TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer

Owlboy Art Jam

After nine years of development, the beautiful and amazing Owlboy was released this week!

To celebrate, we're hosting an Owlboy Art Jam.

Create some Owlboy fan art, tag it with "owlboy" and upload by November 13th at 11:59PM EST to participate.

The Owlboy team will select their favorites and ten of you will be awarded Owlboy Steam keys. Already have it? Makes a great gift!

Best entries will also be featured on the front page and in an upcoming news post.

Nostalgia Time

Vice published a fun article about growing up with Newgrounds.

Everyone should read it; maybe we'll be their most popular article and they'll write about NG every week.

Also don't miss this documentary about independent animation by @Jazza, featuring @Egoraptor, @Stamper, @RicePirate, @El-Cid, @RubberNinja, @FelixColgrave and myself.

While we're talking video, another one to watch is This Week on Newgrounds #12, by @Noodle! It just came out this afternoon and you'll get to see Noodle's Batman impression.

If all this reminds you how much you love Newgrounds, consider becoming a Supporter! It's just $2.99 per month, you get a ton of perks AND you are helping to build the future of Newgrounds. Can you imagine if we didn't live or die by ads and could focus purely on making the site fun and filled with original content? With your help, it can happen!

THANK YOU everyone who helped us hit our October goal.

Site Updates

This week @PsychoGoldfish introduced the new Games and Movies hubs. On desktop you get a streamlined layout. On mobile you get a mobile layout showcasing mobile-friendly content. Your account page has a new item under "Content Display Options" - the ability to toggle whether desktop content is hidden on mobile.

I just played PIPTO on my phone and it plays great, despite sound not working in this case.

@liljim has moved the front page archives and search to the new layout. In the audio archive you can click a song thumbnail to play the list in-page. Yes, this will be coming to user pages when they make the transition and I'm excited too!

Voting is underway to determine the Best of October, expect the results on Monday.

Also be sure to vote on and review our Halloween Spooktacular entries, including Audio and Art. Winners TBD!

Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
ZVCH
ZVCH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Animator

The mobile looks great! Glad to see you guys are making the leaps!

Crazy thought, but what if the portal was on the front page of mobile? Toward the bottom so if I'm on the go I can get my exp up

I would like to see a mobile portal at some point as I'm sure you would too

IceBreak23
IceBreak23
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Voice Actor
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-03 16:40:05 Reply

Awesome Good luck to all!

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Musician
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-03 16:40:21 Reply

Owlboy looks great! I'll check it out.

I started a song for halloween, but wasn't able to finish it in time... Too bad. I'll finish it anyway and post it soon.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-03 16:50:00 Reply

At 11/3/16 04:39 PM, ZVCH wrote: The mobile looks great! Glad to see you guys are making the leaps!

Crazy thought, but what if the portal was on the front page of mobile? Toward the bottom so if I'm on the go I can get my exp up

I would like to see a mobile portal at some point as I'm sure you would too

The front page should be coming soon so we'll have to keep that in mind - the desktop version features under judgment entries in the bottom left so wouldn't be a bad idea to carry a few over to mobile.

The Classic Portal will also be getting the mobile treatment once some other pages are done. And just wait until the content view / listen pages themselves play better with mobile!

BBS Signature
Tyler
Tyler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-03 16:51:29 Reply

I am so upset its PC only :'-C

SuperPhil64
SuperPhil64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Animator
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-03 17:10:09 Reply

I'm absolutely going to have to make some time for this. I've been wanting this game for so long!

SadisticAphid60
SadisticAphid60
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Masculine
Masculine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Artist
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-03 19:49:55 Reply

At 11/3/16 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: I just played PIPTO on my phone and it plays great, despite sound not working in this case.

Unfortunately on mobile, voting on games is all but impossible since it's hidden until pressed but games aren't in the same screen.

BBS Signature
icecold-productions
icecold-productions
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Game Developer

Happy to see something like this made, The Art and Style Really reminds me of a playstation game called Tail Concerto, have to give this a try, when i can afford it and get a job lol.

