00:00
00:00

NGCHIPS I

4,171 Views | 87 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-19 07:00:24 (edited 2017-05-19 07:06:56)

At 5/19/17 05:16 AM, EvilRaccoon wrote: Can I suggest one thing before you go any further with your site? It's probable this looks to be an amazing constant for a good time to come, therefore it'll be best to maintain page naming conventions. This means anyone back tracking a number change is all they need to jump from one competition to the other, it also keeps things clear in what page refers to a competition, and which does not.

Thanks for all the feedback man. Much appreciated. <3

I understand this recommendation, but one reason I have stuck with a very simple compo/### scheme is that I am hoping in the future to have many different types of competition types - chips, dumb, maybe remix, even art and game! Doing compo/### allows me more freedom so that I don't have to worry if I want to use www.chipscompo.com/dumb for something else later down the line. (Alright, I probably won't use /dumb, but you know ;-)).

One thing I can do to help this problem is to have a clearer delineation of compo types directly on the site. Right now, dumb compo, chips compo, and even bad programming are all mixed up in the same section. I could break this into categories, and I bet it would be a lot easier to understand.

The page for a Chips Compo could also have a clear link to the next/previous Chips Compo, and that would be easier to navigate as well, I hope.

If this continues to be such a huge success for say 6 months it could also benefit the likes of Newgrounds to adopt this challenge as part of their website, so everyone is uploading in the same place, playlists are defined easily, ease of audio access with minimal clicks, then beyond the date of judgement our names are basically switched on, etc.

Yea, I understand the desire for a direct link with NG, but I don't think it's going to happen. There are many reasons for this. Don't get me wrong, I love NG as a community! But:

1. I would like to spread this contest into more communities later on. I think that too strong an association with NG would confuse people who are not part of the NG group.

This is by far my biggest concern. NG has a great community of great musicians, but I'd love to draw from other communities as well, with their own styles and interests. More musicians could only be a good thing, right?

2. I want to be clear here, again no ill will towards the NG community and developers at all! But Newgrounds does a lot of things, and audio only gets a very small slice of Tom's focus. I can iterate far far faster on features, since audio is 100% of my focus on Chips Compo. For example, you get notified on Chips Compo when someone favorites your track, and you know who it is without even having to look at their user page! Amazing! :-) You can also have better discussions on an audio track because the author and a critic can go back and forth as much as they want (rather than one review - one response - that's it). And keep in mind I've only been working on this site for about a week.

Playlists are totally on my TODO list. Step #1 was breaking out the audio into it's own player, which you probably noticed happen the other day! :)

Again, I'm very thankful for the NG system, and it's actually kind of incredible it exists at all given that NG's focus is so much more on movies and games. I just think that a 100% music focus will help us improve. :)

And put you right at the head of the challenge, especially if you have to disappear from the site (holiday, work, life, etc).

3. I understand the concern that if I go away, the contest also goes away. My ultimate goal here is to build chips compo to work even if I'm not involved at all. Then even if I'm on break, you or someone else can flip the switch on a new compo without me being involved whatsoever.

There's a lot of potential in what you have done, and a lot of hard work too. I know this may sound like a very automated way of thinking, but it's also to make sure you continue to create music as part of this, I see no reason to why you shouldn't be involved in the creative challenge too, and we all love a bit of @JohnFN.

Hey, who said I'm not? ;-)

A quick addition, you may also want to have link/credit to artist where the inspiration images come from, just to give you a bit of additional security, and I know it's not much, but it somewhat promotes the artist who has successfully inspired.

Completely agreed, this was a definite mistake of mine. A couple of people called me out on this already, and I definitely won't put up more art without proper attribution. (And hey, if anyone knows good artists who would like to submit their artwork to be used in CHIPS COMPO, by all means send them my way! :))

You could also create a theme submitter, where people vote on. Basically a poll to keep ideas fresh.

Totally agreed and is in fact on my TODO list already :-)

As I said. This is such a great idea, and has a huge amount of potential! Amazing so far.

Thank you again for the great feedback. I'm always interested in hearing what you or others are thinking.

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-19 08:36:34 (edited 2017-05-19 08:38:41)

At 5/19/17 07:00 AM, johnfn wrote: Thanks for all the feedback man. Much appreciated. <3

Organisation of Comp
I think what you said is spot on, having navigation for these comps will be best. :) I'd imagine that newcomers will be interested in the winning tracks too so this is a good way to clarify that with ease. It's also a good way to track your own progress.

