00:00
00:00

NGCHIPS I

4,200 Views | 87 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello! This is NGCHIPS I, the contest with anonymous judging where you make a song based on a theme in a week from scratch!

Link to the website, with the theme.

Hang out in discord and chat!

* How to submit: Submissions will open on the website on May 12. You should also PM your song to me so I can ensure no one was missed. Do not post it in this thread. This contest is anonymous!
* Start: RIGHT NOW.
* End: May 16 at 11:59:59 EST.
* Theme: Go here.
* Judges: Everyone who participates!

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-10 00:16:38 (edited 2017-05-10 00:21:36)

Frequently Asked Questions & Miscellanea

I just found out about this. Can I still join?

Absolutely! All you officially have to do to enter is submit a track. You can fly totally under the radar and never even post in the thread, if you'd like (though I recommend hanging out and chatting with everyone!)

Are teams allowed?

Yes. You may work with other people. I highly encourage you to be sneaky about it for the extra fun factor when we all try to guess who submitted what songs in the judging round. :)

Is sampling okay?

Yes, sampling is fine! The music will not be hosted on Newgrounds for the contest, so feel free to do whatever you want. I feel confident in saying that in a small contest amongst friends we will not receive any takedown requests. :) If you want to upload to NG later, though, it'd be advisable to follow NG's rules, but this is not a requirement for this contest.

Is there a minimum or maximum length requirement?

Nope.

How closely do I have to adhere to the theme?

There will be a theme adherence category in voting, but theme adherence will not be part of your overall score. The point of the theme is to be an inspirational leaping off point, not a requirement. It's possible we'll have "try to NAIL this theme" compos in the future, but NGCHIPS I is accepting of all styles.

This sounds like fun but I can't made it because I left my cookies in the oven and I should really be getting back. When's the next one?

The next one will be May 27- June 4. In the future all NGCHIPS will be weekend to weekend.

How will judging work?

The judging phase will begin when NGCHIPS I is finished. We'll have a couple of different categories, you'll score the tracks (hopefully on the website), and it'll calculate the scores. I will normalize votes so that people who score lower on average and people who score higher on average have the same effect on scores. If there's interest, we could even livestream the awards. :)

If we get a very large number of entries, we may break voting work into chunks. We'll see!

What if someone submits and doesn't vote?

In absence of a fantastic excuse, they won't receive the scores and reviews on their own track.

Why is it called NGCHIPS?

Because it goes stunningly well with NGUAC.

Huh?

When the NGUAC runs, inevitably some people won't make it to the next round. NGCHIPS will always be around for those people. So you see...

NGCHIPS scoops up the NGUAC.

I'm going to now tag everyone who posted in the last thread that they were interested, so they know the contest has started!

@McGorilla42
@Akaruhime
@midimachine
@Troisnyx
@SkyeWint
@etherealwinds
@LunacyEcho
@Gragon73
@Yoshiii343
@1f1n1ty
@HeliXiX
@TaintedLogic
@drumdude
@BlueOceans
@Ectisity
@MetalRenard
@LucidShadowDreamer
@MactaMendax
@AceMantra
@bolisa
@poinl
@primallightmusic
@Neon-Bard
@Rahmemhotep
@JDawg00100
@ClandestineTemple
@ThatsVile
@Katnip18
@Zechnition
@Spadezer
@Madze
@UltraMX
@endKashika
@ZipZipper
@Demon-Wolf
@EverReverb
@Ceevro
@papkee
@thenoodge

Even if your name is not on this list, you can still participate!

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-10 01:43:17 (edited 2017-05-10 01:51:04)

I'm such a dumb that in the excitement of posting I forgot to attach the most important image of all - the ONE TRUE EXPLANATION OF NGCHIPS - as seen in revelation by @1f1n1ty.

Ah, there's nothing quite like using a triple post to spam up the BBS!

NGCHIPS I

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-10 02:09:25

The website is down, any way you could include the theme here so I can think about it while at work and be prepared when I get home?
Thanks!

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Veteran REAPER user. Production Director on NGAP15 - ask me for anything you need.

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-10 02:24:44

Oops sorry about that, the website is getting SLAMMED with HUGE AMOUNTS OF TRAFF- oh no wait it's just I'm a terrible programmer nvm

Here's a full copy of the theme text and links to the images. Hopefully I get the server back up soon and no one ever has to refer to this post in the future!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wind howls in the distance as you survey the landscape. You can see for miles in any direction, but the land you see is desolate. At once in the past a great civilization must have lived here. You still see some of their buildings still standing in the distance, now decaying into ruin and being overtaken by vegetation.

You choose a point on the horizon and walk. What is your destination? What are you seeking? And what happened here?

This week's theme is: abandoned world.

Good luck, everyone!

IMAGES FOR INSPIRATION:

http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Nier-Art_09-02-15.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0e/c8/0e/0ec80eea12a596e99ad8bc59bb3f042a.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/75/54/01/755401e5d1e492679267b06d704d16ca.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-10 02:27:18

yea fix yo site ya goose

p.s. i am gay

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-10 02:45:32 (edited 2017-05-10 02:45:54)

honk

site should be working, can someone confirm?

NGCHIPS I

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-10 02:48:54

At 5/10/17 02:45 AM, johnfn wrote: honk

site should be working, can someone confirm?

Works!

^_-

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-10 07:54:43

WOOOOOO LET'S GOOOOOO

Abandoned world? SOUNDS EASY! LET'S GO!

hey man, you uh you got something on your face right there, lemme just... ok, there we go, MUCH better, you are looking GOOD AS NEW

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-10 08:18:05 (edited 2017-05-10 08:18:22)

At 5/10/17 07:54 AM, 1f1n1ty wrote: WOOOOOO LET'S GOOOOOO

YEAH! RAWRRR!

