00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

June COTM: STYLE SWAP!

30,695 Views | 390 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-07 18:12:25

At 6/5/17 10:16 AM, GrisRein wrote: If I want to draw a cartoon with say the Van Gogh style, do I need to use a scene from the actual show or can I just draw the characters doing something just in the style? (Sorry, if you don't really understand what I mean here, I'm not very good at explaining it :P)

I believe, as long as the styles are evident you can get away with taking any popular show and mixing Van Gogh style brush strokes and color schemes.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-07 19:05:29 (edited 2017-06-07 19:07:00)

I am sorry that the picture is a bit blurry, my camera was shattered. If you don't get the reference right away i'm gonna be a bit sad. But it is Princess Tiana and the Frog in Tim Burton's style. Is it good so far? This is just the sketch of it so far.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-07 19:16:44

At 6/5/17 09:02 PM, Zethma wrote: I have four concepts on my table and I am not sure which one to do. I love all four of them. I might end up doing all four but, of course, only submitting one of them. I am conflicted about sharing my ideas but I do not want to be 'that guy'. This community is so great and I think a free interchange of ideas is good.

Tim burton/star wars

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-07 22:24:26

At 6/7/17 07:16 PM, Tahiel16 wrote:
At 6/5/17 09:02 PM, Zethma wrote: I have four concepts on my table and I am not sure which one to do. I love all four of them. I might end up doing all four but, of course, only submitting one of them. I am conflicted about sharing my ideas but I do not want to be 'that guy'. This community is so great and I think a free interchange of ideas is good.
Tim burton/star wars

since a lot of people are doing Tim Burton, I am changing it to Hellboy comic style

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-07 23:45:42 (edited 2017-06-07 23:50:50)

Addendum: Sorry about the small sizes. Visiting the actual art page will show them at a larger size.

Not entirely sure which way I'm a go but do have it narrowed down to two:
WIP 1
WIP 2

The main modern artist is Iginio Straffi [of Rainbow Media Srl]. I will either swap styles with Rembrandt [Dutch Realism] or Art Nouveau. Rembrandt has stuck with me since high school while Art Nouveau has been around since Art History. Still working on composition but wanted to get my idea out before I change my mind; which won't be occurring anytime soon.

The pic below is one of the pieces but haven't fully flushed out a stable idea for the background.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 00:03:25 (edited 2017-06-08 00:04:10)

I already have an idea to what i want to do and what style, which is Van Gogh, tho I am completely lost and have no idea how to start even tho i already searched the internet for tips and information, any help?

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 01:14:57

I might participate! Funny how the deadline is on my birthday, haha!

I have an idea of making a Ducktales drawing in the style of Invader Zim! :D

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 02:10:33

Alright probably the last WIP. Is there any point in me trying to get smoother lines? I'm afraid I'm just going to keep digging myself deeper and overcorrecting. How are the colors? Do they work well?

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 02:38:21

At 6/6/17 11:18 AM, DuchessLunaire wrote: Line-art is mostly done, damm its hard to copy someones style X.x im not used to it XDD

Hahaha damn it. I did the exact picture and style

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 03:09:54

At 6/8/17 12:03 AM, ShootingPineTree wrote: I already have an idea to what i want to do and what style, which is Van Gogh, tho I am completely lost and have no idea how to start even tho i already searched the internet for tips and information, any help?

I have that problem. So I start with a line art then do a rough painting in greys. I am doing it in digital. If you are doing traditional, I am not sure.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 04:55:50

This is a cool COTM. Perhaps I may get my entry in this time around. I have a cool yet funny style swap think you guys & Jazza would get a good laugh. It's actually a combination of three or four things into a style swap. My ideas are written down but haven't had time to do a WIP because I've been getting interrupted by relatives asking for rides like Uber but for free and it's getting very annoying but eventually I'll post it up.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 05:09:36

My WIP of Titan with a Pearl earring.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 06:32:23

Here's a very early look at my WIP of Ducktales in Invader Zim style.

