Respond to this Topic
BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 20:35:37 Reply

I loved the video... I'm so proud to have been a part of all that and a part of where NG is heading NEXT!

For all the crap you're going through Tom, you've made something truly special here and you have a LOT of people who love and support you.

Keep on keeping on, we're right here willing to help it all come together.

Blobzone
Blobzone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 21:04:28 Reply

At 3/31/17 07:02 PM, Rarykos wrote:

On a sidenote, lots of people coming here to play idle games, zombidle being the prime suspect. The best way for newgrounds to make additional bucks would be to develop an idle first-hand game, with profits from MTC going to newgrounds, like Kongregate has with Adventure Capitalist.
I feel like the site needs a few more engines like that to keep people coming on a daily basis. Considering that most of our games are 15-minutes time wasters we make in a week, they have limited appeal.

I think the problem with that is, that you would have to find someone making an exclusive partnership with NG ONLY!!!
But from a developer standpoint it would be probably way more lucrative to go to sites like KG and make a deal with them instead (unfortunately)

But maybe it wouldnt change anything at all. To me it seems like once a person who is playing a lot of online games has found a website for himself where he plays the games this person doesnt change its preferences anymore. I mean who is active on Kongregate and Newgrounds and gamejolt (bad example :3 ) at the same time?

It would be interesting to know how a teen gets started with playing games on the net.

I just typed in games online in google and the results are
1. miniclip
2. kongregate
3. bigfishgames (wtf such a small site)
4. addictinggames etc

yeah, but i mean tom already mentioned that. still makes me a bit sad :(

I think Kongregate also gets a lot of people from the fact that they can play their games and chat at the same time.

Well, sorry for the unsorted thoughts. What was my point again? I forgot...

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 22:30:03 Reply

At 3/31/17 11:40 AM, TomFulp wrote: kaptainkristian released a video about Newgrounds this morning and everyone should watch it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFS7APAApBA

The Irony here is we all have to watch that video on youtube..

We need that NG video app :(

ninjamuffin99
ninjamuffin99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Game Developer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 22:37:22 Reply

For me there's no place on the internet like Newgrounds. I love this place and it's amazing.

#BringBackBeardFulp || RIP STATICSKULL

BBS Signature
Dragamex
Dragamex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-03-31 23:07:28 Reply

At 3/31/17 10:30 PM, MindChamber wrote:
At 3/31/17 11:40 AM, TomFulp wrote: kaptainkristian released a video about Newgrounds this morning and everyone should watch it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFS7APAApBA
The Irony here is we all have to watch that video on youtube..

We need that NG video app :(

damn dude... mindchamber dropping a truth bomb right here...

LucidShadowDreamer
LucidShadowDreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-04-01 02:43:51 Reply

Wow, that is an incredible video :O
I do hope people become supporters. I love this site, and want it to be around foreeever. It's an amazing website after all, for all the reasons stated in the video, and more. It also feels somewhat like a home!

Oh yeah, and nice gag today!

juako04
juako04
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Game Developer

I love this site, I still remember when I had to download the swf because the internet was soo slow back in 2001. Flash as a tool was and still is a big part of my life. I cant imagin my teen years without newgrounds. With so many tools to create stuff today, I cant understand why so many people are still wasting so much on "lets plays". It was fun to watch animations, but I think each animation was like a small tutorial on how to animate somthing super specific. I just finish watching school of rock and after this post I feel a little like Jack Black about being creative.

Will try to show my love at pico day with a game

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-04-01 03:24:03 Reply

This news-post, Tom! <3
But when in despair, do try to find that feeling of optimism. It's the dreamy clear eyes if Tom Fulp that Newgrounds need, for the right decisions to be made! ^__^

Wakka wakka

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Gamer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-04-01 04:40:38 Reply

It's really interesting to scroll through the comment section of the video. Doesn't seem like it's very common to find a comment section on YouTube that's full of positivity, but that one is!

One thing I'm noticing in the comment section is that a lot of people are using past tense when speaking favourably about the site. Like it was this amazing place that they used to visit when they were younger. It would be great to see more comments speaking positively about the site using present tense. People need to know that Newgrounds wasn't just great back in the day, but that it's still great now!

