00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

switizuwu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Can you "speedrun" games

2,200 Views | 24 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Can you "speedrun" games 2017-06-10 02:59:22

I can "speedrun" some flash games , but it takes me some time to figure out what to do on an objective (not on all flash games thou) but in general i can speedrun most games or atleast try to

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2017-06-10 18:34:27

You could beat THPS3 in the matter of ~3 minutes, if you're a fuckin' master at it.

Time to bust a move and get it started. Time's wastin'.

-Mace 2.0

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2017-06-10 21:09:03

When I was a kid, long before youtube, I used to see how fast I could beat games. Most of them were platformers. Easy stuff like Porky pig's haunted holiday, super mario land for the gameboy, That sort of thing but never thought to record it.

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2017-06-12 10:16:38

I speedrun Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden II on NES (PAL versions). My times are 14 and 13 min respectively.

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2017-06-12 12:29:40

At 6/10/17 09:09 PM, Mrccbirdguy wrote: When I was a kid, long before youtube, I used to see how fast I could beat games. Most of them were platformers. Easy stuff like Porky pig's haunted holiday, super mario land for the gameboy, That sort of thing but never thought to record it.

Super Mario Land! There u got me! :D

In the first stage, I am as fast as the current world record (without cheating, without emulator software or alternative input devices). In the second stage, I was never able to keep up with the current record holder, so I gave up trying. :) Anyway, doing speedruns makes a lot of fun and I would even say I am a "natural born speedrunner", because I HATE collecting all stuff, doing side quests and other boring stuff.

Can you

Word Game Enthusiast | Words with Friends Gosu | Scrabble Sympathizer

BBS Signature

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2017-06-12 15:24:08

I used to speed run quite a few of my games way before 2013 came around ,I think a really good game to test is the earlier resident evil games

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2017-06-12 15:31:12

I speedrun HuniePop, and an flash game on teh BBC website which I run the Speedrun.com page https://www.speedrun.com/pyramidchallenge

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2017-06-16 00:12:34

i'm sure i could speedrun Resident Evil 4 if i really tried. i may have put more time into that game than any other in my life, i know every encounter like the back of my hand, know every enemy placement and the location of every item. i don't have the inclination to try, though.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2017-06-16 00:59:55

It doesn't matter the type of game, I don't like speedrunning. Part of the fun for me is discovering everything. There are also some parts of games where I like spending a ton of time on things because I find it fun (e.g. sidequests).

Just my opinion though.

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2017-06-16 02:21:51

At 6/16/17 12:59 AM, RydiaLockheart wrote: It doesn't matter the type of game, I don't like speedrunning..

^^^
This

I do study speed runners use some techniques they use for when I want to exploit/take advantage and do something specific in game, but even when I've done everything their is to do in a game I always enjoy just fucking around seeing what happens if I do certain things, studying how the game is made, finding ways to break the game, and etc.

Although speed runners do neglect the environment and a more relaxed approach to a game, they do however develop and employ the most efficient ways of doing things/fighting bosses, etc and they do know a hell of a lot about how game actually works.

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2017-06-16 07:00:21 (edited 2017-06-16 07:06:13)

You just need some general skill at the game and then a lot of time and effort put into learning it, as well as the important step of researching the game and planning out how you want to do it.

I don't speedrun games much myself since I prefer taking it slowly and methodically instead, and I like to let the story play out even if I've played it before. I could give a try to speedrunning a few games I know very well but I have yet to try.

An example would be Dark Chronicle or Dark Cloud 2 which I LP'd recently, it is a long game but if you know which enemy type drops the key to leave the dungeons ahead of time with some planning (since its always the same for every playthrough) then you can skip most of the fights and very quickly speed through the game, similar to knowing which geostones you need to build only the important buildings in the game which are needed to finish. I would try to speedrun the game knowing this stuff, but the problem is the game is bullshit with it's difficulty and without getting all the power up items and leveling up the weapons especially then the game could be impractical to beat. I know speedruns of it have been done so I could see how they handled it, but once I saw a speedrun was done of it I couldn't help but think like it wasn't worth my time to do it myself since they have likely got a good time on it and the amount of work I'd have to put into finding out if I could beat it or not wouldn't be good.