Guess who GIR will be. There's literally only one character that fits him from Disney. ;)

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 07:04:55

Lineart progress..

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 07:36:48

I'm doing a traditional over the garden wall x gravity falls!

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 07:36:59

At 6/8/17 05:09 AM, jryfree wrote: My WIP of Titan with a Pearl earring.

Can't wait to see this one done.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 07:37:17

At 6/8/17 06:32 AM, DoodlingHitman wrote: Here's a very early look at my WIP of Ducktales in Invader Zim style.

Guess who GIR will be. There's literally only one character that fits him from Disney. ;)

I really do not know the Ducks all that well but this looks great.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 07:38:30

At 6/8/17 04:55 AM, DaleWeber wrote: This is a cool COTM. Perhaps I may get my entry in this time around. I have a cool yet funny style swap think you guys & Jazza would get a good laugh. It's actually a combination of three or four things into a style swap. My ideas are written down but haven't had time to do a WIP because I've been getting interrupted by relatives asking for rides like Uber but for free and it's getting very annoying but eventually I'll post it up.

1) can't wait to see it. 2) I had that problem till I said no unless they pay for gas.

Keep up the good work and up you get into this contest.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 07:42:19

At 6/8/17 07:37 AM, Zethma wrote:
At 6/8/17 06:32 AM, DoodlingHitman wrote: Here's a very early look at my WIP of Ducktales in Invader Zim style.

Thanks man! Haha, odd that you don't know Ducktales that well. They're pretty known. :)

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 08:16:18

At 6/8/17 12:03 AM, ShootingPineTree wrote: I already have an idea to what i want to do and what style, which is Van Gogh, tho I am completely lost and have no idea how to start even tho i already searched the internet for tips and information, any help?

What excactly are you struggling with?

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 08:18:07

Still lineart in progress.. :)
Gonna continue this tomorrow.. :)

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 08:34:05

A bit more progress.

I am trying to figure out what the other characters need to do. I need to place Dewey and Louie still, and some others. I am having trouble with the witch, Magica. It's difficult to draw her head sideways. Beaks are hard.

Will figure it out though. I'm having a lot of fun with this one.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 08:45:24

here is my character with no background as a wip:)
what do you think???

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 08:53:41

At 6/5/17 04:28 PM, MagicalPotato wrote: Sketch of Mona Lisa in LavenderTowne's art style (search for her on YouTube).

lol i did mine with the mona lisa too! but mine is turned into tim burton style:)

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 09:54:39

I have a really neat idea that involves Sailor Moon, my all time favorite Anime heroine. I will be creating a traditional piece with acrylic underpainting, and possibly oil paints (if time allows). I will post a progress shot later in the month. Thanks for the inspiration!

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 10:05:07

There are some really great interpretations on here (lots of Tim Burton I see :) ), what a fun challenge. I won't be able to get to work on mine for a few days but have what could be a cool idea in my head. I just hope I will be able to pull it off convincingly.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 10:16:38

At 6/8/17 07:42 AM, DoodlingHitman wrote:
At 6/8/17 07:37 AM, Zethma wrote:

Thanks man! Haha, odd that you don't know Ducktales that well. They're pretty known. :)

I watched Tailspin and not ducktales. I know the song and some of the characters but I was a little older when it came out.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 10:21:46

At 6/8/17 10:16 AM, Zethma wrote: I watched Tailspin and not ducktales. I know the song and some of the characters but I was a little older when it came out.

I've never heard of Tailspin, heheh.

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 11:21:39

Someone please give me critiques on this? sommin looks off to me and i cant point it out...

Response to June COTM: STYLE SWAP! 2017-06-08 11:42:12

At 6/8/17 11:21 AM, JenniferV wrote: Someone please give me critiques on this? sommin looks off to me and i cant point it out...

looks pretty good but the proportions of the upper body looks kinda off. try shortening it and making it less straight by adding some more curvature, i think that ll make it look a little bit more natural no? Also there's something weird about her right hand ;)

but the rest looks great! cant wait for the finished piece :)