00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

CdmollerV1 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Am I Scouting Material?

2,569 Views | 30 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I'm not asking to be scouted, I am however asking if anyone thinks that I'm scouting material. As in, do you think I belong in the Art Portal. Please give opinions as to why you think so or why you think not. Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
Ill leave my most recent work here.

Edit:Image looks shit on here. To view my art at its full potential, go to my art page.

Am I Scouting Material?

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-10 05:13:37

At 11/10/16 04:54 AM, ThaFallenOne wrote: Please give opinions as to why you think so or why you think not. Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
Ill leave my most recent work here.

Who gets scouted is entirely up to the discretion of artists that are in the portal proper. There's a guide, but I assume you know how it works.

For a personal opinion, if that's what you're asking, then no, sorry. And due to your devotion to a highly stylized approach there's not much I can say to help you. Basically the most efficient ways to get better are to copy life (life drawing, still life, alla prima etc) or to copy other artists (master studies, but don't be showing those off). Just keep that in mind.

Consider attempting more complicated or ambitious pieces. Unless it's hyper realistic bust work, headshots don't tend to turn heads.

Try not to take it to heart. My first submissions were terrible, took me a while to get scouted too.

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-10 06:09:56

Who gets scouted is entirely up to the discretion of artists that are in the portal proper. There's a guide, but I assume you know how it works.

For a personal opinion, if that's what you're asking, then no, sorry. And due to your devotion to a highly stylized approach there's not much I can say to help you. Basically the most efficient ways to get better are to copy life (life drawing, still life, alla prima etc) or to copy other artists (master studies, but don't be showing those off). Just keep that in mind.

Consider attempting more complicated or ambitious pieces. Unless it's hyper realistic bust work, headshots don't tend to turn heads.

Try not to take it to heart. My first submissions were terrible, took me a while to get scouted too.

Thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it. Nothing is taken to heart but I will keep in mind of what you said. I'll try to build from your words. Thank you.

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-10 09:32:18

Like Lintire said, you could benefit taking some time and learning your basics, 3d space, life/gesture drawings and colour theory. You do have room for a lot of improvement, but don't shy away from the art portal! Take it to your advantage to learn - Post some art and attract others to give you feedback, take note, learn and develop it in your next piece - You'll get there! But being scouted isn't what you should aim for first, you should be aiming for your own satisfaction, achieving what you want out of your art. Best of luck, I look forward to watching you develop!

- I do not wish to hurt you, just merely torture you -

BBS Signature

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-12 04:51:25

At 11/10/16 09:32 AM, NilesCD wrote: Like Lintire said, you could benefit taking some time and learning your basics, 3d space, life/gesture drawings and colour theory. You do have room for a lot of improvement, but don't shy away from the art portal! Take it to your advantage to learn - Post some art and attract others to give you feedback, take note, learn and develop it in your next piece - You'll get there! But being scouted isn't what you should aim for first, you should be aiming for your own satisfaction, achieving what you want out of your art. Best of luck, I look forward to watching you develop!

life gesture
Sorry for the late reply. First and foremost, thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it.
So 3d space, life/gesture drawings, and color theory. Got it! Thanks for the feedback, I really, really, appreciate it :)

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-12 04:57:42

Barely Finished this. I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone. I usually only do faces but I took a chance. Please rate ?-10.
10 being Excellent and 0 being complete shit.

P.S. for better quality, visit my page.

Am I Scouting Material?

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-12 18:48:20 (edited 2016-11-12 18:52:25)

At 11/12/16 04:57 AM, ThaFallenOne wrote: Barely Finished this. I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone. I usually only do faces but I took a chance. Please rate ?-10.
10 being Excellent and 0 being complete shit.

Uh, I don't like rating with scale, but I'd give it... 4/10? Maybe 5? I guess?

Before I'd go to the "what's wrong?" part, I'll point out few positives:
- It looks like you actually cared about what you're doing. We can see some smooth lines, clear shapes, minor details (such as mill, river edges or tree roots). It doesn't look like you cared about quantity over quality.
- I like the way you used the blur to create this blinding-light-something-effect instead of bluring everything for no goddamn reason.
- I see that you're trying to play with perspective in the bacground instead of typical, boring side-view of a grass field.

