TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-26 19:46:35 Reply

This past year David Bowie, Prince and George Michael died and I think the reason people are so upset isn't just because these people are so legendary, it's because they can't imagine current pop stars ever being so legendary. Our modern stars feel like emulations of the classics, or like The Force Awakens, everyone and everything nowadays feels a little too safe and familiar.

It makes me wonder, what IS edgy and cool now, because my attention isn't won by the same things as when I was a teenager in the 90s. What really won my attention this year was the people who just went above and beyond with their craft, which is why @Jaime-R feels so legendary because he made A Prank Time. I was also in awe of @PaperbagAnimator and @Kieran-s this year and I like how @Nutcasenightmare continues to make thoughtful games that present issues in a way that is fun to absorb while also showing off some impressive HTML5 chops. This stuff is enjoyed on multiple levels.

I was reading a Trent Reznor interview about rock music and his closing quote struck me: “But it’s not saying much either. Again, this is a blanket statement, this is certainly not including everything, there’s sure good stuff out there, but in general, I’m not blown away by 5 records a month, like, ‘Man, that’s speaking to me.’ Everything feels a bit tame, it feels a lot like something else that’s happened, polite. I think that some of the tastemaker elements, certainly the hipster arena, has leaned towards the praising of gentle familiar R&B twee pop stuff. A lot of what’s blessed as ‘the cool thing’ feels pretty generic, and also feels, a lot of it, like a desperate plea for commercial airplay and success, as there are fewer and fewer avenues for any bands to break out of obscurity these days.”

Newgrounds has been working hard to break interesting people out of obscurity for years now but the hardest part is that NG itself hasn't been able to break out of obscurity. My hope for Newgrounds is that it becomes so consistently INTERESTING that people have to take notice. We need to be our own unique pop culture.

I'd try to come up with a more ra ra closing to this post but I'm out of time at the moment and if I don't click POST I have a feeling I'll never actually post this, like many times in the past when I ramble out some thoughts and decide to save them for later. So I'll just remind everyone that we have a great Supporter upgrade that can go a long way towards improving the site and empowering the people who share their work here! Thank you everyone who has given support so far.

Also apologies in advance to all the amazing artists, developers and musicians I didn't name in this post; it was a quick stream of conscious thing and I'll regret not naming tons of people later. Like how about @aalong64 with Sublo & Tangy Mustard #4, every animator will find frames to study in that one. Or @Ferrantelli, who makes cooler games in 48 hours than most people make in their lives and he's only 19!

I guess my point is that the greatest people I know are right here on Newgrounds and I don't have to look elsewhere for idols. Sometimes it can make you feel crazy that the rest of the world doesn't see what you see but I know a lot of you do, so I just hope we keep getting louder in 2017 and beyond. RA RA!

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
KieranMaster10
KieranMaster10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Blank Slate

thanks for a great year i hope 2017 will be even greater

RightTime
RightTime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Writer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-26 19:55:16 Reply

I agree with everything you said in that post. Thanks for making it all possible Tom. Sometimes it takes awhile for society to catch up with what's really interesting and cutting edge in the world of art and media. I just hope we don't have to wait too long.

OneWhoListens
OneWhoListens
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-26 20:16:23 Reply

One of the reasons I was drawn to NG from the very beginning of my time here was the quality of artists. There's such a mix and they all have unique angles that you just won't find most anyplace else.

If that kind of artist (or designer or animator or musician or whatever) is a diamond in the rough, then NG is a diamond mine.

"Sit down and shut up and do as I say" -- Zeus

BBS Signature
ForgottenDawn
ForgottenDawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate

Right on.

There really hasn't been anything defining in the mainstream lately other than the same old projects playing it safe. Too safe. Yes, there's even such a thing as "overproduced". A lot of rock and metal bands I sometimes listen to that have fallen in the same trap... It's kinda sad. You can tell there's potential, but it's burdened by the money-making machine. Too many people playing it safe, as if they're afraid to step out of the circle for once, otherwise they're forever out of the game. The fear to experiment, otherwise someone's gonna be offended.

For underground bands and artists, it's becoming harder and harder to get noticed through honest ways. Sometimes I just have the impression it doesn't matter how many things you do or how much time and effort you spend on what you love doing the most. It may sound cynical, but I kinda wish it wouldn't be so insular. I see places like Newgrounds that are brimming with undiscovered talent, and yet, those who want to aim a little higher will have a really, really tough time getting their voice out there. It really pains me to say it... I wouldn't trade this community for anything else in the world.