Regardless, it's always nice to see people speaking positively about Newgrounds. Hopefully that video will encourage a few old fans to come back and, more importantly, encourage some new blood to sign up.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature
JME10135
JME10135
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-04-01 05:16:49 Reply

lel that video sux.

i have completed ffs but ppf is out of my league.

matt-likes-swords
matt-likes-swords
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Game Developer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-04-01 05:50:35 Reply

Like a few other people have already mentioned in this thread, I too owe most of my career to Newgrounds! It was a place to post my crappy animations when I was learning Flash, and I got feedback and was motivated to make more. Tom even sent me my first graphics tablet, which still works to this day! (though I've passed it onto another artist)

Newgrounds is where I got noticed by staff from Armor Games and Kongregate, who started throwing money at me, and then things really kicked off. I feel a bit guilty that I've neglected Newgrounds a bit since then, but I've got no plans to stop posting my games and art here.

With YouTube and other social networks being so shitty lately, I really hope Newgrounds makes a comeback. I really hate ads in general and I hope more people come to their senses and start financially supporting creators instead.

BBS Signature
DamnedByFate
DamnedByFate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-04-01 06:20:16 Reply

At 3/31/17 11:40 AM, TomFulp wrote: We have indecent content but we're one of the last decent websites and we're 100% independent.

I can't help noticing a trend - the less decent the content, the more decent its host.

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!
On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.
Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature
BinaryDood
BinaryDood
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-04-01 07:40:01 Reply

Right now I don't have any income coming to me but once I'm stable this is a no-brainer. Of course I want Newgrounds to keep on being alive for years to come.

However, my passion isn't animation per say. I think there's some areas Newgrounds could improve on. With all the freedom it offers, it feels perfect for something like webcomics and the exploration of the capacity of these. But the Art Portal doesn't cut it unless you only want to make Illustrative type content. I think with such innovations Newgrounds could end up calling a whole lot more variety of artists who wan't only the freedom to expose their work with no special consequences.

I think Newgrounds, at least in the department of being able to do whatever you want, would be a better WebToons than WebToons.

antonmarcelo
antonmarcelo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-04-01 08:49:26 Reply

Fantastic!!!!

GreenLeafGaming
GreenLeafGaming
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-04-01 09:12:07 Reply

That video is what makes me proud to be a Newgrounds user. Despite not being a content creator, I still do my part to try and review appealing content and give it the 5 stars or BLAM THIS PIECE OF CRAP (gosh I love that wording). But still, I've seen so much on Newgrounds happen and how it's affected other sites like Youtube and FB and probably others that I haven't encountered. I would've become a supporter years ago had I had the steady funds, but I definitely will soon. I want Newgrounds to be around for future generations of kids who are looking for the next big memes, or inspiration to start doing their own animation, or even those kids who kinda have a shitty computer that can't run much else above Flash gaming.

Here's to this site lasting for a really long time!

Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Musician
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-04-01 15:15:29 Reply

Just realized I started coming here 10 years ago, holy shit. Newgrounds was a huge part of my childhood, and I can only hope it can continue to be a place where beginners and veterans alike can share content, criticism, and advice. The internet without Newgrounds would be a sad place.

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature
pouar
pouar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Programmer

Honestly it was Newgrounds that first got me into coding after I found out that the games I played on here were made independently without the aid of some big company.

while :;do if windows sucks;then mv windows /dev/null;pacman -Sy linux;fi;done

BBS Signature
PGAM
PGAM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-04-01 16:17:13 Reply

Omg, he is so sweet.

pouar
pouar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Programmer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-04-01 16:41:04 Reply

I guess "in decline" is a relative term as Newgrounds is still in better shape than a lot other websites, like YouTube.

while :;do if windows sucks;then mv windows /dev/null;pacman -Sy linux;fi;done

BBS Signature
Tortoise
Tortoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Art Lover

This really was an awesome video Tom, and if I'm brutally honest, I've been a bit lacking in activity on this site the past three or four years due to real life commitments. Seeing this video pop up in my recommended feed on Youtube the other day is honestly what made me stop and think "Hey, I should check out Newgrounds again and see how things are going," and here I am.

I've had a whole lot of fun here in the past, and it's amazing to see that you've managed to upkeep it for all of these years, and the thing I respect more than anything else is how you've always kept it private. There are very few sites left of Newgrounds' size that can say that, and I find that incredibly sad.

I know it ain't a lot, but it's what made me choose to finally upgrade my membership to at least try and give a little something back for all of the awesome shit that Newgrounds has brought to the web, and will hopefully continue to bring to the web in years to come.

I'll definitely be looking into upgrading for a full year sooner or later, just a bit strapped for cash right now thanks to Paypal goofing up on a payment that they shouldn't have taken out of my account.

Thanks for keeping things going for all of these years <3

BBS Signature
wolliel
wolliel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate

Ok, I've whitelisted NG, hope that helps... I'm not here often enough to subscribe tho.

That video was amazing. I'm fairly new to the site and animation so I had no idea of all this history.
sigh, I'm, always late to the party.

AcidX
AcidX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-04-02 17:22:35 Reply

I lubb u tom fulp

Don't hate people or individuals. Love everybody. Just hate their dumb ideas, stupid self-absorption and precious beliefs.

BBS Signature
Alias
Alias
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Reader
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-04-03 02:06:53 Reply

I loved watching the video, and I've enjoyed seeing new users join the website over the past few days. It's nice to see newgrounds getting recognition.

I wish the social media accounts for this website were more active on websites like tumblr and facebook. I follow the facebook Newgrounds page, and see updated of videos getting posted ( they always get a few likes and comments).

I really do wish the tumblr was more active though. It would be cool to see posts about threads, content, users, etc. It would just be cool to see this website getting shared on other websites in general and to see us grow us a community!

hotdogtopus
hotdogtopus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Writer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-04-03 02:23:05 Reply

I know I'm a little bit late to the topic, but ...

What I've always wanted from Newgrounds is a wrapper similar to what Mochimedia used to do. Users would upload an swf, html5, or MP4 and can choose whether to add a wrapper that would pay them when we had sponsors and if not, the ad would simply redirect back to the NG homepage. MP4 probably can't work with a wrapper, but I'm behind on what we can do now.

I know a lot of the companies with wrappers went out of business, but I would still be making money even if Mochimedia had paid me half of what they did. Mochimedia going out of business killed me.

The other option is to provide more incentives to become a subscriber. Currently, I don't get or take advantage of any subscriber benefits (I would be OK to see the page ads anyway).

leonardozimbres
leonardozimbres
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-04-03 08:11:01 Reply

In a world of global media dominance (I'm remembering the 1990s, but still serves today) Newgrounds played a very very very special role for me. It was a place to watch and post things you dont see on tv, things that will never be on mass media. It was a really a zine, on online format. Damm, I love zines.

I was watching the last Batman lego movie with the kids some days ago, and something stuck on me: we need more zines. We need more voices, more diversity on the stage. There's a 3rd or 4rth generation of spiderman movies coming in. "Marvel" and "DC" are seen as 100% of the comics market. While there's a great side on having our loved heroes turning pop, there's a lot of great work being made, but on the shadows. God knows how many of great great comics are forgotten right now while a "comics fan" says that love comics, but only knows Marvel/DC.

We need to spread diversity. Somehow. And Newgrounds plays this role.
Unfortunately, I'm not with ideas. I'm still struggling to know how to consume the shitload of media/facebook/stuff on everyday.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-04-03 09:46:37 Reply

At 4/3/17 08:11 AM, leonardozimbres wrote: We need to spread diversity. Somehow. And Newgrounds plays this role.
Unfortunately, I'm not with ideas. I'm still struggling to know how to consume the shitload of media/facebook/stuff on everyday.

On the topic of comics specifically, a number of people have brought up how much they would like NG to have expanded support for web comics. We have a lot of great ideas for improvements we could make in that space, it will just come down to the time and manpower to make it happen - we're still in the middle of getting all the individual pages updated. We'll keep plugging ahead though.

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-04-03 09:53:56 Reply

At 4/3/17 02:23 AM, hotdogtopus wrote: I know a lot of the companies with wrappers went out of business, but I would still be making money even if Mochimedia had paid me half of what they did. Mochimedia going out of business killed me.

The other option is to provide more incentives to become a subscriber. Currently, I don't get or take advantage of any subscriber benefits (I would be OK to see the page ads anyway).

People who chose NG Flash Ads over Mochi are still making money - although the CPMs are really low nowadays. It's difficult to get good advertisers for content that could appear "anywhere" and not just on a primary website they trust. We don't even need a wrapper to run ads in HTML5 games, we just need an API update that includes the option for loading ads into your HTML5 game. That one is on the todo list, although it's harder to prioritize when ads feel like such a dying business. We'd rather share surplus supporter revenue with people vs run more ads on the site.

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer
Response to Great Newgrounds Video - WATCH IT! 2017-04-09 09:39:47 Reply

Finally got around to watching this, and it was pretty inspiring! And nostalgic. Good to see both old and unfamiliar users coming back for this, and more known names popping up in this topic to have their say on the future of the site. It's about time for a renaissance... in revenue, at least! Couldn't imagine the losses were that high. :| Just last year´s loss is more than I've made... ever. Insane.

Maybe delving into the hosting business could be a way to reduce infrastructure costs? Run your own facility, and sell out extra capacity to make up for own hosting costs. Or find an infrastructure sponsor. Well, just spontaneous ideas, you've probably pondered all options.

Shall focus on the positive points of the post! Well-written, reflective and full of good news.