TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 15:30:08 Reply

At 12/19/16 03:16 PM, BoMToons wrote: "Can you name every movie their from?" --> *They're

Thank you for saving me future embarrassment.

Reading that bit about "grooveshark" above is a little scary... would it be too weird to separate out the audio stuff under a different domain name/different business entity just in case someone comes after the audio portal stuff? It could still appear to be full integrated visually, just have a diff. domain in the address bar...

That's an interesting question... The Audio Portal isn't anything like grooveshark but anything involving music on-line has some risks. It would likely also need to be a new company, not just a new domain... Gonna just hope for the best on the enforcement front.

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 15:31:49 Reply

Really enjoy the background, but I still think the layout itself is bland.

Either way, glad to see the audio portal get some love.

Also, how long have these ugly af intrusive ads been here?

New FP & Some Goals for 2017

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 15:38:53 Reply

At 12/19/16 03:27 PM, JordanKyser wrote: The new FP is amazing! Still waiting on the new layout to come through userpages, media pages (as in pages for audio, movies, art, and games) and the forums.

The main hubs are done so we're getting soooooo close!

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 15:42:07 Reply

At 12/19/16 03:31 PM, Zachary wrote: Also, how long have these ugly af intrusive ads been here?

Had tried them out earlier in the year and they came back for December.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 15:42:24 Reply

The layout works well, i think the music copyright thing is a big bummer.

Is there some sort of way to strip the audio from a swf and embed it with something else on mp4 conversion? I cant' remember if mike's Swivel does that already. While the updated audio might not work as well creatively, i think its better than totally losing something forever.

The historical value of some of the stuff on this site and its meaning to the internet is so important it would be a shame to just have it be gone forever.

Maybe generating a list of stuff that has been disabled would be cool, maybe aspiring musicians can reinvision something to replace the copyrighted music and at the same time saving something historically important to drop off forever.

None

Zhon
Zhon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Artist

I actually got really sad when I saw the secret message text missing, so I'm glad it was unintentional. Couldn't live without Shoom. Y'know.

Also: I know I'm in the vast minority, but I still miss the dropdowns.

Also also: I've never held a New Year's Resolution before, and rarely ever make them because I think they're silly, but I will resolve to help welcome new creators on Newgrounds in the year of 2017! I'll help make history for both of us if I actually stick to it.

Happy holy days.

EDIT: Forgot I wanted to mention this, but any chance you'll do something like DeviantART in terms of creative licensing? That is, default to having your uploaded content under CC 2.0, but allow users to change it to their liking? Would probably be a good idea to prominently display it on-page as well. But this encourages free use, without imposing restrictions or driving the restricted crowd away.

Duck.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 15:53:51 Reply

At 12/19/16 03:42 PM, Luis wrote: Is there some sort of way to strip the audio from a swf and embed it with something else on mp4 conversion? I cant' remember if mike's Swivel does that already. While the updated audio might not work as well creatively, i think its better than totally losing something forever.

Can't do that with Swivel but can use an SWF decompiler to swap audio assets. The problem comes with streamed audio, which gets merged into a single audio file that has all streamed music PLUS any sound effects that were played while the music was playing. This becomes a really difficult file to re-create and the current decompilers don't let you swap out the stream audio - although Mike could make something that lets us do that.

Maybe generating a list of stuff that has been disabled would be cool, maybe aspiring musicians can reinvision something to replace the copyrighted music and at the same time saving something historically important to drop off forever.

This is something I'm hoping to do and I need to put a call out to build a team for this. @RealFaction already helped rescue Scrotum the Puppy, which had some short loops that were a concern. People say there's an < 30 second rule but that rule appears debatable. Still need to re-score the remaining episodes but I got the FLA files for those so that helps.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 15:58:25 Reply

At 12/19/16 03:53 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/19/16 03:42 PM, Luis wrote: Is there some sort of way to strip the audio from a swf and embed it with something else on mp4 conversion? I cant' remember if mike's Swivel does that already. While the updated audio might not work as well creatively, i think its better than totally losing something forever.
Can't do that with Swivel but can use an SWF decompiler to swap audio assets. The problem comes with streamed audio, which gets merged into a single audio file that has all streamed music PLUS any sound effects that were played while the music was playing. This becomes a really difficult file to re-create and the current decompilers don't let you swap out the stream audio - although Mike could make something that lets us do that.