: On Newgrounds Integration:
For the reasons you discussed I completely understand where you are coming from. Having control dependent on you alone gives you (and us) faster iteration time indeed, and your activity strengthens that reasoning. Having a place where we can focus on audio but with this community is a great idea, but the inclusion and expansion beyond that betters everyone, and opens a whole new vision of opportunities. The voting however could need a bit of work, as if one comp gets 60 songs, that's a lot of voting. But the comment section on NGs is perfect reason alone, mind. :P

For the reasons you mentioned, you incidentally changed my view.

: Playlists:
Yeah it was amazing to see you do that, were you linking to the content or were you uploading to your own space? I actually prefer not to see the wave form as I think it can spoil the immediacy of audio. The visual representation tells us what to expect, and that just takes away the roller coaster. I tend to not look at soundcloud while im on it, and I've seen other people jump straight to the louder bits knowing thats where the climax is.

:Your involvement and abscence:
That's great to hear, I'll be honest and say apart from a few I found the artists really hard to decipher who was who. If you have to head on a break, It sounds great that you'd feel comfortable leaving it to someone able, who has the time.

: Artists credited.
That's great news! I think Artstation.com is among the best of resources. An environment, character, asset, vehicle etc is enough to establish inspiration. But im coming from an artists perspective, so other users here might be a better shout to help identify other means of inspirational sources. I suppose text and moving imagery (of all sorts) would be others.

:Theme Poll:
Amazing! Looking forward to it!

Thank you again for the great feedback. I'm always interested in hearing what you or others are thinking.

You're welcome, something like this is really exciting! And great to think we don't have to wait 6 months or so for an event to all be invested as a community, sometimes these comps (NGADM, and AIM) lands on heavy workload times for me, but the week after for instance I had time but the AIM was finished. So having it short and sweet really focuses. And imo that's a massive selling point of Chips, and pretty much the USP of the site. audio challenges year round!

Will the foundation brief change? So for this one it's 'Be Inspired by'. Others it could be, "Use this melody/midi", "compose to this", "80's theme."? It truly seems the start of something with a massive volume of possibilities!

aka. Peter

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-19 12:34:19

At 5/19/17 08:36 AM, EvilRaccoon wrote: Organisation of Comp
Organisation of Comp
: I think what you said is spot on, having navigation for these comps will be best. :) I'd imagine that newcomers will be interested in the winning tracks too so this is a good way to clarify that with ease. It's also a good way to track your own progress.

Exactly, yeah.

The voting however could need a bit of work, as if one comp gets 60 songs, that's a lot of voting.

Completely agree. In future compos, what I'm thinking about is that everybody is, by me, randomly assigned up to 20 MANDATORY entries to review, and the rest they can do if they have time. I think 20 is a reasonable amount to ask from everyone (that's about an hour or so of listening, and you have a whole week) and should be fair to all. :)

If I can get to it, I might even do it for the current compo, but I'm cranking so hard on doing results right (that and my laptop basically decided this would be a great week to totally break down >_o) means that it could be tough.

For the reasons you mentioned, you incidentally changed my view.

Glad to hear it! I was a bit worried that people would be like 'OMG YOU ARE ABANDONING NG!' but in fact everyone seems totally onboard :)

Yeah it was amazing to see you do that, were you linking to the content or were you uploading to your own space?

My own space! The idea is that the songs are hosted with the site, rather than having them be hosted on a bunch of different sites (soundcloud, instaudio, clyp...), and inevitably getting lost or removed. I learned this from Ludum Dare, which is a game contest site. They let all their users host their own games, but years later, almost all of them are taken down :( Sucks.

I actually prefer not to see the wave form as I think it can spoil the immediacy of audio.

You know, that makes a lot of sense, and I didn't even think about it. It's a great point.

Your involvement and abscence:
That's great to hear, I'll be honest and say apart from a few I found the artists really hard to decipher who was who. If you have to head on a break, It sounds great that you'd feel comfortable leaving it to someone able, who has the time.
Artists credited.
That's great news! I think Artstation.com is among the best of resources. An environment, character, asset, vehicle etc is enough to establish inspiration. But im coming from an artists perspective, so other users here might be a better shout to help identify other means of inspirational sources. I suppose text and moving imagery (of all sorts) would be others.
audio challenges year round!

Precisely! I think that rapid deadlines, combined with excellent feedback, is probably the best way to get better. :)

Will the foundation brief change? So for this one it's 'Be Inspired by'. Others it could be, "Use this melody/midi", "compose to this", "80's theme."? It truly seems the start of something with a massive volume of possibilities!

