00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Geometry Dash

791 Views | 5 Replies

Geometry Dash 2017-06-26 12:14:02

Why iI don`t have the resolution to use my own song created by me in the Geometry Dash?

Response to Geometry Dash 2017-06-26 13:30:32

Thanks for answer...

Response to Geometry Dash 2017-06-26 23:51:30 (edited 2017-06-27 00:03:07)

EDIT: I'm going to leave the rest of my post here and just change the mood, but to answer your question, if you want to have a sliver of chance to get your music on GD, you must own the rights to it. As in, you must have created it and own the rights to the material used in it, or at least the rights to post. I just looked through your songs and found stolen audio. So before you message RobTop, please at least ensure you're following our rules, or your audio will never get approved.

Also, don't steal. That's not a great way to get ahead anywhere in the world. If you read on, you'll see how lots of people doing just that ended up ruining it for everyone.

At 6/26/17 12:31 PM, NekoMika wrote: 1. You have to be scouted.
2. Due to years of GD users abusing our Audio Portal without caring if it gets the site taken down; Robtop is now the only one who can approve any artists. As far as everyone knows, he approves very artists at all now.
3. No one on Newgrounds can help get your music used in GD so do not ask or harass anyone to get your music to be usable in GD on here.

This approximates what we know from a systemic standpoint. Kind of a blind system concerning uploads and the GD API. No idea at present if it's no new songs PERIOD can get into GD without his intervention or no new USERS can get their songs in GD -- or both. It would be prudent to shoot RobTop an email, smoke signal, etc. You may or may not get an answer. I've dealt with several users who were not able to get a Y/N, across various issues.

@ZeroXXGGWP, you asked why you can't get your songs on GD. I'm not sure if you may also be interested in knowing how we got here. If so, read on. If not, someone else might be.

It all started with people abusing our portal for GD over a period of years, to the point artists petitioned for the removal of GD in the hopes of getting a response from its creator, who seemed to be just sort of willfully ignorant of what was happening in the wake of GD's overwhelming success. This petition was started by @Troisnyx, who soon received death threats once the game was taken down -- not by the petition, but by DMCA. @RealFaction's DMCA, it turns out. There was a significant amount of drama both on and off NG, as well as other social media sites.

The reasoning behind both the petition and DMCA was the same. Not only was NG's portal being abused (still is) as a song dump, but artists were livid their songs were being used in commercial game without their permission, against their licensing terms. Coupled with no discernible response from RobTop aside from disabling some IDs on request in the shadow realm, at which point people would just reupload them once they realized they could no longer be used, and the profit from ad revenue that he was making in the custom levels in the game, many assumed that laziness, lack of care, and/or financial motivation might be the driving force behind his lack or perceived lack of response. I can't count how many times I've heard about him not tending to emails, rushing out updates, or not updating at all. @BrenTheMan was able to keep contact with him as far as I know, so he could just be mind-numbingly busy. RL takes precedence.

Anyway, in short, things got really heated. Some thought the petition and DMCA were unnecessary and/or disrespectful and selfish. Others thought it was the only way we were ever going to get a response from RobTop. As quickly as that response finally came, you might be able to guess which camp I fell into, albeit reluctantly. Initially I was thrilled at the prospect of GD. Fast forward a couple years and it's a thorn in my side daily -- not the players, but the users who come here to break the rules and make it harder for those who want to use the game and our site legitimately in the process.

Looking back some years, the thefts exploded around the 1.9 update of the game, at which point custom songs were announced for GD's future. Emphasis was on the custom songs, not that these would be coming from a user-created content site of indie developers, musicians, and artists, designed for creators, by creators. The end result was that users thought they should upload whatever songs they liked, not songs they created, which ended up in a lot of rights being infringed and our Portal's inner workings being clogged to hell. This is the reality we still deal with today.

In response, NG team disabled downloads on unscouted tracks, posted warnings that only the blind could ignore, and implemented that GD API check so users could opt out of their audio being used, which served little purpose other than to frustrate the attempts of a determined pirating crowd who couldn't care less about our community or its rules as much as it delighted our creators. After all, the goals of the pirates and the goals of our community were diametrically opposed; pirates wanted to have their cake and eat it too, and NG stood to lose everything it stood for if someone rich and powerful should decide to sue us over rights violations that those pirates committed -- if we weren't able to act fast enough. This brings us about full-circle.

Eventually, a statement was released after GD was updated (and restored to Steam) which indicated some of the changes @NekoMika pointed out. It did not mention that the majority of Newgrounds was completely unaware anyone was doing anything about the problem, and it still did not discourage GD players from stealing, but it did say that GD inquiries should go to RobTop, not NG. Some of us would have preferred an apology or an admission of irresponsibility at the least, but hey. What's done is done, and we can't complain barring the constant stolen submissions we're still dealing with in the aftermath. The only people who have been really hurt now that things have seemingly quieted down are the small-time creators who may have a hard time getting in contact with RobTop for all the people asking for some other popular artist's music to become available in GD!

And there you have it. That's why we're where we are concerning GD. I hope you're able to get your (original) songs on there. If you do, let someone know, so all the other small guys out there know it can still be done!

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Geometry Dash 2017-06-30 22:07:38

Why did they do this! The only reason I'm really on Newgrounds is because I want to make music for my GD levels!

Response to Geometry Dash 2017-06-30 22:22:29

At 6/30/17 10:07 PM, Hypersonicly wrote: Why did they do this! The only reason I'm really on Newgrounds is because I want to make music for my GD levels!

^Read the post that's above your own

Just a random idiot

Response to Geometry Dash 2017-07-01 09:22:20

At 6/30/17 10:07 PM, Hypersonicly wrote: Why did they do this! The only reason I'm really on Newgrounds is because I want to make music for my GD levels!

Then you'd better leave.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature