• 47 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
kehny
kehny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator

So I've finally gathered some stuff to start an art thread. I'll be sharing with you guys some of my lastest progress. I'm mainly an animator, but because I'll be doing a lot of screen shots and model sheets, I'll put this on art.

From time to time I'll be announcing art streams, you can request stuff there. You can also find me in the art discort, but whatever with that.

Comments, critiques, and just anything is welcome here, go nuts. Let's go for a ride.

I'll start with some thread introduction pic here:

Kehny's drawings thread!

kehny
kehny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-03-09 15:26:01 Reply

And here's the first model sheet

Kehny's drawings thread!

kehny
kehny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator

A keyframe of genji.
Took a shit ton of work to animate this guy.

Kehny's drawings thread!

WakeUpSuper
WakeUpSuper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-03-11 12:19:52 Reply

At 3/9/17 03:26 PM, kehny wrote: And here's the first model sheet

I really love the look of this character! Looks like a cocky fist fighter kinda guy, ala terry bougard. I also like the way his hair is two toned. Keep it up fam.

kehny
kehny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-03-11 18:17:28 Reply

At 3/11/17 12:19 PM, WakeUpSuper wrote: I really love the look of this character! Looks like a cocky fist fighter kinda guy, ala terry bougard. I also like the way his hair is two toned. Keep it up fam.

Thanks man! Yeah, he's designed to be a cocky fighter, the focus was on his untidyness, like some sort of easygoing doesn't give a shait kind of guy.

Here's an experiment I did. I was practicing cloth folds, but also trying to pull of the tough sexy look. The sexy part was done as subtle as I could, so it might look kinda tomboyish. Hope I didn't fuck this one up.

Kehny's drawings thread!

Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-03-12 03:49:45 Reply

At 3/11/17 06:17 PM, kehny wrote:
At 3/11/17 12:19 PM, WakeUpSuper wrote: I really love the look of this character! Looks like a cocky fist fighter kinda guy, ala terry bougard. I also like the way his hair is two toned. Keep it up fam.
Thanks man! Yeah, he's designed to be a cocky fighter, the focus was on his untidyness, like some sort of easygoing doesn't give a shait kind of guy.

Here's an experiment I did. I was practicing cloth folds, but also trying to pull of the tough sexy look. The sexy part was done as subtle as I could, so it might look kinda tomboyish. Hope I didn't fuck this one up.

Looks neat, I'd recommend studying cloth from life and drawing that to understand how it works. Billowy material over a familiar object, taut material over a rounded or angular object, etc. Otherwise you get the guesswork here which is kinda overkill too.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
kehny
kehny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator

At 3/12/17 03:49 AM, Knocturne wrote: Looks neat, I'd recommend studying cloth from life and drawing that to understand how it works. Billowy material over a familiar object, taut material over a rounded or angular object, etc. Otherwise you get the guesswork here which is kinda overkill too.

Wow thanks man, I'm gonna try that right now. Yeah, it is guesswork and overkill, and it shows, no way in hell I'm animating that many folds.

Speaking of guesswork, I tried a sexier pose with a slim anatomy. Cloth folds are still overdone here. Also I fucked up the legs and the face, but I think it's worth showing this as an experiment.

Kehny's drawings thread!

kehny
kehny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-03-14 00:07:02 Reply

two familiar faces.

Kehny's drawings thread!

kehny
kehny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-03-16 21:14:44 Reply

I'm streaming model sheets and storyboards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMKIhdY9XT0

PilotSpikey
PilotSpikey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Art Lover
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-03-19 13:24:04 Reply

I respect your commitment in animating. Looking at that screenshot of Genji alone shows how crushingly hard animation can be, especially working with characters with less cartoon-y proportions.

Keep going and update when you're ready. Post some GIFs of your progress if you can.

kehny
kehny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-03-26 04:24:37 Reply

just a tad more fucking around.

Kehny's drawings thread!

marjudo
marjudo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-04-06 09:20:21 Reply

I like draw with pencil style. We see more forms. :D Good job dude. ;)

kehny
kehny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-04-16 14:44:25 Reply

Here's another thing.

Kehny's drawings thread!

StaticSkull
StaticSkull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
kehny
kehny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-04-18 01:17:49 Reply

At 4/17/17 11:00 PM, StaticSkull wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1421981
Wanna collab?

sorry, not into it.

StaticSkull
StaticSkull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-04-18 01:19:05 Reply

At 4/18/17 01:17 AM, kehny wrote:
At 4/17/17 11:00 PM, StaticSkull wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1421981
Wanna collab?
sorry, not into it.

Fair enough. Thanks anyway

Spooberino
Spooberino
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Artist
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-04-18 11:01:57 Reply

You got some pretty neat stuff here. I like the facial expressions, but some of your poses are kinda stiff. I'd recommend doing some line of action or gesture drawings to loosen everything up, or maybe try thinking about the limbs more as curved lines than two straight ones.

kehny
kehny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-04-18 15:18:17 Reply

At 4/18/17 11:01 AM, Tylarius wrote: You got some pretty neat stuff here. I like the facial expressions, but some of your poses are kinda stiff. I'd recommend doing some line of action or gesture drawings to loosen everything up, or maybe try thinking about the limbs more as curved lines than two straight ones.

Thanks man! I really can't work around lines of action. Most of the time I place them in the wrong spot, and sometimes I can't place the geometry of the character around them very well. I'd love to make my poses more dinamic, though, I'll keep trying. You know of any guides on how to nail the lines of action?

About the curved limbs... I don't really see how that would work, because bones are a thing, I guess it's because I did not study enough, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks again, it's super useful info.

Spooberino
Spooberino
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Artist
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-04-18 17:53:17 Reply

At 4/18/17 03:18 PM, kehny wrote:
Thanks man! I really can't work around lines of action. Most of the time I place them in the wrong spot, and sometimes I can't place the geometry of the character around them very well. I'd love to make my poses more dinamic, though, I'll keep trying. You know of any guides on how to nail the lines of action?

About the curved limbs... I don't really see how that would work, because bones are a thing, I guess it's because I did not study enough, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks again, it's super useful info.

This site has some really good resources for gesture drawing, https://line-of-action.com/practice-tools/
And the curved limb thing is just for making it easier to see the movement in the pose when you're sketching it out, the anatomy and everything would go over that. Hope this helps!

kehny
kehny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-04-21 23:31:53 Reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ECvBfFXmO8

Streaming again... late.

Welp, doing some muscle studies and stuff.

kehny
kehny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-04-22 14:34:20 Reply

Some more experimenting with characer design.

Kehny's drawings thread!

kehny
kehny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator

so.... yea

Kehny's drawings thread!

Xzuber8
Xzuber8
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-05-17 14:50:35 Reply

computer animated drawing is something I am not good at.. yet I prefer, oil on canvas, charcoal, or pastel and colored pencils,

"abstrak realism" is my style... it includes realist styles of the past yet the "main point" is always the story line it attempts to depict a style of preservation... mainly the union.. one of the main ideas is the "independent council for a united union" yet the actual art of it is still being developed..

I like your style I'd like hear about the fundamentals of it if you ever want to go into detail...

in "abstrak realism" the internal struggle is "the midieval sepreatest vs. fundamentelist radicals" we aquire knowledge like cyborgs and adapt to new ideas regularly.

any question?? comments or concerns??

look to my profile for visuals..

James 4:6 6But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: "God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble."

kehny
kehny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-05-17 22:40:45 Reply

At 5/17/17 02:50 PM, Xzuber8 wrote: I like your style I'd like hear about the fundamentals of it if you ever want to go into detail...

Sssssure. It's just average cel shaded flash drawings using a tablet. then the background is done on photoshop, 10% flow on the brush. Some burn and dodge tool for final details. Really a quick work, that's also how I animate.

Xzuber8
Xzuber8
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-05-18 10:34:50 Reply

At 5/17/17 10:40 PM, kehny wrote:
At 5/17/17 02:50 PM, Xzuber8 wrote: I like your style I'd like hear about the fundamentals of it if you ever want to go into detail...
Sssssure. It's just average cel shaded flash drawings using a tablet. then the background is done on photoshop, 10% flow on the brush. Some burn and dodge tool for final details. Really a quick work, that's also how I animate.

Is there a story line behind your work or any real action that takes place, for me it's almost sort of a "religion of enlightenment" as I incorperate things that go on in real life such as the "martial arts traning of 'tychi' into my work,

I guess what I am getting at is.. do you have any sort of philosophy or say a method to your madness??

James 4:6 6But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: "God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble."

kehny
kehny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-05-18 13:06:19 Reply

At 5/18/17 10:34 AM, Xzuber8 wrote: I guess what I am getting at is.. do you have any sort of philosophy or say a method to your madness??

I don't have a complex artistic mind. I don't use inspiration or anything of the sort. I just draw characters that have a certain backstory for future projects. Call it concept art. If there's a common theme that often drives my work, that might be conflict. Conflict is cool, conflict is awesome.

Xzuber8
Xzuber8
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-05-18 15:49:22 Reply

I'm into conflict resolution and self defence

kehny
kehny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-05-21 15:53:01 Reply

making Zbrush my bitch

Kehny's drawings thread!

donelro
donelro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-06-15 07:18:58 Reply

At 5/17/17 07:14 AM, kehny wrote: so.... yea

I like this one so much, it feels like they're about to enter into a war with cold blood. good work man :D

kehny
kehny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Kehny's drawings thread! 2017-06-23 18:54:30 Reply

Thanks mate.

Lots of things to improve here, but I just wanted to make a really extreme punch with a really extreme face.

Kehny's drawings thread!