This is something I'm hoping to do and I need to put a call out to build a team for this. @RealFaction already helped rescue Scrotum the Puppy, which had some short loops that were a concern. People say there's an < 30 second rule but that rule appears debatable. Still need to re-score the remaining episodes but I got the FLA files for those so that helps.

Thats promising, I can't speak for everyone in this situation but my fla's for my really old stuff is gone forever as the files are over 15 years old, so i couldnt rely on opening something old and just resaving without the audio tagged to it. i dont know enough about how swfs embed the audio, so i was thinking out loud of doing surgery and stripping out the bit that references the audio parts.

None

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 16:00:07 Reply

At 12/19/16 03:52 PM, Zhon wrote: I actually got really sad when I saw the secret message text missing, so I'm glad it was unintentional. Couldn't live without Shoom. Y'know.

This is fixed now!

Also: I know I'm in the vast minority, but I still miss the dropdowns.

:(

Also also: I've never held a New Year's Resolution before, and rarely ever make them because I think they're silly, but I will resolve to help welcome new creators on Newgrounds in the year of 2017! I'll help make history for both of us if I actually stick to it.

That's a good resolution!

EDIT: Forgot I wanted to mention this, but any chance you'll do something like DeviantART in terms of creative licensing? That is, default to having your uploaded content under CC 2.0, but allow users to change it to their liking? Would probably be a good idea to prominently display it on-page as well. But this encourages free use, without imposing restrictions or driving the restricted crowd away.

This is where things get wacky... We DO have those options where artists can change it to their liking. The issue is that right now you can set it to allow commercial use but we still have the message that tells you to ask for permission... I think the wording on that was changed because of some default licensing settings that were put in place when CC was added. We need to address that.

BBS Signature
dietzribi
dietzribi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Game Developer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 16:13:21 Reply

At 12/19/16 02:44 PM, TomFulp wrote:
This is because on mobile it only shows games you can play on mobile. If you want to see everything, the bottom of your account page has a checkbox you can uncheck - "Hide incompatible submissions on mobile."

Whoops, that makes sense. I'm retarded

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer

At 12/19/16 03:05 PM, TomFulp wrote: Whoops looking into that now.

*relief* Also looks like it's back! Nice.

We do keep all of that data when content is unpublished, it just comes down to what we show on the page and that can have some case by case issues where sometimes you want it all gone completely so we need to build around that.

Cool. I assume it'd be a pretty good SEO boost too if as much as possible was left online (as in publicly viewable).

Will be keeping two-factor in mind, although it doesn't help when people get their email compromised but if their email is two-factor via phone (like gmail) then that is pretty tight.

Yeah, that's what I use. :) Seems a lot of services are adding email-based authorization lately (GOG and Steam for two), and it feels pretty smooth when they go via a more secure main account

The ability to pack all your data into a ZIP and download it would be interesting... Could be a good supporter feature since I imagine dumping all your posts, PMs, reviews, etc. into text files and packing everything into one ZIP with your uploads would consume server resources but I need to learn more about what it would entail.

Supporter perk would be great! Glad to hear it's considerable.

XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 54
Movie Buff
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 17:30:49 Reply

Glad to see how newgrounds have changed and become great for artists.

~X~

Fungasm
Fungasm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 17:34:43 Reply

Site's lookin great, Tom. Kinda sucks about all the copyright stuff, but it was inevitable- plus like some have said, it's probably better for all of us in the long run. It'll give people more chances to work together and make more original content.

