00:00
00:00

Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE

19,324 Views | 311 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-11 16:08:59

At 1/9/17 04:07 PM, EmeraldPhoenix wrote: thumbnails sketches and stuff. I like the third thumbnail best.

made the hair body axe and wings. damn perspective is hard...

..............................have to try too

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-11 17:22:57

I apologize for the bad quality but here is by painting half finished. I've never done this competition before and I hope to do well. Wishing everyone the best of luck ❤

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-11 18:30:51

Finally finished my character!
i also decided to change the background and the story slightly, what do you think, and any ideas on how i could fill the village?

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-11 20:30:07

I don't know how to draw armour yet. This is my I idea for this challenge and a bit of a different point of view.
DRAFT.

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-12 03:29:12

Started drawing the axe in the position it's gonna be held.

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-12 08:03:04

At 1/11/17 06:30 PM, Eurns wrote: Finally finished my character!
i also decided to change the background and the story slightly, what do you think, and any ideas on how i could fill the village?

Dead
bodies

character looks great, dynamic pose and I like how the sharp ends of the axe glow. I liked your previous background with the skeleton warriors and the ice castle better then the farm.

Since he seems to be dodging something, maybe you want to add something to give him a reason to dodge? like a arrow/ trown dagger/ ice dragon/ step-mother/ magic.

Also don't forget the wires on the axe. not sure if you still want to add them, but just in case.

Looks promising.

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-12 13:50:22

Here's my WIP. Now to draw it digitally, which Iv'e never done. Wish me luck

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-12 15:17:02

Early WIP

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-12 15:18:34

thank you

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-12 15:19:36

Alright here's my WIP:

Not that I've laid everything - details, details, details and they care gunna be a you know what! *sigh* that deadline is looming too close...

All the best everyone! Other WIP's are looking great!! Love the different perspectives ^^

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-12 16:17:23

Tearing time away making this.

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-12 17:03:39

Second WIP update I got a new idea so I'm just gonna try this out for now, what I want to be in the background is a a desolate wasteland.

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-12 17:03:48

At 1/12/17 09:45 AM, EmeraldPhoenix wrote:
character looks great, dynamic pose and I like how the sharp ends of the axe glow. I liked your previous background with the skeleton warriors and the ice castle better then the farm.

Since he seems to be dodging something, maybe you want to add something to give him a reason to dodge? like a arrow/ trown dagger/ ice dragon/ step-mother/ magic.

Also don't forget the wires on the axe. not sure if you still want to add them, but just in case.

Looks promising.

Thanks, soo what do you think about this one? I changed the perspective, cause i felt like this way i could work with my fore/ mid/ background more. This angle also will work better if i add the snowfall coming from the top left later on. Whats you opinion on this because it's been really helpfull so far! :)

I'm going for a completely different design, the old one simply wouldn't work out.

This started off as just a fun sketch, nothing to do with the cotm, but i decided "lol why not" and did this anyways. Sorry for the very light linework, also.

if I were to get feedback at any phase, the transition from traditional to digital (aka right now) would be the time to do it. Things are bound to change, so any ideas you might have to help me would be greatly appreciated

(oh and im entering as a beginner)

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-12 22:49:52

Hey there! A quick screen of my WIP... any tips are welcome :)

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-12 23:21:07

At 1/12/17 10:49 PM, JuanPabloSenia wrote: Hey there! A quick screen of my WIP... any tips are welcome :)

I think it would be cool to see the smaller part of the axe being held by the smaller person.

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-12 23:35:27

At 1/4/17 06:34 PM, Eurns wrote: this is what i have for now, any thoughts about the composition or character design? comments would be helfull :)

ps. My idea was that the main character was in a post apocalyptic robot world and that he needs to gather spare parts for his axe in order to keep it ready for battle, sounded pretty cool so just decided to go with it :)

I'd advise expanding your character to fill the space just a bit more. You have really lovely, very fine details, that are getting lost.

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-12 23:39:21

At 1/12/17 10:49 PM, JuanPabloSenia wrote: Hey there! A quick screen of my WIP... any tips are welcome :)

Check your proportions and keep in mind how the character would be holding the axe and what his pose would be. Pay particular attention to his hands. Great start!