What's wrong?
1. Anatomy
- it's hard for me to even begin, so I'll go from top to the bottom:
a) head - I clearly see that there's some stylisation going on, but I feel like she's lacking a back part of skull. Her head (over her hand, next to the headphones) just... is like pushed inside? Flattened? Hard to describe.
Here's a photo with similar perspective (I've chosen a bald lady to make the shape of her head more obvious and visible: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/10/cd/67/10cd673e79e6ef75acd7ebd49e609704.jpg )
b) torso - in comparison to her head it seems fine, but next to all the other body parts it looks abmormously big, which leads us to...
c) arms - they are just too small. Normal human with realistic proportions, while standing straight with arms down, will reach with fingers around halfway of the hip + a hand is around the size of your face (when you're adult). I know that you can stylise some things, but in that case it looks just... wrong.
d) legs - they look too small too. Usually they are around 1/2 lenght of the body. I guess you may wanted to put them in perspective? Anyway, it didn't come out well.
2. Shadows - like really, what the heck is going on? I mean, she doesn't stand in the middle of the city, so it's safe to assume that the only light source avaible is the sun. Let's try to guess where it is - it shouldn't be difficult since shadows are on the opposite side of the object than the light source. So, looking at girl - it's in front of her, a little to the left; looking at fence - it's from the direction that river is, a little to the right; looking at the mill - it's behind the mountains, a little to the left; looking by a river - it's high above, a little to the left... what?
- This is not the only thing that's bad with the shadows here. For some unknown reason they all are blured, no matter what surface they're on.
- Also, all the shadows are made with black and white colours. I know they're sometimes useful too, but try to avoid shading with colours from the gray scale (most of the time it makes your drawing look unnatural). Try to use colours instead. If you use photoshop, SAI or any program with layer modes, "multiply" will be useful for darker areas, and "brighening", "soft light" or other (just try them out) for light areas.
3. Colours - they all are so saturated + they don't work well together. Same as the opposite colour for black is white, others have opposites too: blue and orange, green and magenta, red and cyan. When one of them is saturated, it's good to make the other one less saturated (otherwise your eyes will burn in pain).
Your scene looks like a warm, sunny place, so I'd rather use more yellow-ish colours and made all the blue hues less saturated.

I'm too lazy to write more, but these are the biggest issues I see here. Hope I helped somehow.

Answering the title question: Not yet, but you may be soon. :)

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-13 01:05:40 (edited 2016-11-13 01:07:24)

It's not really hard to get scouted here, honestly. But if we're basing this off your music, then "No." I don't think it's scout-worthy yet. That's not what it's about though. Popularity and success mean nothing if it's not fun. Have fun with your work. Strive to learn more and experiment with what you learned. If you find yourself not having fun then it's probably not your thing.

Note: Ignore my uploads since I just got done moving profiles and there's only one at the moment.

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-13 02:18:52

Thank you for the feedback

Am I Scouting Material?

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-13 18:25:24 (edited 2016-11-13 18:26:18)

I don't mean to overwhelm you with a bunch of critiques (since so many other people have also given critiques), but one thing I feel that hasn't been mentioned is this: when it comes to learning shadows and how they work, I personally think it's always a good idea to start out with cell-shading. When you use the softer airbrushes, it makes it a lot harder for beginners to learn this and allows for a lot of room to overcomplicate things instead of being able to understand it better. ;v; Like, it's more lenient I suppose. I know because I used to be obsessed with airbrushes, yet I never really understood how shading works. Only recently had I begun to even barely grasp these concepts, but I've gotta say that it's mainly because I experimented with cell-shading.

But when you shade, never be afraid to put it too much or make it too dark since a huge mistake people tend to make is to 'outline' instead of actually shade things. And by 'outlining,' I mean doing this. .w.

I hope I made sense because I suck at explaining things.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-17 05:47:13 (edited 2016-11-17 05:48:44)

Okay well here's my latest project. I had to back up from full body to facial portrait because I needed to go back to the basics. Thank you all for your feedback and feel welcome to give more feedback on my latest artwork.
I tried doing that light blue light on the right that people usually do. tell me how I did. XoXo

... for better resolution, go to my page ...

Am I Scouting Material?

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-17 15:43:55

At 11/17/16 05:47 AM, ThaFallenOne wrote: Okay well here's my latest project. I had to back up from full body to facial portrait because I needed to go back to the basics. Thank you all for your feedback and feel welcome to give more feedback on my latest artwork.
I tried doing that light blue light on the right that people usually do. tell me how I did. XoXo

... for better resolution, go to my page ...

This is great, but it seems you're still having problems with shadows!
You have them in the right place if the light is on the left, but that halo looks awfully bright, that should also be a source of light.
Otherwise, that's some fantastic progress.

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-22 09:39:06

My latest piece. Let me know what ya'll think.

Am I Scouting Material?

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-12-21 19:18:12

You're standards are pretty high
If this is the worst you can do, you're very good

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-12-24 03:31:55

New artwork, what do ya think fellas?
Full resolution at my art page.

Am I Scouting Material?

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-12-27 20:40:07

It may seem inconsequential, but I take registration date and level into account. Generally I will never scout anyone who registered less than a few months ago, and ignore low level accounts.

On top of that though, I'd work on proportions. It's been said already, but I can testify how much my own skill skyrocketed after about a month of drawing still-lifes and other things out of my comfort zone.

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-12-27 22:40:09 (edited 2016-12-27 22:41:52)

At 12/24/16 03:31 AM, ThaFallenOne wrote: New artwork, what do ya think fellas?
Full resolution at my art page.

