00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xo1029392 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

June COTM: STYLE SWAP!

30,668 Views | 390 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-11 06:04:07

Another WIP, just need to add yoda's legs and add a background. Any advice and criticism would be appreciated :D
I think I'm going to remove the writing and title the piece "Faster, you will go"

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-11 08:50:11

At 6/10/17 09:26 PM, OVCharlie wrote: Now for the shading / color tone changes....and of course a face. This is my first Pixel Art, any pointers from the pros? Not sure how I will get it so you can see the two walls, that's why I have the black line there now.

The black line is a bit harsh. I'd take a deep grey in the edge and feather it out while going to lighter colors. If you look at painting that is how it was done so just color match and then work on it. But whatever you do I suggest not doing a black line! Looks great so far, I love the idea.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-11 11:20:55

The black line is a bit harsh. I'd take a deep grey in the edge and feather it out while going to lighter colors. If you look at painting that is how it was done so just color match and then work on it. But whatever you do I suggest not doing a black line! Looks great so far, I love the idea.

Thank you. I modify the painting a little. I think I am 90% done. I'm having a real hard time with the face. Stylistically maybe I'll keep it as, but first I'm going to play with it on a different screen and see what I can do to make it look more face-like.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-11 11:23:55 (edited 2017-06-11 11:27:21)

At 6/11/17 11:20 AM, OVCharlie wrote:
Thank you. I modify the painting a little. I think I am 90% done. I'm having a real hard time with the face. Stylistically maybe I'll keep it as, but first I'm going to play with it on a different screen and see what I can do to make it look more face-like.

I realized after I uploaded it I made it too small (64 by 64 pixels). Going to have to resize it and see if it holds up.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-11 14:13:29

Decided to go with Tim burton style ash and pikachu

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-11 16:50:44 (edited 2017-06-11 16:55:14)

:A little confused on the rules.. if i take Simpsons tv couch scene for example, put it in renaissance, should i paint the characters realistic but with their features(blue curly hair, bald etc) in old clothing and such, OR like they are, yellow and simpsony-looking but oilpaint, that type of shading/lighting and so? Or is it up for interpretation? As long as it is two destinctive art styles? I feel like there are many ways to look at this.

I think you could either one its up to your preference

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-11 18:31:26

At 6/10/17 08:33 PM, produde123 wrote:

I love this piece!! But I feel like there's too much empty space but that could just be me?

Hey thx!

i was going to fill it in more but just didn't get to that point yet ;)
Now i finally finished ember so i just need to polish danny, work on the background a bit and think of a way to adjust the title so it would fit in more!

is it better this way with the attack surrounding him?

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-11 20:41:35

Now i finally finished ember so i just need to polish danny, work on the background a bit and think of a way to adjust the title so it would fit in more!

That looks awesome! But it is spelled "Symphony" ;)

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-11 21:19:42

I'm exited for this

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-12 02:52:42

That looks awesome! But it is spelled "Symphony" ;)

haha oops... in dutch it isn't so probably just got confused :p

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-12 03:16:46

At 6/11/17 06:31 PM, Eurns wrote:
At 6/10/17 08:33 PM, produde123 wrote:

I love this piece!! But I feel like there's too much empty space but that could just be me?
Hey thx!

Oh yes definitely taking this in the right direction (as per my opinion). And the attack "swirl" could even be another light source (although i'm not sure how green and pink light mixes?)

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-12 06:24:14

At 6/9/17 01:14 AM, MintyK123 wrote: Alright, here's what I've come up with. I know it's not the most colorful thing in the world but colors don't like me. Seriously you should see me try to draw something in color. It would look terrible :)

This is a really great piece but I've noticed that the Simpsons actually have very basic and limited cell shading, unlike what you have done there.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-12 07:26:08

This time im doing something a little out of my comfort zone! I never really draw humans, or humanly creatures, but i decided to try! I'm going to make Frida Kahlo, in her famous painting "Poor Little Deer" as a steven universe style and character. Its going to be slightly different from the original, due to changes that make it more recognizable as a steven universe cartoon style. I hope it turns out good!
Good luck everyone! C:

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-12 08:06:49

I feel like this competition will we swarmed with the mona lisa... maybe should have tought this one trough a bit more...

Anyway I try to make leonardo's masterpiece as an Art Nouveau piece.
Studying it makes you realize how much of a master he was.

'WIP' process-video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVrl8snNaMw

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-12 09:45:58

'WIP' process-video:

I like the style, ome of my favorites so far.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-12 12:00:08

First time participating, I will be trying to draw Murillo's painting in anime style

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-12 13:35:22

At 6/12/17 08:06 AM, Djoresh wrote: I feel like this competition will we swarmed with the mona lisa... maybe should have tought this one trough a bit more...

Anyway I try to make leonardo's masterpiece as an Art Nouveau piece.
Studying it makes you realize how much of a master he was.

'WIP' process-video:

WOW, this is incredible. The pose is nearly spot-on, I can't wait to see the finished piece. And yeah, even I'm doing the Mona Lisa..

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-12 19:54:02

At 6/9/17 06:40 PM, SparrishArt wrote: My in progress shot. Sailor Moon in the style of "The Swing" by Jean-Honoré Fragonard, 1767
Don't worry, this is only the under painting in acrylic paint.

Wow... I haven't worked with acrylic since 2008. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-12 22:07:01

I'm really new to this so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. Do I also link my W.I.P to the final piece of just post it here. Anyways, I'll do both just to be sure. The piece I decided to do was a screen cap from adventure time in the style of Van Gogh's "Starry Night"

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-13 02:39:49

At 6/12/17 10:07 PM, Echo-Reality wrote: I'm really new to this so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. Do I also link my W.I.P to the final piece of just post it here. Anyways, I'll do both just to be sure. The piece I decided to do was a screen cap from adventure time in the style of Van Gogh's "Starry Night"

This is looking good!
And in your final entry, put a link to your wip image on the description of your entry. That way Jazza will find it! You should uplod the wip picture on your account, not to this thread. You can look at my profile to see how i entered last time, you will find a wip upload and an entry upload!
Good Luck!

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-13 03:51:21

This is my wip! I hpe it turns out good. ANd i hope some people will recognize what it is.
But if you dont get it, it's Frida Kahlo in her painting "Poor Little Deer" , in steven universe style and character.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-13 04:52:01

WIP

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-13 04:52:57

coloured WIP

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-13 12:33:50

I'm planning to do this one boat scene from Tangled but i am trying to decide if I should go for a realistic or impressionist feel. Have to fix some proportions as well but the sketch is mostly done!

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-13 14:44:37

Finished my piece but I feel like it needs more...

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-13 15:33:28 (edited 2017-06-13 15:34:17)

Next WIP of my enty...

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-13 17:03:57

Owww! So awesome pieces you all did!
This is my own entry, I've drawn Luffy and his brother ACe from One piece in Adventure time's style!

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-13 18:20:37

decided to redo the gold pile I'll add some other stuff in it , fixed the lighting a bit.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-13 18:35:19

hmm... I submitted my piece in the beginners category because I'm only 15 years old, but now, i wonder if i should have done so......help? (my image is the first of this page).

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-13 18:55:24

Here is my WIP for the june 2017 c.o.t.m.
My idea is to have an adventure time scene in a Venture Bros style.
The left was my brainstorming for the challenge and the right was the pencil work for the actual piece.
I apologize for the bad quality of the photo, the camera on my phone isn't the best.
Anyways, hello Jazza from the United States!