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Art Lover
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-03 21:49:43 Reply

Nice! Hope I can finish something for the Owlboy art jam!

About the site updates. Aren't those links kinda... uselessly small for a mobile layout? I doubt the desktop version of the forum's links for example are much smaller on my screen.

Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates

BBS Signature
Zhon
Zhon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Writer
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-04 00:29:41 Reply

NG article was cute and pretty spot on for me.

I am still sad that I don't have a way to get to the "latest" pages for games, movies, and art straight from the main page. The dropdowns were nice. For someone like me who spends half his PC time on shitty library Wi-Fi, having to nav through another page to get to the full list of latest art is a little annoying. $0.02

Then again there is plenty I'm not super fond of that's changing, but the same thing happened last time NG got a facelift and I grew to love it, so who knows :)

Duck.

sketchsumo
sketchsumo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-04 06:19:53 Reply

Owlboy looks amazing, I'm definitely going to make some pixel-art for it.

Zornuzkull
Zornuzkull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-04 06:24:09 Reply

Great now I can find mobile compatible games with ease...

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-04 08:34:16 Reply

At 11/3/16 07:49 PM, Masculine wrote:
At 11/3/16 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: I just played PIPTO on my phone and it plays great, despite sound not working in this case.
Unfortunately on mobile, voting on games is all but impossible since it's hidden until pressed but games aren't in the same screen.

This will get addressed when the game pages themselves move to the new layout.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-04 08:35:43 Reply

At 11/3/16 09:49 PM, Luwano wrote: Nice! Hope I can finish something for the Owlboy art jam!

About the site updates. Aren't those links kinda... uselessly small for a mobile layout? I doubt the desktop version of the forum's links for example are much smaller on my screen.

The footer hasn't really properly addressed mobile linking... Still depends on the hamburger menu for that but we should revisit it. Are you browsing with an old Safari browser? Looks like it doesn't have flexbox support.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-04 08:54:33 Reply

At 11/3/16 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: Owlboy Art Jam

After nine years of development, the beautiful and amazing Owlboy was released this week!

I remember when Owlboy was first considered to be vaporware. And the time after that. It's like the Duke Nukem Forever of beautiful indie games that actually released. It's the Pico School 2 of Duke Nukem fanmods. The Citizen Kane of movies.

I'm not going to say I'll something, because that'll jinx it. Get my fingers broken in a bad metaphor later just as the world conspires to keep me from starting it.

But I'll vaguely hint at it to appease my adoring fans (me and my mother). Nice article, too.

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Art Lover
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-04 09:09:22 Reply

At 11/4/16 08:35 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 11/3/16 09:49 PM, Luwano wrote: Nice! Hope I can finish something for the Owlboy art jam!

The footer hasn't really properly addressed mobile linking... Still depends on the hamburger menu for that but we should revisit it. Are you browsing with an old Safari browser? Looks like it doesn't have flexbox support.

I'm using the built in Safari browser for iOS 8.3, but I wanted to update to the newest iOS next week and would report back if anything has changed.

BBS Signature
Soupcat
Soupcat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Animator
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-04 09:20:31 Reply

At 11/3/16 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: If all this reminds you how much you love Newgrounds, consider becoming a Supporter! It's just $2.99 per month, you get a ton of perks AND you are helping to build the future of Newgrounds. Can you imagine if we didn't live or die by ads and could focus purely on making the site fun and filled with original content? With your help, it can happen!

Does that mean, if the site becomes fully self sustainable, we can bring hentai back? It might be a big incentive to become a supporter if reaching supporter goals means completely, 100% uncensored, creative liberty to post whatever you want. Another perk for supporters could be complete acces to the 18+ archive or something.
The thought just crossed my mind because of the article you linked, great read btw!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer

At 11/4/16 09:20 AM, Soupcat wrote: Does that mean, if the site becomes fully self sustainable, we can bring hentai back? It might be a big incentive to become a supporter if reaching supporter goals means completely, 100% uncensored, creative liberty to post whatever you want. Another perk for supporters could be complete acces to the 18+ archive or something.
The thought just crossed my mind because of the article you linked, great read btw!

