00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

sereneFalconer just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Favorites & Follows Overhauled

11,355 Views | 72 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-14 16:03:44

Dear Tom!

On a different note, the thumbnail crop tool seems to be malfunctioning. When trying to drag the selecting, it automatically submits. (I'm using Chrome)

Anyone else having the same problem?

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-14 16:25:11

At 2/14/17 04:03 PM, Sijbren wrote: Dear Tom!

On a different note, the thumbnail crop tool seems to be malfunctioning. When trying to drag the selecting, it automatically submits. (I'm using Chrome)

Just confirmed, giving Josh and Jim the heads up.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-14 16:41:32

At 2/14/17 04:03 PM, Sijbren wrote: Dear Tom!

Yep, same thing on Firefox.
Good work so far, I'm looking forward to finally seeing who's favorited my work. I can use that to gauge which direction to take my art.

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-14 18:59:17

My opinion is the same than the users NekoMika and HexMagnificus...

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-14 21:53:47

Useful. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot more notifications now. I sometimes forget how old NG's systems are.

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-14 22:05:13

1) We're gonna be showing you who has favorited your work, something that went away years ago and was difficult to bring back under the previous system.

@Step

This. Finally :D
The long wait is soon over :O
All hail the NG Gods fo hearing our prayers.

Seriously though, thank's for keeping up the good work with the site!

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-14 22:48:56

I'm glad that wanting to unfollow someone has become much more convenient! Good riddance to the old setup!

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-15 04:17:56

@TomFulp speaking of bringing back old features like favorite notifications, since we no longer have userpage ads, is it possible to bring back the clickable banners we used to have back in the day at the top of our userpages? I'm pretty sure at one point in time I had a banner from Black Rock Shooter or something. I remember someone asking if x-chick in said banner was me (of course not; I just ripped it from some random anime board I liked). At least I'm pretty sure these were on userpages cerca 2006. I may be tripping. But that would be the bees knees.

Also, would it ever be possible to modify the html of your userpage in the future -- maybe upload your own html file for the purposes, with certain limitations such as not trying to jimmy up Google adsense or whatever ofc, since that's just a shitty thing to try and do considering we're blacklisted.

It's 3 AM. I'm probably tripping balls and not making a lot of sense here.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-15 08:37:00

At 2/15/17 04:17 AM, EDM364 wrote: @TomFulp speaking of bringing back old features like favorite notifications, since we no longer have userpage ads, is it possible to bring back the clickable banners we used to have back in the day at the top of our userpages? I'm pretty sure at one point in time I had a banner from Black Rock Shooter or something. I remember someone asking if x-chick in said banner was me (of course not; I just ripped it from some random anime board I liked). At least I'm pretty sure these were on userpages cerca 2006. I may be tripping. But that would be the bees knees.

We actually are bringing back user page headers in the new user pages. Also considering something like custom skins down the left and right for supporters.

Also, would it ever be possible to modify the html of your userpage in the future -- maybe upload your own html file for the purposes, with certain limitations such as not trying to jimmy up Google adsense or whatever ofc, since that's just a shitty thing to try and do considering we're blacklisted.
It's 3 AM. I'm probably tripping balls and not making a lot of sense here.

Not sure if we'll ever get into html modification, although some color-scheme options would probably be appreciated a lot. We're planning to reduce the NG branding on user pages, so they still have the very top bar where you log in, but in the current mockup they don't have the bar with the tank log and they don't have the site nav since it competes with the artist nav. That one might make it a little weird to move around the site though but we'll see.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-15 08:46:46

At 2/14/17 09:53 PM, Lambtaco wrote: Useful. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot more notifications now. I sometimes forget how old NG's systems are.

The good news is you can disable individual notification types if you don't want them in your feed. Popular artists might want to disable seeing every like they get but I have a feeling most people will enjoy it.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-15 11:42:39

At 2/14/17 08:12 AM, orion1220 wrote: hey right now i have 21 fans but it says 20 lol

This bug has been fixed.

Other bugs that have been fixed:

1) Bug that impacted the thumbnail cropping, flagging and user block management tools, where clicking an item made the box close instead of actually performing an action.

2) Video player pause button was jumping straight to the end bumper menu - this was meant for testing the favoriting option and wasn't intended to go live.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-15 12:41:44

Oki! This is a great idea!

2015 - 2020 Iori Licea. Making Fun For Everyone! ^w^

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-15 18:36:47

Nice

The post above makes no sense and shouldn't be taken seriously given that the person who said it is completely braindead. I was talking about me in case you didn't notice.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-15 20:03:33

At 2/15/17 08:37 AM, TomFulp wrote: We actually are bringing back user page headers in the new user pages. Also considering something like custom skins down the left and right for supporters.

Best news I've heard in a while. Sad to hear I probably will be missing out on custom skins for a while but sounds pretty cool.

Not sure if we'll ever get into html modification, although some color-scheme options would probably be appreciated a lot. We're planning to reduce the NG branding on user pages, so they still have the very top bar where you log in, but in the current mockup they don't have the bar with the tank log and they don't have the site nav since it competes with the artist nav. That one might make it a little weird to move around the site though but we'll see.

This is an interesting proposition. If the html embeds of newsposts were a little more versatile I'd be completely comfortable with NG as my online homespace. As is some embeds, like Xbox DVR and Tweet embeds don't function correctly or at all.

Speaking of bugs, yesterday I checked out my favorites. Hovering over the icon causes a seizure like flickering. Doesn't bother me because I hardly ever look at favorites but might bother others.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Can't wait to see whether my aunt was lying to me about favoriting my animations and art or not!

Favorites & Follows Overhauled

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-16 09:48:25

Thats cool I always love seeing additional statistics for my games

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-16 11:22:22

At 2/15/17 08:03 PM, EDM364 wrote: This is an interesting proposition. If the html embeds of newsposts were a little more versatile I'd be completely comfortable with NG as my online homespace. As is some embeds, like Xbox DVR and Tweet embeds don't function correctly or at all.

I added xboxdvr.com to our whiteslist after you mentioned it before - did you try it since and it still isn't working right? Does it embed it but something else is wrong, like the dimensions not fitting the layout?

I also just added twitter.com to the whitelist, I should check and see if that does the trick.

Speaking of bugs, yesterday I checked out my favorites. Hovering over the icon causes a seizure like flickering. Doesn't bother me because I hardly ever look at favorites but might bother others.

Is the flickering you see the box that appears behind each person when you roll over, or is the entire screen flickering for you?

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-16 11:50:14

At 2/13/17 12:02 PM, TomFulp wrote: We've removed the ability to sort your favorites.

I've spent literally weeks of my life making sure I had my fav movies, games, art and audio sorted out, though.
Welp, guess I'm never fav'ing anything ever again. Or I'll just try and use the playlist thing you mentioned BUT I DON'T LIKE CHANGE.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

At 2/16/17 11:22 AM, TomFulp wrote: I added xboxdvr.com to our whiteslist after you mentioned it before - did you try it since and it still isn't working right? Does it embed it but something else is wrong, like the dimensions not fitting the layout?

I also just added twitter.com to the whitelist, I should check and see if that does the trick.

I've tried jimmying the embed code all sorts of ways and it seems NG just isn't prepared for it but I will try out the Twitter. Before it'd work but transform the embed into a botched block quote that doesn't link to the Tweet. Thank you for getting to this btw. I'd sent an email a week or so ago.

For reference, the code that NG newspost editor hates is:
<iframe frameborder="0" scale="tofit" height="800px" style="overflow-x:hidden;max-width:100%" src="http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ArbitraryWall/videos/embed"></iframe>

Is the flickering you see the box that appears behind each person when you roll over, or is the entire screen flickering for you?

I'm on the game/movie favorites and the thumbnails are flickering.

EDIT: Now doesn't seem to be occurring. Looks fixed!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-16 14:21:49

At 2/16/17 12:54 PM, EDM364 wrote: For reference, the code that NG newspost editor hates is:
<iframe frameborder="0" scale="tofit" height="800px" style="overflow-x:hidden;max-width:100%" src="http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ArbitraryWall/videos/embed"></iframe>

Ah, looks like the blog system kicks back an error saying there's a missing width tag, since it doesn't specifically use that tag. Logging a report about it.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-16 14:39:50

Still having the same problem with the thumbnail crop tool

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-16 15:39:01

At 2/16/17 02:39 PM, Sijbren wrote: Still having the same problem with the thumbnail crop tool

Try clearing your browser cache, I should have noted that.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-16 16:43:26

At 2/16/17 03:39 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/16/17 02:39 PM, Sijbren wrote: Still having the same problem with the thumbnail crop tool
Try clearing your browser cache, I should have noted that.

It worked awesum!

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-17 09:56:47

At 2/16/17 10:25 PM, Wafflesmash wrote: This really is all great, but when is the best of January coming? @TomFulp

Holy crap how did I let that slip by for so long?! Jeeeeeeez....

BBS Signature

At 2/15/17 08:37 AM, TomFulp wrote: Not sure if we'll ever get into html modification, although some color-scheme options would probably be appreciated a lot. We're planning to reduce the NG branding on user pages, so they still have the very top bar where you log in, but in the current mockup they don't have the bar with the tank log and they don't have the site nav since it competes with the artist nav. That one might make it a little weird to move around the site though but we'll see.

How about just custom CSS stylesheets, maybe with only certain elements you'd be allowed to customize? Would be easier to add without 'disrupting' the layout', though you could do a lot anyway. :) Entirely different color schemes, icons, backgrounds, etc... maybe you wouldn't want users changing that much, though.

Also cool to hear about the returning headers!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-18 19:58:00

At 2/13/17 12:02 PM, TomFulp wrote: @PsychoGoldfish just released a complete redo of our favorites / follow system, please PM me if you notice any bugs.

Bro I am in some deep trouble you know, I wish you could help me out bro I'm homeless, can you help me develop one of my sites please man I know that's all it would take

Weather Modification INC.

It's Just Going To Get

WORSE

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-19 14:00:18

Ever since this update I've been having a lot more troubles with favouriting submissions, most of the time i get errors. Any one got any solutions or something that I could try?

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-19 16:18:07

At 2/19/17 02:00 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote: Ever since this update I've been having a lot more troubles with favouriting submissions, most of the time i get errors. Any one got any solutions or something that I could try?

I had the same thing, so I pm tomfulp and he said that they were fixing it.

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-19 16:46:25

At 2/19/17 04:18 PM, LunacyOfficial wrote: I had the same thing, so I pm tomfulp and he said that they were fixing it.

Unsure if this is related but I'm also having some issues with other buttons around the site, like pulling up the link shortcut properly -- so I don't have to type all the html. I can get the "Spam NG with links" box, but trying to click it and type stuff in closes it again. I can however get around this with keyboard shortcuts. It may be something with Opera.

Am not however having any issues with favoriting.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites & Follows Overhauled 2017-02-20 08:29:11

At 2/19/17 02:00 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote: Ever since this update I've been having a lot more troubles with favouriting submissions, most of the time i get errors. Any one got any solutions or something that I could try?

Try clearing your browser cache and let me know if you still get errors.

BBS Signature