• 17 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
EfreetArtificer
EfreetArtificer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist

I see that many users make threads where they post their doodles, wips and art in general that doesn't go to the art portal, so I decided to make one too. I want to show my art even if I don't think it's good enough for the art portal, and this thread seems right for that. Also, it takes so much time to finish a piece now that I (have a life and) go to university that it just wouldn't feel right to only post when I finish those pieces.

Now, I must warn you: I'm not a great artist, and I'm certainly not very good with some tools (like acrylics and watercolors), but I'm always trying to learn new things as long as my wallet can handle it. My best art tends to be digital, but I recently got really interested in alcohol based markers too and I'd like to git gud with them.
This first wip is a drawing I'm making for a friend's birthday, I'm using alcohol based markers on it. Unfortunately, I can't find Copics where I live and it's not possible for me to import them from the US due to my current economic state (do they even ship to other countries?), so these markers I have are not the best quality, and it shows in this drawing, you can see the pigment breaking apart a little instead of blending. I'm gonna try to fix it with colored pencils later, maybe that works out.

Anyway, this already got too long, so I'm just gonna shut up for now and show you the picture.

I hope you like it and enjoy your stay in my thread~

Hi, decent doodles and wips inside~

EfreetArtificer
EfreetArtificer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Hi, decent doodles and wips inside~ 2017-05-23 22:03:30 Reply

Some progress. It already looks better...

EfreetArtificer
EfreetArtificer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Hi, decent doodles and wips inside~ 2017-05-25 20:14:24 Reply

Another WIP, starting out with some rough value painting.

Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist

Hello there, welcome to the forum. Thats a Myr there isnt it? Always good to have another MTG fan in the community. When working with greyscale its important to watch how the contrast develops and make sure its defining your shapes as much as you can to get that illusion depth and form you want. That owl is pretty sweet, I love copics too. I look forward to your updates.

You are not prepared...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

EfreetArtificer
EfreetArtificer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Hi, decent doodles and wips inside~ 2017-05-26 16:08:40 Reply

At 5/26/17 07:40 AM, Template88 wrote: Hello there, welcome to the forum. Thats a Myr there isnt it? Always good to have another MTG fan in the community. When working with greyscale its important to watch how the contrast develops and make sure its defining your shapes as much as you can to get that illusion depth and form you want. That owl is pretty sweet, I love copics too. I look forward to your updates.

Yes, it's a Myr! MTG tends to be an inspiration for my stuff.
I'm still learning about greyscale and that painting is in its very early stages, so I will keep that in mind.
Here's the owl now, by the way, it's almost finished.

Jenny-Jinya
Jenny-Jinya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Hi, decent doodles and wips inside~ 2017-05-26 17:29:13 Reply

I really like how you did the feathers, I always struggle with this kind of stuff :D Good Job!

EfreetArtificer
EfreetArtificer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Hi, decent doodles and wips inside~ 2017-05-26 17:48:18 Reply

At 5/26/17 05:29 PM, Jenny-Jinya wrote: I really like how you did the feathers, I always struggle with this kind of stuff :D Good Job!

Thanks! I often struggle with feathers too, it was kind of surprising to see this turn out so well ^^'

Also, here it is again but with a background, it's finished~

EfreetArtificer
EfreetArtificer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Hi, decent doodles and wips inside~ 2017-06-01 18:14:22 Reply

Expect slower updates, I still have some exams coming up and I want to do my best.

Today I made a drawing of Aelita from Code Lyoko, It was going well but then I messed up her hands :v
I wanted to practise my inking and also coloring with pencils. My inking really sucks, as you can see on this wip. I already made some mistakes and I even smudged the ink on her shoulder. Better keep practising...

EfreetArtificer
EfreetArtificer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Hi, decent doodles and wips inside~ 2017-06-09 11:06:50 Reply

Simple decorative drawing of birds WIP

EfreetArtificer
EfreetArtificer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Hi, decent doodles and wips inside~ 2017-06-14 20:46:12 Reply

I finished the birds some days ago, only now I have some free time to post it.
I'm sorry for the crappy quality, but all I have right now is my phone's camera. I really wish I had a scanner so you could see all the colors. I tried my best to make the drawing look cute, definitely out of my confort zone, I hope you guys like it.

Also, I got some extra money this month, so I bought new art supplies: watercolor paper, a kneadable eraser, a multiliner and a binder for my drawings. I'm still missing masking tape and some brushes, which I might buy later this month. I think most of the money that I make selling my art will go towards art supplies for now, and I will be able to save up for copics and better watercolors.
I want to go back to drawing my own stuff, so I might post some doodles before I start another one of these drawings.

EfreetArtificer
EfreetArtificer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Hi, decent doodles and wips inside~ 2017-06-20 12:21:23 Reply

I started this digital painting yesterday to practice semi-realism. As you can see, this is very incomplete.

Now that I settled into my new temporal home, I already feel a lot better and ready to work on stuff. However, since my mom came to visit and help me with some stuff, I have been almost forcibly dragged all around the city with her and as such I haven't had much time to study and paint.

As a side note, I was wondering if I should upload this painting to the art portal when I finish it, I don't feel ready to judge if this is good enough to go there yet.

EfreetArtificer
EfreetArtificer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Hi, decent doodles and wips inside~ 2017-07-17 11:40:03 Reply

Watercolor doodles, I tried something more abstract than what I usually do.
They're weird but I like them, idk. I had fun painting these.

Louisetheanimator
Louisetheanimator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Art Lover
Response to Hi, decent doodles and wips inside~ 2017-07-18 04:05:55 Reply

Your artwork is nice I like it though I'd suggest looking at tutorials on how to improve. I hope this helps. ^^

BBS Signature
EfreetArtificer
EfreetArtificer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Hi, decent doodles and wips inside~ 2017-07-18 16:38:47 Reply

At 7/18/17 04:05 AM, Louisetheanimator wrote: Your artwork is nice I like it though I'd suggest looking at tutorials on how to improve. I hope this helps. ^^

Thanks! I watch tutorials and speedpaintings very often, actually, even when I already know how to draw what the tutorial is about. I think im now at the point in which I have to improve by making more stuff; once you know the theory, you can only get better by practise.

Louisetheanimator
Louisetheanimator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Art Lover
Response to Hi, decent doodles and wips inside~ 2017-07-18 16:42:37 Reply

I see that makes sense. ^^

BBS Signature
EfreetArtificer
EfreetArtificer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Hi, decent doodles and wips inside~ 2017-08-05 09:48:52 Reply

Have some creature sketches while I try to convince my computer to work...

EfreetArtificer
EfreetArtificer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Hi, decent doodles and wips inside~ 2017-08-16 11:36:14 Reply

Pencil drawing inspired by the Yggdrasil (work in progress)

EfreetArtificer
EfreetArtificer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Hi, decent doodles and wips inside~ 2017-08-28 12:10:59 Reply

I was invited to participate in a convention and as such I have been drawing a lot, but didn't get much time for posting.