Hentai has never actually been restricted (except loli), it's just been pushed under the carpet - you can still go to any art, movie or game section, adjust your filters and browse away if you have an 18+ account. The existence of that content on the site does continue to cause problems with advertisers (even when their ads are kept away from those pages) so it's still optimal to be 100% community funded, with any ads being a surplus that goes towards the fun stuff like artist payouts / sponsorships / contests.

BBS Signature
ScepterDPinoy
ScepterDPinoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Artist
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-04 10:38:23 Reply

Hey Tom are you able to post a fan art for Owlboy art jam for fun or are you busy with the contest and Newgrounds update in general?

I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make another fan art either pixelated or digitally traditional on my computer after posting two olwboy fan arts before the Owlboy art jam was announced.

I just beated the game in one day after the game launches and the ending surprises me off guard but I wouldn't want to spoil it.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-04 11:17:29 Reply

At 11/4/16 10:38 AM, ScepterDPinoy wrote: Hey Tom are you able to post a fan art for Owlboy art jam for fun or are you busy with the contest and Newgrounds update in general?

That's a good question... I should try to draw something. I really want to try a painter style, every time I've done that I've failed miserably.

BBS Signature
Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy

Have you got a chance to play Owlboy at all yet, Tom? What do you think of it as someone who's been watching it develop for the last eight years. I don't have much time to marathon even short games anymore, but I played through Owlboy in two sittings, it's like the love child of Cave Story, a Hayao Miyazaki film, and a touch of classic Nintendo. The gameplay is polished, the soundtrack is one of the best I've ever listened to, and the story has some genuinely touching and human moments that made even my jaded eyes water a little.

The biggest flaw is that I wanted more to explore and see, which is a pretty decent flaw for any game to have.

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
h2oOtter
h2oOtter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-04 15:32:54 Reply

Jazza's animation documentations are awesome (thanks for sharing, and also for lending your cool ideas; alongside so many other NG stars past hah)!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-04 15:42:46 Reply

At 11/4/16 01:35 PM, Jercurpac wrote: Have you got a chance to play Owlboy at all yet, Tom? What do you think of it as someone who's been watching it develop for the last eight years. I don't have much time to marathon even short games anymore, but I played through Owlboy in two sittings, it's like the love child of Cave Story, a Hayao Miyazaki film, and a touch of classic Nintendo. The gameplay is polished, the soundtrack is one of the best I've ever listened to, and the story has some genuinely touching and human moments that made even my jaded eyes water a little.

The biggest flaw is that I wanted more to explore and see, which is a pretty decent flaw for any game to have.

I've played a good bit of it at conventions but haven't actually played the final version yet - I bought and downloaded it but haven't been able to make time yet. From what I've played before though I'm a big fan!

BBS Signature
Wiesi
Wiesi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-04 16:02:18 Reply

Going to play Owlboy now!

Zerksisms
Zerksisms
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Animator
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-04 16:19:00 Reply

The article was bomb as hell the game looks like so much fun the art style is so vibrant and fun looking. Newgrounds keeps uping it's game.

JokerInc77
JokerInc77
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-04 21:22:14 Reply

Made my Fanart for Owlboy too!
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/jokerinc77/owlboy-fanart (Link to artwork)

Agitat0r
Agitat0r
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-04 23:18:13 Reply

i was half-hoping that Vice would shit talk about NG (as they often did). It came as a pleasantly surprise that how much they've praised NG.

Guide to Music Production
One of the things that I love about technology is that what pushes it up against the boundary of physics, so whatever works, works. ~ Hans Zimmer

MisMash
MisMash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Owlboy Art Jam & Site Updates 2016-11-04 23:33:30 Reply

The art for the game looks great. I'll defensively have to give this a try if I can.