00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ozziel94 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

April COTM: TRADIGITAL!

32,701 Views | 354 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 03:44:42

Could I post only one WIP image of my work or does it have each step until finish piece?

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 05:26:48

Is this how you post? :') I've had to start again like 5 times already, but here's the beginnings of the digital figure that I've decided to stick with. I'll keep the actual concept a surprise for now ;) This is my first time entering the cotm! I usually draw a picture for the theme but never submit it! I have a good sense of the atmosphere I want from this already, so I hope can achieve it. Have fun!

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 06:02:53 (edited 2017-04-05 06:04:16)

I think its coming along nicely but any tips and criticism would be greatly appreciated :)

Btw for anyone who doesn't understand my painting: The left side is the traditional side and on the right his legs will be coming out of the portal into the modern, digital world

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 06:49:40 (edited 2017-04-05 06:50:26)

THINGS ARE GOING WELL. The hardest bit will be the light but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I would love to do the other character in a near-photo-realism too but I want a contrast to the digital, so I'll do it in a more painterly style I guess. At least that will help give it more structure and help to emphasize the light's effect on the skin, and also make it seem more traditional, like brushstrokes on canvas - blocky, but suggesting smoothness . I'm trying to stick to the characters first so that I have a better idea of the environment - I didn't want to limit to characters' positions with concrete objects just yet. I also went in unsure of the colour of light I was going to use in this piece, but now that I've decided on an aqua-like blue I can incorporate it into to background.

So yeah, everything's going to plan, I'm ahead of schedule, and I can't wait to start mucking around with the light's effects now! I chose a blue, so I have greens and purples to work with too - it's going to be so fun! :D

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 07:37:48

Here's my work in progress. I'm really like how its turning out so far...

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 08:19:45

trying to combine more than make it clash. they are different but complement each other and are similar in some aspects. I imagine it as a father/son (or daughter here) relationship. Hope I get to finsih this one this time

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 08:54:20 (edited 2017-04-05 09:02:07)

Here's my wip :D I forgot to upload it in sketch phase but there's no going back now since it's traditional!

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 09:02:14

At 4/3/17 12:25 PM, Beautiful-Like-Pizza wrote: Hey guys, hoping to enter this time as my first COTM and i'm so excited! I was wondering does anyone know what classes as 'beginner'? I dont want to enter the wrong category by accident (I can post a recent sketch I did if that helps). Hope everyone's thinking up cool ideas :)

It depends on your skill. If you haven't been drawing for very long (1 year?) or are young (like under 14) usually people enter beginner. You can always see what others have done in those categories and compare yours.

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 09:13:13

This is a sketch of my idea. I have gone further but I took a screenshot at this stage. SO HERE YOU GO!

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 09:23:46

I'm going with a progression theme, which means I get to be a little lazy and use a bunch of old art in the background :P
The idea is supposed to be that the traditional techniques have influenced the digital techniques, so she's using a brush on the cintiq rather than a pen and the hair she's painting will be flowing straight out of the brush. Hopefully it'll make sense once it's all finished.

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 10:01:24

Just in case you don't find it
find the linework proof here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BSgYTA2FOuC/?taken-by=otakuheadache&hl=en

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 10:03:30

I'm pretty sure you could post one WIP

At 4/5/17 03:44 AM, DaleWeber wrote: Could I post only one WIP image of my work or does it have each step until finish piece?

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 10:21:31

I got a lot of similar entries :'(

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 10:22:31

i love this one. it looks traditional and very detailed indead.

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 10:44:49 (edited 2017-04-05 10:45:08)

At 4/5/17 09:23 AM, Muddy-Water wrote: I'm going with a progression theme, which means I get to be a little lazy and use a bunch of old art in the background :P
The idea is supposed to be that the traditional techniques have influenced the digital techniques, so she's using a brush on the cintiq rather than a pen and the hair she's painting will be flowing straight out of the brush. Hopefully it'll make sense once it's all finished.

Cool idea, I look forward to the finished piece! :)

At 4/5/17 10:21 AM, Lourdjim wrote: I got a lot of similar entries :'(

Very nicely done indeed I really love the aesthetic you have here, and the story it's telling.

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 12:13:18

mine looks so simular, thats really weird...

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 12:44:20

At 4/5/17 12:13 PM, bite-art-87 wrote:
mine looks so simular, thats really weird...

yes realy wierd.