I think its alright but theres some stuff you can improve on, like the other said you gotta work on that proportion / anatomy. But specifically with this piece :

- The head is oddly shape like a squash rather than it being kind of spherical, I suggest looking at some reference picture for heads.

-The halo angle is kind of tilted a different way than the head direction is. The head direction is slightly lowered while the halo's angle is straight.

*added a quick sketch to visualized the points, some other minor points

Unless this is all due "style" you can ignore this and keep on drawing :p!

Am I Scouting Material?

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-12-29 00:46:01

holy crap!
thanks everyone!

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-11 23:52:49

Alright, I've come back after a while. With my recent art, Am I good enough now?

Am I Scouting Material?

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-12 01:15:01 (edited 2017-05-12 01:15:22)

At 5/11/17 11:52 PM, ThaFallenOne wrote: Alright, I've come back after a while. With my recent art, Am I good enough now?

Haven't seen you in a while, glad you're back! You've improved a TON since the last time you've posted, especially with your values and sense of depth. :D
Though, are you making a joke or actually asking if you're high enough of a level to be scouted? Because if it's the latter, only time will tell if someone thinks you're scouting material. Because whether or not someone responds, it'll only be answered once you actually get scouted and not by just a yes or a no.
Hope that makes sense. ;v;

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-12 11:01:18

At 5/12/17 01:15 AM, Oddlem wrote:
Haven't seen you in a while, glad you're back! You've improved a TON since the last time you've posted, especially with your values and sense of depth. :D
Though, are you making a joke or actually asking if you're high enough of a level to be scouted? Because if it's the latter, only time will tell if someone thinks you're scouting material. Because whether or not someone responds, it'll only be answered once you actually get scouted and not by just a yes or a no.
Hope that makes sense. ;v

Cheers. Totally joking man. Thanks, I like to think I improved too! :)
But honestly I don't really care about being scouted anymore. as long as I have fun doing what I do, ill be ok.

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-12 15:20:51 (edited 2017-05-12 15:22:04)

Well, i guess yes.
I see some effort in your production.
In my opinion everyone who shows effort in their artworks is scouting worthy

BBS Signature

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-15 01:14:52

More goodies!

Am I Scouting Material?

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-15 01:16:11 (edited 2017-05-15 01:16:37)

Annnnndddd even more goods

Am I Scouting Material?

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-15 09:14:58 (edited 2017-05-15 09:15:50)

EDIT

Am I Scouting Material?

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-16 11:40:34

Edit:Image looks shit on here. To view my art at its full potential, go to my art page.

Newgrounds is kind of a shit hole to be honest - cause it breeds Art "censorship" who am I to decide if this is art or not? Of course one can always improve, different styles etc. But the art should only be "rated" by rating itself (people vote high on art pieces they like, lower on ones they dont) but this scouting shit is just redicolous --- bottom line is, if you want to be succsessful in this site you have to follow THIS site rules (which is kind of sad)

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.” Margaret Mead | Anwser to all problems

BBS Signature

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-16 14:46:51

At 5/16/17 11:40 AM, mait192 wrote:
Newgrounds is kind of a shit hole to be honest - cause it breeds Art "censorship" who am I to decide if this is art or not? Of course one can always improve, different styles etc. But the art should only be "rated" by rating itself (people vote high on art pieces they like, lower on ones they dont) but this scouting shit is just redicolous --- bottom line is, if you want to be succsessful in this site you have to follow THIS site rules (which is kind of sad)

I wouldn't criticise the site so hard.
But i'll agree getting scouted is quite hard at the beginning (it's also a little annoyance you have to go through at the beginning i guess).
Despite having uploaded 4 artworks (one of which frontpaged) i'm still unscouted :/

BBS Signature

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-16 19:15:14

At 5/16/17 02:46 PM, OrangeWedge wrote:
At 5/16/17 11:40 AM, mait192 wrote: Newgrounds is kind of a shit hole to be honest - cause it breeds Art "censorship" who am I to decide if this is art or not?
I wouldn't criticise the site so hard.
But i'll agree getting scouted is quite hard at the beginning (it's also a little annoyance you have to go through at the beginning i guess).
Despite having uploaded 4 artworks (one of which frontpaged) i'm still unscouted :/

There are two types of people in the unscouted section.
There are those like ThaFallenOne who will work harder on the things they love doing and improve their chances of getting scouted.
And there are those who will blame the site because their filtered screenshots of "Attack On Titan" aren't getting scouted.

(Good luck with getting scouted, btw.)

Am I Scouting Material?

BBS Signature

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-16 20:04:59

At 5/16/17 07:15 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:

- CUT -

(Good luck with getting scouted, btw.)

Well, i agree.
Cheaters are the worse.

BBS Signature

Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-16 20:23:26

Well, i agree.
Cheaters are the worse.

Cheating? I can explain the whole creating process - In my upload there is not even 1 pixel of my reference included - What you are suggesting is, I took the photo and used only filter on it and then uploaded?

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.” Margaret Mead | Anwser to all problems

BBS Signature