ItsameNatan
ItsameNatan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 18:22:59 Reply

Is copyrighted graphical content at risk of being deleted in the future too? It would suck to have stuff like Super Duck Hunt to be deleted.

sudo apt-get install sig

BBS Signature
ADR3-N
ADR3-N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 18:28:00 Reply

At 12/19/16 01:57 PM, NekoMika wrote:
At 12/19/16 01:30 PM, FinaLee wrote: Shit, gotta hit the AP and look for some bad guys
There will always the Geometry Dash dumpers who don't care if they get Newgrounds removed off the internet for their 5 seconds of fun.

This. 1000x this, taking advantage of the fact that we, unlike YT, aren't unscrupulous, money-hoarding pricks riding a cash cow of unmoderated content, where bots automatically transfer revenue from your videos to label's bank accounts.

99% of the copyrighted material I run across now is from fire-and-forget GD theft accounts made same day as the submission. In fact, I encounter more of those than low quality covers of copyrighted songs or.. anything else rule-breaking aside from duplo music really. We need more users actively looking for this crap, flagging, and getting involved in keeping NG afloat. Only takes one Yersina pestis bacterium to start up the plague. Most users don't realize that they've got the power in their hands to stop it.

Re: new layout and resolutions, I can't express just how much I stand behind Tom and the rest of NG. This has been my web home for over a decade and a central point in my life, as well as my creative outlet. If we keep working hard, others in the time to come can know that same sense of purpose and belonging NG is famous for.

Let's not forget that we have always been innovators, entrepreneurs, advocates, bastions of free speech, the first of our kind. We are unquestionably unique, and we can change the world. I mean, for christ's sake, some of us have had our music featured in Sprint commercials -- "Narwhals", anyone? What other honest, hard-working, user-generated content site can say that? We're a user-friendly community in a spiderweb of money grubbing imitations, a handshake in place of robbery. YouTube hangs its users out to dry in favor of lining its pockets. SoundCloud charges you for upload time. The list goes on. NG is just great, dammit, and it's going to keep being great.

The simplest solution is either right, or dumb af.
AP Flag HowTo - VSTs! - Sig by LexaHergon

BBS Signature
ThePhenomenon
ThePhenomenon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 18:35:36 Reply

Everyone ignores Maverlyn (my post on page 66). He can submit whatever he wants and get away with it.

Zhon
Zhon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Artist
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 20:22:20 Reply

At 12/19/16 04:00 PM, TomFulp wrote:
(

Did you also mean to take away the mouseover previews from the "Latest" panel on the front page?

Also, Shoom looks fantastic in the new layout. I guess it's starting to grow on me.

Duck.

SevenSeize
SevenSeize
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 20:24:49 Reply

At 12/19/16 12:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: We just launched our new front page, complete with a holiday site skin by @PennilessRagamuffin! This skin features original characters who appeared on the front page in 2016. Can you name every movie they're from?

I love this site skin. I would gladly share my chocolate covered Lays with @pennilessragamuffin.

Blordow
Blordow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Artist
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 20:30:06 Reply

I'd love to submit music to NG again, and I've mentioned this before but the reason I stopped was because there are no meta tagging options, so that when people download my music it will have the right formatting, album art, artist name and other details I may want the track to have, rather than default to just my NG username and song ID.

Hope to see this added, because I feel like I could reach more game developers and artists here.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 36
Movie Buff

New front page looks good, though I still think the nav buttons are too flat and lifeless. Just grey with no extra detail. I don't exactly know graphic design but surely they should *pop* or something. I like the rest of it.

I haven't reported any flash for copyrighted music yet, basically because of this:

At 12/19/16 12:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: You might feel like you're ratting someone out

It was a different time. It's depressing if cartoons that made me laugh get removed now after being up so long. There's so many of my favourite youtube videos missing but NG for the most part has remained intact, and that's one of the things I respected. Though I trust that you'll be mindful about it and I won't wake up one day to find half my favourites list dead by firing squad.

I think I have some internet impermanence anxiety (I literally came up with that term as I was typing it, where's my PhD at) in that I panic a bit if things I like might disappear forever even when it's menial garbage that no one else remembers or cares about.