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-12 23:46:29

At 1/12/17 05:03 PM, Eurns wrote:
At 1/12/17 09:45 AM, EmeraldPhoenix wrote:

Looks promising.
Thanks, soo what do you think about this one? I changed the perspective, cause i felt like this way i could work with my fore/ mid/ background more. This angle also will work better if i add the snowfall coming from the top left later on. Whats you opinion on this because it's been really helpfull so far! :)

FAR more dynamic! You poses, the way the snow has been pushed aside; it's looking really rather good! The front most skeleton is a bit distracting-the axe looks as if it's cleaving it, but the skeleton has no break, no reaction, no action.

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-13 01:06:20

The first pass at shading...another 50 to go.

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-13 01:09:12

At 1/11/17 12:53 PM, TXBlazez wrote:
At 1/10/17 09:20 PM, Joseyeyeyey wrote: My WIP for now.... I'ts my first time joining the COTM but gonna push my luck and join the Open Category lels. Best of luck to all of us!

Oh and may I ask a Question? Is the Axe's name "OTHOG"? Or am I just stupid? lel
Defo not the greatest when it comes to back muscles but here's some things you can do to improve both the perspective and anatomy of your piece.

First i moved the arm down a bit as your proportions were stretching to fit your anatomy, i also detailed some of the different back muscle groups for you so when you go to lay down the clothing make sure to follow the muscle guides as well, also fixed some of the perspective issues with the background and took the liberty of changing the pod design.

Wow thanks man! Perspective isn't my strong suit actually. This helps a lot. As for the pod design, 1. I'm quite happy with mine thanks :) 2. I can't freaking do that with my current skills hahah. But thanks a lot!

Oh. And is the Axe's name OTHOG?

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-13 02:44:27

At 1/13/17 01:09 AM, Joseyeyeyey wrote:
At 1/11/17 12:53 PM, TXBlazez wrote:
At 1/10/17 09:20 PM, Joseyeyeyey wrote: My WIP for now.... I'ts my first time joining the COTM but gonna push my luck and join the Open Category lels. Best of luck to all of us!

Oh and may I ask a Question? Is the Axe's name "OTHOG"? Or am I just stupid? lel
Defo not the greatest when it comes to back muscles but here's some things you can do to improve both the perspective and anatomy of your piece.

First i moved the arm down a bit as your proportions were stretching to fit your anatomy, i also detailed some of the different back muscle groups for you so when you go to lay down the clothing make sure to follow the muscle guides as well, also fixed some of the perspective issues with the background and took the liberty of changing the pod design.
Wow thanks man! Perspective isn't my strong suit actually. This helps a lot. As for the pod design, 1. I'm quite happy with mine thanks :) 2. I can't freaking do that with my current skills hahah. But thanks a lot!

Oh. And is the Axe's name OTHOG?

I've not seen anything about that being the Axe's name. On Jazza's youtube channel and the subsequent other channel where they build the prop, it's just been coined the 'JazzAxe' or Jazza's Axe. As for its official name, I don't think it has one, because it hasn't got its own universe and story to be in yet, which might be where the name comes from? If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me, anyone! But that's how I've been viewing it anyways.

Allons-y!

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-13 03:05:04

At 1/13/17 02:44 AM, ScarletteFyre wrote: I've not seen anything about that being the Axe's name. On Jazza's youtube channel and the subsequent other channel where they build the prop, it's just been coined the 'JazzAxe' or Jazza's Axe. As for its official name, I don't think it has one, because it hasn't got its own universe and story to be in yet, which might be where the name comes from? If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me, anyone! But that's how I've been viewing it anyways.

It says "OTHOG reference" here. Now, I don't know if this is an art jargon or anything. I don't know what it is honestly. I just assumed that it's the axe's name and I'm asking here for confirmations. Help please!

Here is my first draft! well not actually first drawing but first post on this thread! I have a little backstory to this. Next step is linework.

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-13 11:47:01

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-13 15:19:06

My initial idea sketch. And some practice drawing the AXE. I had a little fiasco putting a WIP video together...

WIP video

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-13 15:21:51

Decided to change it up

Response to Jan 2017 COTM: LEGEND of the AXE 2017-01-13 15:22:46

I've cleared the construction lines and decided to add some more bodies. I had to go to the art supplies store to get some colours since I didn't have blue or red!