00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mishirozen just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Super NES Classic Edition:September

1,024 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

That's right, Nintendo's smash-hit 2016 retro console is getting a sequel and it's coming out later this year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_NES_Classic_Edition

It will have 21 games in total: 16 universal + 5 region-specific titles.

Anyone else gonna try getting your hands on one?

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Super NES Classic Edition:September 2017-06-30 19:32:09

I'm debating on it. At $80, it doesn't seem like much of a deal compared to the NES Classic (before they start jacking the prices up on the resale market) But on the other hand, (The western version at least) get Earthbound, Super Castlevania IV and Super Punch-Out, in exchange for SSF:NC, which is a fair trade, considering that those games, especially Earthbound, are rather high in the resale market.

My hope is that they actually produce enough for demand unlike what they did with the NES classic, I would like to think that Nintendo would learn from their mistakes.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Super NES Classic Edition:September 2017-06-30 21:49:11

At 6/30/17 07:35 PM, Jurornumber3 wrote: I can just play all those games, and tons more, on my computer for free.

i guess people are paying for the novelty of having a fake old console, because all the Classic consoles are are emulator boxes with a very limited number of roms on them. playing any NES or SNES title ever produced is effortless if you have a computer with an internet connection. i don't like Nintendo's business practices and i have no intention of shelling out almost $100 for a piece of plastic that probably cost them $5 to stamp in a molding press.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Super NES Classic Edition:September 2017-06-30 22:52:15

I was never able to come across a NES Classic for my dad that wasn't $200+, so why would I not be bitter about the introduction of this thing?

Response to Super NES Classic Edition:September 2017-07-01 12:50:53

It's not worth the pain of getting one...
It's not worth the depression of never getting one...
I'll stick to my ROMS...

Response to Super NES Classic Edition:September 2017-07-01 13:06:13

No one's yet mentioned that this comes with StarFox 2, a previously unfinished and unreleased game. That's the biggest selling point. Earthbound and Final Fantasy III (under that title) have never been released in europe before this, so hat's nice too.

I'll probably get one as long as it doesn't sell out first, despite owning most of these games on actual cartridges. I just like this stuff, and with the game selection I'll put more than enough hours into this thing to justify it. I'm also enough of a sucker that I'm tempted to get all three regional variations.

For the average consumer though, I'm not really seeing the appeal. It's pretty expensive and for significantly less games than the NES classic. If it had virtual console support or any form of new games in the future then maybe, but like the NES this is probably going to be a limited edition console that's gone and forgotten in a few months.

Also it's a bit bizarro that the western version is getting Street Fighter II Turbo and Japan is getting The New Challengers, which is the same game but with four extra characters including Cammy. Why do that?

I see the japanese version is getting Super Soccer as well. I'll have a hard time believing that's a game anyone actually wants, I have several copies of it because people literally give it away with other games just to be rid of it. Including that instead of Earthbound a bit of a piss take. Really glad europe didn't get shafted with that, too.

Response to Super NES Classic Edition:September 2017-07-01 14:07:37

At 7/1/17 01:06 PM, Jackho wrote: No one's yet mentioned that this comes with StarFox 2, a previously unfinished and unreleased game. That's the biggest selling point.

Indeed, this will probably cause these devices to fly off the shelves in seconds.

Anyway, looking at this, I have some comments:

1. I already have Earthbound, Final Fantasy III (actually VI), Super Mario RPG, Super Castlevania IV, and Yoshi's Island on my Wii U, with the latter being the GBA version with six extra levels. I have the DS Kirby Super Star Ultra

2. Star Fox and the SNES Yoshi's Island never made it to Wii or Wii U Virtual Console. Why couldn't Nintendo work Super FX games into that?

3. Kirby's Dream Course...as a kid, that game frustrated the hell out of me!!! So many deaths...

5. Wanna bet that Star Fox 2 will end up on the Switch (assuming the Switch can handle Super FX games)?

I believe in the ultimate triumph of evil over good in this world.

It doesn't help that we keep funding our enemies.

Response to Super NES Classic Edition:September 2017-07-01 15:05:52

I still have my original SNES with a few games. The problem I have with these systems that Nintendo keeps shilling out is that they have limitless possibilities to put a big number of good games out there but just throw out a few common games that are everywhere. ( Granted, some do have licensing issues or they might be somewhat dated but the games are still good)

Last year when the NES classic came out I was somewhat interested but figured it would be a scam and I was right. I even wrote a blog about it.