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-10 09:04:07

Really like the theme! I've already got to work, but I just realised how little time I have for this. In between studies, gigs, boyfriend and family, I just realised I might only have half of today and tomorrow and maybe a couple of hours before next week Wednesday. Goodness. Can't wait to hear everyone's entries! :)

hemlo yes i am the do durgs

johnfn made me this signature because i placed 6th in ngadm and only 5th and up got cool signatures but lets face it this is better

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-10 09:10:22 (edited 2017-05-10 09:10:52)

:D

Reminder to come hang out in discord! We've got a fairly decent little group in there chit chatting about stuff (and sometimes working on music).

I'm also working on the website so you can help me figure out what stuff to add, etc.

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-10 10:03:38

Think I might participate. First theme is quite my cup of tea as well.
Joined Discord channel aswell.

|| https://lichlord.bandcamp.com (Soul Consumption Manifest) || Hellektro & Dark Cinematic Musician ||

|| https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/826825 (Album Stream) ||

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-10 10:54:31

Yay! It started!
Now to work on my entry this evening cause no PC ATM

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-10 12:19:45

Yeahh sooo excited

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-10 16:11:21 (edited 2017-05-10 16:13:21)

Submission on the site seems to be working! I've added users, user profiles, compos, and compo entries. I've made a beta contest called "bad programming" that is dedicated to you guys trying to break my server as bad as possible.

http://www.chipscompo.com/compo/2

Feel free to sign up and submit all sorts of dumb stuff. Fair warning that I will probably delete it tomorrow :)

I'm going to bed now. Assuming all goes well (and the server isn't ablaze when I wake up), I'll open up submissions on the real compo tomorrow night!

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-10 16:50:03

john plz forgive me when u check ur site logs. i couldn't resist lol. occupational habit.

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-10 22:21:51

I WUV DEEZ CONTESTS <3

I think I'ma go for it.

Never stop creating.

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-11 10:49:16 (edited 2017-05-11 10:50:12)

IMPORTANT:

I am thinking about running a synclisten on May 20. Idea: a bunch of us all get on Discord and listen to the entries all at the same time.

I need to know what hours everyone is awake in order to schedule this so the most people can make it.

If you're interested, please go here and fill out which times you're awake IN EASTERN STANDARD TIME. If we get enough interest then I will notify everyone with the time.

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-11 11:31:15

Just wanted to say 'thank you' for hosting such an awesome competition. Not only is the theme itself really inspiring, but having such a tight deadline really motivates one to get creative and not get stuck on old musical ideas. Looking forward to seeing more of these in the future!

Quick question: I assume we don't upload our works to Newgrounds until after the deadline, correct?

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-11 11:33:28

At 5/11/17 11:31 AM, EagleGuard wrote: Just wanted to say 'thank you' for hosting such an awesome competition. Not only is the theme itself really inspiring, but having such a tight deadline really motivates one to get creative and not get stuck on old musical ideas. Looking forward to seeing more of these in the future!

Quick question: I assume we don't upload our works to Newgrounds until after the deadline, correct?

This is correct, otherwise it wouldn't be anonymous. The link to the website is in this thread but I'll also put it here: http://www.chipscompo.com/compo/1

Listen to my stuff pls

http://kalviter.newgrounds.com/

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-11 12:19:54 (edited 2017-05-11 12:34:39)

At 5/11/17 11:31 AM, EagleGuard wrote: Just wanted to say 'thank you' for hosting such an awesome competition. Not only is the theme itself really inspiring, but having such a tight deadline really motivates one to get creative and not get stuck on old musical ideas. Looking forward to seeing more of these in the future!

Glad to hear it man! :) I'm planning on one every other week. The date of the next one is already on the website!

I'm also thinking about a "dumbcompo" in between where we goof off and do stupid stuff.

Also Kalviter's answer was exactly right so I don't even anything else to say.

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-11 14:05:55

Quick question! Are remixes allowed?

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-11 14:09:20

At 5/11/17 02:05 PM, Katnip18 wrote: Quick question! Are remixes allowed?

Ah, good question. No, remixes are not allowed - the idea is that we will be comparing everyone's original work.

We might have a remix competition in a future DumbCompo though!

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-11 23:06:55 (edited 2017-05-11 23:07:05)

You. You who made the first submission.

You are so bad at being anonymous

So bad

God

hey man, you uh you got something on your face right there, lemme just... ok, there we go, MUCH better, you are looking GOOD AS NEW

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-12 06:46:54

At 5/11/17 11:06 PM, 1f1n1ty wrote: You. You who made the first submission.

You are so bad at being anonymous

So bad

God

wait who was this haha

p.s. i am gay

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-12 14:31:24

Goddamnit!!!! I started listening to one of the entries, and I haven't started on mine yet. I was going to take the whole weekend to work on it. Now I've got to not let what I've heard seep into what I'm writing. Such a bad idea! Idiot!

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-12 18:25:54

Guys why the fuck would you put your id in the track.

So much for anonymous.

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-12 18:49:28

Is the theme... Bad Programming? Or Abandoned World?

Both have a countdown, just want to make sure I'm writing for the write theme.

Never stop creating.

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-12 22:23:44

At 5/12/17 06:49 PM, frootza wrote: Is the theme... Bad Programming? Or Abandoned World?

Both have a countdown, just want to make sure I'm writing for the write theme.

Abandoned World is 1st compo, bad programming is for page testing. this is 2nd one and TBA.

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson