00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MagDeWarrior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Returning to NG, audio use question

1,079 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

This forum *seems* to be the best place to bring this up, please forgive me if I have it in the wrong place.

I used to come here and find audio that could work for future animation projects, and I always saved ones that were available for use along with giving the artist credit. However, upon returning, it seems like 99% of everything I had saved now says "Please contact me if you would like to use this in a project. We can discuss the details." This strikes me as a bit odd, because several of these songs are from people who haven't been active on NG for years, and even my one (and only) audio submission says it as well, and I remember having it set for free use.

I tried digging around for info and I can't find much of anything, so if anyone can help out, that would be awesome. I've recently become reignited to animate something and it's a bummer to see the "please give credit" option for audio gone, especially on songs by artists who haven't been active in forever, because I can't simply contact them.

I guess the question would be: What should I do concerning music/audio for my content? NG has such talented people who were willing to allow use with credit, but it appears there was a change in the system and I don't know how to contact some of these people. There aren't really places that have music with such a variety as here and I'm not sure exactly what to do if I can't easily contact the people whose work was available to use with credit that are no longer active here before everything changed. I'd prefer to keep using NG as my source for audio and music, because you guys do some of the coolest stuff I've ever heard.

Response to Returning to NG, audio use question 2017-06-01 22:17:50

welcome back old timer. nah it hasn't changed that much. sure the layout changed but music gets a lot more diverse now.

of course the license things is gonna be a problem if you need commercial or non com for animation. there's hell lots of remix too. i wish Tom has the option to list all the CC license songs.

Response to Returning to NG, audio use question 2017-06-01 22:28:59

At 6/1/17 10:17 PM, SnowTeddy wrote: welcome back old timer. nah it hasn't changed that much. sure the layout changed but music gets a lot more diverse now.

of course the license things is gonna be a problem if you need commercial or non com for animation. there's hell lots of remix too. i wish Tom has the option to list all the CC license songs.

It's weird how so many things randomly changed to the current license thing. I *know* the majority of my saved stuff was free to use with credit. I doubt every single person magically decided to change all their licensing to that at the same time, especailly the people who have been MIA for 5+ years, haha. I know I didn't, yet my one audio piece was changed to it without my knowing.

Response to Returning to NG, audio use question 2017-06-02 12:49:53

At 6/1/17 10:28 PM, Axolotl wrote: It's weird how so many things randomly changed to the current license thing. I *know* the majority of my saved stuff was free to use with credit. I doubt every single person magically decided to change all their licensing to that at the same time, especailly the people who have been MIA for 5+ years, haha. I know I didn't, yet my one audio piece was changed to it without my knowing.

you can change all your song license at once with the Global Setting on top of your audio page.

Response to Returning to NG, audio use question 2017-06-02 15:05:55

At 6/2/17 12:49 PM, SnowTeddy wrote:
At 6/1/17 10:28 PM, Axolotl wrote: It's weird how so many things randomly changed to the current license thing. I *know* the majority of my saved stuff was free to use with credit. I doubt every single person magically decided to change all their licensing to that at the same time, especailly the people who have been MIA for 5+ years, haha. I know I didn't, yet my one audio piece was changed to it without my knowing.
you can change all your song license at once with the Global Setting on top of your audio page.

Oh yes, I know that's an option, but it's a shame that so many now-long-gone users won't be updating their license info.

Response to Returning to NG, audio use question 2017-06-02 19:00:31

At 6/2/17 03:05 PM, Axolotl wrote: Oh yes, I know that's an option, but it's a shame that so many now-long-gone users won't be updating their license info.

It had to default to that with the new system for that reason. All tracks instantly cant become free, for one NGs can't assume that and secondly changing the default license without a creators permission could put ng in a lot of trouble. :)

BBS Signature