But of course you don't need to beat others, you just need to be happy with your own times, but it is hard to not feel that way when there are people out there who shit on eople who get inferior times as if they don't deserve to have a video of their own personal bests. I am sure that is the vocal minority though and most people who like speedruns don't act like that since it is stupid.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2017-06-16 20:52:05

Not me. It requires lots of training and discipline to speedrun games similar to a real Olympic athlete training for the gold. It also, for the most part, requires a community that you follow as well as a devotion to specific games, often training for months or even years doing the same game.

I would rather play self limiting challenges like low level Kingdom Hearts gameplay runs.

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2017-06-16 21:24:47

At 6/16/17 09:18 PM, MPPlantOfficial wrote: The only games I can "speed run" are Super Mario Land and Ninja Gaiden 1.

Though I still have problems with Ninja Gaiden 1 and 6-2, the part where you're scrolling to the right and a couple of flying Ninjas. I don't plan on developing my skills fast enough to reach world class though.

Takes more time and effort and isn't really worth anything other than bragging rights.

I did a speed run of Ninja Gaiden too. Whats your fastest time, I quickest for me was 22 minutes.

The only other 3 games I remember was Mike Tyson's Punch Out at 33 minutes, Super C at 20, and Mega Man 2 roughly 49

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2017-06-28 23:05:35

I think the only game I could speedrun if I tried is Resident Evil 4. I know a lot of the tricks and glitches speedrunners do with this game. I would need to perfect some of these tricks myself, though, like the Salazar glitch.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2017-06-29 00:58:40

I'm pretty good at Donkey Kong Country 2, but not on par with the guys that speed run it professionally.

BBS Signature

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2017-07-12 10:16:29

I've practiced lots on a Super Metroid Speedclear...

I know how to do the tricks like walljumping, shinesparking, alcatraz escape, and mock ball... but I'll be damned if I can remember the fastest route from start to finish and actually apply it in a coherent speedrun.

What usually ends up happening is I just sequence break the game and fuck around.

The skillcap on a Super Metroid speedclear is absolutely insane.

If I was ever trapped on a desert island for years... I would totally bring a SNES and Super Metroid. You could continue to perfect your technique for years.

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2017-07-12 12:35:30

I tried a 70-star run a while ago in Super Mario 64. I thought I could do it in 1:30:00 or so, knowing where all the (quick) stars are and just going by muscle memory. I was near the end of the game when I hit the 3:00:00 mark and gave up.

The only other speedrun I ever did was a Goldeneye run on Agent mode. If I remember correctly I beat it in 45:00 or so, which I was quite proud of though it's hardly an impressive time.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2018-08-15 13:05:36

i speedrun captain toad 64 and game and watch gallery 2 for fun. i actually beat the world records for both of them but i don't record any of my runs, so my records are not official.

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2018-08-15 14:54:27

I've been meaning to try learning the speedrun to TES Oblivion.

I overall love the game and the corniness of it and it's exploits are part of the fun, but overall I really don't do speedrunning.

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2018-08-16 05:11:22

Nah, speedrunning is boring. I like to take my time when I play games

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2018-08-18 19:08:54

I've broken a few community records in Guts And Glory.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2018-09-04 00:49:42

I used to be able to speed run Shadowgate. Once I started doing that, I decided I had played it way too much and stopped playing.

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2018-09-04 10:03:32

with enough time, i can pull off respectable times in my favorite video games.

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2018-09-13 04:53:17

No. I am a completionist. I always try to do EVERYTHING in a game, which really sucks for games like Baldur's Gate II, because there's so much to do. Actually, I just beat that game for the first time a few months ago...

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Can you "speedrun" games 2018-12-05 12:52:14

Nope, time pressure is the one of the few things I hate in gaming. Wouldn't force it on myself.