00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread

34,529 Views | 529 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-04 01:26:01

Bring it on!

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-04 03:17:22

@BraydenGD http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/752083

yuuus I'm an underdog :D

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-04 07:12:45

At 7/3/17 01:12 AM, TaintedLogic wrote:
NOTE #2: your presence on this list does NOT mean you made it into the next round. It's meant solely for you to verify that the track associated with you on the judges' scoresheet is the one you want to tryout with.

I am unsure how to verify the track. How do I do this? Thanks!

At 7/3/17 10:04 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: So...it's come to my attention that the people on Discord have suggested splitting the All-Stars into 2 groups. This is in fact something I have considered in the past, and I think this year it'll finally happen.

I don't know exactly how we're going to deal with this problem yet, but I'd be more than open to feedback from anyone involved in the contest, especially the judges.

May I make a suggestion..?

I took ten minutes or so and compiled All-stars fan numbers into the spreadsheet (shown below). I noticed that there's quite clear gap between those who have 70 or so fans and those who have more.

The way i see, it would be best to split the all stars into two halves (as @Ceevro mentioned) at around the 75 fan mark. Then The upper half would have 48 members and the lower 49, and the fan amounts would be much more reasonably balanced within the groups.

Of course this introduces the problem that the two groups would be only half the size of underdogs and professional amateurs. If you wished to keep the amount of users consistent between groups, then I think it would be easier to just split those groups into half as well (maybe just name them as Underdogs-A/B and Prof.Amateurs-A/B).

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-04 12:56:52

Hey there I am! I can confirm Bass Dropin' is my entry, too!

At 7/4/17 08:50 AM, EverReverb wrote: May I make a suggestion..?

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to put this spreadsheet together, EverReverb! Splitting the All-Stars in half seems to be the way to go.

I'm still on the fence about whether to split up the other 2 groups too, though. As long as we accept the same proportion of members from each group, keeping the two All-Star sects smaller than the Prof. Ams. and Underdogs could still be fair...

Thoughts?

@Electronox Don't worry about it. With a quick check of your forum post history, I confirmed that the piece you posted here is the same as that on the judges' scoresheet. I just wanted to avoid doing that for nearly 300 people. XD

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~Kermit the Frog

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-04 13:40:44

Thoughts?

Yup I think as long as you keep the proportions the same, you wont have to split the other two groups.

Just a random idiot

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-04 13:44:47

I confirm that "Go Ahead" is the track that I submitted, good luck everyone !

Don't forget to go check my songs and/or remixs on my profil !

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-04 13:46:47

At 7/4/17 12:57 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: Thoughts?

In my opinion as long as the same % of users pass from each group, it is fine

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-04 13:50:56

@Ectisity @EverReverb Noted! Thanks guys. I agree. I'll finish hammering out the details, and update all of you sometime this afternoon.

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-04 14:06:07

Sooo. Whats now?

-Astedroid

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-04 14:07:31

At 7/4/17 02:06 PM, TardisPeanutMusic wrote: Sooo. Whats now?

The judges are currently judging everyone's pieces. We should be finished by July 9th.

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-04 16:55:11

At 7/3/17 12:59 PM, TaintedLogic wrote:
At 7/3/17 12:48 PM, phoenixapprentice wrote: Sooo we're allowed to change the song we entered, yeah? I'd like to enter this song instead of "The Chrome Piano"
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/743759
I'm afraid you're a little late, my friend. The submission phase is already over. We'll be releasing the results in a few days.

Dang it, that's what I thought, but I haven't really been keeping up with this thread :\

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-05 06:35:00

Whatcha talkin bout, it's always been NGUAC
Hahaha, we changed it last year to fit with someone's "guacamole" pun...I forget who made the original joke.

@BlueOceans Sure!

That may or may not have been me. I'll play it saffe and not take credit for it xD

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-05 06:47:38

ALSO hello all. I am sorry for not being active in the forums! I have just got some time finally to sit down and knock some of these songs to judge out. And I figured I might pop in for a quick HELLO and introduction!

Many of you are familiar faces....er....names and I'm crazy happy to be back judging for yall.

If you can't tell, I won 1st place in '15 as an UNDERDOG. This is why this contest is so awesome. People who haven't yet been recognized for their talent get to come to the forefront and prove their worth.

That being said, I along with some of the other judges LOVE to judge the rounds after the first super harshly. I can't NECESSARILY speak for the others 100% on that though. BUT if you see a score of mine that you aren't happy with, I will have detailed spreadsheet-ed scores breaking down everything that i separately judge on one track. The first round is different due to there being around 100 entries to judge, but there is still a spreadsheet, AND this round is judged a bit looser.

SO feel free to ask me any questions AND if I DON'T leave a review on your entry, PLEASE message me and I will TRY MY BEST to get to it. Life happens. You know how it is.

SO.

WELCOME. To the (4th? 5th? I have no clue) ANNUAL nGUAC COMPETITION. Albeit a late welcome and introduction, it's still here. So it counts.

Can't wait to listen to all this music.

Also as a little treat since I backed out of the NGADM and haven't uploaded in a while, ('scuse the shameless plug, besides, i guess it build my credibility?) I am uploading a fully mastered track that I FORGOT to upload for you guys!

SO yea.