Eh, it's late, I'm rambling again. I hope the upcoming year won't be as brutal.

loading: ...\root\project\Forgotten_Dawn\art\sig.gif

BBS Signature
Thundaboom
Thundaboom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-26 21:06:09 Reply

I love you Tom

No!

Sgt-Coolwhip
Sgt-Coolwhip
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist

For the longest time I was wondering to myself what direction I want to take my art in because I had the same thought, that every art form today isn't groundbreaking anymore and rather safe and generic, but this thread honestly gives me the inspiration and incentive to rather then figuring out what direction I wanna go, that instead I make my own direction with my art. Inspiration and Incentive to actually start experimenting and try to find something new and never done before or that it just really has some special charm to it that cant be matched.

Honestly thanks for the closing thoughts, its inspired a new mission going into 2017 for me. Hope that Newgrounds continues to grow and become not only a sanctuary for animators but for all kinds of artists around, brimming with piles of talent that will all hopefully get the recognition/opportunity hey deserve one day.

KungFuSpaceBarbarian
KungFuSpaceBarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Writer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-26 21:44:51 Reply

I guess my point is that the greatest people I know are right here on Newgrounds and I don't have to look elsewhere for idols. Sometimes it can make you feel crazy that the rest of the world doesn't see what you see but I know a lot of you do, so I just hope we keep getting louder in 2017 and beyond. RA RA!

We're gunna crush it in 2017!

BBS Signature
SinclairStrange
SinclairStrange
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Game Developer

2017 will be the year when I'll make a game people will like :D

If not I'll give up and work as a canteen lady in Milton Keynes.

But seriously, I weirdly like Newgrounds being a bit more "underground" than it was, it has this charm that makes everyone somewhat united and passionate about what they do.

lightning123456
lightning123456
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Game Developer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-26 22:49:14 Reply

I have been around forever, and even when I am away from Newgrounds, I always think of this place as a rebel's place. I don't know about now, but I loved how "out of the box" this place was a bunch of years ago. It makes me happy that you guys are still around :)

CGA-999
CGA-999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-26 23:21:57 Reply

Well said. It hasn't been a great year, but definitely a meaningful one. Happy almost New Year everyone!

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-26 23:37:44 Reply

At 12/26/16 07:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: All that ra ra ra

Yeah @TomFulp , it's tough hearing all these people die this year.....honesty i find it VERY strange. Part of me wants to think it was a setup, but part of me thinks that's paranoid. Either way, what a year...yikes. 2016 has been one of the roughest years on many people in a long time, probably since 2008, and 2009. Me included.

But, NG has had a lot of great advancements this year! :) And 2017, even more so! This year was the first Pixel Day. And next year, very soon, I'm going to be organizing the NGADM team lineup, in the next 2 months, and trying to figure out what time of year is best, and when to move AIM, if there will even be an Art-Inspired Music Contest this year (hopefully, i want to say yes).

2017 will be a lot of change for the site with that included. But as always, if there's more I can do to help, let me know! :) I'm thankful for you Tom, you made history in my life time after time. You gave me the honor of making Pico's School an original soundtrack, AND Scrotum, the first flash submitted to the portal here! I'm honored! There's been lots of reform and more to come with the mishaps with the labels...ouch, but it'll be for the best.

I got my "end of the year" haircut today, and an "year in review" post coming soon, but lots to say about the year. It was still a good year for me though rough at times. Love y'all! Happy holidays from Kentucky. HYUCK

Tyler
Tyler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator

Ive honestly never cared when a celebrity dies and everyone who says they do is lying. They pretend to care for a pat on the back: "How can make this popular topic about me?"

I think things follow a wave motion. We're all playing it safe right now (I know I am), but people are craving something raw and new feeling. The tide inevitably has to change

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 00:30:19 Reply

At 12/26/16 07:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: because these people are so legendary

were*

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Musician
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 00:31:53 Reply

2016 has been a wild ride on and off of Newgrounds for me. I am glad I can still call this place home. If I hear good music or see something good on here, I get like.. idk, super excited and want to show my friends and let them know it was from Newgrounds. I've also gotten to know a few good friends even better now than before the year really started, (@Bit, @rinnythekitty, @CoolBerries, Porkchop, @YumToxic, @CatOfSnow, most of the mod team, and some others.)

