XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2017-12-11 15:39:20 Reply

Nice to see changes and effort going into the mobile generation, gotta move with the future.

~X~

Voltage
Voltage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Animator
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2017-12-30 15:33:37 Reply

i think you will find this to be the most optimal layout, tom

Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread

At 4/8/16 05:36 PM, stafffighter wrote:
: Sweet. I'm gonna be a bard. This is a forum for support players after all.

Check out my dramockumentary about Maine!

BBS Signature
Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2017-12-31 10:31:42 Reply

Here's a mobile BBS design. It's missing a few things like quote buttons and reply box, but I thought I'd see how well this is received before I put more effort into it.

What do you guys think?

SukiWukiDookie
SukiWukiDookie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Artist
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2017-12-31 10:37:51 Reply

At 12/31/17 10:31 AM, Jin wrote: Here's a mobile BBS design. It's missing a few things like quote buttons and reply box, but I thought I'd see how well this is received before I put more effort into it.

What do you guys think?

A swell idea, fantastic, stunning. Brave. 10/10 5 stars!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2017-12-31 14:48:43 Reply

At 12/31/17 10:31 AM, Jin wrote: Here's a mobile BBS design. It's missing a few things like quote buttons and reply box, but I thought I'd see how well this is received before I put more effort into it.

What do you guys think?

Some forum users like when they were just represented by their level icon but most people nowadays want to be represented by their chosen user picture, so mobile threads would put more emphasis on those. We also have an ongoing issue with mobile pages where too many small buttons are close together, making it hard for users to tap on small screens, so that's something we try to keep in mind as things get tweaked. When the new user pages launch the blogs will give a decent idea of where that might end up.

I really enjoy seeing mock-ups regardless though; they are always full of little ideas and different ways to look at things! Is the first intended as a reply button or something else?

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2017-12-31 21:37:42 Reply

At 12/31/17 02:48 PM, TomFulp wrote: I really enjoy seeing mock-ups regardless though; they are always full of little ideas and different ways to look at things! Is the first intended as a reply button or something else?

I opted for level icons as a data-saving decision. Response moods might be more useful.
Custom user icons had a few problems. They take up too much screen space, which was something I avoided in this design, and would use up more data, however little that may be, and that didn't sit right with me.

The fist icon represents a supporter status. I considered the icons spacing/size too, and decided that they're fine assuming the link, PM, and block buttons aren't frequently used. They could be hidden in a dropdown arrow, which opens up a text menu with larger buttons.

:)

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Gamer
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-02-13 10:54:28 Reply

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I don't like the new layout of the web version because now there is a bar with my name and other icons like settings and logout not longer in the background.

C
C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Art Lover
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-02-22 11:17:29 Reply

What do you guys think?

This looks really nice, but I'd very much like more emphasis put on the user info like our profile pictures, signatures, and things like that. I know it's much more difficult with mobile layouts than it is with desktop layouts, but it wouldn't feel like the good ol' BBS without it.

I might knock something together myself in a month or so when I get back from my trip to Australia. Just too busy to really contribute much right now.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-03-01 00:17:51 Reply

At 2/13/18 10:54 AM, xAyjAy wrote: I don't know if this is the right thread, but I don't like the new layout of the web version because now there is a bar with my name and other icons like settings and logout not longer in the background.

What design would you prefer? Do you have a better layout suggestion?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Gamer
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-03-01 00:20:24 Reply

At 3/1/18 12:17 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 2/13/18 10:54 AM, xAyjAy wrote: I don't know if this is the right thread, but I don't like the new layout of the web version because now there is a bar with my name and other icons like settings and logout not longer in the background.

I liked the old design where that bar was in the background so it didn't overlap with some of the games. There are enough windows of videos and games that are too big to fit the screen so you have scroll up and down to see everything and the bar was in the background. Now those videos are even smaller...

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-03-05 02:38:00 Reply

At 3/1/18 12:20 AM, xAyjAy wrote:
At 3/1/18 12:17 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
I liked the old design where that bar was in the background so it didn't overlap with some of the games. There are enough windows of videos and games that are too big to fit the screen so you have scroll up and down to see everything and the bar was in the background. Now those videos are even smaller...

Having a way to change the design would be very useful. You could return everything to the older style, or try out the newer version at will. It would help to make everybody enjoy the mobile layout.

BBS Signature
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Gamer

At 3/5/18 02:38 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
Having a way to change the design would be very useful. You could return everything to the older style, or try out the newer version at will. It would help to make everybody enjoy the mobile layout.

I like that idea. I like it a lot. Can we implement it immediately?

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-03-05 17:48:27 Reply

At 3/5/18 12:45 PM, xAyjAy wrote:
At 3/5/18 02:38 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
I like that idea. I like it a lot. Can we implement it immediately?

Thanks, I do have good ideas all the time. lol
You can suggest it, and see what happens. Just don't forget to credit me with the idea. ;)

BBS Signature
randomweed420fun
randomweed420fun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-03-06 16:33:57 Reply

• creepy clown music
    creepy clown music by randomweed420fun

this song is free nonprofit and not copyright cause i don't claim ownership

Type
    Misc Project

approval89
approval89
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-03-25 18:51:15 Reply

Newgrounds is on mobile? That's Awesome!

