VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 39
Writer
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2017-12-07 01:54:07 Reply

Please don't make the user icon round, it's a waste of creative space in a universe of 90 degree angles. If I want a cutesy picture frame, I'll go to Goodwill. If I want a round user icon, I can do that in a simple art program, though elliptical might be more fashionable lol

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.
If I'm not here, you can find me racing on GTA: Online, gamertag: VicariousE

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2017-12-07 05:43:07 Reply

At 12/7/17 01:54 AM, VicariousE wrote: Please don't make the user icon round, it's a waste of creative space in a universe of 90 degree angles. If I want a cutesy picture frame, I'll go to Goodwill. If I want a round user icon, I can do that in a simple art program, though elliptical might be more fashionable lol

Round user icons will always be a controversial decision... Luis was actually ahead of the curve when he used them in his layout mock-ups years ago but now pretty much EVERY website has gone round, which makes it a sort of universal language for what is a user vs what is content. They always end up feeling good to us when we try them in mock-ups, too, although tastes will vary there.

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
DamnedByFate
DamnedByFate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2017-12-07 13:19:25 Reply

At 12/7/17 05:43 AM, TomFulp wrote: now pretty much EVERY website has gone round, which makes it a sort of universal language for what is a user vs what is content.

Keep icons square and thus Newgrounds unique.

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!
On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.
Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature
XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2017-12-11 15:39:20 Reply

Nice to see changes and effort going into the mobile generation, gotta move with the future.

~X~

Voltage
Voltage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Animator
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2017-12-30 15:33:37 Reply

i think you will find this to be the most optimal layout, tom

Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread

At 4/8/16 05:36 PM, stafffighter wrote:
: Sweet. I'm gonna be a bard. This is a forum for support players after all.

Check out my dramockumentary about Maine!

BBS Signature
Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2017-12-31 10:31:42 Reply

Here's a mobile BBS design. It's missing a few things like quote buttons and reply box, but I thought I'd see how well this is received before I put more effort into it.

What do you guys think?

Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread

SukiWukiDookie
SukiWukiDookie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Artist
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2017-12-31 10:37:51 Reply

At 12/31/17 10:31 AM, Jin wrote: Here's a mobile BBS design. It's missing a few things like quote buttons and reply box, but I thought I'd see how well this is received before I put more effort into it.

What do you guys think?

A swell idea, fantastic, stunning. Brave. 10/10 5 stars!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2017-12-31 14:48:43 Reply

At 12/31/17 10:31 AM, Jin wrote: Here's a mobile BBS design. It's missing a few things like quote buttons and reply box, but I thought I'd see how well this is received before I put more effort into it.

What do you guys think?

Some forum users like when they were just represented by their level icon but most people nowadays want to be represented by their chosen user picture, so mobile threads would put more emphasis on those. We also have an ongoing issue with mobile pages where too many small buttons are close together, making it hard for users to tap on small screens, so that's something we try to keep in mind as things get tweaked. When the new user pages launch the blogs will give a decent idea of where that might end up.

I really enjoy seeing mock-ups regardless though; they are always full of little ideas and different ways to look at things! Is the first intended as a reply button or something else?

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2017-12-31 21:37:42 Reply

At 12/31/17 02:48 PM, TomFulp wrote: I really enjoy seeing mock-ups regardless though; they are always full of little ideas and different ways to look at things! Is the first intended as a reply button or something else?

I opted for level icons as a data-saving decision. Response moods might be more useful.
Custom user icons had a few problems. They take up too much screen space, which was something I avoided in this design, and would use up more data, however little that may be, and that didn't sit right with me.

The fist icon represents a supporter status. I considered the icons spacing/size too, and decided that they're fine assuming the link, PM, and block buttons aren't frequently used. They could be hidden in a dropdown arrow, which opens up a text menu with larger buttons.

:)

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Gamer
Response to Mobile Layout Suggestions Thread 2018-02-13 10:54:28 Reply

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I don't like the new layout of the web version because now there is a bar with my name and other icons like settings and logout not longer in the background.