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 13:23:13

Second wip

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 15:03:33 (edited 2017-04-05 15:04:51)

Still have some additional effects to add which will drown out some details and make it look more digital, so I thought I'd post it as it is now. Going well, and have progressed a lot since I saved this WIP.

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 15:43:59 (edited 2017-04-05 15:45:04)

i know you're probably getting sick of me spamming updates here but I've made some major revisions

Last version's dragon looked like it had down syndrome, which I don't necessarily want, so I fixed it by giving it a more open mouth. It looks cooler, too. I shortened the neck and gave the dragon's pose a bit more motion.

I also changed the human's pose very slightly, but its not very important right now. Still trying to figure out the dragon's hand

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 15:58:34

I started on this months challenge as it felt really spot on considering where I am with my art, going between digital and traditional coloured pencil, and decided on this tug of war concept. But now Im wondering if its a little bit to much of a photo edit and less of a drawing. It has traditional graphite, traditional coloured pencil, and digital art elements but most of the image is a photograph. Should I re-start with another concept or continue with this one?

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 16:14:17

At 4/5/17 03:58 PM, SchuttArt wrote: I started on this months challenge as it felt really spot on considering where I am with my art, going between digital and traditional coloured pencil, and decided on this tug of war concept. But now Im wondering if its a little bit to much of a photo edit and less of a drawing. It has traditional graphite, traditional coloured pencil, and digital art elements but most of the image is a photograph. Should I re-start with another concept or continue with this one?

The focus is on the characters and unless you copy and pasted the characters they are fine even if edited. If the photos are yours there should be no problem either as It's only 2 pieces of art being put together, I can`t se the difference between this and me maybe me drawing on 2 digital files and editing them together. The biggest problem I could see is that you didn`t actually draw the background so for a drawing competition that is probably minus points in the judging faze, but otherwise it`s awesome man.

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 16:19:58

At 4/5/17 03:03 PM, abbie-fish wrote: Still have some additional effects to add which will drown out some details and make it look more digital, so I thought I'd post it as it is now. Going well, and have progressed a lot since I saved this WIP.

It`s awesome. I`m always jealous of peoples realistic styles and detail used to make inspirational, but all I can do is draw a Chibi batman XD . I don`t know the full picture that you have in your mind as you have posted minimal planning but the lighting and poses look awesome, definitely one of the highest quality that I have seen so far.

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 16:32:46

Need to add the digital legs coming out the other side of the portal

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 16:47:24

i need ideas if someone is willing to

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 17:12:40

At 4/5/17 04:14 PM, CartoonyCartoons wrote: The focus is on the characters and unless you copy and pasted the characters they are fine even if edited. If the photos are yours there should be no problem either as It's only 2 pieces of art being put together, I can`t se the difference between this and me maybe me drawing on 2 digital files and editing them together. The biggest problem I could see is that you didn`t actually draw the background so for a drawing competition that is probably minus points in the judging faze, but otherwise it`s awesome man.

Thanks, I was kind of thinking the same thing but sense I haven't participated in on of these in a while I wasn't sure. I hand drew all of the characters, except smoochum and it was done digitally, cut them out layered them over the device and took the photo now its all about making a seamless transition from graphite to digital.

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 17:52:02

Going to try and imitate digital and traditional inking...

On an egg.

I'm being completely serious, I have a whole set of nice egg dyes and a wax too, so going to try doing 'inking' on there. The images I want to put on there are below:

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 19:08:17

I actually love the TRADIGITAL concept a lot! So I'm SUPER excited for this month's art challenge!

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 20:41:56

W.I.P
This is just the beginning of an idea

Response to April COTM: TRADIGITAL! 2017-04-05 21:03:55

At 4/5/17 03:58 PM, SchuttArt wrote: I started on this months challenge as it felt really spot on considering where I am with my art, going between digital and traditional coloured pencil, and decided on this tug of war concept. But now Im wondering if its a little bit to much of a photo edit and less of a drawing. It has traditional graphite, traditional coloured pencil, and digital art elements but most of the image is a photograph. Should I re-start with another concept or continue with this one?

hello
if you are worried i would suggest maybe taking this photo into a drawing program and essentially trace it, or draw and color the photo while keeping your characters the same. I have never thought of entering a photo, and i do know if any one has, but you could give it a shot or redraw it. By no means do i think you need to start over.