35

At 7/8/17 02:40 PM, Ectisity wrote: All samples used in Skrillex songs aren't liscenced by Skrillex. If the samples are from a sample pack it means you're free to use them for non-commercial purposes and, if the opposite hasn't been stated, commercial purposes

This. As long as the samples themselves aren't copyrighted and you have the license to use them, you're fine. It doesn't matter what shitty mainstream artist also uses them.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-08 22:06:53

At 7/8/17 09:58 PM, EDM364 wrote: shitty mainstream artist.

"Shitty"? Skrillex may be shitty now but he wasn't back then.

BBS Signature

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-08 22:11:03

At 7/8/17 10:06 PM, MkalluxMusic wrote: "Shitty"? Skrillex may be shitty now but he wasn't back then.

Hey, personal taste. Brostep was great, but it hasn't changed a lot over the years, to the point of grating on my ears. Can only take so much 140 bpm 4/4 time.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-09 02:40:52

At 7/8/17 10:11 PM, EDM364 wrote:
At 7/8/17 10:06 PM, MkalluxMusic wrote: "Shitty"? Skrillex may be shitty now but he wasn't back then.
Hey, personal taste. Brostep was great, but it hasn't changed a lot over the years, to the point of grating on my ears. Can only take so much 140 bpm 4/4 time.

Can only take so much 140BPM in common time with a certain style of music, I might add. I'm now tempted to do a ceilidh dance track in 140BPM just because, now.

Public domain samples should be fine to use, right?

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-09 02:52:24

At 7/9/17 02:40 AM, Troisnyx wrote: Public domain samples should be fine to use, right?

Absolutely.

BBS Signature

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-11 11:39:52

At 7/11/17 04:43 AM, megabyte12345 wrote:
Well, to be fair, he had a few that were 150 BPM and I think 160.

And 128.... And even 127 and 145....

BBS Signature

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-11 14:39:06 (edited 2017-07-11 14:39:56)

At 7/8/17 10:11 PM, EDM364 wrote:
Can only take so much 140 bpm 4/4 time.

not all dubstep is 140bpm. What about 155bpm, 144bpm, 147bpm, 152bpm dubstep?

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-11 17:09:16

At 7/11/17 02:39 PM, UltraMX wrote: not all dubstep is 140bpm. What about 155bpm, 144bpm, 147bpm, 152bpm dubstep?

What difference does it make? Small tempo variances in such a homogenous genre are negligible. It's like telling someone not all DnB is 155-170 BPM. Of course it isn't, but that's the magic tempo range where people start to think about it. Just because not all dubstep is 140 BPM doesn't mean that 90% of it isn't, either. If you're nitpicking about my preferences based on such trivialities, maybe you should question why you feel compelled to defend a genre I'm not even saying you shouldn't like.

Here's my beef with dubstep, which I've already explained to some degree. You usually have a 4/4 time signature, some cheesy chords, a repetitive drop, etc., all crammed and sausage fattened to death with the same 2-step drum pattern and maybe some fills here and there. The genre has been gentrified to poppy norms to the point it no longer pleases me to listen to. That and the more of the same I hear, the more easily I can identify lazy production/mastering. And the mixing of popular artists is just getting obnoxious. Some dubstep songs sound like templates, for Christ's sake, or minor changes to other project files, shifted to a different key. I have the same complaints with hip-hop and pop, for the most part.

Almost every dubstep track I've seen works on some variation of this formula:
-32 bar intro
-32 bar drop with an A and B section
-32 bar bridge, A and B section
-8 bar build-up (risers or whatever cheesy shit people throw in here)
-16 bar outro

Also keep in mind few people even bother to have any sort of creative chord structure or melodic content on top of this very simple structure -- no key changes, no real emotive power, nothing. I run into maybe one or two good tracks a month that I can listen to, but seldom do I find one I want on a playlist.

I can tolerate a few good dubstep songs once or twice a day, and I almost always take the time to leave a review and help aspiring artists improve, but it's not my favorite genre anymore and never will be. Even UK styled dubstep is getting on my nerves. I prefer DnB and even terrorcore to most dubstep.

I also hate the absurd side-chain-everything trend that's going on. Side-chain is cool, but pumping sidechain to sound like everyone else in a way that draws immediate attention to itself is lazy.

Anyway, we're derailing a thread that's been largely resolved. Any further questions, send me a PM or make a new thread/post somewhere relevant and tag me.

BBS Signature

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-11 18:34:11

I honestly don't know how this got from a simple question to an argument about whether good dubstep still exists...

BBS Signature

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-11 22:11:45

At 7/11/17 06:34 PM, MkalluxMusic wrote: I honestly don't know how this got from a simple question to an argument about whether good dubstep still exists...

I've found very little dubstep this year that was actually very good. Most of the songs in my playlists range from songs made in 2011-2014.

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-11 23:47:41

At 7/11/17 10:11 PM, BlueAlpha14 wrote:
At 7/11/17 06:34 PM, MkalluxMusic wrote: I honestly don't know how this got from a simple question to an argument about whether good dubstep still exists...
I've found very little dubstep this year that was actually very good. Most of the songs in my playlists range from songs made in 2011-2014.

True, most dubstep these days are shit. Especially mainstream crap.

BBS Signature

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-12 00:59:52

At 7/11/17 11:47 PM, MkalluxMusic wrote:
At 7/11/17 10:11 PM, BlueAlpha14 wrote:
True, most dubstep these days are shit. Especially mainstream crap.

Which is why I have respect for artists who don't jump on the mainstream bandwagon *cough*riddim*cough*. Snails is a good example. I would give more examples like Skrillex or Barely Alive but let's face it even they went bad after a while.

If you want to continue this conversation, we should probably talk on my profile lol. I heard you can get punished for being off-topic ://. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on how awful new dubstep is.

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-12 02:16:13

At 7/12/17 12:59 AM, BlueAlpha14 wrote: I heard you can get punished for being off-topic ://. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on how awful new dubstep is.

It's not so much off-topic that'll get you in trouble, more flame wars.

@MkalluxMusic, we got here because someone took offense to me not liking Skrillex music, lmao. If you still have questions, shoot me a PM. Or just shoot me a PM anyway. Maybe ask me for music critique, w/e. I've been studying music and production since late 2005.

Also, back on the topic of samples, I do have a pretty huge library lying somewhere around here that I'd be willing to share over NG dumping grounds, and a couple links somewhere.

BBS Signature

Response to Allowed samples? 2017-07-12 12:30:28

At 7/12/17 02:16 AM, EDM364 wrote:
At 7/12/17 12:59 AM, BlueAlpha14 wrote: I heard you can get punished for being off-topic ://. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on how awful new dubstep is.
It's not so much off-topic that'll get you in trouble, more flame wars.

Still, I guess it's not necessary to bomb the notifications of the author when he was asking about samples, not if Skrillex sucks or not.

Also, back on the topic of samples, I do have a pretty huge library lying somewhere around here that I'd be willing to share over NG dumping grounds, and a couple links somewhere.

Same, I have many samples. Not purchased ones, though, because I'm not spending $25 on samples I can't even alter and make my music more unoriginal UNLESS they're drum samples. I have enough drum samples for free though.