Man I'm glad you're excited about this as I am! Those other themes are exactly the kinds of ideas that I had for future DumbCompos. Course, the goal of DumbCompo is to break people out of being self-critical by having them do something so dumb that you can't criticize yourself for. So I was thinking of some REALLY dumb stuff, like, "make a song that only uses this 1 sample (or maybe a dumb sample pack)", etc etc. Better not give away too much ahead of time ;-)

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-19 14:02:30

At 5/19/17 01:47 AM, johnfn wrote: Done with chipscompo 1 voting? BORED with chipscompo 1 voting? Didn't even enter chipscompo 1? That's fine! Announcing DUMBCOMPO 1, the compo where we do dumb stuff!

Anti-folk sounds dumb, I'll do that.

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-19 16:47:07

There will be a sync listen of the entries of Chips Compo I in Discord, May 20 @ 11PM EST.

A sync listen is where everyone gets together and listens to the songs at the same time, and chats about their feedback live. It's a really great way to get feedback on your songs - to be honest, it's better than even reviews, because you get a really strong sense of which parts are and are not working.

I strongly recommend attending if you can make it.

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-19 19:10:52 (edited 2017-05-19 19:12:02)

I'll be hosting a sync listen for those who can't make it to the above one May 20, @ 4PM EST in Discord
As some people Seem to be sleeping or working during the first sync listen, I'll be be hosting another sync listen (hope that's ok with you @johnfn) May 20, @ 4pm EST, 7 hours earlier than the original one
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Countdowns:

Original Sync listen: https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20170521T06&p0=187&font=cursive

Ectisity's Sync Listen : https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20170520T23&p0=187&font=cursive

Those should you the correct time remaining until the sync listenings. Just to avoid timezone confusion.

Just a random idiot

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-20 02:00:41

@Ectisity 's sync has my blessing. :)

Thanks @Ectisity for helping those who can't make the first one!

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-20 14:27:59

At 5/20/17 02:00 AM, johnfn wrote: @Ectisity 's sync has my blessing. :)

Thanks @Ectisity for helping those who can't make the first one!

That's great, I should be able to join the @Ectisity, which is a few hours. The original is just too late for me at 3am start time ;)

aka. Peter

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-21 15:47:19

finally done the voting. didn't know you had to vote everything.

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-23 13:11:05

Results will be announced ON DISCORD at midnight, tonight!

Good luck, and hope to see you guys there!

(Results will be released online probably 30 minutes later for those that miss the announcement.)

@BlueOceans
@frootza
@LucidShadowDreamer
@Ectisity
@MetalRenard
@TaintedLogic
@JordanKyser
@1f1n1ty
@SkyeWint
@Yoshiii343
@garlagan
@Zechnition
@EverReverb
@Spadezer
@midimachine
@EvilRaccoon
@endK
@HarveyMcCloud
@LunacyEcho
@DemonWolf
@Madze
@TeslaX11
@Kalviter
@Gragon
@LichLord
@Conflagration
@bolisa
@Katnip18
@ThatsVile

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-23 13:24:31

At 5/23/17 01:11 PM, johnfn wrote: Results will be announced ON DISCORD at midnight, tonight!

Good luck, and hope to see you guys there!

(Results will be released online probably 30 minutes later for those that miss the announcement.)

By midnight you mean 12am EST and not 12am EDT, right?

Just a random idiot

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-23 13:28:01

At 5/23/17 01:24 PM, Ectisity wrote: By midnight you mean 12am EST and not 12am EDT, right?

Oops, yes, I mean EST.

The countdown here http://www.chipscompo.com/compo/1 is now counting down to the results!

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-23 14:57:52

At 5/23/17 01:28 PM, johnfn wrote: The countdown here http://www.chipscompo.com/compo/1 is now counting down to the results!

Would love to be about for it however, I'll be asleep as I have work a few hours later. :P

aka. Peter

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-23 16:04:52

Just realized that I registered on the site as a name that is different than my NG account, and also happens to be someone else's NG account. I guess I should reregister?

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-23 18:32:15

At 5/23/17 04:04 PM, thenoodge wrote: Just realized that I registered on the site as a name that is different than my NG account, and also happens to be someone else's NG account. I guess I should reregister?