Uh...fight to the death or...whatever :P

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-05 09:28:59

At 7/4/17 07:12 AM, Electronox wrote:
At 7/3/17 01:12 AM, TaintedLogic wrote:
NOTE #2: your presence on this list does NOT mean you made it into the next round. It's meant solely for you to verify that the track associated with you on the judges' scoresheet is the one you want to tryout with.
I am unsure how to verify the track. How do I do this? Thanks!

Step 1: Look at the post

Step 2: See that your name is on the post

Step 3: See that the song next to your name on the post is the right song

Step 4: Relax and know that the judges didn't fudge up their job

hey man, you uh you got something on your face right there, lemme just... ok, there we go, MUCH better, you are looking GOOD AS NEW

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-05 15:38:50

Yes. It's that song.

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-05 15:40:50

Alright, so the judges are judging now!

Good to know.

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-05 15:58:48

At 7/5/17 03:40 PM, Syzion wrote: Alright, so the judges are judging now!

Good to know.

We are judging and eating cookies, yes. Not necessarily in that order.

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-05 15:59:47

i assure you,

the judgement has commenced.

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-05 18:21:08

Name Ideas for the new group underneath Allstar (or above, whichever is better):

Skyscrapers
Maestros
Master composers (nod to Lego Movie)
Sound Manipulators
Average Joe's
Above Average Joe's
Tom's
Crazy Cats
Stratospheric Song Makers
The Half Stars

Like I said, a few ideas

DM me if you want a review!

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-05 18:23:40

At 7/5/17 06:21 PM, Spadezer wrote: Name Ideas for the new group underneath Allstar (or above, whichever is better):

Skyscrapers
Maestros
Sound Manipulators
Average Joe's
Above Average Joe's
Tom's
Crazy Cats
The Half Stars

Like I said, a few ideas

Wannabees?

Just a random idiot

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-05 18:29:01

At 7/5/17 09:28 AM, 1f1n1ty wrote:
Step 1: Look at the post

Step 2: See that your name is on the post

Step 3: See that the song next to your name on the post is the right song

Step 4: Relax and know that the judges didn't fudge up their job

Ah ok thanks! I can safely say that my song is correct! Thanks for the help!

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-05 22:41:37

Sorry for the delay, everyone!

We've decided to split the All-Stars into two groups. Even though these two smaller groups will have significantly fewer members than the Prof. Ams. or Underdogs, we'll be sure to accept the same proportion of users from each group into the next round.

The new group, called the Above Average Joe's as suggested by @Spadezer, will consist of participants with between 26 and 80 fans. All-Star status will now be reserved for those who have 81 fans or more.

I was originally planning on calling the new group the "Big Leaguers" (in keeping with the baseball terminology of "All Star"). But then I did some digging, and found out that @Spadezer had actually named the original 3 groups too. XD So, I naturally couldn't deny him the ongoing legacy as Official NGUAC Group Namer. ^^

Judges should continue judging the 3 groups as they appear on the spreadsheet. I'll oversee the splitting up of the All Stars (as they are currently labelled) shortly before releasing the results, in order to avoid confusion during the judging process. Thanks for your input regarding the creation of this group, everyone! :D

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-05 22:54:23

What? Big Dick Swingers not good enough for ya? I worked HARD on that name! Assembled a marketing team, conducted a meta-analysis of brand-name recognition in the foothills of Swaziland, and even sacrificed...well...SOMEONE'S firstborn to Samulis! ALL FOR THIS!

*ding*

SHAME.

*ding*

SHAME.

*ding*

SHAME.

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-05 23:14:47

At 7/5/17 10:54 PM, Ceevro wrote: What? Big Dick Swingers not good enough for ya? I worked HARD on that name! Assembled a marketing team, conducted a meta-analysis of brand-name recognition in the foothills of Swaziland, and even sacrificed...well...SOMEONE'S firstborn to Samulis! ALL FOR THIS!

*ding*

SHAME.

*ding*

SHAME.

*ding*

SHAME.

No no, it's gotta be YOUR firstborn to @Samulis. Or else he gets indigestion.

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-05 23:18:17

At 7/5/17 11:14 PM, FinnMK wrote:
At 7/5/17 10:54 PM, Ceevro wrote: What? Big Dick Swingers not good enough for ya? I worked HARD on that name! Assembled a marketing team, conducted a meta-analysis of brand-name recognition in the foothills of Swaziland, and even sacrificed...well...SOMEONE'S firstborn to Samulis! ALL FOR THIS!

This is true. @Samulis is a little fastidious when it comes to cultic sacrificial rituals.

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-05 23:20:48

What? It WAS mine! Bought him fair-and-square! Cost me almost a whole six-pack and three jelly doughnuts!

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-05 23:31:10

I was originally planning on calling the new group the "Big Leaguers" (in keeping with the baseball terminology of "All Star"). But then I did some digging, and found out that @Spadezer had actually named the original 3 groups too. XD So, I naturally couldn't deny him the ongoing legacy as Official NGUAC Group Namer. ^^

You're making me blush

DM me if you want a review!

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2017 Tryouts thread 2017-07-06 08:24:32

At 7/5/17 06:21 PM, Spadezer wrote: Name Ideas for the new group underneath Allstar (or above, whichever is better):

Skyscrapers
Maestros
Sound Manipulators
Average Joe's
Above Average Joe's
Tom's
Crazy Cats
The Half Stars

Like I said, a few ideas

I could agree with Maestros, Master Composers (I am also one who watches The Lego Movie), Average Joe's, Above Average Joe's, and The Half Stars.

BBS Signature