Covers being banned sucks as well. Obviously we wouldn't be pushing so hard if it wasn't necessary but I'd be lying if I said I'm not disheartened by these changes. I'm questioning if it's still worth holding on if the site needs to bite off a proverbial leg to keep going. Though I did hear RealFaction's re-scores in the audio portal and that has me a bit more optimistic. Just another bump in the road I guess. Or a sinkhole.

ps, just spotted the little GD graphic on the audio upload page, nice addition lol.

At 12/19/16 06:28 PM, EDM364 wrote: fire-and-forget GD theft accounts

just want to point out how great the choice of phrasing is on this. like we're talking about proper dangerous military shit.

New FP & Some Goals for 2017

BBS Signature
BlueAlpha14
BlueAlpha14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 22:04:14 Reply

What if it's a specifically no copyrighted track? Do we still need to ask?

NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Musician
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 23:13:24 Reply

At 12/19/16 10:04 PM, BlueAlpha14 wrote: What if it's a specifically no copyrighted track? Do we still need to ask?

Do you mean to upload or to do a cover / remix of?

If it is the former, will be banned for it. If it is the latter, it should be fine. :)

Request Reviews // #8 Reviewer // #2 Audio Reviewer
Audio / Review Moderator - PM with problems or questions

BBS Signature
calicrazedbeats
calicrazedbeats
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 23:18:32 Reply

I always seem to have a problem uploading audio through google chrome. havent tried other browsers. for some reason I need to upload it twice in the upload page.

BlueAlpha14
BlueAlpha14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 23:38:22 Reply

At 12/19/16 11:13 PM, NekoMika wrote:
At 12/19/16 10:04 PM, BlueAlpha14 wrote: What if it's a specifically no copyrighted track? Do we still need to ask?
Do you mean to upload or to do a cover / remix of?

If it is the former, will be banned for it. If it is the latter, it should be fine. :)

I feel stupid for asking but what is "former" and "latter"?

creepyboy
creepyboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Artist
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-19 23:59:02 Reply

I loved the FP design on mobile. Now I can waste time on NG on my cellphone too.

Sorry for my bad english. I'm not from this planet
Art Page|Art Thread|DeviantArt|Youtube

BBS Signature
NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Musician
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 00:06:30 Reply

At 12/19/16 11:38 PM, BlueAlpha14 wrote: I feel stupid for asking but what is "former" and "latter"?

Former - first option
Latter - second option :P

Request Reviews // #8 Reviewer // #2 Audio Reviewer
Audio / Review Moderator - PM with problems or questions

BBS Signature
JimmyTheCaterpillar
JimmyTheCaterpillar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Writer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 01:14:36 Reply

Every time I find an animator on a website that isn't Newgrounds, I always make sure to recommend the site to them! Been doing that for years and I don't intend to stop. I hope we keep growing and growing as time goes on!

Here's to a great New Year.

SIG BY AMARANTHUS.| I USED TO BE BROKENRECORD6299 AND UNCLECUBONE
| I play a lot of Smash Bros.| Here's some advice on how to be a writer.
Shaboogity.

BBS Signature
Pjorg
Pjorg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Writer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 01:31:34 Reply

Just wanted to say thanks to @pennilessragamuffin for including Peck and Coach in the banner! This was a really wonderful surprise. IDK whose idea it was to do all OC from this past year but I like the idea a lot. It works nicely as a quick year end recap. I think its smart to keep building up the next generation of creators in little ways like this. Keeps the site fresh. Also a certain 3rd installment of a certain series is in the works and this has been a nice boost of motivation so thanks

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Writer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 04:18:48 Reply

At 12/19/16 12:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: I also hope many new people will join the party in 2017. The web got really fractured and lots of talented people don't even know NG exists. When you find someone you like, make sure they know they would be welcome here!

The web didn't become fractured. It changed because it became marketable, it is no longer the wild west like back in the old days. Content is harder and harder to push for and creative people can't always keep up. I keep saying that animators and game developers need to be acting more like producers than one man armies. There are a lot of skillful people here who can come together and make wonderful things.

However bringing in new people is not that easy. It's kind of hard to sell this site without it becoming overwhelming.

Wiesi
Wiesi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 05:47:31 Reply

The new frontpage is looking great!!