Nah thats me too

hey man, you uh you got something on your face right there, lemme just... ok, there we go, MUCH better, you are looking GOOD AS NEW

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-23 20:58:25

spoilers: i win

nah jk probably not :v

p.s. i am gay

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-23 23:03:46

At 5/23/17 08:58 PM, midimachine wrote: spoilers: i win

actual spoilers: someone won

and boy did s/he write some music!

it had musical qualities

thats all you're getting out of me

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-23 23:44:34

At 5/23/17 11:03 PM, johnfn wrote:
At 5/23/17 08:58 PM, midimachine wrote: spoilers: i win
actual spoilers: someone won

and boy did s/he write some music!

it had musical qualities

thats all you're getting out of me

Much spoil. Big music. Wow.

"Reflect on your evils, lest they reflect on you." ~A Magic card lol --- Formerly "TheDoor6"

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-24 10:19:03

Wow! Thank you everyone for your fantastic feedback! The contest was amazing, I certainly didn't expect to be placed so high for so many categories! So I'm glad the track was enjoyable to many. The top reviewers really should be commended for their amazing efforts as well as JohnFN for holding an extremely successful contest. I

I can't wait to see what everyone comes up for the next one (unfortunately I'll have to skip it as i'll be abroad) but i'll try to find wifi points to listen and review!

aka. Peter

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-24 21:02:36 (edited 2017-05-24 21:08:28)

i predicted this (through strange method). told ya all im a magician. am i a prophet?

feel good to be in 4th place.

edit: lol number 20 on sound design, mofo i spent all 2 days making those sounds from scratch in Harmor and Serum u crazy ass voters. including the brawww sound, i did not use hybrid tools. :/

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-25 00:05:39 (edited 2017-05-25 00:06:41)

At 5/24/17 09:02 PM, SnowTeddy wrote: i predicted this (through strange method). told ya all im a magician. am i a prophet?

edit: lol number 20 on sound design, mofo i spent all 2 days making those sounds from scratch in Harmor and Serum u crazy ass voters. including the brawww sound, i did not use hybrid tools. :/

i think i gave u 4 or 5 for sound design but tbh nobody knows your process so if you make a bunch of sounds from scratch that happen to sound like nexus presets or whatever ppl are gonna vote with their ears. personally, i don't think presets are inherently a bad thing - if the inception bawwww works in your track you should use it and *fuk da h8rs*

p.s. i am gay

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-25 01:57:47

At 5/24/17 09:02 PM, SnowTeddy wrote: i predicted this (through strange method). told ya all im a magician. am i a prophet?

SORRY THIS IS MY FAULT. I MIXED UP CATEGORY NAMES ABOUT 8 HOURS AGO.

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-25 02:25:07 (edited 2017-05-25 02:25:15)

At 5/25/17 01:57 AM, johnfn wrote: SORRY THIS IS MY FAULT. I MIXED UP CATEGORY NAMES ABOUT 8 HOURS AGO.

annnnd fixed. Sorry about that! I made a mistake with categories and mistakenly pushed it before getting on a flight. D:

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-25 11:11:27

At 5/25/17 12:05 AM, midimachine wrote:
i think i gave u 4 or 5 for sound design but tbh nobody knows your process so if you make a bunch of sounds from scratch that happen to sound like nexus presets or whatever ppl are gonna vote with their ears. personally, i don't think presets are inherently a bad thing - if the inception bawwww works in your track you should use it and *fuk da h8rs*

Hey thanks man I love your too. I should not complain about it. You are right.

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-25 13:55:41

At 5/25/17 11:11 AM, SnowTeddy wrote:
At 5/25/17 12:05 AM, midimachine wrote:
Hey thanks man I love your too. I should not complain about it. You are right.

Please check the results again. You didn't get a low score in sound design, it was in uniqueness, which makes a lot more sense hopefully.

BBS Signature

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-25 20:37:54

Great stuff in the first comp, surprised my entry did as well as it did. Thanks again for putting this together, waiting on comp 2 n.n

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-26 00:22:43

Just got back from a long trip to San Francisco, finally saw all the feedback my submission got but i don't see any scoring or placements on the final standings page. Was something misplaced?

Response to NGCHIPS I 2017-05-26 02:30:36 (edited 2017-05-26 02:32:17)

At 5/26/17 12:22 AM, Katnip18 wrote: Just got back from a long trip to San Francisco, finally saw all the feedback my submission got but i don't see any scoring or placements on the final standings page. Was something misplaced?

Sorry, but unfortunately a large point of the compo is that you have to give ratings in order to receive your own scores on your piece. I did state this in the website and I also emailed you, but I could see you missing this if you were on vacation. Since you didn't rate any songs, I was unable to release your scores.

I know that this is kind of a bummer but I hope you understand it's in an attempt to be fair to everyone. I hope you enter a future compo and rate so you can get feedback! :)

BBS Signature