PSA: Portfolio threads 2016-07-31 06:03:32
As you may have noticed, it is okay (and welcomed) to make threads in the audio forum where you post your own music.
However, we'd like to maintain a standard of quality for these types of threads, so people don't just spend 30 seconds making a thread called "Check out my music", drop in a link, and never return. The following are some guidelines for making and maintaining a good portfolio thread:
- Include your name in the topic title: The tried and true format is "<name>'s music thread"
- Talk a little bit about yourself and your music style in the opening post, perhaps discuss your musical background and what you use to make music. This can be helpful to other aspiring artists,
- Include a few tracks you've posted on Newgrounds (I think ~3 would be a sensible minimum for starting a portfolio thread.)
- When posting newly completed tracks in the thread later, talk a little bit about them instead of just dumping the link.
- Only start a portfolio thread if you have work to show off that is on Newgrounds.
- You do not need to be scouted to make a portfolio thread.
The main idea is that a portfolio chronicles your journey in music, while inviting feedback from your peers.