Thanks for letting me be part of the mod team and part of the Newgrounds family as always Tom, here's to hoping 2017 is even better than 2016 was! <3

Request Reviews // #8 Reviewer // #2 Audio Reviewer
Audio / Review Moderator - PM with problems or questions

BBS Signature
Brewster
Brewster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 00:33:55 Reply

At 12/26/16 09:06 PM, Thundaboom wrote: I love you Tom

i was just gonna say that

BBS Signature
Bit
Bit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 56
Blank Slate

At 12/27/16 12:31 AM, NekoMika wrote: I've also gotten to know a few good friends even better now than before the year really started, (@Bit, @rinnythekitty, @CoolBerries, Porkchop, [...]

This has been the highlight of my year.

PhantomArcade
PhantomArcade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Animator
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 03:45:37 Reply

I've found a great bunch of new people who's work I love, and who've outdone themselves yet again this year here on NG. So I can't wait to see who'll pop up in the New Year, and for all the cartoons being cooked up right now for 2017.

Shit's gonna be fantastic.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 05:09:21 Reply

You know, that post of yours took the words right out of my mouth. Thanks for saying this at a time when we so desperately needed it.

deathink
deathink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Melancholy

Speaking of 19yo nerds making fab stuff, CHECK THIS GUY OUT!!!

• Uncle Gwandpa
    Uncle Gwandpa by Ex-Poser

Uncle Gwandpa goes full Gwandpa on Pizza Steve. Can he handle it!?

Score
    3.83 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+
  • Fallout 4- Another settlement
    Fallout 4- Another settlement by Ex-Poser

Another. Settlement.

Score
    4.14 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

@ex-poser

"NEWGROUNDS, it's everything to everyone" -RicePirate

Manderby
Manderby
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 07:51:25 Reply

At 12/26/16 07:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: It makes me wonder, what IS edgy and cool now...

Had many discussions over the past days and weeks about just that. I think the challenges people face everyday should be more restrictive. Having to restrict yourself makes you hitting the boundaries sooner hence forcing you to find inventive ways to overcome them.

Nowadays people are drawn into new things with "potential". But I think just having potential is not sufficient enough. Look at no mans skies. Lots of potential but completely unrestricted. Look at minecraft: Restricted to blocks but people build whole worlds with it.

When looking at the future, I would like to see more competitions on Newgrounds with very strict rules. It makes people aware of specialization and gives a fair chance to unknown artists.

Anyways, 2016 was a good start to the supporter model. Current changes on other platforms and the Web overall slowly push Newgrounds in the focus again. Thanks to the whole Newgrounds-Team for pushing forward! Happy Holidays!

You find Let's Plays in German of some Flash games here on Newgrounds on my YouTube channel

BBS Signature
MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Filmmaker
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer

At 12/27/16 08:20 AM, MindChamber wrote: I cried

You're just still thinking about the droid from Rogue One.

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
FuShark
FuShark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Artist
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 09:15:01 Reply

First year on here as a legit user and I'm happy to keep this fight going! My art output has never been so high and I look forward to contributing even more in 2017. Lets get them tanks polished and ready for war!

Jyni
Jyni
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Melancholy
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 09:36:03 Reply

Great post senpai.

2016 was a great year especially thanks to you guys!

I hope 2017 will be even better!

Mammothtree
Mammothtree
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 10:07:16 Reply

"Sometimes it can make you feel crazy that the rest of the world doesn't see what you see but I know a lot of you do, so I just hope we keep getting louder in 2017 and beyond. RA RA!"

This is a great line Tom, let's go 2017!

ForgottenDawn
ForgottenDawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 10:17:58 Reply

At 12/26/16 11:37 PM, RealFaction wrote: But, NG has had a lot of great advancements this year! :) And 2017, even more so! This year was the first Pixel Day. And next year, very soon, I'm going to be organizing the NGADM team lineup, in the next 2 months, and trying to figure out what time of year is best, and when to move AIM, if there will even be an Art-Inspired Music Contest this year (hopefully, i want to say yes).

...and The Underground Collective. cough ;)
Which might come back this upcoming February. Emphasis on might.

loading: ...\root\project\Forgotten_Dawn\art\sig.gif

BBS Signature
Radaketor
Radaketor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Movie Buff
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 11:22:22 Reply

you guys are alright, don't go to school in 2017

At 12/26/16 07:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: It makes me wonder, what IS edgy and cool now

me, I am

"If Trump cured cancer you'd all be bitching about how he put researchers and hospitals out of business."

BBS Signature
MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 11:22:26 Reply

P.s.
At the risk of sounding like a broken record.I'd gladly pay 7.99 a month if I could enjoy NG as an app on my TV and game systems..

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 11:23:05 Reply

At 12/27/16 08:23 AM, TomFulp wrote:
Your just still thinking about the droid from Rogue One.

Thanks, I'm crying again now.