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-03-25 23:02:51 Reply

At 3/25/18 06:51 PM, approval89 wrote: Newgrounds is on mobile? That's Awesome!

Yes, it is. It makes thing much easier when you want to check out NewGrounds on the go.

BBS Signature
Peregrinus
Peregrinus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-04-09 22:23:44 Reply

Just noticed an issue where if I vote on portal submissions on my phone, the review section shifts right a few pixels. It doesn’t always happen, not sure if its tied to type of file etc

iPhone SE, safari, vertical.

I did not tell half of what I saw, for I knew I would not be believed.
Flag stolen content. Audio Portal Cleanup || EGB
Newgrounds Brewmaster Association

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-04-10 10:02:57 Reply

At 4/9/18 10:23 PM, Peregrinus wrote: Just noticed an issue where if I vote on portal submissions on my phone, the review section shifts right a few pixels. It doesn’t always happen, not sure if its tied to type of file etc

iPhone SE, safari, vertical.

Oh weird... That whole thing is in the midst of an overhaul so we'll probably leave it be until it gets replaced with the new system.

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-04-16 14:59:51 Reply

At 4/9/18 10:23 PM, Peregrinus wrote: Just noticed an issue where if I vote on portal submissions on my phone, the review section shifts right a few pixels. It doesn’t always happen, not sure if its tied to type of file etc

If that is the worst problem That you ate having, than things are going really well with it. I get crazy issues like it won't load at all, or you have to keep resetting it. Ugh

BBS Signature
Raab
Raab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-04-20 03:20:40 Reply

Tom, will you be rolling out an app soon, or just a streamlined version of the mobile website?

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-04-20 07:09:19 Reply

At 4/20/18 03:20 AM, Raab wrote: Tom, will you be rolling out an app soon, or just a streamlined version of the mobile website?

For the near future the focus is on making the entire site work better and better on mobile. Trying to champion open web apps vs walled garden app stores.

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-04-30 00:53:52 Reply

At 4/26/18 09:43 PM, CalmBound wrote: There's seems to be an error or bug when the search results become transparent when viewing audio submissions..
Here's an example:

Did that issue ever get fixed? I have not experienced it before.

BBS Signature
Big-Boss
Big-Boss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Writer
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-04-30 03:21:37 Reply

Is there a way to make a news post on a mobile device yet? I've tried it before and it didn't work.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

Sig by Homicidee.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-04-30 09:32:18 Reply

At 4/30/18 03:21 AM, Big-Boss wrote: Is there a way to make a news post on a mobile device yet? I've tried it before and it didn't work.

That was gonna work when the new user pages launched but due to some issues we reverted back to the old posting form. That's still waiting on an update to the rich text editor.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-04-30 09:34:06 Reply

At 4/30/18 12:53 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 4/26/18 09:43 PM, CalmBound wrote: There's seems to be an error or bug when the search results become transparent when viewing audio submissions..
Here's an example:

Not fixed yet but the bug is logged.

BBS Signature
Quisty
Quisty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Art Lover
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-04-30 09:35:19 Reply

At 4/30/18 09:32 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/30/18 03:21 AM, Big-Boss wrote: Is there a way to make a news post on a mobile device yet? I've tried it before and it didn't work.

There is a loop-hole depending on the mobile browsers you use. If you go to options and check or click "Request Desktop Site" and then you can make posts, but it is glitchy and a bit small. There is how I've been doing it anyway.

But just remember I love u more and I loved u first. U fucked this up as always.
We should have been married long ago...with kids playing under the moon full of joy.

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-04-30 17:16:15 Reply

At 4/30/18 09:34 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/30/18 12:53 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
Not fixed yet but the bug is logged.

It will be nice when all the bugs are finally removed. Thanks for letting me know, Tom.

BBS Signature
LeafOracle
LeafOracle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-05-20 14:35:21 Reply

Definitely nice and easy to use on phones with this layout.

I do miss the grungy style from before though, I was hoping we could keep some of that art style, but maybe that's a future plan after the main layout is set in stone.

Either way, gotta move on with the times I guess.

Zophar
Zophar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Programmer
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-06-02 13:55:56 Reply

At 9/23/16 01:53 PM, TomFulp wrote: I'm creating this thread per @JK-FlipFlop's recommendation, so people have a place to give suggestions / complaints / questions about the layout changes as they happen.

We're particularly interested in your mobile experience on the new pages (currently just collections, the feed and a few scattered pages). If you don't like something, try to think of what we could change to make it better and clearly explain that change. If you're handy with Photoshop, mock-ups are especially fun.

If you don't have any feedback yet, try taking some time each day to check your NG feed. I've made mine a button on my iPhone homescreen, so I can check on it just like I do with Twitter. We already have a growing list if changes that are coming - for example the ability to like items directly in-feed and the ability to reply to items directly in-feed (you can currently reply to reviews in your feed but other items go to a new page).

So here your only talking about twitter. Because when I read the heading about a mobile layout I thought there would be an actual mobile newgrounds. But maybe someday you could make a mobile layout.

You got dat?

BBS Signature
RedeyestheSecound
RedeyestheSecound
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-06-14 04:34:59 Reply

please dont forget about roots of the PC users we need some help with google chrome and the 3dd games!!