So with the new system coming out, I figured I'd write a little bit on what I think of the games coming out and see if it's worth it.

Contra III: The Alien Wars- I was never a contra fan. so, NO
Donkey Kong Country I had the original 3 on SNES, I beat them so many times they weren't fun anymore.
Final Fantasy III- I might actually play this.
F-Zero- Played it, I have no interest in racing games.
Kirby Super Star- I still have it.
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past- I still have it on SNES and on Game boy Advance
Mega Man X-Had it and had it as part of the X collection. Again, I beat it quite a few times. not interested.
Secret of Mana- Never played this one. I played secret of evermore which was pretty good. I would play it.
Star Fox-Still have it
Star Fox 2- Meh. Could be good I guess.
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts-Played it, not interested
Super Mario Kart- OK.
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars- I've had this game so many times it lost all meaning. I beat it 100% once or twice. A good game but not worth buying a bunch of other games to play it again.
Super Mario World- Have it.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island-Have it.
Super Metroid- Good game, but again, I beat it so many times it's lost all meaning.

EarthBound- Seeing as how this game is extremely rare and expensive, I wouldn't mind playing it.
Kirby's Dream Course- If I remember this one correctly, it's like golf but not fun. Pass.
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting- I don't do fighting games.
Super Castlevania IV- Ok.
Super Punch-Out!!-I still don't do fighting games.

So with that being said, it hardly warrants me going out and buying the system. If Nintendo was smart, they'd just go ahead and release the entire libraries out on a system, charge a decent amount and quit complaining about the pirates that already have that idea and have been running with it for 15 years.

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to Super NES Classic Edition:September 2017-08-15 14:29:51

I have a SNES home so i don't need it

As nice as that is I already have all the games I could want and get on my 3ds at the moment ,I really need to play it more often.i wouldn't buy it just to play only one game on it like super Mario rpg as great as it is they should have available on the current nintendo systems they are still support

So I managed to snag one this morning.

It's the first *new console I ever got on launch day.

Anyone else get one or is waiting on an order?

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Super NES Classic Edition:September 2017-10-01 23:22:50

It's sold out everywhere here. People are selling them for ridiculously high prices on the internet. I hope they restock in stores soon.

Response to Super NES Classic Edition:September 2017-10-02 09:40:18

Nop, I have the SNES myself and i rather play on the original one then the remake. And 20 are not that many games

Response to Super NES Classic Edition:September 2017-10-02 13:08:49

At 10/2/17 09:40 AM, CaveDancer wrote: And 20 are not that many games

Well, there's Starfox 2.

Other than that, getting all the cartridges (on there that you don't have) would cost more than the system itself.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Super NES Classic Edition:September 2017-10-07 19:14:06

Well, seems it's still not in stock and the prices are pretty ridiculous. I'll buy this thing if I can get it but if I have to go out of my way or pay an inflated price I won't bother. It shouldn't be an uphill battle with Nintendo to buy one of their products, one they fully knew would have a high demand long in advance.

Response to Super NES Classic Edition:September 2017-10-08 02:43:48

At 10/7/17 07:14 PM, Jackho wrote: Well, seems it's still not in stock and the prices are pretty ridiculous. I'll buy this thing if I can get it but if I have to go out of my way or pay an inflated price I won't bother. It shouldn't be an uphill battle with Nintendo to buy one of their products, one they fully knew would have a high demand long in advance.

There's certainly way more of these on Ebay than the original NES Classic.

At least they accounted for the increased demand. But anything short of flooding the market will not overcome the recent scalping phenomenon.

But hey, the Switch launched in March, and despite the initial shortages there are store shelves just full of them.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Super NES Classic Edition:September 2017-10-09 08:44:27

At 10/2/17 09:40 AM, CaveDancer wrote: Nop, I have the SNES myself and i rather play on the original one then the remake. And 20 are not that many games

I'm with you.

Honestly, other than the nostalgia effect, I see no point in getting this. Outside of a couple of unreleased games, anyone that can take more than 5 minutes to do research can get all of this no problem.

Also, lookkieee here

http://emulator.online/nes/

ZOMG, YOU MEAN I CAN PLAY THESE GAMES FOR FREE WITHOUT EVEN DOWNLOADING ANYTHING. YOU GOTTA BE SHITTING ME LOLLMASLKD;FJASL;KD

NG Review Moderator // Pm me for Review Abuse

BBS Signature